Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones

General Information

Portable headphone the on-the-go user

Latest reviews

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at the world’s best “non-headphone” headphone
Pros: Excellent tonality when EQ'd
Great tonality without EQ
Technicalities are good for it's MSRP
Comfortable clip ons for my average ear size
Cheap Price
DIY mods available
Cons: Shouty upper-mids to treble range (particularly the 2.5khz - 5kHz)
Bass dynamics and impact is mediocre
Technicalities are still a step below the $500 price bracket
Cheaply made - should this really be a con?

Preface​

Admittedly, the first Koss product I’ve tried is their Electostat, ESP950. I found that headphone to have a distinct presentation when compared against the planar and dynamic driver headphones I’ve tried. It presents notes in such a lightweight fashion that I feel there’s a lack of dynamic impact of the different instruments and vocals being reproduced. It’s a weird feeling, I will say that. Regardless, I found the Koss to be generally good sounding overall, with decent tonality and good technicalities. Build quality is something left to be desired, but the comfort is top notch given it’s large pads and feather-like weight.

Well, I'm going full circle and going to one of their best known budget offerings - the KSC75. I’ve seen it recommended on different forums for budding enthusiasts on a budget, and often see memes about it as well (mostly on reddit). I’ve also seen Crin, one of the notable reviewers in the community, giving it high praises for its performance. With that out of the way, I will also be going over them and seeing whether or not they live up to what Crin and others have said about them.

Accessories and Packaging​

Simple, efficient, and nothing flashy. In a way, I kind of like these types of no-frills, no attention grabbing packaging. It’s just simply open it, and use it - which in truth is what they’re supposed to provide, especially at this price point. You open them and you get the earclips themselves with the non-detachable cable and a small manual. Nothing else comes with it, although maybe my one wish is that Koss provides a detachable cable option for these at a higher price tag (maybe using MMCX or 2.5/3.5mm cable connector) - that would be a nice option to have.

Aesthetics, Build, and Comfort​

Well, I don’t know about aesthetics as these look like typical clip-on headphones that I see from the likes of Panasonic, Sony, or even JVC. They look weird when being worn, I’ll say that much. It won’t win any awards in making you look good.

Funny enough, I didn’t know how rigid or how far I could adjust the ear hook, and accidentally tore one of the ear clips apart from the main drivers by accident upon first opening them. I thought I had already broken it at that point, but then realized the design is a simple clip-on that can be re-attached. Nice - not something that breaks easily like other $20 unknown brands that sells earphones/headphones. You get more than what you pay for in that sense for this type of mechanism.

In terms of comfort, yeah they’re really comfortable, even more comfortable in a sense compared to the HD800. The sole reason being that these are simply so lightweight that the clip-on mechanism is hardly noticeable. I feel most ears would find this very comfortable, except maybe for the weird shaped or the larger than average ears out there.

Sound​

I would be referencing Crin’s measurements as it appears to be closest to how I hear the KSC75. It doesn’t seem that these really need an amplifier and can work out of my Macbook Pro just fine, and without a noticeable improvement in quality when going with a dedicated amp like the iFi Micro BL.

For reference, the type of music I listen to are Alt Rock, Classic and Ballad Rock, EDM, English and Asian Pop, some hip-hop/rap, some acoustic, and OSTs. I usually listen anywhere between 60 dB - 75 dB.

Tonality / Overall Signature​

My first thought upon hearing the KSC75 was that there’s a noticeable lack of bass presence, mostly from the 80Hz to below, and it shows in the measurements. A severe roll-off from 100Hz and lower. However, it only gets better from there. The mid-range to treble balance is overall great! Although the higher than average upper-midrange can make vocals that hit this region a bit shouty, I would consider this excellently tuned overall. It looks like another headphone that I think I would agree with Crin’s description - this is a bass-light neutral in tonality.

If I break down each section:

Bass
  • Definitely could use some more bass extension
  • Bass is there and you can hear it, but it’s neither impactful nor has enough presence for a lot of modern tracks I listen to. It’s just there
  • On busier tracks, it’s hard to distinguish the bass notes
  • Overall, a clean bass presentation that doesn’t bleed into the midrange

Midrange
  • Lower midrange seems almost perfect to my hearing, linear from around 200Hz up until before the 1kHz rise for the ear gain
  • Male vocals and lower piano/guitar tones have good weight note and texture
  • There is a higher than average upper-midrange, particularly in the 2.5kHz - 5khz region - which lends to a little shouty vocals that hit this region
  • To add to the point above, it renders some vocals/instrument range that utilize this region to be slightly thin in note weight and come across as “intense” to put Crin’s words. But, I don’t find this flaw very detrimental for the rest of the midrange in my opinion. Disclaimer: Opinions may vary on this one
Treble
  • Overall great balance - nothing triggers my sibilance sensitivities
  • Maybe lacks the last bit of extension to give instruments more space in the presentation, a minor nitpick to be honest
  • There’s a slight “grain” that’s noticeable for some very specific songs, but not for others, especially when the consonant range are being pronounced - but I think I would factor in the intense 2.5kHz - 5kHz region to play a part in this perception
  • Overall the treble balance is excellent from 6khz and above

My only real complaint about the tonality is the slightly aggressive 2.5khz to 5kHz region, whereas I just need to lower that part down and the tonality is already perfect for me when listening to these (while adding more bass quantity of course).

Fantastic sounding pair from Koss, I can’t really complain about the tonality and I whole-heartedly agree with Crin’s review on this one. I know some of you don’t hear “ear-to-ear” with him and how he ranks certain IEMs / headphones - and I can understand that perspective to an extent. There have been a few models that he has rated that I don’t completely agree with, but for the most part, he has been accurate with respect to how I hear such headphones/IEMs.

Now, my only word of caution regarding the tonality is that aggressive upper-midrange area. If you are one who is aware of being sensitive to frequency spikes within that region, maybe this might trigger them. At this price point though, I don’t think you’d be losing really anything if you’d like to demo them from the likes of Amazon. This upper-midrange to treble intensity, mixed with the lower than average sub-bass to mid-bass impact, lends to the perception of finding them “bright” and “thin” sounding. I’m not one to argue with that notion.

Detail Retrieval (Resolution) and Dynamics​

At this point, I may sound like shilling them, but it’s hard not to when the product performs well and beyond what is expected at their asking price. Detail retrieval I find is competitive up to the average $200 range, meaning along the likes of the Audio Technica M50, Shure SRH750DJ, and the Sennheiser Momentum (OG). The KSC75 I find, is not as resolving to the likes of the HE-400/500, Focal Clear or HD800 though, as the finer details in busier tracks are harder to distinguish.

Dynamics also seems really good for its price point. There’s a good dynamic range when moving from the lowest volume piece to the loudest, while having a good attack of instruments. I will put it a bit behind the likes of something like the Hifiman planars, and further from Focal’s dynamic presentation. BUT, the transients are not too blunted and can make songs engaging, I will say that for sure.

Head stage and Imaging​

Surprisingly, I find the stage width here to be “average” - meaning I can perceive the stage width to be up to my shoulder length. On that note, imaging seems to be fine for me. I haven’t noticed any flaws that would deter from the overall presentation. It’s not a 3-blob type of effect, nor is the center image disoriented that could confuse my perception of where instruments are coming from.

One thing I’ll note is that the stage is not as “tall” or as “enveloping” as most over-ear headphones given their design of sitting on your ears and not completely covering them. These will never have the effect of the HD800 or HE-400 that covers my whole ear which adds to the immersion of the audio perception. If you value that immersive qualities that most over-ears bring, then I would not put this as a contender.

Timbre​

Most of the instruments and vocals sound correct to me, in that it sounds like I’m listening to a good set of speakers. The higher than normal peaks at 2.5khz - 5khz is what’s contributing to the slightly “shouty” quality of instruments and vocals that hit that range. Further, it can make weight notes sound thin when hitting this region, similar to hearing a singer live with an open stage.

I digress, timbre is correct for the most part. The upper-midrange shout is akin to hearing a live concert in an open venue, whereas my experience with that is the speaker set tends to present vocals and instruments “thinner” sounding. This part needs some correction and I'm glad EQ can address it.

EQ​

Really, the two biggest corrections I would apply to these are lowering that upper-midrange and increasing the bass region. For the entertainment of the community, I use the following EQ corrections to make it slightly “warmer” sounding:

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 35 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 0.52
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 69 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 3.46
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2393 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 2.12
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5746 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 2.41

You can play around with the bass values as you see fit. I would expect most who already love the KSC75 as is would find these EQ applied maybe “losing sparkle”, “ losing air”, or something to that effect. I get that, but I feel that’s needed to make them sound more ‘correct’ - although they already sound excellent as is and your ears tend to adjust to a tonality if you keep listening to it for a while.

The one thing I hear with the above EQ is that it adds some of that note weight back in the lower midrange to balance out the male / lower toned midrange instruments. I don’t notice any distortion when applying such EQ, so this is a big plus for them as well. The setting above simply makes them sound almost perfect to my ears in tonality.

One last note is about the bass setting above. I’m using that setting mixed with the iFi Micro BL XBass boost on - which lends the bass impact and quality to my desired preference. YMMV and you can try increasing/decreasing that to your preference. I haven’t increased it further than that and it may introduce distortion, so do it with caution.

Conclusion​

I don’t think it’s fair at this point to be comparing these to headphones that are higher priced, because it’s already performing beyond that in terms of pure tonality. In terms of tonal balance and performance, I would pick these over the Focal Clear. One of the main reasons is that the KSC75 doesn't trigger my treble sensitivities like the Focal Clear does. Further, the staging and imaging is about on par between the two with the types of tracks I listen to. Where I would pick the Clear is when I’d like to listen to tracks and specifically look for better bass quality and dynamics - two qualities that the Clear has in spades.

To that end, I think these simply deserve the praise they get. The technicalities I find are also on par or even better in some regards than the majority of the headphones within the $200 price bracket that I’ve managed to demo or own. I can understand why Crin praises them highly, and it’s great to see Koss still selling these… thing.

They’re very affordable for the masses, can be modded for DIYers out there, and I think are comfortable for the majority given their design of simply hanging on your ear while being light - so no added weight or pressure on your ears. Putting in EQ on these also gives them the potential to sound better, and to my ears, reaching my ideal tuning for neutral.

Kudos Koss. Please never stop creating these. I’m slowly evaluating the reason for hanging on to higher end headphones like the HD80, although the HD800 still retains a party trick that is hard to ignore when switching between the two. For the types of music I listen to, these are simply great all rounders. I don’t really need to nitpick all the details, nor do I need to have the widest of head stage. Most of the time, especially while I'm working, I just want something that has excellent tonality while being comfortable, and these fit the bill just nicely.

If you’re NOT like me and are looking for better technicalities, I’m confident you’ll be able to find them as you go up the ladder. However, keep in mind that just because they have better technicalities, does not mean that they have a better tonality. Very few headphones I have heard thus far are better tuned than the KSC75, even when EQ’d.

The people I would NOT recommend the KSC75 to are people who are looking for a good bass impact or looking for sub-bass boost in what they’re listening to. Even with EQ and iFi’s XBass boost, I find it still lagging behind an EQ’d Elegia or HE-400 in terms of bass performance. So, there are those people that wouldn’t bother with these for that specific quality they’re looking for.

Now, my overall grade would be the following:

• Stock tonality - 8.5 / 10
  • EQ’d tonality - 9.5 / 10
  • Technicalities - 7.0 / 10
  • Comfort - 10 / 10

I’ll be giving these my first 5 star review on head-fi. I may sound like I’m shilling (and I would think I don’t shill if you look at my previous review articles), but really it’s hard not to sound like one when price-to-performance is off the roof. If any friend or family is looking for a recommendation for a good sounding headphone/earphone, I will point to this thing first and foremost. Yeah, they’re that good, while not really looking that good on you, and I think anyone can shoot their shot with these without losing more than $30 USD.

Probably next on my things to try on the IEM side is the Sony MH755, which many also seems to praise. They’re a bit harder to find nowadays with a lot reported fakes being easy to grab in the market as well.

My biggest curiosity now is how does the Focal Utopia/Hifiman Susvara stack up to how well tuned the KSC75 is. I’m expecting big things for those TOTL models and simply being “technically” better won’t cut it for me.
Thanks!

Yeah I saw his points and they look to be a lot darker sounding than the stock sound, and darker than the adjustments I made. I don't like adding a high-shelf on any headphone and would rather fine-tune the midrange to treble frequencies. Bass on the otherhand, is more acceptable to me for applying a shelf.
J
Jimmyblues1959
Really thoughtful review! The KSC 75 might be inexpensive, however, it's organic sounding and faithfully honors the music. It's one of the truly outstanding values to be found in the Head-Fi hobby. 😊
descloud
Agree to that @Jimmyblues1959, it should be a starter pack for anyone getting into hi-fi headphone/earphone gear.

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Extremely good vocals/mids/treble
Bass tightness/speed
Huge soundstage
Details/instrument-separation/imaging/timbre
Extremely comfortable/lightweight
Acoustic music god
VALUE!
Cons: Very low bass quantity/extension/rumble
Plastic build
Non-replaceable cable
Not very versatile
No accessories
No L/R markings
Isolation/sound-leak
20201117_140333.jpg

Disclaimer: I bought this at my own expense at amazon.se

Price: 20-30 usd (I paid 30 usd)

Specifications:

Frequency response: 15-25,000 Hz

Impedance: 60 ohms

Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/1mW

20201117_140437.jpg

Accessories:

None

20201117_140527.jpg

Cable: A simple cable that is the type that is on most mainstream products. Durability should be fine due to the thickness but the weak point is most likely the connectors on the drivers themselves as they don’t have any strain relief there. It has a diagonal plug at the 3.5mm connector.

20201117_140544.jpg

Build: The build quality is like a double-edged sword; it is plastic (not very high-quality plastic) but is also very lightweight due to it. Very minimal adjustments can be made in terms of adjusting the angle of the driver. Unfortunately, no L/R markings.

Fit: Very unique fit but no problems for me. Although it doesn’t fit secure enough to be used in physical activities.

Comfort: Extremely comfortable and almost weightless on my ears. Very little heat generation due to the fit (no clamp since it doesn’t have a headband). It shouldn’t be a problem even for hotter countries.

Isolation: Basically, non-existent isolation and it leaks a lot of sound, definitely not something to use in a public place like a library.

Setup: Ibasso DX160 (high gain, volume around 45), stock cable, stock pads

Lows: Very clean bass due to it being very tight/fast but extension and rumble is extremely bad so it is not suited for sub-bass focused genres like EDM, Hip-hop, Trance. Mid-bass on the other hand is better in quantity but is still lacking, but it is very suited for acoustic tracks.

Mid-bass: Metallica – fight fire with fire (01:11-01:52), Very good speed, tightness and texture so it sounds extremely clean and no signs of bloat at all. Quantity is fine for this track but I prefer a bit more so it is more fun. The (02:55-03:01) section is very good and you can hear the chopper very well.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Pretenders (01:18-01:47), Very tight and fast, but is lacking some quantity along with texture to make it fun and to make it more tonally correct (it needs to be warmer).

Sub-bass: Djuro – Drop that bass (01:15-01:30), Extremely bad extension and non-existent rumble. The punch is clean because of its tightness/speed but is also lacking a lot of quantity along with texture.

Will Sparks – Sick like that (03:08-03:22), Very tight and fast but is lacking quantity and texture.

Mids: Extremely high-quality female vocals and very good male vocals. Balancing between male/female vocals is leaning a bit more towards female vocals due to the overall tonality being on the brighter and thinner side. Male vocals are a step behind the female vocals in terms of quality, due to it sounding a bit too bright/thin. But both male/female vocals are very detailed and sounds very clean.

Female-vocals: Hiroyuki Sawano – OldToday (01:25-01:52), Stunningly good, the tonality is very good for this, thin but not too thin and not too bright. Vocals are very clean and detailed. Excellent timbre, just a little bottlenecked in terms of naturality due to the low bass quantity making it lack a bit of warmth for the instruments.

Yuki Hayashi – MightU (01:58-02:55), Extremely natural and tonality is correct.

Evanescence – Bring me to life (01:18-01:35), A bit too bright tonally and a tiny bit shouty.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Crescent (02:07-02:26), Is a bit shouty and too bright tonally.

Male-vocals: Hiroyuki Sawano – Pretenders (00:57-01:17), Needs to be a bit warmer for both his vocals and the instruments, but otherwise very clean and natural.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Scapegoat (00:57-01:17), Lacks some warmth but is very clean and natural.

Treble: Linkin Park – Shadow of the Day (03:24-03:42), Not sharp at but is a bit too bright.

Deuce – America (03:03-03:16), Tonality is too bright.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Lose (string version) (01:22-01:59), Tonality on the violins are very good, but texture could be better. Cello´s needs some more warmth but is better textured than the violins.

Hiroyuki Sawano &Z (02:18-02:57), Very natural and clean sounding, but needs a bit more bass quantity.

Soundstage: Huge soundstage in both width/depth but is wider and is very airy.

Tonality: Bright-neutral with excellent timbre. Thinner note weight but not too much so it becomes analytical.

Details: Very impressive amount of details (and yeah, the tuning does have its inherent benefits to the technicalities).

Instrument Separation: No problems at all, very impressive (low bass quantity and very fast/tight certainly helps it a lot).

Music: Fate grand order Babylonia – Hero´s mission, sounds absolute fantastic with its natural timbre and the huge soundstage makes it epic while the technicalities can keep up.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Because we are tiny in this world, extremely natural despite the bass quantity being very low. Somehow sounds fun (with low bass quantity) and yet is very clean and detailed.

Songs that highlight the Headphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsXur-NbfG8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf_Z68c4LQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLhafvJvPUI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek7C5GurYOw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-mrXzjQo4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_11HaH4mE

Good genres:
Acoustic music, OST

Bad genres: EDM, Trance, Hip-hop, R&B

Comparisons:

Headphone: Koss Porta Pro, stock cable, stock pads

Bass:
Djuro – Drop that bass (01:15-01:30), Better extension and rumbles much more on the Porta. While the 75 has a faster and tighter punch so it is much cleaner, texture is similar on both.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Pretenders (01:18-01:47), Bloated bass on the Porta, while it is very clean on the 75 due to its much faster/tighter bass. Texture is a bit better on the 75.

Metallica – fight fire with fire (01:11-01:52), While speed is somewhat similar, the Porta is extremely bloated due to it being very loose. To the extent that it almost sounds like sub-bass rumble instead of mid-bass punch. Individual bass strikes are meshed together on the Porta while it is extremely clean and detailed on the 75. No contest at all, the Porta is literally dying from blood loss (bass bleed).

Mids: Hiroyuki Sawano – OldToday (01:25-01:52), Tonality is much better on the 75, while it is too warm and dark on the Porta. Much cleaner and detailed on the 75 as well.

Evanescence – Bring me to life (01:18-01:35), Tonality is much better on the 75 and is much cleaner and detailed. The bass on the Porta is affecting the tonality very bad (too warm).

Hiroyuki Sawano – Scapegoat (00:57-01:17), Tonality is more correct on the Porta, but is much cleaner and detailed on the 75.

Treble: Linkin Park – Shadow of the Day (03:24-03:42), Tonality is better on the 75 and is cleaner, more detailed and more natural.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Lose (string version) (01:22-01:59), Tonality is a bit better and more textured with the cello´s on the Porta. Violins are much more tonally correct and textured on the 75. Much cleaner, detailed and natural on the 75.

Hiroyuki Sawano &Z (02:18-02:57), Better tonality, detail, cleaner and more natural on the 75.

Technicalities: Shiro Sagisu – Hundred years war (02:24-02:57), Soundstage, detail, instrument separation and timbre are on another league on the 75.

Overall: The 75 beats the Porta on pretty much everything except bass quantity. So, for bass focused genre like EDM, Trance, Hip-hop and R&B, the Porta is more suited for those. While the 75 is better on everything else. Although if you want most fatigue-free sound, the Porta is better due to having both lower treble quantity and much more bass quantity.

Earbud: NiceHCK DIY MX500, stock cable, full foams

Bass:
Djuro – Drop that bass (01:15-01:30), rumbles and extends a bit more on the MX500. Punch quantity is also a bit higher on it. The 75 is tighter, faster and has a bit more texture.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Pretenders (01:18-01:47), Quantity is similar but is tighter, faster and more textured on the 75.

Metallica – fight fire with fire (01:11-01:52), a bit more quantity on the MX500 but faster and tighter on the 75 while texture is similar.

Mids: Hiroyuki Sawano – OldToday (01:25-01:52), Similar tonality but much cleaner and more detailed on the 75.

Evanescence – Bring me to life (01:18-01:35), MX500 is a bit more tonally correct and less shouty.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Scapegoat (00:57-01:17), more tonally correct on the MX500 due to having some more warmth (due to having a bit more bass quantity).

Treble: Linkin Park – Shadow of the Day (03:24-03:42), less fatiguing on the MX500 and also more tonally correct.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Lose (string version) (01:22-01:59), Cellos are more textured on the 75 but similar tonality and timbre. Violin timbre is a bit better on the MX500 but has similar tonality and texture. Cleaner and more detailed on the 75.

Hiroyuki Sawano &Z (02:18-02:57), Tonality is better on the MX500 and sounds more natural, while it is more detailed and cleaner on the 75.

Technicalities: Shiro Sagisu – Hundred years war (02:24-02:57), Soundstage, detail, instrument separation, imaging and timbre are better on the 75.

Overall: The 75 has better SQ and technicalities but is less versatile due to it having less bass quantity (not that the MX500 would suit bass heavy songs much more than the 75 though…). The 75 is perceived as being brighter overall all due to the bass quantity but treble quantity should be similar.

Headphone: Blon B20, Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Memory Foam, YY 16 core cable 3.5mm

Bass:
Djuro – Drop that bass (01:15-01:30), Extends and rumble much more on the B20. Texture is a bit better on the B20 and has more punch quantity. Tighter and faster on the 75 and is cleaner and more detailed.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Pretenders (01:18-01:47), Similar quantity, but tighter, faster and more textured on the 75.

Metallica – fight fire with fire (01:11-01:52), Faster and tighter on the 75 while texture is similar. Individual bass strikes on the B20 is pretty bad and not very accurate.

Mids: Hiroyuki Sawano – OldToday (01:25-01:52), Tonality, details and clarity is better on the 75. But the difference in timbre is very big, the B20 sounds very unnatural.

Evanescence – Bring me to life (01:18-01:35), Tonality is a bit better on the B20 and is less shouty.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Scapegoat (00:57-01:17), Tonality is a bit better on the B20 due to it being warmer, but again the details, clarity and timbre is much better on the 75.

Treble: Linkin Park – Shadow of the Day (03:24-03:42), Tonality is a bit better on the B20 due to it being warmer, but again the details, clarity and timbre is much better on the 75.

Hiroyuki Sawano – Lose (string version) (01:22-01:59), Everything is better on the 75….

Hiroyuki Sawano &Z (02:18-02:57), Everything is better on the 75….

Technicalities: Shiro Sagisu – Hundred years war (02:24-02:57), Soundstage is deeper on the B20 while width is similar. Details and instrument separation are better on the 75. Imaging is similar. But the timbre is disgustingly bad on the B20, extremely unnatural.

Overall: DO NOT BUY THE B20! It doesn’t offer anything over the 75 despite the giant price difference and on top of that it also doesn’t have the godly mids that planars should have while it has a very unnatural planar timbre across the entire range.

Conclusion: In conclusion, for acoustic music listeners, the Koss KSC75 is a 5/5. But If you aren’t only listening to acoustic music, then it is a 4.5/5 because the bass quantity is bottlenecking it a lot for other genres. Thanks for reading.

Reference/test songs:
Last edited:
RikudouGoku
@LordZero Thanks! Weird indeed, about the porta pro. I do have a lot of power with my Ibasso DX160 but it was still fatigue free for me, due to its low treble quantity.
1Q84
1Q84
Try some yaxis on the porta pro, it really tames the bass if it's too much for you ootb, it also lifts the mids and treble noticeably. Though, with the 75s I like the stock pads enough. If ever someone is pressed on cash and still wants to enjoy good SQ, these 2 Koss can be really endgame material in terms of portability, price and SQ. I feel like everyone who's just starting in this hobby should get these first, as they will clearly give you an idea how the diminishing return works in this hobby.
RikudouGoku
@1Q84 they are quite expensive for me to get with shipping and import fees. I got the Sony mdr-1am2 for a bassy set, so no need for me to upgrade the Porta pro.

sirkuttin

Head-Fier
Pros: cheap, moddable, great sound
Cons: ugly, ugly
Wanted to share with you all my history with modding these.

FIrst, I saw the kramer mod and figured I could do a little bit better. (easier and than drilling a lot of holes)
I decided to fully open this puppy up.
I went to the dollar store and got a stainless steel sink strainer. This woudl become the new baffle.
I removed the original black plastic baffle from the headphones.
I cut circles of metal sink strainer and epoxied them to the front of the headphone.
Now the speaker had a uniform opening to breath.

After doing the above mod, I put the foam ear pads back on. They were quite a bit brighter than I wanted. So that is why the original Kramer mod is the way it is!

Next, I bought some knock of sennheiser px 200 ear pads. I figured these move teh speaker a bit away from the ear. Better sound balance and sound stage I thought! I installed these and they were much better balanced and soundstage might be a little better a little deeper. BUT the midrange now has a honk.

Time to modify the px200 pads. I realized that the pleather was covering 3 very large side vents on the back of headphones. I cut a bit of the ear pads to unblock these vents and bam. They sound superb now. I would suggest for anyone wanting to mod the pads to perforate the pleather. maybe stabbing it a lot with a needle? micro hole punch? These pads are a lot larger then the stock foam, you will probably need to bend the ear hook to accommodate.

Finally, if after doing the above, they are still too bright for you, you could always install the foam ear pads underneath the px 200 pads. let me know how that goes for you.

Silly Side Note: I admit I am crazy. Before I made these modded Koss, I bought some hd6xx, fostex ebony (stock, zmf and brainwaves hybrid pads) and schiit jotunheim  w/ DAC. I did not like the hd6xx at all with the jotunheim, sold them. I liked the fostex and the effortless bass. The stock ear pads suck because uncomfortable, the hybrids also suck because treble peaks, the zmf pads work nicely. Yet still, I am selling the ebonies and the jotunheim. As of now, I am perfectly content with these Koss and my LG V10. It's just a much more simple setup. I am planning on getting some custom iems to supplement the koss because these things are so ugly I won't go outside with them. For biking and working out I have the se215 on a westone mmcx bluetooth cable.
Reactions: asymcon

Comments

There are no comments to display.