HiSenior Mega5EST

General Information

Information and ordering can be found here: https://www.hisenior-iem.com/products/mega5est-hybrid-iem

Highlights:
  • Tribrid 5-Drivers (1DD+2BA+2EST) our 1st Tribrid In-ear Monitor with 2*Electrostatic Super Tweeter
  • custom 10mm Bio-cellular Diaphragm Dynamic Driver (superior airy and dynamic lows, THD <0.5%)
  • 2Est Super Tweeter in (up to 80Khz S-highs Extension)
  • Harman IEM Target Curve referred Tuning, Smooth Coherence from Bass to Treble, Well-detailed and Top-Clean Instrumental Definition
What's in the Box

-Mega5EST Tribrid In-ear Monitor
-WhiteWhale Premium Cable
-Pelican protective case(waterproof/crushproof)
-Eartips(6x Pairs Silicone + 2x Pairs Foam)
-Clean wiper
-Cable Clip

Latest reviews

tamtrum

100+ Head-Fier
The Mega 5 EST
Pros: -Excellent tonality, no EQ needed
-Bass is pretty fun. Feels big
-IEM Shell fits well
Cons: -Nozzle may be large for some
-Needs tip rolling to massage out the upper treble peak.
-2 pin flushed port is tight, be careful when inserting a cable. Wish the IEM had a recessed 2 pin instead.
-Not going to be resolving as stuff like Symphonium Helios
I've heard some promising things about the HiSenior Mega5Est from a trustworthy friend of mine, so I decided to blind buy it with my own money and below are my thoughts on the $550 iem.
Thumbnail.png

Tl;dr: A solid buy for $550 if you're looking for a great neutral with bass boost tonality with good techs.

Packaging and Accessories:

FrontBox.pngBackBox.png
CasePackaging.pngCase.jpg
Accessories.png

Accessories include: 2 baggies of silicon tips, 1 bag of foam tips, 1 bag of stickers, wipes, and a cable clip.
CableLoop.png

The stock 4.4mm cable with 2 pin flushed connectors that the Mega5EST comes with is rubber sleeved, I'm not usually a fan of cables with built in ear hooks. The loop of the cable was fortunately fine for me though, your mileage may vary.

The Shell:

I would describe it as kinda thick in the body, but the width and height are compact and easy to wear. The nozzle diameter is on the larger side but the length is short so it should be ok for most people who can fit the larger nozzle diameter. I can wear the Mega5EST for long periods of time especially since it's also vented as well.

Nozzle Diameter: 6.26 mm at the lip, 5.41mm after the lip.

Approximate Body Dimensions excluding the nozzle: 24mm wide x 13 mm x 17 mm
IEMShellNozzles.pngIEMShellTopSide.png

Mega5EST (left), Truthear Zero Red (middle), Truthear Hola (right)

Measurements:

Frequency Response Graph, Compensated to JM-1 Target, normalized at 500 Hz (more info on this target here: https://headphones.com/blogs/features/the-shape-of-iems-to-come#section-5-2)
CompedFR.png

If you wish to explore more of the FR of Mega5EST you can find my FR measurements of it and other IEMS in my collection here: https://listener.squig.link/tam/?share=JM-1_Target,Mega5est

Here's also an uncompensated Frequency Response plot off my clone 711 coupler from the SoundGoods store on Aliexpress. Take note that my 711 coupler makes transducers look darker than it really is (recession in 4KHz to 6KHz) unless it is compensated with a coupler specific target.
UncompedFR.png

Overall you can see that the L/R channel matching is insanely impressive, almost zero differences in L or R transducers.

All listening done with the stock cable and with Coreir Pentaconn Brass Tips (Size MS) with my iBasso 320MAX Ti as the source. I used the Coreir brass tips because for my ear canals, I was able to push out the upper treble peak that I otherwise would hear with other tips (JVC Spiraldots++, AET07, Eletech Baroques).

Tonality:
Overall, I'd describe Mega5Est as neutral with bass boost. Which kind of reminds me of my Subtonic Storm but with more bass and lower mids and less treble.

Bass (20 hz ~ 200 hz):
The bass shelf on the Mega5est extends to about 200 hz, which makes any bass elements in a track come forward. Great for electronic or pop music which is most of my general listening. The quantity of the bass is quite generous too. I don't notice any bleeding of bass into the vocals here so good job on HiSenior for blending the bass properly.

Mids (200hz ~ 4 Khz):
The pinna region is not as forward compared to similarly priced IEMs like Variations, so when I normalize volume while listening around 1 KHz, the Mega5EST has a vocal and string richness where on Variations certain vocals and string instruments sound thin. There's a pleasant warmth in the mids with the Mega5EST that most people will find enjoyable. If you find the 2019 IE Harman target or stuff like the IEF neutral target too pinna forward and thin, the mids on this IEM would be a solution to your needs.

Treble (4Khz ~ 20Khz):
Overall, linearly downsloped in a good way so most of the treble sounds quite pleasant and linear up until you reach the upper treble where there is one peak (maybe 11KHz?) that I was able to tip roll and push the peak out of my hearing range. That troublesome treble peak made cymbals decay too strongly so it can sound harsh at times but thankfully I was able to find the right tips to get rid of it. If you're used to IE-harman or IEF neutral tonality iems, Mega5EST may seem dark but I find the treble pretty smooth in a good way.

Technical Performance:

Dynamics: I'd say Mega5EST is above average given its price but it's not the most dynamics I've heard. Not going to outclass the dynamics of something like Symphonium Helios or Crimson that I've previously heard but definitely prefer it over other IEMs that I've heard like Variations.

Resolving ability: Does ok here. Helios still out-resolves the Mega5Est but that's not to say it's textureless.

Imaging: Average or so imaging and separation, not going to be crazy imaging like you would get with Helios, Crimson, or Storm for that matter. Sound images are an ok size with bass components feeling big which tracks with the tonality.

Staging: I'd say there's depth than width here for the Mega5Est. Staging for the Mega5EST for me is thrown forward instead of it being around me. I'd describe the shape as conic.

Transients: Slightly rounded leading edges

Comparisons to other IEMs I've heard:
I'd put Mega5EST over Thieaudio's Monarch Mk2 and somewhere on par with Thieaudio's Divinity V16. The Monarch Mk2 had treble issues that I was not a fan of, it wasn't that resolving and the only thing saving the Monarch Mk2 for me was the decent bass so for those reasons I would easily take Mega5EST over the Monarch Mk2. Compared to Variations, I feel there is no contest and the Mega5EST is an all around winner for my listening preferences.

Conclusion:

I don't usually touch too many iems between $150 and $1000. I typically find it a no mans land between budget stuff such as the Truthear Nova and stuff like the Symphonium Helios. I used to own Blessing 2 Dusk, then I upgraded to Moondrop Variations and I felt pretty whelmed. The move felt like a side grade with no real upgrade in performance other than a difference in tonality. Had I known about the Mega5EST when I was considering Variations, I would've jumped for that instead. For me, Mega5EST earns its rightful price for the outstanding tonality that makes any track easy listening and the dynamics so it makes the experience pleasant and engaging.

Thanks for reading!

Additional Notes:

-Thanks to the help of Griffin's help in making the squig website and helping me with developing a JM-1 compensation target for my clone coupler.

-For bass lovers with impedance adapters, if you have a 10 ohm adapter (or a 150 ohm adapter!) you can get a generous bass boost:
Bass_FR.png
Last edited:
wiesolos
wiesolos
I won't definitely buy mega5est after reading your review. Thanks man.
nihalsharma
nihalsharma
Put Mega5EST over Thieaudio's Monarch Mk2? Common, that's not even remotely possible, sorry. Monarch MK2 beats these down in each and every aspect of music. You must listen to them both and compare. Good iem for sure, but not as good that they beat the Monarch MK2.
Reniflex