The Ath-M50X Features The Same Coveted Sonic Signature, Now With The Added Feature Of A...

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Average User Rating:
4.36/5,
  • The Ath-M50X Features The Same Coveted Sonic Signature, Now With The Added Feature Of A Detachable Cable. The M50X Provides An Unmatched Experience For The Most Critical Audio Professionals

Recent User Reviews

1. mokler
    "Fantastic entry level headphones!"
    Pros - Extreme clarity for both his and lows, good ear coverage, can handle a decent amount of power, mobile.
    Cons - Not the comfiest on the top of my head. (Might be my headhsape.)
    I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop the headband from applying too much pressure on the top of my head (might be my head alone that has this problem). Listening to Santana Abraxus DSD 2.8MHz on my Fiio X3 II, My first impression of sound was the amazing clarity and definition on high notes. Crisp and clear without sounding too high. I would like to know if those complaining about emphasized highs are using equalizers as I tend not too. The lows are extremely well handled as well without overpowering the track. I enjoy listening to a mix of classical, rock, alternative, and jazz and these seem to be very well balanced enough to handle all sorts of genres. I do not have much hi-res music in the heavy metal realm, so I do not have a feeling for that. For the price, these are a fantastic deal for entry level headphones and the build quality and sound at this level makes me want to try there higher end phones if I can ever save up for them.
  2. theminstrel
    "A durable introduction to the world of high fidelity "
    Pros - Comfortable, durable, sensitive, "musical", overall neutral tonality, good resolution, Not Pricey, stylish...
    Cons - Narrow soundstage, slightly metallic treble,
    These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are extremely comfortable and adjustable for all head sizes and shapes, the build quality is top notch and they are hard wearing. They come with a range of cables which is useful for home and portable listening, though none have a mic or handsfree buttons. These can be driven to enjoyable volumes even with a weak input source. The sound quality is very good. They are overall tonally balanced as both bass and treble are slightly emphasized over middle frequencies giving a "lush" or "vibrant" sound to the music", though it's not too unnatural . Individual sound elements come through clearly and with great detail. However the stereo sound stage is slightly lacking width and precision compared to many other high end headphones, although they are still a huge step up from regular "consumer" headphones or In-Ear monitors. Overall, a solid purchase for a budding audio enthusiast who is too smart to waste their money on an inferior product.
  3. Dorstlesser
    2.0/5,
    "So much treble"
    Pros - Comfortable
    Cons - Treble, taken my ears, taken my thoughts, absolute horror!

Motivation for purchase
    At work I'm moving from my own office to a space I share with colleagues. I love my Grado SR60e's but they are very leaky so I was looking for a closed pair of cans. I was undecided between the Audio Technica M50x and the AKG K181 DJ UE. The AT got better reviews but was also €50,- more expensive. So, I ordered them both to compare.

Gear
    I'm using them in combination with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black 1.5, Audioengine N22 desktop amp and I'm playing MP3s and FLACs through Foobar.

Build and comfort
    They seem solidly built and fit very comfortably over my ears. I have a fairly large head (not huge) and fairly small ears.

What immediately struck me about the sound was how much treble there was. It is seriously uncomfortable how much (high) treble there is compared to the rest of the spectrum. Maybe this can be solved with equalization but simply crushing the treble (which I tried) did not make them sound much better; because other holes in the spectrum quickly became apparent. The bass is lacking across the board; there's a bump somewhere in there but there's no subbass and the higher end of the bass/lower mids is not smooth at all and sounds very hollow or just absent. I tried them with all sorts of hiphop, rock, techno, folk, pop, classical, jazz you name it but the treble was just completely overpowering everything else. I switched cables to see if that was the problem, but no.

Compared to the Grado SR60e
    Even though the Grado is less than half the price, the AT can't hold a candle to it. Not even remotely. The open Grado's even have more bass across the entire range, smoothly rolling into the mids which are super fluid. If anything, these M50x's have shown me just how damn good those Grado's sound. Of course the Grado's aren't nearly as comfy and they are super leaky.

Compared to the AKG K181 DJ UE
    When turning on the 'bass boost' (which is just the opening of a vent, mind you), the K181s have the pumping bass they are apparently known for. Without the bass boost on, there isn't much; less than the Grado's in any case. The mids seem more fluid than on the M50x, although they don't come close to the Grado's. The treble is much more comfortable, so even though the K181's are not nearly as comfortable to wear as the M50x's, I'm sticking with the K181's as my closed cans. They look better too.

[edit] typo
    caenlenfromOCN and cpauya like this.
  4. capac
    "Really nice headphones"
    Pros - versatile, easy to drive, comfortable
    Cons - too much bass
    Why I like these is because they are really versatile; with many headphones in this price range, you'll need an amplifier to get them to sound really good, but M50x don't need an amp and still sound good. They also look nice, are nicely foldable and are quite comfortable. They are well built and look pretty sturdy, so they don't seem to fall apart any time soon. Soundwise, pretty good even with my iPhone, it's just that they are not flat enough for mixing IMO (too much bass).If you are looking for a nice set of headphones for general music listening and you don't want to carry an amp with you, there's good chance you are gonna get these especially, if you want closed-back headphones.
  5. Aornic
    "Good for listening but not neutral enough to be called studio monitors."
    Pros - Good mids. Slight bass boost for more "fun" listening. Three removable cables included. Does well with every genre.
    Cons - Not studio monitors unlike label. A bit uncomfortable. Not very isolating despite being closed. Bass disappears outdoors leading to tinny sound.
    [​IMG]
  6. Emmett62
    3.5/5,
    "GREAT studio cans, for everything else not so much "
    Pros - removable cable (although its flawed) lightweight, semi-decent comfort, accurate but shallow sound stage
    Cons - high treble, severe distortion with hard bass, cable locking mech and 2.5mm plug, earpads SUCK, and sound leakage.

they are what most people say they are very flatish BUT with a severe (almost painful) bump to the highs and a slight reduction to the bass. they have almost no physical bass (w/o amping) its "heard" but not felt. they have good detail and surround i can close my eyes and accurately point out where a sound come from but asides from being great studio monitors its not great at much else. it does play nice with a EQ to try and cull the treble a bit, but turning up the bass causes extreme distortion. they work great on a phone but amp really well with the fiio e6 almost to a fault since it can be really easy to distort these headphones. my biggest cons tho are comfort, the pads are thin and get very hot for long hours of use causing my ears to sweat. the top padding could have used a little more padding and the way the cable connection juts down from the left ear is annoying since it makes it hard to lean my head to the left. Also the mobile cable not having a 6.3mm connector set up like the other cables is dumb since i and many others do not like having a mass of excess cable on their desk. another minor thing i dislike about them is the have lost a lot of their clamping force on my head to where if i lean my head back they will fall off my ears or the band will slip backwards.

7. theflazy
    "Top of the class for closed-back headphones."
    Pros - Wonderful sound for closed-back headphones. Worth the price.
    Cons - Could have a better cushion. Lacking the noise isolation.
    I'm just gonna get to the point. This isn't a review from an audiophile, just a normal average consumer. So there won't be any statistics. And also since this is a closed-back headphones, I will only be comparing this to another closed-back headphones. Because some people actually buy closed-back headphones for different reason to the open-back headphones.

I must say that I'm actually pretty pleased with the performance of this headphones. It's a little bit bass oriented pair of headphones, but it doesn't block the trebles, which some people might like and the others might not. Now keep that in mind that this is a closed-back headphones, so the sound stage is pretty narrow. The sound isolation is not that good, because this headphones isn't actually made for that. It also takes sometime for me to feel the comfort of the cushions. Though you could buy the replacements if you want to. For the price of around $160, I gotta say that spending that much money to this headphones is actually worthed.

Summary:
    The sound quality for this price point actually pretty good, considering that ATH-M50X is a closed-back headphones. This headphones is good but not perfect, there are some areas which can be done better. Like the cushions, and the noise isolation. The other alternatives for this headphones are Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and AKG K550, which has the similar price point. Now it's up to you to pick which one is the best for you!
  8. RavenPH
    "Great sounding headphones for starters in the audiophile world"
    Pros - Detachable capable, Design (I love the fact that it is portable), Transparent SQ, Great sound production, Good sound stage.
    Cons - Shallow padding, Poor sound isolation
    This is my first review and my first over-ear headphones.

I have been contemplating about buying the ATH-M50x for some quite time after discovering that Beats are a sorry piece of headphones fueled by celebrity marketing to lure its customers (I heard that the new Beats improved in terms of sound quality, but the price is still.... ugh). I just bought the limited edition dark green color. The unit is 2nd hand (Thus, there is no need for burn-in) but still looks and feels new.

Design and Build - Audio-Technica went for a simple but professional looking headphones IMHO. It is mostly made of plastic but you could see the metal part on the rocker. The color combination (Chocolate brown and Dark Green) has a classical beauty in my eyes. It does not scream "LOOK AT ME!" when wearing them, which is perfect for me. The hinge on the right side of the headphones creaks from time to time. The pads on the ear cups and headband are soft and are probably made of the same material. The M50x is heavy when I first held them but after wearing them I did not feel that much weight in my head. At first, the clamping is tight and uncomfortable that I stopped wearing them to relieve the pain. But after a few days wearing them for longer periods of time they became very comfortable.

Sound Quality - Now to the most important part, how does it sound? While writing this, I am still using the headphones. The bass is there when it is needed to be. Sometimes it is subdued in some of my tracks but most of the time the bass is solid. The treble is very good. The sound production.... wow it blew my mind. It felt like the artists and musicians are performing in the room. The sound stage is great, never expected it from a closed back headphones. You could place every instrument you heard and identify it. It is very detailed.

Price - Priced at 7,000 PhP (around $136) with the solid build and great SQ, it is a great buy.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is a great choice for people who wants to venture on over-ear headphones.
  9. Audioholic123
    3.0/5,
    "Audio Technica ATH-M50X"
    Pros - Decent Highs and soundstage.
    Cons - The bass is Overpowering, not studio quality. Earpads are an awkward shape.
    The audio Technica ATH-M50X is a good headphone to listen to bassy music. However, I do not think they are studio quality. Soundstage is good and the high's are quite accurate. Mid's are ruined by the overpowering bass.
    The earpads are an awkward shape and can be very uncomfortable.

Better alternatives exist.
  10. dannydamsky
    "Perfect for everything, worth every penny."
    Pros - Punchy bass, crisp sound, works well with every genre, great for gaming, comfortable, very well built.
    Cons - None that I can think of
    IMG_20150907_174226.jpg

These headphones are just brilliant for their price. I've heard a few other pairs at it's price range and I assure you there's nothing quite like it.

I've heard people say that these have bloated bass, and I have to disagree. The bass shines in songs where it's emphasized, songs which do not emphasize the bass will not sound boomy or out of place. The mids sound great, judging by headphone graphs it seems that they're a bit recessed, but I don't notice it, there's not a single song that left an empty feeling like something was missing in the frequency range. The high's are crisp and clear. There's no fatigue with this headphone, at the same time you're gonna hear every single detail with every single song, I really like how clear voices sound with these headphones, the amount of clarity is just phenomenal.

The headphones are going to sound great no matter where you plug them in, they're portable and well built.

As for gaming, for the reasons mentioned above, they're great for gaming. When there's explosions, you're gonna feel it. When there's footsteps, you're gonna hear them, even if they're from the other side of the wall. A lot of times when playing CS:GO, whenever I was spectating I helped my team out by telling them from which side the opponent is coming, because they couldn't hear it, but I could.

All in all I recommend these headphones to anybody looking to pickup their first audiophile pair.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!