FeiXiang FX-AUDIO DAC-X6

• FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 HiFi 2.0 Digital Audio Decoder DAC Input USB/Coaxial/Optical Output RCA/Headphone Amplifier 24Bit/192KHz DC12V

Recent Reviews

1. Aibo
    Great value for money
    Written by Aibo
    Published Jan 6, 2019
    Pros - Clean, detailed and well balanced sound. Powerful headphone amp. Great value.
    Cons - None at this price point.
    I must admit I bought this one just out of curiosity not expecting much. My first impression was how nice it is built. My second impression was - it doesn't sound like a dirty cheap product or product that measures bad, not at all.

Regarding headphones I tried it with AKG K92 and ISK HP 580, and it sounded really great. Lots of power and enough clarity left nothing to be desired. Just to put this into perspective, SMSL Idea/Sabaj Da2 or Sabaj Da3 couldn't provide same amount of liveliness and fullness to the K92. X6 actually sounded closer to more expensive Topping NX4.

With my home setup, it just happened that I was transitioning from one amp to another, from older Harman Kardon HK6500 to a newer and much more transparent Cyrus 8vs2. On my old amp I could notice Topping D30 and NX4 sound better but difference was just not that important to ponder over it. Later on when I switched to the Cyrus I realized that D30 and especially NX4 gives cleaner and livelier sound. I can't put numbers on these subjectively observed differences but let's say that FX DAC-X6 did not embarrass itself in any way, especially when you count in the price.

So in my book and for this price this is a solid 5 out of 5 product.

As usual lately, I made a video review too.

2. amirm
    Good little DAC+Headphone amp
    Written by amirm
    Published Dec 30, 2017
    Pros - Great value. Lots of inputs.
    Cons - Measured performance leaves something to be desired. High frequency roll off, higher noise and jitter, etc. Still better than bargain basement products out there.
    I recently finished my review of FX-Audio DAC-6. It is quite extensive. You can read it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-compared-to-topping-d30-and-fiio-e10k.2097/

Overall, it is amazing how much you get in this little package. Mechanically this has a good feel with good heft. Lots of connectivity and headphone output with decent drive for even Sennheiser HD650. You can see how it compares to Fiio E10K at similar price point in my review and Topping D30 which remains my choice for a stand-alone DAC (at higher price).

Here is a sampling of measurements:

[​IMG]

I also performed a hardware teardown of the FX-6 here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...are-teardown-of-fx-audio-dac-x6-usb-dac.2115/

The picture there, pun intended :), wasn't as rosy. Crusty rusty parts shouldn't be there regardless of price. I am not holding my breath for long term reliability. :)
      PlantsmanTX and trellus like this.
  3. crabdog
    FeiXiang FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 - The ideal entry-level desktop DAC and AMP
    Written by crabdog
    Published Sep 4, 2016
    Pros - Quality build, multiple input options, small size, low price
    Cons - Front panel text can be hard to see on the silver model
    20160904_112752.jpg

Introduction:
    The FX-Audio (Feixiang) DAC-X6 is a Digital Audio Decoder and amplifier with multiple input options and a budget friendly price.

About the company (translated with Google):
    Founded in 2009, we are engaged in R & D digital amplifier, audio decoder, amp, HIFI PC desktops digital amplifier, power amplifier boards, background audio systems, digital amplifier board and other products. The company is committed to cutting-edge technology products, developing the best products, the best services to meet customer demand, in the face of fierce competition, fast-changing market. we will of "quality-oriented, the credibility of the soul" of the corporate philosophy and the "rapid response, immediate action" style of work to fair and reasonable prices, good quality products, good pre-sale, sale, service, for all the friends.

Feixiang website: http://www.szfxaudio.com/
    Alibaba page: Shenzhen Fydea Digital Technology Company Limited

Disclaimer:
    I purchased this product on Aliexpress from the ICAIRN Audio store. I have no affiliation with the company or the store and this review is based on my personal opinions and experience.

A quick note about me:
    Before we get started I’d like to point out a few things. I’m not a technical guy. So if you’re looking for numbers, measurements and a detailed breakdown of internal components you won’t find them here. What interests me when it comes to DAC/AMPs is ease of use, aesthetics, input/output options, build quality and sound (not necessarily in that order). So that means this is coming from the point of view of a non-techie end user – the kind of person that picks something up because the specs at a glance seem okay, it has the desired connectivity and is not offensive in its construction or outward appearance. Basically this review will be in layman’s terms. With that out of the way, let’s get to it.

Packaging and accessories:
    The DAC-X6 comes in a basic brown box with the company brand on the front along with “Mini Audio DAC. Your Music Dream!”
    Inside is 1 x 12V power supply, 1 x USB cable and the DAC itself. The USB cable is blue in color and is of surprising quality. The power supply is fairly small and unobtrusive and can easily be tucked away somewhere.

20160824_212614.jpg

20160824_212555.jpg

Build and looks:
    I opted for the silver unit and I’m glad I did. The X6 is small – lengthwise it’s almost exactly the same size as my Galaxy Note 5 and only about an inch wider. It has a black body of brushed aluminium and a polished silver faceplate. Overall it’s a nice looking product and not necessarily what you would expect for something in this price range. Everything feels very solid. The switches are tight and the Volume knob is machined from the same aluminium. There are 4 rubber feet on the bottom to prevent marking your surfaces and hold the DAC firmly in place. The volume dial moves in increments with a tactile bump in between each notch which makes adjustments easy.

On the front panel we find (from Left to Right): the ON/OFF switch, Input select switch (Optical, USB, Coaxial), the 6.35mm headphone jack and finally the Volume knob. The faceplate is attached with 4 Allen screws that sit flush with the plate.

On the back panel are (again from Left to Right): PC-USB In, Optical in, Coaxial In, RCA Right and Left in and the DC 12V in.
    Each of the inputs, outputs and switches are clearly marked in white text.

20160904_112214.jpg
    20160904_112220.jpg
    20160904_112227.jpg
    20160904_112238.jpg
    20160904_112301.jpg
    20160904_112352.jpg

Technical Specifications:
    Standard Input Interface: PC USB / coaxial, fiber optic (with toggle switch)
    Standard output interface: 6.35mm headphone output base line standard RCA connectors
    Line level output: RMS 2V
    Perfect driving 32Ω-600Ω headphones
    Output power: 90mw / 600Ω, 180mw / 300Ω, 450mw / 100Ω, 610mw / 62Ω, 910mw / 32Ω, 1000mw / 16Ω
    SNR: ≥105dB
    Distortion: ≤0.001%
    Frequency response: 20hz-20khz
    Adapter Voltage: 100-240ACV
    Machine power / adapter output voltage: Dc12V 1A above
    Machine dimensions: 146mm x 98mm x35mm (including protruding parts)
    USB-tier manufacturers in Taiwan with a stable performance VIA VT1630, high resolution, under a wide range of frequency support 44.1K-192k 24BIT 16BIT mode 44.1K-96K, Android 4.2.2 system can support OTG mode (need native system), support Apple phone tablet, etc. OTG mode, DAC part is fine CS8416 + CS4398 LPF output using OPA

20160904_112318.jpg

20160904_112510.jpg

20160904_112752.jpg

20160904_113200.jpg

Ease of use:
    Just plug it into your computer via the supplied USB cable or optical cable and you’re good to go. It’s that simple. There’s no driver installation required with Windows 10, just plug and play. I would assume it’s the same for W7 and W8 but haven’t tested those. The device shows up in Windows’ Playback Devices as SPDIF Interface FX-AUDIO-DAC-X6. Just select that as your default device and that’s all you’re required to do.

1472978168037.jpg 1472978180012.jpg

Note at this point that my inventory for comparison is rather limited so take this with a grain of salt. So my comparison is against the Benjie K9, Galaxy Note 5 and Sound Blaster Recon3d. Testing was done playing from Foobar2000 using .FLAC and mp3 files from my desktop computer via USB and optical connection using 2 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality). Music tested with includes:

Leudovico Einaudi – Islands, Essential Einaudi (full album flac)
    The Pineapple Thief – Your Wilderness (full album 320kbps mp3)
    Hans Zimmer – Interstellar (full album flac)
    Earthside – A Dream in Static (full album flac)
    Solar Fields – Random Friday (full album flac)
    Jeremy Soule – The Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim soundtrack (full album flac)

There is no audible hiss, even with very low impedance IEMS at high volume.

Testing was done with my Kingston HyperX Cloud (essentially a Takstar Pro 80) and a host of different IEMs. The bass seems to extend a bit further compared to my other sources which brings a nice fullness to the sound. Bass is fairly fast and punchy with good control that reaches deep. With the Cloud the soundstage seemed to open up quite a bit with a bit more airiness and detail. Orchestral soundtracks bring rich tonality with string instruments and low notes on the cellos have a fantastic resonance that is really moving.

The X6 drives the HyperX effortlessly, though obviously they are still easy to drive at only 60 Ohms but the sound was noticeably improved. Acoustic guitars are crystal clear and you can hear the vibration of the individual strings. Drums are life-like with no apparent congestion. Listening to Gavin Harrison’s drums in “The Final Thing on My Mind” is a real treat with the X6. There seems to be plenty of juice left as I rarely pushed the volume knob above the 10 o’clock position and I’m looking forward to testing with some higher end cans in the near future. I will make updates to this section when that happens.

My recently acquired Senfer 4in1 IEM also had a noticeable improvement with the X6. They’re slightly harder to drive than many of my other IEMs and the X6 seems to really bring out the life in them, particularly with acoustic guitars, high hats and an improved soundstage but let’s not forget the extra extension on the bass too.

Conclusion:
    I like the FX-Audio DAC-X6. I really do. The build and quality control is excellent. The aesthetics work well for me – I think it’s a very nice addition to my desktop and being able to easily move it around on the desk makes it so much easier when I want to change headphones. It has a host of input options, RCA outputs and a 6.35mm headphone jack.

If I had to find anything negative it would be that the white text on the silver front panel can be difficult to read depending on the lighting in the room but that’s just nitpicking. Apart from that I can’t really see any faults with the DAC-X6 when factoring in the price, which is always a major determining factor in my reviews.

For someone who’s just getting started in the audiophile world or simply wants to get a better sound than is provided by their onboard computer solution the DAC-X6 is a great entry-level product. It can be found for as little as $60-$70US and is a fantastic little unit.

20160904_112730_Fotor.jpg
      ScubaMan2017, MVDude, Dalsim and 6 others like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Mancue
      Does the amp clip at a high volume?
      Mancue, Nov 6, 2016
    3. Dalsim
      Really good review, good amount of information and unbiased. Just wondered: does the volume knob control volume to the Headphone jack only, or to the RCA outputs too?

Thanks.
      Dalsim, Jan 27, 2017
    4. crabdog
      @Dalsim Thanks and yes, headphones only.
      crabdog, Jan 27, 2017

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!