In the spirit of the HD 580, with current technology and optimizations learned throughout the series’ rich history, the HD 58X Jubilee is the newest evolution.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee

5/5,
kignt likes this.

Recent Reviews

1. Soham Sengupta
    The Best Headphones under $200!
    Written by Soham Sengupta
    Published Aug 28, 2018
    Pros - (i) Great Build Quality
    (ii) Exceptional sound quality at its price
    Cons - Some might feel the headphones to be uncomfortable (although after a few days, you will break into it)
    Introduction
    A company like Sennheiser needs no introduction. So, instead of telling you guys about the company, I will tell you why these headphones were created and why am I so excited to get these. In the year of 1991, a guy named Axel Grell had joined Sennheiser and he had created the headphones that had basically the first generation of the legendary 6xx series of Sennheiser, i.e., the HD 580 Precision.

Then after a few years he launched the HD 580 Jubilee which was basically a HD 600 and then later on released the HD 650, which even to this date, is used as a benchmarking tool for all other headphones.

But where does the HD 58X Jubilee fit in all this? This headphone is actually a collaboration between Massdrop and Sennheiser to actually bring back the old HD 580 which had started it all and this headphone has been tuned by Axel Grell himself!

I’ve had the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee for about a month now and have listened to them for a total time of at least 40 hours and have burned them continuously for 30 hours. I’ve used them mostly daily during this time period to listen to all genres of songs (rock, EDM, pop, movie soundtracks, Western classics, etc.).

Don’t want to read the full review? Here’s the takeaway:

At the price of $150, there is nothing that comes close to it in terms of sound quality.

But wait! Before you dive into the review, I have a quick disclaimer for you: I have bought these headphones from Massdrop with my own money and I have not been incentivised or pressurized by Massdrop OR Sennheiser to write this review for them. All the words used in this review are my own and this review is written in the most unbiased way that I could have done.

Now, on to the main review.

Unboxing the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee

Even though they are a $150 pair of headphones, I honestly expected a bit more accessories. The packaging is basic in every standard, although a tad bit more premium feeling than their own HD 598SE. I anticipate it to have at least a carrying case along with these headphones. Even though I won’t be taking them outside of my apartment, still I will rather have it inside a case than it rolling around on the floor!

The box of the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee

Upon opening the box, you will see the headphones themselves and the 3.5mm cable.

The packaging of the HD 58X Jubilee​

Stowed beneath the plastic box is the 3.5mm to ¼ inch adapter.

All the accessories that comes with the HD 58X Jubilee

The ¼ inch to 3.5mm adapter

So, to summarize, in the box, you’ll get:

• The headphones themselves.

• 1 6’ long 3.5mm detachable cable

• 1 3.5mm to ¼ inch adapter

So, basically, the packaging is again basic just like the HD 598SE.

Build Quality

The build quality of the headphones is excellent for its price, even though it is made fully out of plastic except for the headband size adjuster and the large grilles which are made of steel. To be honest, there is nothing much to say about its build quality. It feels rigid in the hand and it can flex to a degree which is great!

Again, like the HD 598SE, the ear pads are made of velour but this time, the pads are a bit harder, unlike the HD 598SE, which were much softer. But overall, these feel sturdy and I think it can take a few numbers of drops and remain as it was before it was dropped!

The headphones themselves

[​IMG]

The headband adjuster is sturdy and long, so there shouldn’t be issues with fit for these headphones

Ergonomics and Fit

Well, compared to the HD 598SE, these are a bit less comfortable. I mean, as a reference, the HD 598SE feels like a soft woolly muffler wrapped around your ears and these feel like 2 cups strapped to your head. Also, when you are using these headphones for the first time, you might experience pain on your temple like I did. This is because, the headphones have a tight fit around your ears. But after a few weeks, as you continue to use the headphones, the headband will loosen up a bit and it will feel more comfortable on your ears.

Also, due to this tight fit, the headphones won’t come of your heads like the HD 598SE does! So, you won’t have any type of fit issues like you had with the HD 598SE (where if you even sneezed, the headphones would’ve come flying off of your head!).

Noise Isolation

Now, even though these are open-back headphones, they don’t leak as much as the HD 598SE does, but still at full volume, people on a crowded bus will easily tell which song is being played.

Also, if you are looking for sound isolation, then look elsewhere because they let in outside noise due to those open grilles on both sides of the headphones to make you feel the sound is coming from the whole environment and not just from the headphones themselves. These are strictly for indoor usage.

[​IMG]

The velour ear pads have a nice feel to them and they are detachable

[​IMG]

The headband cushioning looks just like the one used in HD 650/6XX and is on the stiffer side

Sound Quality

Now, on to the most subjective part of the review: sound. Also, I won't be posting any graphs in this review, as I don't believe in graphs as much as I believe in my ears!

This time, I’ll be listening to the headphones via 2 modes:

1. PC -> Fiio Q1 (Mark-1) -> HD 58X

2. Asus Zenfone 5Z -> Fiio Q1 (Mk.1) -> HD 58X

I will also list the soundtracks that I’ve used for each section of my sound test. (Note: All my tracks are either 44 kHz / 24 bits – 192 kHz / 24 bit FLAC or DSD64/DSD128.)

Now, let me give you a small tip.

If you plan on purchasing these headphones or any other high-end headphones for that matter, I suggest you get a good DAC/AMP to go with it. It will go a long way to make your listening experience much more enjoyable.

Bass

Remember when I told you in the HD 598SE’s review that those had one of the most boring and flat sounding bass? Well, these headphones are just the reverse…. They have bass that can bring a smile to anyone’s face from a hardcore bass head to a proper audiophile.

These headphones have one of the best sounding bass that I have heard from a pair of open-back headphones at this price point! I have checked with Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, DT990 Pro, HD 650/6XX (this one has a deep bass, but it decays a bit slower than the HD 58X), Audio Technica ATH-M50X (not a fair comparison to be honest) and none of them had bass like this one had.

The bass in these headphones is one of the best, if not THE best I have heard from any pair of headphones at this price!

It is tight, fast paced, energetic and the best part is it does all that without bleeding into the mids. Plus, the rumble of the bass on these headphones are just incredible! Sennheiser has done an extraordinary job on tuning these headphones.

• Axel Thesleff - “Reincarnation”

• Martin Garrix - “Animals”

• Alessia Cara - “Here”

• Zara Larsson - So Good (album)

• Jordan Comolli - “Alone”

• Marshmello – “Alone”

Inside look at the driver of the HD 58X
    Mids

Sennheiser has done a splendid job in the mids' department! After listening to these headphones did I realize my old HD 598SE actually had the classic veil that Sennheiser was known and sometimes despised for. These headphones have much more full-bodied mids than the HD 598SE and even though these have more forward mids than the HD 598SE, they never felt shouty and too much “in your face”.

The mids are just perfect on these headphones. I literally couldn’t ask more at this price point.

People might seem to think after reading the bass part that there might be some issue with the mids of these headphones. Believe me when I say this: the sound signature is balanced (W-shaped in my opinion) with a slight priority towards the bass. The male voices sound best on these headphones as they tend to be a bit warmer than the female voices.

Both male and female voices in “Marvin Gaye” by Charlie Puth were easily distinguishable with both the female and male voice getting equal priority. Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect” literally sounds perfect on these headphones with the guitars positioned in the left and Ed seemingly singing and pouring his heart out beside me! Again, in Sigrid’s “Everybody Knows”, Sigrid’s voice sounds so mellow and soft with the piano in the background playing a dark note with the occasional drum beats, the song was taken to a whole new level! So again, full marks received by Sennheiser in the mids' department.

• Adele - 25 (album)

• Charlie Puth - Nine Track Mind (album)

• Ed Sheeran - X / Divide (album)

• Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward (album)

• John Newman - “Love Me Again”

• Elvis Presley - “Can't Help Falling in Love with You”

• Sigrid – “Everybody Knows”
    Treble

I don't know what magic Sennheiser has done on the HD 58X but even the treble sounds simply awesome! Let's start with those cymbals and hi-hats. They have great energy and decays very quickly and they never sound splashy (meaning the sound does not spread and stays in its place). Then comes guitar. Man, I simply love musics which only have a single acoustic guitar playing. Those are the best type of soundtracks to test a headphones’ capabilities.

With these headphones, you can hear the squeak of the guitar string in the greatest fidelity as the guitarist changes the chord. It's already getting difficult describing the quality of sound these pair of headphones produce. The guitar strings sounds natural to say the least and extension of the sound of the strings is just great.

Also, as you might have already guessed, there isn't the slightest hint of sibilance in most of the songs. Only in the most sibilant tracks did I get to hear that familiar hiss when the vocalist is pronouncing the “s”. Again, Sennheiser has killed it in the treble department. I am honestly not making this up, but these literally are an all-rounder pair of headphones!

Tracks used:

• Led Zeppelin - IV (album)

• Ed Sheeran - X / Divide (album)

• Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward (album)

• Pink Floyd - Dark of The Moon (album)

• John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco De Lucía - Friday Night In San Francisco (album)

• Ludovico Einaudi - Islands: Essential Einaudi (album)

Soundstage, Imaging and Separation

(a) Soundstage

Now, there are 2 ways to accurately measure a headphones’ soundstage. First, is to use well-recorded binaural tracks (see track list below for more info). The second method (which I personally prefer more) is gaming. I have used two games specifically for this purpose. One is the well known CS:GO and the other is Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (the latter is a much more immersive experience).

Now, soundstage. Even though these are open-back headsets, they didn't give me that same “wow” factor I had got when I had first tried the HD 598SE. This is simply because, these do not have as wide a soundstage as the HD 598SE. But on closer inspection, I noticed these were much accurate in their representation. In Senua's Sacrifice, there are voices whispering in your ears. Sometimes, in the HD 598SE, I felt the voices were all over the place. But in these, I could pinpoint the source of the voice. The same goes for CS:GO. When someone shoots at say my left, I could guess where they are accurately with these headphones.

Basically, what an open-back headset does is let the sound get outside of the headphones through the grilles or slits of the headphones. Since the sound now goes outside of the headphones, the experience feels as if the sound is coming from the entire room.

I have compared these headphones’ soundstage (in fact the total sound) with 4 other headphones namely, Sennheiser's own HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm and the HD 598SE. You can check it out in the comparison section of this review. For now, to sum it up in brief, I will say that even though they are not as wide as the HD 598SE they are as accurate as the HD 650.

(b) Imaging and Separation

The imaging and separation on these headphones are exceptional for its price. As a reference, its as detailed as the HD 650 except for a few micro details which I found somewhat hard to detect on these headphones but they were literally non-existent on the HD 598SE. As far as separation goes, I tried my level best to get it confused in busy tracks like the Fifth Symphony by Ludwig Von Beethoven, Richard Wagner's “Rise Of The Valkyrie” but it handled those songs like a champ. Literally, I am yet to find a flaw which annoys me on these headphones.

• Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward (album)

• Yosi Horikawa - Vapor (album)

• Led Zeppelin - IV (album)

• Beethoven - Symphony No.5 (album)
    Drivability

You may drive them out of a smartphone but only barely. A proper Digital Audio Player (DAP) or a DAC/AMP is definitely required to get the most out of these headphones. They have an impedance rating of 150Ω and a sensitivity of 104dB so, you might face a bit of difficulty while driving them out of your smartphones. Since these already packs a bit of punch in the bass department, I would suggest you to pair it with a neutral DAC/AMP like the Fiio Q5, Chord Mojo, etc.

Tracks used: Random

Comparison

Now, I am going to compare the HD 58X to 3 other headphones which are HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm and my old HD 598SE. I’ll be making the comparison a bit easier to read by indicating the superior earphone/earbuds with “<” or “>” or “=” (when they’re equal). So here we go!

• Neutrality: HD598 > DT990 > HD58X > HD650 (I felt the HD 650 tends to gravitate towards darkness, whereas the HD598 were the most neutral and flat sounding in the bunch with the HD 58X somewhere in the middle with its liveliness in its sound signature)

• Timber/Naturalness: HD 58X > DT990 > HD650 > HD598SE

• Detail/Resolution: HD58X = HD650 = DT990 > HD598

• Imaging & Positioning: HD58X = HD650 > DT990 > HD598 (I felt the imaging was slightly better than the DT990 Pro)

• Soundstage: HD598 > HD650 = HD58X > DT990 (again I felt the DT990 were slightly less wide than the HD 58X)

• Bass Quantity: HD650 = HD58X > DT990 >> HD598 (some people, after seeing HD 58X’s graph were thinking that these were going to be darker sounding than the HD650, but that's not the case. They have similar bass with the HD 58X having a bit more sub bass rumble in it)

• Bass Quality: HD58X = HD650 = DT990 > HD598

• Brand: Sennheiser

• Model: HD 58X

• Driver: 40mm Dynamic driver

• Impedance: 150 Ω

• Headphone sensitivity: 104dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms)

• Frequency range: 12–38500 Hz

• Interface: 3.5 mm / 6.25mm (via adapter)

• Cable Length: 6ft

• Weight: 260 g

• Interface Type: 2-pin connector

• Special Note: Made in Ireland
    Conclusion

At $150, I had a high expectation from the HD 58X. But after I tried them personally, only these 3 words came to my mind, “Oh my god”! I mean for $150, you are getting solid bass, forward and energetic mids and top-notch treble performance. It easily goes toe to toe with its older sibling, the HD 650 and there literally is no other pair of headphones that can come close to the sound fidelity it provides. So, I am bestowing upon the HD 58X, The Best Headphones under $200!

Link to original article is here.

images

Johnsouter, hqssui and voxie like this.
  2. SOULSIK
    My Adventure with the Sennheiser HD58X
    Written by SOULSIK
    Published Aug 21, 2018
    Pros - Absolutely beautiful sound. Price Point.
    Cons - none

Sound Quality
    I have been lucky enough to hear and review the HD6 family in the past and when I heard that the HD58x came out,
    I thought it was basically the HD580 revisited. This was not the case. The HD58x has a sound of its own,
    closely related to the HD600 and HD6xx/650. I go into more detail about the comparison in the video, but
    basically, I was very impressed. Also, this is a great gaming headphone for those interested in using it for that purpose.

Build Quality
    I do not think the HD58x falls behind in build quality especially when you look at it amongst $150 headphones.
    Again, I talk more about this in the video but I really love the looks and the build quality is the usual "sennheiser build quality," (whatever that may mean to you).

MODS
    There is a simple mod that came up as a question from my viewers. I address it and demonstrate it in the video. Simple mod but very big effect.
      Alex3221 likes this.
  3. turbomustang84
    My favorite Sennhieser 6 series at a fabulous pric
    Written by turbomustang84
    Published Jul 28, 2018
    Pros - Great Sound and price
    Cons - Absolutely none
    I have every one of the Sennheiser 6 Series except for the 660s and these can be driven off of a DAP or decent phone but still could use a bit of Amplification to reach their potential .

Glad I never gave away my home built Cmoy because paired with these makes the combo hard to beat .

these are great but if you are a big fan of jazz or classical I would go for the 600s or 650s but if you like punk , classic Rock or Metal or even Hip Hop these will serve you well.

the Highs are great the midrange is not as forward as others in the 6 series but the Bass and Sub Bass is phenominal.

some wont like them just because of their sub $150 price but do some honest blind testing and you will be shocked just how good these are
  4. WilliamLeonhart
    The HD6 for Everyone
    Written by WilliamLeonhart
    Published Jul 7, 2018
    Pros - - Retains much of the natural, high end signature HD6 sound. - More lively than previous models, so could be used for livelier genres. - Costs just $150. - Can be driven from laptops/phones without ruining the sound.
    Cons - - Too plasticky on the outside.
    Disclaimer: This review was written after just a couple of hours listening from my laptop and my phone - I'm away from home. It is not the ideal testing environment and obviously doesn't speak for many people here. However, I was greatly impressed by the HD58x, especially how good it sounds while being driven from such "normie" devices. The other reason for the quick review is IMO the HD58x isn't night-and-day different from other HD6 series models I've owned/tried. Both traits make the HD58x a true HD6 series for the everyday man - but still I'd look forward to seeing how it scales with better equipment. Will update the review when I come home.

It was in April and the reason I joined the HD58X’s drop was the HD6xx. Long story short, the HD6xx’s build quality wasn’t as crappy as I had feared – on the contrary it was quite good. So with the thought that Massdrop won’t ruin what I’ve come to love from Sennheiser, I blind-ordered the HD58x. There was no chance to audition the pair at the time, and sure there was this whole “we will re-tune based on your feedback” thing going on. But it was, as I proclaimed in the HD58x thread:

It’s a $150 Sennheiser. What can go wrong?

Design and Build Quality

IMG_4491.jpg
    If this doesn't say "cost saving", I don't know what does.

Here’s the thing with the HD6xx when I first got it on my hands: it’s way more plastic than I had thought. It’s so prevalently plastic, so obviously plastic that I felt a bit disappointed. But then, when that somewhat irrational feeling has passed, I was more happy than ever. The $200 HD6xx was a true HD650.

So I had to tell this story because if you have had a chance to try an Sennheiser HD58/HD6 series before, be prepared for that tiny bit of disappointment. The finish on the headband (and the yodels) look even cheaper than the $5 toys I bought for my son back in Vietnam. The cable doesn’t impress, either. Heck,I can even go so far as to compare the Hd58x unfavorably to the HD598 and HD558 (which I owned for ~ 1 year each) in terms of materials and finish.

Yet, to be frank, I don’t mind it a bit, because I’d fallen in love with the HD6xx before. Plastic is as plastic does.

IMG_4488.jpg
    Don't expect the HD800 or the HD660s' build quality, but still, it really doesn't matter.

All that being said, I still quite like the HD58x’s design – all because of the grill alone. While it’s nowhere near the original HD580’s level of refinement (look at those waves!), the grey-painted grill surely gives the HD58x a “new”, weirdly retro and distinct look, one that stands out from its more recent siblings. Yes, I like the way the HD600, 650/6xx and 660s show off their drivers housing, but this is way more refreshing.

Comfortable Enough

I'm an Asian. For me the HD58x is comfortable enough - I've been listening to it for 3 hours now. However, it does seem like the clamp force could hurt bigger heads. The headband is the same as the HD6xx so I don't have any problem with it either. The pads are on the stiffer side but will definitely soften with time.

IMG_4489.jpg

The more friendly Sennheiser

Before I get into detailing my experiences with the HD58x, I must first point out that there’re already many detailed reviews on the webz and well-written impressions in the HD58x thread. I’m also in a bit of an un-normal situation: I’m 14 timezones away from home; the only things I can use to drive the HD58x are my HP laptop and my iPhone 6s.

As you can see, Sennheiser and Massdrop’s words hold true. I was quite skeptical when I heard the 150-ohm HD58x can be driven by a mobile source, but here it is, sounding great from my iPhone at ~85% volume.

IMG_4485.jpg

Is the sound "great"? Oh yeah, the sound is the reason that I dared to write this review despite spending so little time (and with such embarassing equipment) on the HD58x: if you’d experienced the HD580, HD600, HD650/HD6xx or HD660s before, you will feel right at home with the Hd58x - even on non-ideal sources as mine. It still features the “no wow” sound that I had described about the HD6xx (in my review of the Burson Play): no harsh, edgy mids, no nostrils-rumbling bass, no honey-sweet mids and no artificial soundstage.

Instead, it’s got “natural” painted all over the place. Lovers of the Sennheiser HD6 series know this warm-ish and smooth-ish sound (the HD600 maybe not so much, but still). Lovers of the HD6 series know the full mids, the extending bass and the forgiving, lovely highs. I love the clarity and details here, as yeah, like they said in soooo many headphones reviews, I can hear instruments that my IEMs cannot reproduce. Do remember though, I’m not playing from my top-notch DAC/amp, I’m playing from my phone.

Unfortunately, my phone is way too far from a perfect source, and I’m seeing traces of an under-powered headphones. I think the bass could tighten up for the better. And, in certain passages, I’m still hearing “splintered” highs – guitar or cymbal “tick” that sound as if it consists of two different sounds. Speaking from my experiences of using the Audio Technica R70x (which surprisingly shares a lot in common with the HD600), I think these are symptoms of headphones being under-powered. The Realtek dac chip in my laptop or whatever it is in the iPhone 6s don’t help, and arguably my HD58x could still be going through burning-in. I’m not a firm believer of the burn-in concept, though.

IMG_4490.jpg

Regardless, I tried the HD58x with all my favorite music. It is truly versatile. On acoustic Vocals tracks, the high-ranges opens up the soundstage and mixes very nicely with the tender-feeling of the songs. But moving onto Metal, the drum kicks will fill up soundscape, resulting in a surprisingly lively experiences which I’ve never expected from the HD6 series.

My top favorite genres to try with the HD58x would be more or less cross-over ones, like (Symphonic) Gothic Metal, Fusion Jazz or Post Rock. It’s always nice to see your headphones moving effortlessly from one type of music to the next, rendering all kinds of different instruments without ever ruining anything.

Conclusion

Speaking of the HD58x, it is perhaps best to reference Grado. No, the HD58x doesn’t have the Grado sound, but Grado fans would know that, through out Grado’s history, all of their Reference Series models more or less share the same sound sig – the only difference lies in the level of refinement or a small re-tuning of low or high frequencies. Same words can be said about the HD58x and its lineage: the HD58x fits right into the HD58/HD6 family. There are audible differences, but, in the imaginary scenario that a lover of HD650 or the original HD580 is forced to live with the HD58x, they will just survive happily.

IMG_4486.jpg

Yet the HD58x has 2 important traits that makes it much more interesting than all of its siblings: it doesn't sound bad from your phone/laptop, and at $150 it still carry the signature Sennheiser HD6 sounds. I do feel that, at $150, the HD58x has a lot more in common with the HD600/HD650 than any products Sennheiser have sold at the price range.

And even when driven from my laptop, the HD58x definitely beats all the low-impedance sub-$300 headphones that I have ever tried. There can be nothing wrong with a Sennheiser bona-fide HD6 that is this easy to drive, sounds this great and costs this little. As such, I will happily bestow all of my 5 stars onto the HD58x, the first "HD6 for everyone".
      scolfax, Megazine, SolaVirtus and 2 others like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. WilliamLeonhart
      @caenlenfromOCN If you like impressive soundstage, I think it'll be hard to find in the Sennheiser HD6 family. A HD800 or an AKG K/Q7 will serve you perfectly.
      WilliamLeonhart, Jul 10, 2018
    3. WilliamLeonhart
      @smallcaps I think you'd find a nice-enough difference here. The HD580 and HD58x both share some familiarity but the HD58x should be much more "fun" than the HD580. I haven't tried the HD580 Jubilee though.
      WilliamLeonhart, Jul 10, 2018
      smallcaps likes this.
    4. meringo
      Yeah... the hype is real for this one. I sold my 6xx and am in love with the 58x. With a little exterior refinement, these could sell comfortably for $300.
      meringo, Jul 11, 2018
      WilliamLeonhart and tarhana like this.

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!