GRADO HEADPHONE REPLACEMENT CUSHION G

Grado G-Cushions

3/5,

SKU: 4E-GCUSH

Standard equipment on all series of the following headphones: PS1000, GS1000, GS2000

All Grado replacement cushions will fit any headphone from the Prestige, Reference, Statement, and Professional Series. So use the set you prefer for comfort. (Excludes eGrado)

4E-GCUSH-2T.jpg

Recent Reviews

1. audiophilefan
    Grado G-Cushions - Comfort and Sound Consideration
    Written by audiophilefan
    Published Dec 27, 2017
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Very high quality, fits perfectly and securely, minor increase in soundstage, very comfortable
    Cons - Decreases bass response, highs become too much
    BACKGROUND

I found that the stock S-Cushions on my Grado SR80e are uncomfortable when you start hitting the 1-hour mark of listening. At 30 minutes, you start to feel the pressure “on” your ears, especially on the area where your glasses’ temples are (I’m wearing glasses). It starts to become painful. Originally, I bought generic replacement G-Cushions online. They are not as expensive and though they fit nicely, they fit loosely too. Long story short, I found a local store that sells genuine G-Cushions and went for them. How are they? Let’s find out.

ABOUT ME

I listen to almost all genres of music but my favorites are rock, blues, and jazz.

I am a music lover, not an audiophile. I need to veer away from the audiophile persona from now on. I love music more than the equipment to play music with. I recognize that decent equipment is important but decent is good enough. Expensive is not necessary. I’m not willing to go past the $100 mark for any reason. I firmly believe in the law of diminishing returns.

I believe in burn-in but it depends on the headphones. Some do not need much. Some do not need any at all.

I believe in measurements but I never relied on them. I solely rely on my ears.

I believe that blind test is the only real test, without any visual influence or biases, without placebo.

Audio nirvana for me is a state of mind, not a state of equipment.

Regardless of my beliefs, I respect all audiophiles and music lovers for their passion and dedication.

PACKAGING

For some reason, the G-Cushions in the local store are not packaged or anything. They are bare. And the storekeeper’s explanation is, those came in that way when it was delivered by the distributor. A pair is in a clear plastic bag of decent quality and then that’s it. Nevertheless, I have no doubt that those are genuine. I can tell by the quality and feel that they are much better manufactured than the generic pads. Here are some pictures:

IMG_20170403_080110.jpg IMG_20170403_080210.jpg IMG_20170403_080239.jpg IMG_20170403_080305.jpg IMG_20170403_080316.jpg

OFFICIAL PRODUCT PAGE

For official pricing, please check here - http://www.4ourears.net/Grado_G_cushions_p/4e-gcush.htm

QUALITY, DESIGN, AND COMFORT

The pads are of very high quality. They’re not the usual foam. They’re a bit stiff and I’m sure that’s for a reason. The color is gray too, as opposed to the usual black. That could be the color of the special foam material used.

They fit the SR80e perfectly and it’s reasonably easy to put them on too. The fit is very secure.

The pads are very comfortable, miles more comfortable than the S-Cushions. As they are deep and have an over-ear design, they are not pressing “on” your ears and there’s no unreasonable pressure to my glasses’ temples.

Now the big question is, do they alter the sound? Find out below.

SOUND

SET-UP USED:
    • Lenovo K4 Note Smartphone (with Wolfson 8281 Audio Hub)
    • Dolby Atmos engaged (gives a more accurate perception of soundstage)
    • Stellio music player EQ is off
    The good stuff first - There is a minor increase in soundstage. Grados are innately intimate and not too wide due in part to their magnificent, forward mid-range. Because of the bigger space where sonic elements can move, soundstage is a touch larger in space, but not by much. Separation and imaging is about the same. This is also due in part to the drivers being moved further from your ears.

Now the not so good stuff – Bass is decreased considerably. I just can’t ignore the fact that I’m missing the usual low end of the SR80e. And from the stock pads and even the generic G-cushions, bass is already “just right”. If it decreases, it will be lacking. Unfortunately, it made the bass “lacking” for my tastes.

Mids are about the same. That’s the magic of Grados – there is nothing you can do to mess those mids. It’s like magic. :)

Now regarding highs - Highs on the G-Cushions are too much. As a reference, I am not treble sensitive. I love a shimmery, detailed, and well-layered treble. But even for me, it sounded grating. Now that would be torture to some, especially for bass heads. I tried to adjust to the sound, gave it a few days for brain burn-in to set in. Still, when you get to a song with a lot of cymbal hits and crashes, and intense shredding of electric guitars, it becomes too much.

End result - I exchanged it to a completely different product from the store.

CONCLUSION

G-Cushions are the stock pads for the GS and PS series and these are built for those headphones sonically. For other headphones in the Grado line, I suggest you use them with some care and discretion.

If you’re looking for much better comfort and a better fit for your Grados, you might want to give them a try. I would not readily recommend them for sonic benefits though and I suggest you audition them first, if you can. They’re not necessarily cheap and they do change the sound. For better or for worse, I’ll leave that to your discriminating ears. :)

Happy listening, everyone!

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!