iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory

3.66667/5,
  1. Grimbles
    I didn't think I had a use for it... but I do!
    Written by Grimbles
    Published Apr 16, 2018
    Pros - Small, cheap, helpful little gadget
    Cons - Nothing of note
    Quick Read Conclusion

The iFi Audio iEMatch (the "iEMatch") is a handy little device which helps to eliminate hiss and hum for sensitive earphones (and is particularly focussed on IEMs, hence the name). It does the job well, at a reasonable price, and has the added benefit (in 3.5mm form) of being suitable for both SE and balanced cabling. If you are plagued by hiss and buzz from your sensitive IEMs, or want to use IEMs with kit which is normally a bit too noisy (like a valve amp) an iEMatch may well be worth a look at, especially given its reasonable price point.

Introductions and General Bumf

Test Kit: I have tested the iEMatch with Shure SE215, SE425, Ultimate Ears UE900s and Campfire Audio Polaris IEMS. I didn't bother using it with my proper cans (KEF M500 and Sennheiser HD600) as I've never heard hiss or buzz on them. In terms of source components, I have plugged the iEMatch into a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, Schiit Vali 2, Pioneer XDP-30r, an iFi Audio Nano iDSD Black Label a random aeroplane and a low quality dell computer monitor speaker.

in pio 2.5.jpg in pio 425.jpg in pio polaris.jpg in pio ue900.jpg in s8 nice.jpg in s82.jpg

The switches on the 3.5mm unit let you choose between balanced and se modes, and high and ultra sensitivity. The 2.5mm unit is fixed in balanced mode so only has 1 switch.

Me as a listener: I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination. I have always enjoyed my music, and my tastes are pretty broad. I go to live music ranging from rock and pop concerts to orchestra and opera. I would not describe myself as having a trained ear, but I am attentive and my ears are in pretty good nick for a 34 year old.

Affiliations

For the avoidance of doubt, this review is my honest personal opinion, I am not affiliated with iFi Audio, and have received no inducement from iFi Audio (or anyone else) to write this review. I was sent the iEMatch (both 3.5mm and 2.5mm versions) by iFi in exchange for my honest review. Once I am done with them, I will be sending them back to iFi. I would like to thank Karina and the team for giving me the opportunity to review some more of their products.

What and Why?

You know that feeling when you have an awesome pair of £2,500 IEMs but their ultra-sensitivity creates annoying buzz and hums? Me neither! But this is a truly first world problem which iFi are trying to solve with their iEMatch.

You will have seen from my kit list above that I don't own any IEMs which fit into the ultra-sensitive bracket, but I still found quite a few uses for what turned out to be a handy little piece of kit!

Unboxing

Unboxing of the iEMatch is a lovely experience with a quality feel. The boxes for the 2.5mm and 3.5mm versions are (almost) identical, with the exteriors noting the differences between the two. The only specific difference is that the 2.5mm unit does not contain the airplane adaptor. Not sure if this is just because these are testers but will update once I have heard from iFi. In the box, you get the iEMatch, warranty card and paperwork, (in the 3.5mm box) an aeroplane adaptor, a pair of earplugs (see below) and a crushed velvet type bag to hold it all in.

UB1.jpg UB2.jpg ub3.jpg ub4.jpg ub5.jpg ub6.jpg UB7.jpg

A noisy amp? Problem solved.

I have a Schiit Vali 2 in my home rig, a lovely amp, which I use predominantly to drive my HD600s. Every now and then, it I useful to be able to listen to IEMs on this set up, but I rarely do, because (even on the low gain setting) there is a very audible buzz at low music volumes. The iEMatch completely resolves almost all buzz, even on high gain, including on my CA Polaris (which is, to my ear, the most sensitive of my IEMs and certainly reproduces the Vali 2 buzz the loudest). You can still (just about) hear the buzz at high gain with the volume cranked up, but this would be so loud it would probably explode the IEMs!

in vali.jpg

Only got a line out/overly powerful output? Problem solved.

I also have a monitor speaker at work which has a pretty loud electrical buzz on it (so bad that it makes the headphone port on that speaker completely unusable to anybody who cares about what they are hearing) and also has such a bad volume control that it either pumps out dangerously high volume or nothing at all! The iEMatch both cuts the electrical noise out below my hearing level, and enables the volume to be turned up, making the speaker jack usable.

Just for laughs, I also plugged the iEMatch into the line out from my Nano BL, and the result was a listenable volume.

in nano LO.jpg

Want to use good IEMs on an aeroplane? Problem solved.

On a recent flight, I plugged the iEMatch into the aeroplane's inflight entertainment system (which is often a big mistake due to high volumes and electrical noise). The iEMatch performed admirably, eliminating the unpleasant noise and emitting sensible volumes direct into my UE900s.

Got a child who cranks up the volume? Problem solved.

My 3 year old cannot watch anything on the iPad without the volume at max. No matter how many times she is told to turn it down, you look back a moment later and she has cranked it up! I worry about her ears… but the iEMatch deals with this quite well – insert it between the iPad and her headphones, and the volume is much more limited meaning max volume is no longer too loud!

Mook.jpg

Need good, comfortable earplugs? Problem solved.

I just want to mention how good the earplugs which the iEMatch ships with are. Their ergonomic shape, and firm foam mean that I have worn them for hours with absolutely zero ear fatigue. In an open plan office environment, I have also found their bright colour helpful, as people can see I not just being rude! These are the best set of foam earplugs I have ever used, and I will be buying more.

EP1.jpg EP2.jpg

And the sound?

This is a tough bit. Honestly, I can say I have found the sound transparent. That is, other than reducing volume and hiss, I don’t find that the iEMatch materially alters against the source. I even tried plugging into the Nano BL's normal headphone output and 1-2ing against the Nano BL's built in iEMatch, with no discernible difference to my ears.

When I first reviewed the Nano BL, I said "If I'm being very picky, I would say that the IE Match port sounds ever so slightly veiled compared to direct, particularly in the mids with guitars. But it's slight, barely noticeable, and wouldn’t stop me from using it for IEMs."

I stand by this in respect of the standalone iEMatch. If I am being ultra-picky, there is a very slight veil but I can only notice it on a track I really know very well, and am used to listening to good recordings of, on good sources. Otherwise I simply can't hear a material difference, other than a lowering of volume.

Conclusion

I found the iEMatch to be a really useful gadget, especially in 3.5mm form (switchability from SE to balanced mode means I would recommend buying one of these and a 3.5mm->2.5mm adaptor rather than both the 3.5mm and 2.5mm versions, and also the 3.5mm version comes with an airplane adaptor where the 2.5mm version does not). If you need to eliminate hiss or buzz (whether or not using ultra-sensitive IEMs) from an audio source, or you want to reduce the volume from an overpowered output, the iEMatch is a wonderful little contraption.
      linux4ever and jaekyll like this.
  2. Kervsky
    Magical Pixie Nugget
    Written by Kervsky
    Published Apr 15, 2018
    Pros - It reduces hiss/noise, it reduces output impedance, restores lost dynamics
    Cons - Volume loss could be less, can lead to a long chain of adapters
    [​IMG]

iFi Audio is a company that doesn't need a lot in terms of introduction as they are well known for their various amp solutions and multitude of accessories that aim to help different levels of audiophiles to hear audio nirvana. This relatively new product, the iFi IEMatch was released sometime last year and comes in two flavors. What I have here is the 2.5mm version, which I bought for the purpose of using with my DAP, this has some differences with the 3.5mm version and I'll discuss it along the review. On the box, it promises lower noise and increased dynamics and is considered a headphone audio optimiser (yes, it's spelled that way, see below) but does it?

[​IMG]

The package is one small cardboard box sealed in vacuum plastic.

[​IMG]

With lots of information on the back about what it does and what's it's made of.

Specifications:
    Ultra (-24dB) & High-Gain (-12dB) sensitivity adjustment
    6N silver/copper matrix wiring with FINAL6063-T5 aluminium-magnesium alloy shell
    Gold-plated printed circuit board with audiophile components (eg MELF resistors)
    Gold-plated 2.5mm male/female connectors
    Input Impedance: 16 Ohm
    Output Impedance: < 2.5 Ohms (High-Sensitivity)
    < 1.0 Ohms (Ultra-Sensitivity)
    Weight: 12.2g
    Total Length : 116mm

[​IMG]

Inside is an information leaflet, a black velvety pouch, ear plugs in a cutesy case and the iEMatch itself.

[​IMG]

Under the ear plugs you can see a nice little "Thank you!" sticker, that is if you actually took it out or have x-ray vision.

[​IMG]

The pouch when un-rolled is big enough to hold your iem, cable and the iEMatch in one go. It's not the most luxurious of pouches but it has a nice soft feel to it.

Now if you notice, the 2.5mm male plug has that black oblong covered space which one could mistake for an aesthetic touch. It is actually a vestige of the 3.5mm version, it is where the switch for single and balanced output was placed. So aside from that and the actual plug types used, everything else is the same as the 3.5mm version including the aircraft aluminum body and all the high end pretty cables it comes with.

[​IMG]

The whole reason for this add-on to exist of course is it's ability to lower his and output impedance and thereby return the lost dynamics from noise and high impedance devices. In this case scenario, the iEMatch does work, and there are may citations of hiss reduction from devices like the Questyle QP2r and CEntrance Hifi-M8 around the net so I won't bother with that part. What I will focus on is it's ability to reduce output impedance.

There are 2 modes for this:
    High: reduces Output Impedaance to less than 2.5Ω (-12db in volume)
    Ultra: reduces OI to less than 1Ω (-24db in volume)

As most of you probably know, the Hiby R6 has an output impedance of 10Ω and that causes some frequency responses to shift around, most notably on low impedance Balanced Armature driven IEMs. This I have experience on my Campfire Andromeda (12Ω thereabouts) wherein there was a shift forward in the frequency response with less bass, a bit more forward mids and highs had near sibilance.

[​IMG]

Using the iEMatch on the Hiby R6 with the Andromeda on High settings was enough to restore the sound to what I was familiar with, though some may argue it's not enough (citing the x8 OI 'rule' like the ten commandments - ex. high (2.4Ω) x 8 = 19.2Ω is what impedance the head gear 'should' be at for that setting) and that Ultra should be used (ultra (0.9Ω) x 8 = 7.2Ω which is below the impedance of the Andromeda.)

In either switch, the Andro did exhibit more dynamic range than it did without the iEMatch on the R6 and has effectively restored it's original frequency response slash sound signature, which is proof (for me) of the claims it promises.

[​IMG]

So why would someone want the iEMatch (both versions) for themselves? If you have ear gear that hiss/gain noise with your source or you have sources with high output impedance (like certain DAPs and Amps) then this is something you would appreciate having for your listening pleasure.

The iEMatch 2.5mm version was bought at 3,060 pesos (or around $60 US) and is more expensive than it's 3.5mm counterpart by a few hundred pesos at the local Egghead Audio store.

Pros: It reduces hiss/noise, it reduces output impedance, restores lost dynamics

Cons: Volume loss could be less, can lead to a long chain of adapters

Nitpick: Volume loss could be less, but I realize that's just part of how it works. Did we really need the ear plugs?
      slankoe, snellemin and tarhana like this.
  3. NaiveSound
    Ifi iematch
    Written by NaiveSound
    Published Aug 7, 2017
    1.0/5,
    Pros - None
    Cons - Sound quality takes a hit
    Just a garbage product all over., hinders audio quality, it removes hiss from sources when played with sensitive iems/hp. But at a great cost to audio quality, this isn't a solution, it's trash. There are other attenuators but this one at least looks ok. In hifi... Any performance improvement is great, this does thr opposite, I returned it the first day
    1. csglinux
      I agree with your review. Well, maybe there's one pro - it can reduce/eliminate hiss. But it does so at the expense of changing the FR. I agree the sound quality takes a hit.
      csglinux, Mar 22, 2018
      NaiveSound likes this.
  4. ExpatinJapan
    An ifi iEMatch made in Heaven
    Written by ExpatinJapan
    Published Aug 3, 2017
    Pros - Decreases hiss, increases dynamics, solves impedance issues.
    Cons - An additional dongle.
    Ifi IEMatch Review And Impressions - Expatinjapan

ifi iEMatch review

ifi iEMatch review
    -expatinjapan

ifi iEMatch! What does it do? No one seems to know.
    Its like some magical unicorn that lurks about on Groundhog day spreading glitter upon the Earth.
    so lets find out.

The ifi website explains it quite thoroughly though:

`The iEMatch® solves the bane of headphone listening by removing hiss and improving dynamics. As most IEMs and headphones are too loud at even half the volume level, listening enjoyment is always curtailed. No more with the iEMatch® in the signal path.
    Use the iEMatch® when the headphones/in-ear monitor (IEM) is either too loud and/or there is excessive hiss from the music source. From Smartphones to airplane in-flight entertainment systems, powerful headphone amplifiers, the iEMatch® improves musical enjoyment by:
    1. Background noise – significantly reduced
    2. Dynamic range – more open, transparent
    3. Volume control – increased usable range
    The solution? Add the iEMatch® in-between the headphone and the amplifier. Set to high or ultra-sensitivity, sit back and enjoy the music.`

[​IMG]

At times due to the over use of ifi website quotes this `review` may read more like a promotion piece.
    My apologies, the source material explained much more concisely and clearly the intended use and aim of the iEMatch device.

Specifications:

Ultra (-24dB)& High-Gain(-12dB) sensitivity adjustment
    TRRS-Balanced® for Single-Ended and Balanced operation
    6N silver/copper matrix wiring with FINAL 6063-T5 aluminium-magnesium alloy shell
    Gold-plated 3.5mm male/female connectors
    Input Impedance: > 16 Ohm
    Output Impedance: < 2.5 Ohms (High-Sensitivity) < 1 Ohms (Ultra-Sensitivity)
    Compatible Headphone impedance: 16 Ohm to 600 Ohm rated impedance
    12.5 Ohm minimum impedance
    Weight: 12.2g
    Total Length : 116mm
    Whats in the box?

[​IMG]

Quote: `The iEMatch® is packed using premium components from 6063-TS aluminium –magnesium alloy through to the signal transfer cable which is a 6N silver copper matrix.`

[​IMG]

Quote: `Included in the iEMatch® packaging are; a velvet pouch, gold-plated airplane adapter and memory-foam contoured ear plugs (-37dB) for peace and quiet when traveling.`

Balanced or Single-Ended for 3.5mm

Explanation via the ifi website:
    `AMR/iFi would like to use the iEMatch® to introduce its proposed new industry standard for single-ended or balanced operation. The 3.5 TRRS-Balanced headphone jack.
    There is only ONE option that makes sense, in a commonsensical context. The 3.5mm TRRS Jack is widely adopted in Smartphones and connectors, both plugs and sockets are easily available. Having 4 connections (like the 4-pin XLR), it is ideal for balanced headphones.
    Headphones may be fitted with TRRS Jack and a switch to alternate between unbalanced mode (even with microphone) for direct connection to a Smartphone and to balanced mode for use with suitably-equipped DAP/DAC/Headphone Amplifiers.
    The ‘TRRS-Balanced®’ system by iFi provides a way to select the TRRS plug to offer either a balanced connection or a single-ended one.
    The iEMatch® uses 3.5mm TRRS connections on both ends and is fully-balanced, so it takes full advantage of the balanced wiring in suitably-equipped headphones.
    If the attached headphone is single-ended without microphone, iEMatch® is automatically converted to unbalanced operation. For any unbalanced source with a microphone connection or any unbalanced headphone with a microphone, simply switch the TRRS-Balanced® selector to ‘SE’ and convert iEMatch® to unbalanced operation.`

[​IMG]

Sensitivity can be set to High sensitivity (2.5 Ohms) or Ultra sensitivity (1Ohms) output impedance.
    High or Ultra Sensitivity
    Explanation via the ifi website:
    `When listening to music, ‘better dynamics’ is preferable. Or more precisely, a wider ‘Dynamic Range*’ to allow the full openness of a recording; from the upper treble of a cymbal to the deepest bass rumble of a kettle drum to shine through.
    *Defined as the difference between the maximum usable sound level and background noise level. Usually, a higher ‘dynamic range is better’ as there is more music to enjoy and less noise to annoy.
    Having very sensitive (very loud) headphones means both the self-noise of the source AND the sound level is boosted. This is far from desirable. And to add insult to injury, the sound volume must be reduced to get comfortable listening levels. What is left is more noise and less dynamic range!
    Technical example:
    If a source has (say) 114dB dynamic range and the Headphone is 30dB too loud, once the volume has been turned down 30dB the dynamic range is reduced to 84dB, or below CD quality, from what is an excellent result for a high-solution source.
    With Headphones, especially those that significantly reduce background noise (IEM, noise-reducing etc) excessive levels of electronic background noise quickly become annoying, so noise should always be kept as low as possible.
    It literally defeats the object of building a system around an expensive high-resolution headphone amplifier when the volume must be backed off so much that the resulting background noise is so high, quality is reduced to below CD or MP3 audio quality.

[​IMG]

By using iEMatch® one can reclaim 12 or 24dB lost dynamic range; as needed to get the most enjoyment from the source; from modern high-resolution recordings down to MP3, the difference is there to be heard.`

Does it work?
    It most certainly does. I tried it with a number of earphones that I have that are more sensitive than others.
    Although I am not a hiss master like my friend Nathan of Ohm Image, I can still pick up on it.
    The Andromeda some find have a bit of hiss at times which often seems largely source dependent.
    I decided as my main experiment I was going to use the CEntrance Hifi-M8 which was originally designed as an all rounder but packed the power for even full sized headphones (CEntrance later released the Mini-M8 which was more designed to cater to IEM users).

[​IMG]

The CEntrance Hifi-M8 later added an option to have the gain lowered to meet the needs of IEM users. I was able to do this with my ipod touch and Flacplayer app which has a gain option, although at the time I had mainly headphones and DD earphones.

[​IMG]

I demoed several earphones and choose the CEntrance Hifi-M8 as it can be tricky with some IEMs that are of the balanced armature type.
    Most Daps these days have a lower floor noise. I did do some brief testing with the iBasso DX200, Opus#3, Hifiman MegaMini and Opus#2. And although the iEMatch performed successfully as expected, it wasnt as needed on these particular daps as much as some other devices would.
    I tested with a range of earphones: Campfire Audio Andromeda, Nova, Jupiter, Dorado, advanced AcousticWerkes W300U, Jomo 6R and Jomo PLB, iBasso IT03.
    I used a variety of cables, stock and after market of the single ended 3.5mm kind.
    As already noted the iEMatch performed as promised, reducing hiss, improved the possible overall dynamics in some cases and gave more space on the volume pot.

[​IMG]

The ifi iEMatch retails at around US$49. Which is a nice price I think for this device.
    definitely affordable.
    It certainly comes in handy when using devices that have a higher output impedance which rips the intended sonic signature of multi driver BA IEMs to bits, and often causes an accompanying hiss.
    Also it does what it states:
    `The iEMatch® solves the bane of headphone listening by removing hiss and improving dynamics`
    Its an elegant solution to a common problem, and at an affordable price.

[​IMG]

Overall
    The iEMatch although seemingly a simple device simply solves many possible issues that a listener made face in an easy and (once again) simple matter, although the device itself is not mere simple piece of design and manufacturing.
    This `review` quotes a lot from ifi website and at times reads like a unpaid promotion of the device. This is merely that it was the easiest way to communicate to you the reader what this device is, what is does and how it works.
    And does it work as intended? yes, a simple and elegant solution for many problems that plagues the usual audiophile, especially the ones who have portable rigs and sensitive in ears.

[​IMG]

Thank you to ifi for sending Head pie the ifi iEMatch for review
  5. MikePortnoy
    IFI Audio iEMatch Review
    Written by MikePortnoy
    Published Dec 26, 2016
    Pros - Eliminates hiss, no significant change in sound
    Cons - Switches could be stronger
    Introduction:

The IFI is a co-brand of AMR Audio that is known by its famous audio gears such as DP-777. They produce many different audio components: digital audio converters, amplifications, speakers, cables, and active noise cancelation units. The IFI provides four main product lines: Nano, Micro, Retro and Pro. In the Nano Line, there are smaller units compared to the Micro Line. In the Pro Line, they offer Pro iCAN tube amplifier and there are stereo components in the Retro Line. IPurifier2, Gemini and Mercury cables that are included to this review can be seen in the accessories and power sections in the IFI website.

The IFI provides a large product range most of which are multi-functional with multiple outputs and inputs. It is highly possible to find beneficial and cheap solutions to close the gaps of the portable systems. As we all know, a system is no stronger than its weakest part.

1.jpg

IFI IEMatch:

IEMatch is one of the IFI’s newest units. According to the company, it removes hiss and provides a more dynamic presentation.

It offers a balanced plug that allows using it on sources that have balanced outputs. In addition, there is a switch on the plug for a range of output style from single ended to balanced.

On the male part of IEMatch, there is a 3.5 input and a sensitivity switch. When IEMatch is plugged to the source, earphones may need more driving power due tothe extra resistance created by IEMatch. On the ultra mode that is suitable for very high sensitive earphones, some smartphones may not reach enough loudness and driving power due to too increased ohm value. On the other hand, that wouldn't be problem for sources that are already very powerful such as desktop amps.

2.jpg

The plug and the male part of IEMatch have an aluminum body, but the switches might be a little stronger. According to the website, IFI utilizes silver-copper conductors for a better sound transmission.

In the package, there are a soft carrying case, an airplane adapter, and earplugs. In this regard, IFI offers rich accessories for those who frequently travel via airplane.

3.jpg

I tested IFI IEMatch on Chord Hugo, Lotoo Paw Gold, and IPhone 6. The tests maintain similar results; IEMatch relatively eliminates hiss arising out of the source with a slight change in the sound.

Some results from different custom monitors:

Please note that the differences are not significant.

4.jpg

Westone ES60: The space around instruments becomes cleaner by a small margin.

HUM Pristine: The midrange becomes a little laid-back.

Noble Audio Katana: The mid-bass now has more control.

AAW W500 AHMorph: The high frequency becomes smoother and sub-bass is slightly tighter. The space around instruments becomes cleaner.

Final Words:

IFI IEMatch is a nice travel accessory that can be purchased for $49. It is easy to use and can be considered as a daily unit. Although it increases the resistance by a significant value, it eliminates hiss considerably. Please check the IFI website for more information about IEMatch.
      jaekyll and EagleWings like this.
  6. Hisoundfi
    Eliminate background hiss, EMI and source mismatches with the iEMatch from iFi
    Written by Hisoundfi
    Published Dec 6, 2016
    Pros - Eliminates the need to own several impedance adapters, Runs inline with sources and earphones, Incredibly smart design, Easy to use
    Cons - No adapter for 2.5 mm balanced TRRS
    As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in today’s market are incredibly sensitive. What happens as a result is many of these earphones have a background hiss or will pick up digital noise. It can get really annoying, especially when trying to use an earphone of this type (or any other sensitive earphone for that matter) with our favorite portable sources like DAPs, and portable DAC/Amplifiers. If we are going to shell out large amounts of cash on a high end earphone, we don’t want to be burdened by background noise, right?​
     ​
    One of the ways to address this is with impedance adapters. Different adapters are currently sold in various impedances. Although it does help (and basically does what I’m about to cover in this review) there are drawbacks to this. First and foremost, when dealing with different impedances, the sound of our favorite in-ear monitors can change with the impedance adapter used. Second, different impedance adapters can not only impact the sound differently, it ends up being a specialized case for many of our earphone and source matchups. This means that people with several sources and earphones need to own and use several different impedance adapters. ​
    20161015_103203_HDR.jpg
    20161015_103212.jpg

I personally lean towards simplicity in my audio chain. I see some of the rigs on Head-Fi and shake my head at some of the portable set-ups I see. In my opinion, if you need a wheelbarrow or backpack for your portable rig I don’t consider it portable.The less stuff you have to stuff in my pocket the better. That includes impedance adapters. The folks at iFi have recognized the issue and brought to market a device that makes a lot of sense. Introducing the iEMatch from iFi. ​
    20161015_103307.jpg
    20161015_103258.jpg

20161015_103355.jpg
    The package contains a velvet carrying case that is big enough to hold your iEMatch, the included airline jack and earplugs, and possibly a pair or two of in-ear monitors (not included). ​
     ​
    The iEMatch is not some revolutionary technological advancement, but I find it to be a great companion for earphone enthusiasts like myself. It’s an inline chain that eliminates the need to use various impedance adapters. ​
     ​
    Have a sensitive pair of earphones that picks up background noise from whatever source you want to use them with? Its as easy as plugging the device into your source’s jack and using it as a bridge from the source to your earphone, then using the switches to dial in the type of source you’re using, and resistance needed to use your earphone without signal noise. ​
    20161015_103459_HDR.jpg
    iEMatch has two switches. The first one is to adjust from High sensitivity to Ultra sensitivity (pretty self explanatory). I’m happy to say that the iEMatch was able to address issues with EVERY pair of in-ear monitor and portable source I used. With the iEMatch, picking out a source and earphone has become a much easier task. I can grab what I want to use for the day and go. As long as I have the iEMatch, the issues of background hiss and EMI are eliminated. Just for the record, the ieMatch also works with most desktop rigs as well. Most importantly, the iEMatch didn't significantly alter the sound like some impracticly applied impedance adapters do. With the flip of a switch I can dial it in and find the right setting to eliminate signal noise without significantly altering the sound of my sensitive earphones. ​
    20161015_103507.jpg
    The other switch is to switch the jack (that plugs into the source) from 3.5mm balanced TRRS to standard 3.5 mm TRS. That’s right, you can use your earphone with a 3.5 mm balanced source. While I find this to be a nice touch, I wish iFi would have figured out a way to also use the device with a 2.5 mm balanced jack as well. As it stands, a majority of sources in today’s market uses 2.5 mm balanced TRRS as opposed to the 3.5 mm TRRS application. ​
     ​
    The iEMatch can be purchased on Amazon market for $49 USD. While it does come in at a higher price than a few impedance adapters, this is a convenient product that will be a must have for those of us who have several in-ear monitors. I have already mentioned this device in several reviews. It addresses one of the main gripes people have for sensitive earphones. Many TOTL earphone manufacturers are already including them with the sale of their low impedance earphones. Here is a link for more information and purchase:​
     ​
    Thanks for reading and happy listening!​
    20161206_164041.jpg
    Fiio X7, AM3 Amplifier Module, iFi iEMatch, Noble K10E Encore Universal

Baycode, SpiderNhan and peter123 like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Hisoundfi
      Hey Baybars, the V10 recognizes the ieMatch as a "normal" impedance device. Even with high impedance earphones linked in the audio chain the V10 recognizes the ieMatch as low normal aka low impedance.
      Hisoundfi, Dec 14, 2016
    3. avitron142
      I noticed you made a distinction between this and "regular" impedance adapters. Is there a different technology used, to show that it doesn't alter BA drivers like impedance adapters do, or is it just your ear?
      avitron142, Dec 19, 2016
    4. Hisoundfi
      It changes the impedance, so there is minor differences in sound with multi-armature earphones, just like an impedance adapter. The difference is that it isn't as significant because there are options to change the impedance with the switch on the ieMatch. You can dial it in easier than owning and swapping out a different adapter
      Hisoundfi, Dec 19, 2016