The ROCOO–p. (Power version) ROCOO-p is one of the most powerful DAP in the market. It can work...

HiSoundAudio RoCoo P

Average User Rating:
4.38462/5,
  • The ROCOO–p. (Power version)

ROCOO-p is one of the most powerful DAP in the market. It can work well with wide range of earphones which are covered from the IEMs to the most of the full size headphones.

Rock, pop and other music genres with modern instruments need a specially DAP to present the adequate speed and impact bass. But most DAPs are lack of power for the dynamic sound, It’s symptom are anemic, hollow, weakness and harsh.

ROCOO-p applied the exclusive high power earphone amplifier which has 50mW rated out put power. This stronger power make you give up the burden of the bundled external earphone amplifiers.

ROCOO-p is inherited with the circuit design of our flagship player of STUDIO. So, it has the excellent sound quality. Plus the “modern music” oriented auditioned, make ROCOO-p is specially suitable for the electronic music. You will hear the punch bass with deeply extended. The bass of ROCOO-p is featured with details, laying, and creaming which is very comfortable. Still, the ROCOO-p is not the bass-head style DAP, it is overall balanced. Also, ROCOO-p basically is neutral sound signature which is not over to color some frequencies. So, ROCOO-p is fit for most earphones and most music genres which make the DAP has big value for extracting the potential of you collections of earphones.

Slim body, strong power, stylish appearance, wonderful music reproduction and reasonable price, all this make the ROCOO-p become the temptation for the music lovers.

Frequency Response: 10Hz-21kHz
    Impedance: 32 ohms
    Signal-to-Noise: 96dB
    Memory capacity: 4G+expanding SD card slot.
    Card Compatibility: MicroSD, HCSD
    Battery capacity: 600Ma rechargeable Li-ion battery
    Battery continually playing time: > 10hours (volume @ 3)
    Proprietary Power Saving technology: EMA Techonology (Energy Management and Admeasurement Technology)
    Screen: 1 inch OLED
    Color available: Brushed black
    UI Operation: Mechanical key button operation (one-hand and blind operation capability)
    Weight:110G

Recent User Reviews

1. arjane
    "Portable player with Great SQ"
    Pros - excellent sq, sound stage, power, portable, battery life, build quality
    Cons - user interface, slow boot, finger prints, 4gb internal memory, equalizer
    What i really love about this player is its wide sound stage and sq. Every time i listen to it with my headphones or iem's, it blows me away.  I spent hours of listening to it everyday.

It can drive many iems or headphones because of its built in amp. it has lots of power.

The battery can last 8-10 hours of continuous playback.

The build quality is solid and it doesn't feel cheap.

Sadly this player has its cons.

User Interface and equalizer- The user interface is basic and the equalizer to me has no purpose. The only preset that i find good is the nature setting.

Slow boot- it has a 4gb internal memory and since my songs are in flac and wav format it requires a lot space so i got a micro sd. When a micro sd is inserted, the time for it to power on takes longer than usual.( especially if you have many files)

fingerprints-glossy materials, prone to scratches.

Despite the cons, i would still recommend this because we all love great sq.This is one of the best portable player out there; bang for the buck!
    H20Fidelity and irie like this.
  2. irie
    "Amazing Sound"
    Pros - wide soundstage, good highs and lows, incredible mids
    Cons - finger prints and user interface
    One of the best sounding dap with lots of power.
  3. paulmvg
    "The search for the perfect DAP and amp has ended"
    Pros - Sound quality
    Cons - Size, UI, short battery life
    I never expected that such device will be the perfect complement for my trusty HD 25. All the cons I picked up upon hearing my HP were all remedied by this wonderful DAP (thanks to its built-in amp). The sibilance went away, better bass extension and mids are among the improvements it gave. Oh, I almost forgot, the soundstage became wider. Definitely a must buy for all HD 25 owners. :)
  4. vbvb
    "Rocoo P - Highs Mids and Lows"
    Pros - Sound Quality, Build Quality
    Cons - Read through the impressions
    When I was looking for a good quality portable driver, predominantly for use while traveling and at desk, I came across some very positive reviews and impressions for Rocoo P / BA / Studio. I was immediately drawn by Rocoo P as it was a smaller design compared to studio version and I wanted it to be compatible with all IEMs and not specifically designed for BAs.

Having read the different reviews and the impressions, I was little hesitant in going for Rocoo P, especially with the feedback of background hiss and lack of any useful equalizer.

I have been enjoying this wonderful little device extensively for over a week now, that I decided to share my impressions of this player, with an aim to share those points that are not obvious in the reviews and will help you decide if you would want to go for Rocoo P.

This is my first review post here.  Hope you enjoy.

Please bear in mind while reading this review:

1) These are my impressions on using the Rocoo P for just over a week.

2) I have been trying to improve my quality of listening and enjoy the recordings rather than just listening for the last few years.  So my experience is limited.

3) My knowledge / impressions / opinions are limited to my hearing experience on

a) Transcend T630 with Creative EP - 630 headphones (Don't own this anymore.  I have used this for over 3 years and this is my first setup for quality listening. My nephew is enjoying this now.)
    b) Cowon E2 with Creative EP -630 / Panasonic HJE- 900 (Amazing and quality setup, highly portable and enjoyable sound signature / presentation, especially with Mac3Bass, with the gripe of a small battery)
    c) From laptop using Jetaudio and any of the above headphones (Prefer the sound signature of Jetaudio to Windows media player.  I have not tried using other audiophile / hifi media players.)
    d) iPOD Touch and Sansa clip+ (I don't own these, but have listed to these occassionally borrowing from friends to listen and compare to other players.)

4) I have my files as 16 bit WAV, 16 bit flac, 320 kbps VBR mp3. I also listen to lower bit rate mp3 when I don't have access to the WAV files.

5) I listen using dynamic IEMs and have not used other headphones.

6) The impressions are with the default EQ (flat).

7) The quality of output is a factor of the audio player, the earphones, environmental noise, quality of recording, quality of the music file and one's listening skills.

8) I listen for enjoying the music, the little nuances in recordings.  I am not analytical when I am enjoying the music.

Impressions:

The following are my impressions, in the order of what what I like best to the quirky ones:

1) Clean, relaxed and detailed presentation.  For example, AR Rahman songs had so much detail that I had not heard in my other setups.  I could hear the guitar string hum (resonance?) after the music was over in the end of the song.  It was as though I was in the same room as the guitar was played.  Doors was another album that I enjoyed a lot.  I felt as though I was in the first row of the concert.

More than details, the sound is more real than what I have heard with my existing gear.  This is good for either the drums, the vocals or the strings.

Rocoo P has the best detail that I have heard till now.  It is such a joy to hear the nuances that the artist intended.  There is so much detail even at low volumes.  The drums sound so real, to the point of feeling the fingers touching the drum membrane.

2) Noticeable and adequate power.  It has a built in AMP that makes a significant difference in the way this player sounds.  Though I have not used multiple earphones while review, I am plesantly satisfied with the detail and energy from Panasonic HJE 900. I hear typically at 5 - 8 volume levels when indoors and till 14 when outside.  I have never felt the need to take it to above this level.  The maximum volume level is 31.

3) Solidly build quality (You will agree when you hold it.).  Rocoo P has black brushed aluminum enclosure with clean straight edges and white aluminium metal buttons, decent silver accent throughout. The build quality is not apprarent in the pictures.  Though I like the build quality, the front and back of the player are finger print magnets.  I carry Rocoo P in a micro fibre sleeve.  This helps keep it clean.

I would have liked Rocoo more without the glossy plastic covering in front and back.

EDIT:  The build is not as great as I would like to believe.  There was a problem that resulted in uneven and poor volume, which worsened if I move or rotate the earphone jack.  This could be due to poor build in the jack area or internal.  All this is in less than 6 months of careful use.   I have sent it for servicing, but there are issues getting it safely shipped to China.  I am not sure if I will have it back but, without a reliable warranty / service, the aluminium build is not worth it, especially when you pay such a premium.

EDIT 17-Jun-15:  This has long been serviced by HSA and it has worked flawlessly ever since (recently sold).  (Been a long time and I forgot to update this review.)

4) Minimal Design.  Simple metal brick with small LED display. Nothing fancy to mention about.  It has a compact size of a typical cigrette box.

Rocoo P is not thin like the ipod Touch, but is easily poketable.  It's simpleton design and sharp corners (buffed and not hurting) might be a no for some considering the modern designs of the other portable players.  (Also this is not quite comfortable in the jeans packet)

Considering the brilliant output, I have come to like this highly understated design.

5) Battery lasted for about 10 hours on a full charge, adequate for my daily use.  This is quite good when you consider that this is a audio player with a built in AMP. I charge this overnight and it is ready for the next day.  This will not be suitable if have a need for a longer play time.

6) Some reviews had mentioned about hiss in Rocoo P, and I was apprehensive until I heard with my earphones.  I did not notice any hiss, unless it was in the recording itself.  Of course, hiss is dependent on the headphones as well, and you would need to assess if your head / earphones are prone to hiss.

7) Charges using a micro USB supplied, through mains or from computer.  Only US compatible mains charger provided.

8) You can FF and RW by pressing the right and left keys continuously.  This is very good, especially if you like to go back and hear something again like me.

9) Simple physical button operation. This is very useful, especially if you are in a public places and prefer a blind operation.

Now continuing to the possible deal breakers and quirky parts,

10) No are no other functionality apart from a music player.  No apps, no games, no video, no wifi, no FM, not even album art.  (I personally don't care about this)

11) The default / FLAT EQ is fantastic.  I have not found a need for using the other EQs.  The predefined EQs are not worth trying.  No user defineable EQ.

There are no other sound enhancing algorithms (like BBE, SRS, et al.).  Having enjoyed the BBE settings, before I heard the Rocoo, I have never felt the need for any sound enhancing algorithm with Rocoo if you have good quality files.

12) When you power on with microSD loaded, it takes few to several minuites to initiate and have the player ready for use.  The player cannot be used till it is fully initialized.

13) It appears that the software is not fully mature and has some bugs. The player froze when trying to play certain files in micro SD (This did not happen with the files in the player, not sure if this is correlated).  Rocoo P hanged (probably due to certain files, that my other players are able to play) and I
    had to reset and then restart the player half a dozen times to use the player. Once reset it worked well.

Rocoo did not power on to be functional with a blank microSD.  It just hanged and I had to reset, remove the microSD and start again.  I am not sure if this is an issue with formatting, but will provide an update if this persists.

14) Played files incorrectly and skipped some to the next file from middle.  I would probably attribute to the formatting of the micro SD.

15) You cannot switch off the player when it has frozen. You have to reset it.

16) A faint, but noticeable buzz sound or noise when the next song is played by the player.  This is not obvious, but noticeable, and can be annoying at times.

17) The click of the keys is not smooth, it is awkward and the sound reminds of basic and cheap cell phone keys.The click can be loud and disturbing others in silent listening environment.

18) Easily picks up the signals from a nearby mobile, when you get a call / sms. You will need to keep the phone away especially if you do not like interference in  your music.

19) No / Limited Parallel Processing capabilities.  I tired to delete a file while playing another in backgroud.  The playing got stopped (not paused) when deleting a file. (note: you can delete a file in the folder view and not in the play menu. It is impractical to delete from the player.  Please use the comptuer to manage files)

20) Pressing Back key in the middle of the song, does not take to the start of the song, but to the previous song.

21) I do not use playlists or play by artists / genre / etc as I do not use this and hence and did not try it.

22) There is no known method to lock the player.

23) You cannot use the player while charging.

Concluding Thoughts:

Rocoo P has an excellent, detailed and non-fatiguing sound presentation.  I am listening for long hours now.

It is quite obvious that the folks at Hisound have focussed on providing the best sound quality possible they could extract from a solid portable player with no nonsense design.

Rocoo P does not attempt to be a Jack of all Apps, and aims to be a King of music playing.

This player has potential to become an iconic and lusted, if the design is more understated, and the UI and usability is improved.

When should you consider Rocoo P?

You use your audio / mp3 player to play music most if not all of the time.
    You seek very high quality sound from a small pocketable player.
    You want to pair your favourite power seeking head / ear phones with a portable player.
    You want a practical pocketable PMP - Amp setup, without the hassles of multiple wires, multiple devices and bands or a large portable player.
    You don't care about the bells and whistles  - Apps, camera, games, album art, et al.
    You can live without FM radio.
    You can live with / work around the quirks for the sound quality.

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I wrote and find this helpful.

Some views of my rig.

Rocoo1.jpg

Rocoo2.jpg
  5. superdron3
    3.0/5,
    "Rocoo P - Brief overview"
    Introduction
    I recently came across a video review of the RoCoo P on youtube and being interested in purchasing a dap to match my earphones, I decided get one. I've been trying it with some Sennheiser IE 8's and have also tried the Grado sr80i's which were suitable.

Purchase and Packaging and Contents
    I emailed service@hisoundaudio.com and received a swift  response advising how i could purchase the player. This worked, but I hope the website will allow orders through it in the future.
    The player came packaged securely protected by foam and there were no issues with the condition.
    Contents:
    RoCoo P
    PAA-1 earbuds
    Wall charger (without adaptor)
    usb cable
    User manual (chinese and english)
    VIP card for future purchases

Design, Build quality and Weight
    It feels robust, lightweight and unintrusive in the pocket. The buttons are mechanical which are responsive with a tactile bump. It has a 1" OLED screen which does the job, but is a bit small. The front and back are made of plastic with glossy finish which can attract finger prints as expected and the sides are brushed metal. The battery life lasts up to 10 hours and can be charged by usb or wall port.
    It includes a reset button for use when upgrading the firmware and general troubleshooting should anything go wrong.

Ease of use and User Interface
    Navigating the operating system took a few minutes to learn and focuses on a practicle/no thrills experience. Transfering music to the player is done by dragging and dropping your files/folders to it with explorer (no need to install anything). It Includes 4gb of storage but you can add more via the MicroSD slot.

I read that it has an issue with the names of flac files which can be resolved by editing the id tags of your files before transfering them. Google Mp3tag for an application that will assist with this. Personally i didn't have any issues with this out of the box, I'm not sure whether this is due to the firmware it was shipped with or whether it was just my files. I dropped a few albums which are flac format onto it and it displays the names perfectly and plays without issues.

The menus allow you to choose the internal or external memory locations. Within each you can see the folders you transfered.
    Theres a setting that allows you to toggle the button sound and theres also a basic equalizer containing presets but everyone recommends leaving this default (natural).

I must admit, I prefer the navigation of the older gen ipods compared to the RoCoo. They are similar in that they both use four directional buttons and a center button, except the ipods use the touch sensative 'disc' to change volume and navigate. This is alot better in my opinion as it free's up the top and bottom buttons for core functions. The RoCoo feels as if it's replicating this to the best it can without copying the disc and instead incorporates the volume control with the top and bottom buttons.
    In my opinion, I think the amount of controls are too confined on this amount of buttons, Apple really nailed it with simplicity. The RoCoo really had me puzzled for a few minutes just trying to find the back button without stopping the track.
    The instructions were a little hard for me to comprehend as the center button performs multiple functions depending how long its pressed. You really need to try it hands on for a few minutes to understand it.

Another thing i noticed about the navigation is when you are listening to a track in a playlist, to go back you hold the center button for a few seconds. This takes you all the way back to the source selection menu (for internal memory or expansion slot) meaning you have to select your source, then search for the album you were listening to, just to be able to see what track is next. I'd prefer it to just go back one level, to what ever playlist you were in.

Also, when it finishes one playlist, it automaticly starts playing the next as if it were the next track. In my opinion its better to stop playing all together. This is confusing when you're listening to one genre and then it starts playing the next playlist of a completely different genre.

Lastly, due to the screen size, if a track is over an hour long, the screen cannot fit the time at the bottom of the screen and so the first two digits are cut off which can be confusing.

Specifications:
    Frequency Response: 10Hz-21kHz
    Impedance: 32 ohms
    Signal-to-Noise: 96dB
    Memory capacity: 4GB expanding SD card slot.
    Card Compatibility: MicroSD, HCSD
    Battery continually playing time: > 10hours (volume @ 3)
    Screen: 1 inch OLED
    Color available: Brushed black
    Weight:110G

Price: ~£120

Sound Quality
    When using iem's with a high sensativity such as the IE8's you can hear a background hiss when nothing is playing, this is unnoticeable while listening though. hisound recommend to use a 70 OHM impedance cable which they also sell. Also the choise of headphone and tip effects the sound.

The bass is powerful, punchy and not too muddy. The mids are verry clear and detailed. The highs are energetic and extended.

Conclusion
    Most of all I'd definatly prefer a bigger screen as navigating long playlists or tracks with long tittles is a chore. I think the player is a bit thick, but alot smaller than i imagined from viewing the pictures online, and it seems to be average compared to competing players from brands such as hi-fi man which also look bulky. I suppose this is a small price to pay when including powerful components while remaining portable.
    In conclusion I think its a good product which most importantly sounds great, but the presentation could be improved. For example, i'd like to see a bigger screen and a more intuitive navigating experience. Also, some form of protective carrying case would be a nice accessory to avoid damage during transport, I'm a bit worried about it getting scratched up or crushed without one.
    I think my review of this player has been fairly harsh (focusing on the few niggles i had, other than that its a solid player) but hopefully this will give you an idea what to expect and will help hisoundaudio know where they can improve their product. You may not be too bothered about some of the things i've noticed and if your after a sound focused portable player I'd still recommend you consider the RoCoo. It certainly 'does what it says on the tin' so to speak, but theres still room for improvement and i look forward to their future products.

Piture (featured with the PoPo iem):
    66768358.png
  6. Tonio
    "My impressions about the RoCoo P"
    Pros - Sound quality, Design
    Cons - User interface, Battery life
    First, I'd like to say that this player is easily the best sounding source I've ever owned.  I used to have an iPod Classic which was much more convenient but far from sounding as good as the RoCoo P.  If you're not into sound quality that much, I'd say that you'd better buy an Ipod with good headphones because the RoCoo P is so good sounding that it needs the best cans out there (which I don't have yet besides my top tier iems).

Although very compact, it delivers impressive sound quality.  The sound is very clear, powerful bass and clear treble and midrange.  Unlike other players, you can not really talk about warmth here.  But I didn't want any color in the sound anyway.  I wanted my DAP to be on the analytic side.  If I want warmth, then I'll take warm sounding headphones or a tube amp but to me, this is not the role of the player.

I listen to my RoCoo with Vsonic GR07 iems, Hisound Audio POP iems and Superlux HD330 full size headphones (which is awesome for the price).  With the Vsonic, I have a very good portable setup for noisy environment like train or busy street.  The only complain I have with this setup is the hiss that I can hear sometimes despite the 50 ohms impedance of my GR07.  However, the hiss depends more on the recording than on the player (most of my music doesn't have any hiss issue).
    I use the POP iems (which seems to be the new name for the POPO's) to listen to folk, hip-hop and electro.  I like the amount of bass and the warmth these iems deliver from the player.
    At home, I use the Superlux HD330 because it's semi-open and it's able to reproduce soundstage very well with the RoCoo P.
    Overall, sound quality is the best thing about this player.

Design and durability

I have no complain about the design of the player.  It's not as pretty as an iPod but the plexi and brushed aluminum covering is far better than the shiny aluminum back of my iPod Classic.  In fact, I carry it in the pocket of my jeans all the time without any pouch or sleeve and there is no scratch yet.  The finish is quite good and the player in itself is very tough.  It fell several times on the ground from more than a meter high and nothing happened.  No bump and it works as well as before.  Now, I'm not able to tell if it will work as well in the years to come but it feels pretty solid to me and it's quite light too (much lighter than an iPhone for instance).

Battery Life

It's certainly not the best point of this wonderful player.  It lasts about 8 to 10 hours in play, depending what type of file you play but to me it's far enough.  I just charge it every 2 or 3 days.  In fact, it lasts longer than my smartphone that I'm used to charge every night.  No big deal for me here.

User Interface

Don't expect something like an iPod or even any other UI from a big brand like Samsung, Sony or even Cowon.  It is very basic but once again, I can handle that and the sound quality is so good that it makes me forget this point.

Overall, I'm very happy of my purchase.  It can handle any kind of music very well and that's exactly what I needed.  And a big thank you to Jack Fu of HiSound Audio for his great availability.

Here are some pictures of the beast [​IMG]

HiSoundAudioRoCooP-1.jpg

HiSoundAudioRoCooP-8.jpg

HiSoundAudioRoCooP-9.jpg

HiSoundAudioRoCooP-10.jpg

7. Audeoboy
    "Rocoo P- Where Sound Quality and low price meets!"
    Pros - Dominates everything! Sound Quality is superb! Beautiful Solid Design
    Cons - Battery life(10 hours+-), Basic User interface

Hi there folks!
    This is my first time writing a review, so I hope you guys can bear with me :)
    Firstly I would like to thank Jack Fu for the amazing Rocoo P DAP. I got it posted to my house 1 week after I order it. If it is not due to the holiday in his country I would have got it earlier. But it is nothing to complain about.

The Rocoo P is one of the most powerful DAP in the audiophile market. And when you purchase one of these, music is really the only focus; they have no games, no apps, and not even the basics app like clock or etc; this thing plays music and that is it!

[​IMG]

Descriptions:
    The Hisoundaudio Rocoo P is one of the most powerful audiophile Digital Audio Player (DAP) in the market. It can work well with a wide range of earphones, from the IEMs to full size headphone. (YES! It really can drives headphones!) With the built-in strong amplifier reted 50mW power output, you can forget about the amp you are having now.

With a slim body, strong power, stylish appearance, wonderful music production and reasonable price, all these merits makes the Hisoundaudio Rocoo P an excellent DAP for the Audiophiles.

Specifications:
    S/N: 96dB
    Memory capacity: 4GB Internal memory + expanding Micro SD card slot
    Card compatibility: Micro SD, SDHC
    Battery capacity: 600Ma rechargeable Li-ion battery
    Battery continually playing time: >10hours (Volume set at 3 degree)
    Propriety power saving technology: EMA Technology (Energy management and Admeasurement Technology)
    The analog signal output: HDMS circuit design, whic can supply high quality music sources to the external earphone amplifier or home amplifier
    ScreenL 1 inch OLED
    Colors available: Brushed black
    UI operation: Mechanical key button operation (one-hand and blind operation capacity)
    Weight: 110g

Accessories:
    So, as I unbox the Rocoo P package, there is a black layer which has the Rocoo P embedded in the middle of it. To pull out the Rocoo P,  you would just need to pull the black ribbon on top of the DAP. Well, you are also going to see a user manual, a VIP card and a warranty card as you remove the black layer. Note that most of them are written in chinese, but you do not need to worry as it is really easy to learn to use them. Pretty simple user interface. Next, you will also see 3 boxes in Rocoo P package. This bottom left one contains the Hisoundaudio PAA-1 earbud, which has a cheap housing and awful looking, but
    at the price of USD20, it sounds pretty good so it is nice to have one as extra. Well I am not going to talk about this earbud now. On the bottom right box, contains the USB adapter , which can be connected with the mini USB cord in the upper box.
    The USB cord helps sync/charge the Rocoo P.

Build Quality:
    The Rocoo P is best constructed DAP I have ever seen. The outer body of the Rocoo P is made of CNC aluminum, which makes it very sturdy. Design is quite gorgeous, classic and retro, especially under the lights with sides made out of brushed aluminium. Housing is sold enough to withstand any pressure exerted on it. However, as you can see, a housing like it will definitely make you leave your fingerprints everywhere on it. So consistent cleaning should be done to make sure the DAP shines beautifully.

Sound Quality:
    Okay, the sound is where this thing shines. So, let's see what can this USD179 DAP do?
    Well for me, it sounds marvelous! Some has even said that this performs better than the Zune and Cowon DAPs.
    If you look at the EQ, there are a few options (Nature, Rock, Jazz,Classical ,Pop) but I would stick to Nature as it gives the best sound signature, at least for me.

Lows- The lows can make great impacts down to 10Hz (You can feel it), and the mid-bass is also noticeably good. Point of attack, is incredibly strong and punchy. Besides punchy, it can be boomy as well, depending on the track played. Basically they just fulfilling what the track asks for. They are well-controlled and always be there whenever they need to be.

Mids-  Despite of the great bass delivered, the Rocoo P has not fail in providing the crazily clear mids. For this, I would like to give this DAP a two thumbs up!!!  The great  jaw-dropping mids and the extraordinary clarity is the reason behind that makes this DAP a powerful, dangerous and threatening opponent to the Zune and Cowon. Besides, I bet you will get to hear the sound that you have never heard before in your player!

High- One word - Energetic.  They sounds real and intimate vocals (females) are well presented.  The highs are very smooth and extended.

Soundstage- Soundstage is huge, transparent and airy in this DAP. It feels as if you are listening to live performance, where you can actually estimate the distance between the musicians. Yes, it has fantastic and top-notch instrument separation. And it brings you to the world of music where you can enjoy 3-Dimension music!

Battery life:
    Nothing is perfect, and same thing goes to this Rocoo P.One thing that I am dissapointed with this Rocoo P is its suprisingly short battery life. As an audiophile player, I was expecting it to be at least 1-day of playback time but guess what? It has only 10 hours of playback time. And charging it fully would take me about 3-4 hours (not sure if it is my Rocoo P, or all the Rocoo P), so I think the Hisoundaudio company should come up with some ways to improve this.

Conclusion-  Now, for the price of USD179, in which part of Audiophile market, can you get such a great player ?! Frankly speaking, I would not hesitate to buy even if the price of this is triple of it's price! These are really for Audio nerds who wants to hear every single notes and instruments in every single song they listen. For casual listeners, these can be a fun player too! Great impact but well-controlled bass, clear mids and energetic highs and wide soundstage. Forget about the DAP you are holding now, GET THIS!
  8. SursumCorda
    3.5/5,
    "HiSound Audio Rocoo P, great with the right IEM"
    Pros - Soundstage, great driving ability, plays any file type, solid design, "fun" sound with bass-emphasised IEMs
    Cons - Basic UI, some firmware bugs, no hold slider, bit 'fussy' on best IEM pairing, longevity
    NOTE; I am an audio appreciator, not an audiophile. The follow is my thoughts and not based on some of the crazy in-depth tests that some do. This is a layman’s review for a layman. =)

BACKSTORY AND DISCLAIMER;
    I spent some time browsing the forums of head-fi and looking over the DAP lists before ordering this product. I almost bought a Cowon Z2 (since I’m in Korea, I can get it locally) but in the end decided that $280+ was a bit much to spend when I have an iPod/iPad for all apps and all I wanted was a pure and powerful music player. The Rocoo P seemed to be what I was looking for, and it has received good reviews here and elsewhere. I contacted Hisound and got a quote. They also told me that I could get a free pair of in-ear headphones if I wrote a review. I told them that I would, and they included a pair of headphones with my purchase. I’ll make a brief comment on those at the bottom.

OVERALL;
    I’m quite happy with this player. It has its flaws and areas that could improve in, but for the money it’s a great value and what it does it does well! For pop/rock, I think it shines. It has a good feeling of spaciousness for most music, especially classical, and overall the sound is quite good for me. There does seem to be a bit of a smoothing -off in the very high end treble, and a bit of a dropping the low-end bass, but with the right in-ears, it actually makes many songs sound better. My Shure 535s sound quite nice on this player, whereas my more neutral Westone 4Rs seem to highlight some of the ‘smothing’ of the sound that the player gives.

AUDIO QUALITY;
    This is probably one of the strongest points of this player. Which is good, as it bills itself as a powerful DAP that focuses on music! (To the expense of a few other things, such as the UI.) The sound is spacious and good. I did notice a bit of hissing at first, but I haven’t really noticed it since. I didn’t think that DAPS actually had anything like a ‘burn in’ time, but I left the player playing music all night, and after a few days, I swear it actually sounded better to me. Strange but true.

Highs: The highs are great, but there is a bit of smoothing at the top end. This can remove shrillness or dampen the high notes depending on the song or your take on what it’s doing.
    Mids: Delicious. That is to say, really nice.
    Bass: Good bass, decent punch, but it does seem to soften the very low end to my ears. I think IEMS that have a bit more bass emphasis get more out of this player for bass.

BATTERY LIFE;
    Decent. Not great not terrible. Decent. It would be really nice to see a Rocco P with the battery life of their own Studio V.

DESIGN;
    The good;
    Solid! It feels really durable. It’s pretty small, all the buttons are easy to reach, and all the plug ins are in logical places. It looks a bit 60s-ish, but overall the design is good.

Driving ability. I tried this DAP with my Sennheiser HD650s, and it could drive them decently, though I had to up the power to almost max to do so. On most mid-range headphones, I think this player would have no trouble driving them.

It can read most(all?) file types. It reads everything I put on it. Including iTunes-bought mp4 files. Flacs sound great. I have not tried putting an Apple Lossless file on it yet, however.

The bad/nitpicking:
    No hold switch. I think what I’d like more than anything else on this player is a ‘hold’ slider. Even my Creative Zen from circa 2004 had a ‘hold’ slider. One of the reasons I stoped using the Fiio E7 (and really like the Fiio E17 now that I have it) is due to the ‘hold’ slider. One of the first times I walked around with the Rocoo P, something in my pocket hit the volume button and I my ears were getting blasted.
    NOTE: If you have the case for the Shure 535s or one of those line, the player fits snugly inside that. You can actually zip it close and it will act as shell to prevent accidental button presses.

Firmware. I also had an issue that stems (I think) from removing the Rocoo P without ‘safely removing hardware’ from windows. The folders got all mixed up, and the player insisted that there were no files on my SD card. Windows said otherwise. I had to re-install the firmware to fix the problem.

No auto-stopping of playback on headphone removal. When you remove your IEM/headphone, the player does not detect this and stop playing the music. If you do not notice this, your battery can be drained while you are doing other things.

USER INTERFACE;
    This reminds me of my Creative Zen from 10-odd years ago. It’s really simplistic. It IS easy to navigate, but some of the things you might expect a player from 2012 to do might take a bit of work on this DAP. Making playlists for example. The UI is simple, gets the job done, but the bigger your SD card and the more music you have, the more you’ll need to plan in advance how to set things up.

VALUE;
    I give it 5/5 3(1/2)/5 for the money you pay for it. It’s a great player. There are things I’d definitely like to see on this DAP in the future, and things that could use improvement. For it’s price, and for what it proposes that it will do, however, this DAP is a great price. I have yet to try it with a custom IEM, but with my Shure 535 and Westone 4Rs over the last week+, I’ve been able to get a decent feel for this player.

EDIT 2012/11/06: Value reduced to 3 1/2 stars due to problems listed bellow.
    After having these for several months I have lowered the value I give this by one and half stars and overall rating by a star for the following reasons.

Button issues;
    The bottom button (volume down/go down) on the player stopped working unless pressed ~extremely~ hard. It is not a real bother to quickly adjust the volume after turning it up.

Random shutoff with a loud static pop;
    Occasionally the player has shut off mid-song with a loud static pop in my headphones. This is not a friendly experience. It has made me hesitate more than once when I consider using it. This issue has happened while walking, while sitting down, with movement and with no/minimal movement. It happens maybe once every few hours.

Static(?);
    Sometimes I hear a funny sort of warble over my headphones while using the Rocoo P. This happens most frequently on the subway. My best guess is that the inside is unshielded and it's picking up some sort of electrical signal/static and transmitting it to the headphone. It's hard to really describe it, but it sure ain't music.

Note on the bonus in-ear Hisound ‘popo’ headphones;
    They are the first ‘bass-head’ IEM I’ve ever heard. I really liked them, but I already have some high-end IEMs, and my Korean co-worker here is a bass-head so I gave them to him. When he tried them he said “They tremble my head.” (Hahaha…) He agreed that the treble is clear the bass is impactful. IMO, it makes a great combination with the Rocoo P for rock/pop. I actually found myself looking for a pair when I was at a local store, in the hopes that I could snag another pair to play with. They are pretty IEMS to boot. (With the slight detraction of the bright red cord.)
  9. thirotsugu
    "Amazing little DAP"
    Pros - Amazing sound quality, small and sleek, decent battery life
    Cons - Front and back of the device gets easily scratched, UI

Hi Head-Fiers!
    I am pretty new to this community but have been making unboxing and review videos here on my YouTube Channel:
    TechSpotJapan Youtube

I recently purchased a RoCoo-P and would like to use this space to post a review.

First, here are the basic scores that I give for each category:

Build Quality     : 8/10
    Sound Quality   : 9/10
    Design             : 8/10
    UI                    : 5/10
    --------------------------------
    Overall             : 8/10

First Impressions

Out of the box, the sound that the RoCoo-P felt un-natural to me. It felt like the sound was tampered with in some way, such as an EQ.
    So I checked the EQ settings, but it was set to nature, which I assume is the flat setting of this device. And since this was my first Non-iPod experience, the UI felt old.
    These impressions has changed after using the device for a while. That is why I have decided to write up the review now.

Build Quality - 8/10

The devices main body is made out of metal which I assume is aluminum. It feels and is sturdy. All the ports also feel sturdy and feels like it will never break.
    Now your probably thinking, "Why did you give a 8/10 instead of a 10/10?"
    The -2 went to the front and back of the device.
    It is very shiny and attractive, but is also a finger print magnet, and easily scratched.
    I use my devices as if it was a baby. But it got scratched when putting it in the case I carry the RoCoo-P. It slightly touched the zipper of the case which created some scratches on the back.
    I was pretty sad when I found this.

Sound Quality - 9/10

In my initial impressions I told you that it sounded un-natural, but my impressions has changed after using this device for a while. Did it burn in? or did my ears(brains) burn in? I am not sure, but what I can say is I am very happy with the sound now.
    Compared the the iPod video(5g) that I own, it has a lot of energy and punch. But is also quiet when it needs to be.

Bass

The bass on this device is great. Lots of clarity and impact. Which might be one of the reasons the sound is energetic.

Mids

The Mids are amazing! Male/Female vocals are not getting muddled by the lows, and has lost of clarity. I hear sound that I have never heard on other devices.

Highs

I think I'm saying great or amazing for the Bass and Mids. But this goes the same for the Highs as well. The Highs sparkle but is not too harsh. They do not hurt your ears and are easy to listen to. This is also another aspect of making the sound exciting.

Sound stage

For a portable device, I would say that the sound stage is pretty broad. Of course it depends on the IEM's or Cans you use, but even if you listen to the same song on the iPod, the iPod sounds like its just ringing around your ear, where the RoCoo-P gives you an more spicy sound. The soundstage is broad but does not ruin the sound separation. Thanks the the broad sound stage and good sound separation, it sounds like your listening to the song in a live house or stage.

Design - 8/10

This devices looks sexy. If you want the same sound quality with a iPod/iPhone, you basically need to strap a decent amp on it, and compared the that, it looks much sleeker and sexier.
    This is kinda about the build quality, but the front and back were not that great, leaving design an 8.

UI - 5/10

This is probably one of this things I hate about the UI. I would say, it sucks.
    Maybe because the I am used to iPods, but even after using the RoCoo for a while, I still think that there are many things that can be fixed. The UI is quite familiar with the SanDisk Sansa clip but no return button the the RoCoo, which confused me.

Conclusion

If you are a serious listener, or want more energy to your music. Or if you have an hi impedance headphone/IEM, I would say that this device is a buy! This devices sound amazing, and constantly keeps my head banging. I assume any device will sound better that an iPhone/iPod, but I personally think it sound better that an iPod amped, which is clunky compared to the small device.
  10. RevC
    "Hisoundaudio RoCoo P - Thumbs Up"
    Pros - Sound & build Quality
    Cons - Clunky Interface
    I'll keep this simple as I would probably only duplicate what is said elsewhere anyway but on the principle that the number of reviews says as much as the reviews themselves here I go.

I already have the ubiquitous iPod and a Cowon X7. Increasingly I have been ripping my CDs to FLAC as I move to a more streaming oriented home set up and I have been looking for a way to make the most of these files when on the move. The Cowon is already full and the iPod is now limited to lower quality rips so I was looking for a small DAP to augment the Cowon and hold some favourite music to listen to on the move.

I found this DAP when browsing online and (helped no end by the reviews already posted) I decided to take the plunge. Not a very deep plunge given the price compared to some competitors but a plunge nonetheless on a brand I am completely unfamiliar with.

I ordered directly from Hisoundaudio and despite the non-Amazon experience the process was completely painfree. They are helpful and professional and the DAP turned up nicely packaged a week or so after making payment.

After charging and loading some files on micro SD cards that I had lying around from various mobile phone purchases I got to the important part. The listening.

Now I will say that the unit is still burning in. I anticipate improvements in the sound quality, particularly in the bass and this review is based on the experience to date and only a few hours listening. All my listening has been with the Beyerdynamic T50p headphones. However I can say immediately that this has made my iPod sound flat and lifeless from the off. Admittedly this is comparing FLAC to MP3 but they are cut at 320kb so not completely lame.

This unit sounds fantastic. I put the Beach Boys Pet Sounds on followed by Friends and the vocals were truly outstanding. Clear, to the front of the mix and you could follow the individual voices with ease. The instruments were further back than I am used to but I think this is probably a more realistic interpretation of the music than I have had with the iPod previously. Moving to Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene 30 and the swirl and whoosh of the spacey 70's synthesisers was impressive with clarity and focus in all areas. This wasn't fatiguing either with a nice, organic completeness in the sound. Nothing seemed overly promoted or repressed.

The One Armed Bandit set from Jaga Jazzist was also clear and captured the complex instrumentality well. There was no mush or fuzziness I could detect anywhere.

The only issue I have with this unit is the interface. The screen is small but perfectly readable, the navigation is not always intuitive but does not take long to master, the menu options are logical and easy to understand. The irritation is when you are listening to a long piece of music and you have to pause. Either the phone rings or someone wants to talk to you, an everyday occurence even when on the daily commute. At this point when you restart the music you cannot pick up where you left off. Or at least if you can I have been a complete failure at finding out how. Instead the unit either picks a random track from the internal memory or starts the track again from the beginning. You have to remember where you were, navigate to the track, and start that track all over again. Why can't the system pause rather than just stop? An obvious firmware improvement hopefully.

That really is my only gripe. Build quality is excellent even if the unit were many times the price. It does attract fingerprints on it's nice shiny surfaces but I am fighting the inner OCD to clean it all the time. The unit is slightly smaller than I imagined but by no means fiddly, even with my stubby digits. I have not tried the bundled headphones but I did get some Hisoundaudio Crystal phones when I bought the RoCoo P. These are still burning in so I cannot comment on them yet. The unit powers my T50p headphones with no apparent difficulty, the battery life is perfectly acceptable with a recharge after a few hours listening through the mini USB port.

It goes without saying that I am delighted so far with the Hisoundaudio RoCoo P. I do expect it to improve further with time and I look forward to many happy hours of audio bliss. I would recommend most heartily but please, please, please Hisoundaudio, fix the pause.

UPDATE: Have spent many hours listening to a variety of music on the RoCoo P now and have enjoyed the way the music has been presented. Vocals are to the front, clear and the depth is amazing. The only thing I have noticed is the presence of a slight background hiss. This has really only been accentuated since I bought a Colorfly C3 and everything the RoCoo does the Colorfly does. Only slightly better. The C3 has no hiss and just as clear a presentation. So whilst the RoCoo is still one of my favourite players it is now playing second fiddle to the C3.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!