Alpha & Delta D2

3.82143/5,
  1. thatBeatsguy
    3.5/5,
    "Running Wild"
    Pros - Excellent build. Incredible bass. Aggressive midrange.
    Cons - Bass is too powerful for my tastes.

Intro

[​IMG]

TL;DR: The Alpha & Delta D2 provides an aggressive, basshead-friendly twist to the budget sport IEM format that may or may not be a good thing.

Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Teo at Lend Me Ur Ears for providing a review sample of the Alpha & Delta D2/m in exchange for my honest opinion. I am neither affiliated with LMUE, Alpha & Delta, or any of its staff, nor was I paid to write this review. All opinions and photos shown in this review are my own unless otherwise specified. Finally, please take the opinions expressed here with a grain of salt. Thanks!

Lend Me Ur Ears’ in-house brand, Alpha & Delta made headlines on audiophile forums last year with the release of their debut dual-driver dynamic IEM, the AD01. From then on, it was clear that A&D has cemented itself as one of the must-watch up-and-coming brands on the market. About three months ago, Teo sent me a prototype of an IEM that A&D was developing at the time. That IEM turned out to be the D2 you see today.

So, to coincide with the D2’s release date (which also happens to be today), we are giving you an in-depth look at Alpha & Delta’s latest ~$30 sports IEM. How will it fare? Read on and find out!

== Aesthetics ==

Packaging, Accessories​

[​IMG]

The D2 arrives in a rather nondescript grey box with all the basic info on the IEM. You’ve got a flat image of the earphones on the front, an accessories list on the side, and a basic description and specifications list on the back (see the Specs section for the full list).

Opening up the box, you are greeted by plastic pouches containing 8 pairs of ear tips, a shirt clip, and a round carrying case, inside which are the earphones themselves. Also included is a one year limited warranty card. To be honest, the included eartips – 6 pairs of silicone ear tips and 2 pairs of foamies – are actually rather generous for a package at this price. However, since we’ve also seen this with their $100 AD01, it seems A&D may be trying to follow Brainwavz’ habit of including a ton of eartips with all of their earphones. So far, so good.

Design, Build, Microphonics​

[​IMG]
    Having received the beta prototype of the D2 three months back, I was able to see the differences made between that and the final production version. However, overall I found few changes were actually made between them, so I will be able to point them out as I continue.

Their rather rotund housings are built from a solid plastic, although I can’t actually tell what it is because it’s coated with a smooth matte finish. Even the nozzles have a matte coating which makes the whole assembly feel like it is one piece although it’s actually made out of three. (In the beta prototype the nozzles were wider, had a gloss finish, and also tended to come off the housings; the narrower matte finish nozzles found in the production version seems to be their fix for that. Otherwise, no other changes were made to design.)

[​IMG]
    Being a sports earphone, the D2 is designed to be worn around the ear; as such they have a sort of tube that runs from the housings to a point on the cable that serves as a built-in ear hook to keep the cable tied down during physical activities. What’s notable about these ear hooks is that they do not have memory wire like the Sport-Fi M6; instead, their lack of memory wire therefore makes them similar to also-recently-released Brainwavz XF200 (which I also reviewed not too long ago). The rest of the cable is built incredibly well – the cable is supple, durable, and generates little to no cable noise at all.

Their remote (available on the D2m) remains unchanged from its beta version, and features a singular button and a universal volume slider similar to that of the MEE M6 Pro (basically it's a slider that controls an analogue limiter that works separately from your source device, so make sure you keep the slider all the way up before you start complaining on the forums about “low volume” or “high impedance”). And all that is on top of their IPX4 sweat-resistance rating which is a huge plus if you sweat a lot during your workout (because seriously, who doesn’t sweat a lot during their workout?).

Having dealt with the problem with the nozzles in the prototype last year, A&D placed the final piece of the heavy-duty budget build that is the D2. From looks and feel alone they're already worth the asking price.

Fit, Comfort, Isolation​

​

The rounded housings provide a very secure and easy fit, with its matte finish giving an extra grip to the seal. The housings are also specially moulded to fit the inner part of the ear. Overall, this makes for a smooth, stable, and excellently comfortable fit. Their isolation is about identical to that of the prototype version, which is to say it isn't that good. But there is some benefit to this, as the lessened isolation gives you better awareness on the road.

So with that, we've covered just about everything concerning the D2 on the surface. In the next section, let’s dive deeper towards the stuff that really matters.

== Sound ==

N/A
    Cable
    1.2m cable
    Connector
    (D2) 3.5mm (1/8”) angled gold-plated TRS connector (D2m) 3.5mm (1/8”) straight gold-plated TRRS connector
    Accessories
    3x sets red silicone eartips (S/M/L)
    3x sets black silicone eartips (S/M/L)
    2x sets black foam eartips (M/L)
    Shirt clip
    Carrying case
    Warranty card (1 year)

Equipment, Burn-in​

The source equipment used in this review is primarily a 5[sup]th[/sup]-generation iPod Touch directly running the D2. For the amp test, I use a Schiit Fulla hooked up to my PC running iTunes 12 and foobar2k. For the EQ test, I will be using TuneShell for iOS and Viper4Windows on PC. Most of the tracks on the playlist I normally use to test the earphones can be found here, although I will include links to specific songs in the review for quick, easy reference.

As is standard procedure, the D2 was burned in for at least 50 hours prior to writing this review. Most of that time was spent on actual ears-on time instead of leaving it to play white noise for that length of time. I also have the beta prototype version, which I've used for close to 100 hours of ear-time. I noticed no changes in both units after burn-in, but I did notice some changes between units, which I will point out below.

Sound Quality​

Bass:

Just like the AD01 before it, bass is the name of the game here (being a sports IEM, that's no surprise). Their heavy, tone really brings out the dark, deep basslines of WRLD’s “Drowning.” Their rather dark tonality sounds quite reminiscent of the AD01, although its single-driver configuration can't completely reproduce the prodigious Super-Saiyan awesomeness of its dual-driver relative. However, the D2 still is quite basshead-friendly by itself, reproducing Haywyre's “Dichotomy with a level of power and authority ranking high amongst the other IEMs I've reviewed at this price range.

However, despite their power, I found them to exhibit a good level of control over their low-end, retaining their speed in fast, bass-heavy passages like Fox Stevenson’s “Give Them Hell.” Of course, this control may or may not be apparent depending on the recording being listened to. Whereas the bass kicks are light and subdued in Nigel Good’s “Nova,” the orchestral bass drums in Gareth Coker’s “The Crumbling Path rumble and resonate excessively through the soundstage. Whether this is a good thing or not is really down to the user’s preference.

Midrange:
    What's common with a lot of basshead-friendly IEMs is their difficulty (if not outright inability) to keep the midrange clear and not overwhelmed by the bass. What's not common are IEMs like the Alpha & Delta D2, which presents the middle frequencies with a smooth forwardness that reminds me a lot of the Brainwavz XF200, but sounds just different enough that they gain a personality of their own.

The bass contributes to the D2’s midrange a bit by adding some much-needed heft, which otherwise would’ve left it sounding rather thin. Vocals and instruments are presented a bit more in-your-face compared to other IEMs, which is apparent in tracks like Ariana Grande’s “Honeymoon Avenue” and Daft Punk’s “Fragments of Time”. But for some reason, I found the D2’s reproduction of these tracks to be quite pleasing. Nothing really sounds necessarily wrong or out of place. It just sounds right…

Treble:
    …except for the treble, that is. Just like the AD01 before it, I have expressed some concerns regarding Alpha & Delta’s treble tuning of their earphones – in those IEMs, I found them to lack treble energy and extension. I thought things have been “fixed” by A&D with the arrival of their new IEM, but no, I guess the treble will stay the same for the sake of creating some sort of “house sound.”

In all honesty, though, I guess you can call me out for disliking the D2’s treble – it’s quite okay for a sport-oriented IEM like this, and on that note, you would be right and I would agree. But when the D2’s treble consists of peaks at 5 and 7 kHz and roll-off beyond 10 kHz, then yes, I think there’s some room in there for me to voice my concerns.

[​IMG]

Soundstage/Presentation: The overall soundstage of the D2 is a little bit congested in my opinion – this is probably due in part to the snappy, forward midrange and just overall small sound. Imaging, however, is quite solid, with positional cues being clearly-defined. Beyond that there’s not much to talk about. Let’s move on.

Genre Proficiency:
    The D2 is a prodigiously bassy IEM, so it naturally excels at EDM and its bass-heavy subgenres. However, in my opinion EDM is probably the only genre that the D2 specifically excels at. Their clear midrange allows for a wider range of listenable genres, but all are to a varying degree of outright proficiency.

Summary:
    The Alpha & Delta D2’s goal is supposedly to fuse audiophile-approved sound with lots of bass and package it in a sport IEM shell. If that was what they were going for, I guess they're straying away from the whole “audiophile” label a bit because of their incredibly powerful bass. Despite being a sport IEM, they sound a little more like Arnold Schwarzenegger than Usain Bolt – there's just an incredible amount of muscular brawn that in my opinion bogs you down instead of helping you go the extra mile.

Other Media

Bass is nice to have in an earphone when you're gaming. Take away the bass, and you take away the compelling weight and power behind explosions and depth to deep orchestral scores like in Ori and the Blind Forest (which is an amazing game, by the way). Having some of that bass fills in that facet of the gaming immersion formula, and because of that I am very particular about exactly how much bass I want to have in an earphone. But though not having bass is one thing, having too much of it is another. I guess that’s what they call “too much of a good thing.” With too much bass, you get too much explosion, too much cello, too much timpani, and, well, you’re left with a bit of a mess. When you’ve got too much bass, you have one facet of the immersion nailed down, but the rest is obscured if not outright overwhelmed by it. And that sucks.

Amp & EQ Response

But lucky for us, there is an amazing piece of software that can fix that. This is known as the equalizer. And also lucky for us, the D2 respond to tweaks to the bass and, with it, you can effectively tame the bass down to much more pleasing levels – balancing out the bass and keeping the rest of the frequencies clear and separated from the low registers. With the EQ, we can also fix the treble, but to a lesser degree of success.

The D2 doesn’t respond to amping as well as it does with EQ – I mean, it is made to work with mobile devices.

The D2/D2m can be bought for around $26 and $30, respectively. At this price, they go directly head-to-head with the Brainwavz XF200, which provides a strikingly similar package, but at a cheaper price, and with an entirely different sound signature. Value is a subjective factor, and as such, I will present my view on the subject in the next section, where I will compare the two extensively.

Comparison

Versus Brainwavz XF200 ($26.50):
    The Brainwavz XF200 is an excellent sport IEM released quite recently – just around January earlier this year. Now that one was a gem – excellent sound, excellent accessories, and an excellent build to boot. Then the D2 comes along and now we have two new IEMs with a similar marketing pitch, similar build, similar…pretty much everything. Let’s break them down a bit and come up with a verdict.

Their build and isolation are overall quite similar, so you can leave them at a tie. The D2’s more rounded housings and grippy matte finish give them a point in fit and comfort. But the sound? I’m gonna have to issue a 2/3 split-decision win in favour of the XF200. The bass hits harder and digs deeper than the XF200, but the XF200 has more control and sounds more pleasing on more genres. (As a side note, I found certain reviewers who called the XF200 a “basshead” IEM. I don’t know why they would call them that – they either have a very low bass tolerance or haven’t heard a real basshead IEM. Either way, the XF200 really isn’t as bassy as said reviewers would have you believe.) The midrange is clear on both IEMs, but I have to admit, I do like the more aggressive mids of the D2 over the XF200, so the one point goes to it. The treble is an easy win for the XF200 – I don’t think I need to explain why.

== Conclusion ==

[​IMG]

So, in conclusion, does this make the Alpha & Delta D2 a bad IEM? Well, not exactly – they do sound quite good on their own. Their only technical weakness truly lies in their wonky treble tuning and not much else. The problem, however, is that the D2 tries to provide a marketing pitch that, despite coming later to the party than the Brainwavz XF200, fails to overshadow the latter in terms of overall performance. The XF200 just does everything so well that I can’t help but feel the D2 falls short here.

However, the D2 has its own merits, namely in its ability to cater to the niche basshead market, who will find their bass pleasing enough for a sport IEM. Overall, however, I just don’t think they do much to bring anything better to the table and, in my opinion, will just stay there as one of my less-recommended IEMs.

Category
    Score
    Packaging, Accessories
    8/10​
    Solid packaging matched with a generous selection of eartips. What’s not to like?
    Design, Build, Microphonics
    9/10​
    The D2’s design is very well thought-out, with all the right features designed for a sport-oriented IEM and then some.
    Fit, Comfort, Isolation
    8/10​
    The D2’s excellent housings provide a secure fit and comfortable feel. Isolation is not as excellent, however.
    Bass
    8/10​
    It’s the definition of basshead. Blows you away like it just don’t care.
    Midrange
    7/10​
    Forward, aggressive, and surprisingly clear. Not too bad, considering the other factors.
    Treble
    4/10​
    The D2’s treble seems to be neglected in terms of tuning – it’s wonky, spiked in the wrong frequencies, and just sounds wrong.
    Presentation
    6/10​
    Decent at best. A little congested in terms of spatial width, but has pretty good positional capabilities.
    Gaming, Movies
    6.5/10​
    Strong bass = strong no.
    EQ & Amp Response
    7/10​
    At least you can tame the bass with some EQ. Amping doesn’t really do much.
    7/10​
    At $26 for the non-mic version and $36.00 for the mic version, it loses out to recent competitors like the Brainwavz XF200.
    Total
    7.1/10​
    The Alpha & Delta D2 brings a niche basshead twist to the sport IEM market – excellent if you like it, not so if you’re not.

Shout-Outs, Gallery

I would like to again thank Teo at LMUE for sending out the D2 sample shown in this review. I’ve got a couple more reviews coming over the month, so stay tuned for that. As always, be sure to check out some of my other reviews here!

This has been thatBeatsguy of DB Headphones; thanks for reading!

About the Company

Lend Me UR Ears only have one mission: That is, to bring quality audioproducts to the masses and providing good customer service in the process.”
    Link:http://www.lendmeurears.com/

Changelog

cpauya and B9Scrambler like this.
  2. peter123
    "Great sport IEM offering from Alpha & Delta"
    Pros - Great build, comfort and sound for its price range
    Cons - Slightly boomy mid bass, strange memory wire solution and potentially difficult fit
    The Alpha & Delta D2 (A&D D2 from here on) was sent to me from Lend Me Ur Ears (LMUE) in the exchange for me outing up a review of them. I’d like to say thank you to Teo at LMUE for giving me the chance to check them out: thanks man!

At the time of this review they were available from the LMUE website for right below $26:

I’m not in any way affiliated with LMUE or Alpha & Delta.

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

About Alpha & Delta:
    Alpha & Delta is the house brand of LMUE and as far as I understand Teo is the one responsible for the tuning of them. The D2 is their second IEM to be released.

About me:
    I’m a 43 year old music and sound lover that changed my focus from speakers to headphones and IEM’s about five years ago. At that time I realized that it wasn’t realistic for me to have all the different setups that I wanted and still house a family of four children and a wife so my interest turned first to full sized headphones and later also IEM’s.
    My preferences are towards full sized open headphones and I believe that also says something about what kind of sound signature I prefer (large soundstage in all directions, balanced and organic sound).
    My music preferences are pretty much all over the place (only excluding classical music, jazz and really heavy metal). My all-time favorite band is Depeche Mode although I also listen to a lot of grunge/indie, singer/songwriter/acoustical stuff as well as the typical top 40 music.
    I do not use EQ, ever.
    I’m a sucker for value for money on most things in life, Head-Fi related stuff is no exception.

Built and accessories:
    The A&D D2 is a single dynamic IEM featuring a 10 mm driver.

The D2 is available in two versions: with or without a microphone, I’ve got the version without a mic.

The build of the D2 is very good for the price point. The housings are made of plastic but still feel very well made and reliable.

The cable is all black and feels pretty standard and medium prone to tangle. There’s solid strain relief in place in all the right places. The Y-split has perfect size in my opinion and the chin slider as well an angled (45 degrees) 3.5 mm are also in place just the way I like it. The one thing I’m not that positive about is the extra plastic tubes acting as a kind of memory wire. I personally really dislike memory wire and find the tubes to be better than regular memory wire but I’d have preferred the regular cable with a pair of ear guides included instead so that the user could choose whether to use it or not.

The left/right marketing is nothing less than genius and very easy to spot since the strain relief on the right earpiece is red (see picture below).

IMG_3664.jpg
    Check out the easy to spot left/right marketing on the strain reliefs.

It’s worth noting that the D2’s are marketed as a sport IEM and the built certainly makes that statement feeling true. They’re also IPX 4 sweat resistant which does further more underline the great built.

The retail package is very nice given the humble price of the D2’s. I’ve seen much more expensive offerings with less good presentation.

The accessories pack is also nice for the price and includes the following:
    3 pairs of silicone tips (S, M, L)
    3 pairs of triple flange tips (S, M, L)
    2 pairs of foam tips
    1 shirt clip
    1 clam shell style zippered case to store them in while not in use

The A&D D2’s easy to drive and works fine even with my LG G3 phone. This is an important thing to me with an IEM designed to be used for “on the move” activities where most people don’t want to carry around a brick.

Isolation is less than I’d expect for an IEM with this design and I say it’s even lower than average even with foam tips.

IMG_3660.jpg

16 Ohms
    Cable lenght
    1.2m

Fit and ergonomics:
    The D2’s are designed to be used over the ears. Although I find them to be very comfortable I did struggle quite a bit to find the right fit. Something about the angle of the stem and my ear canals made it hard to get a comfortable fit and good seal for me. In the end I found a pair of foam tips that solved this issue but I’ve not been able to find any silicone tips giving me both great comfort and a good seal.

As already mentioned I’m not crazy about the” memory wire” solution and although it does work well for me I’d have preferred a simple pair of ear guides/hooks instead.

Once the D2’s are safe in place they sit very flush to the ear and I’ve got no problem sleeping with it.

Soud:
    I’ve used the A&D D2’s back and forward for the last couple of weeks as well and they’ve played for well over 100 hours. I’ve used them both around the house and when out and about and I haven’t really found any significant weaknesses in the way they’re designed.

I’ve used them with my LG G3 phone (with and without my Elecom PAR500 BT receiver/amp), my FiiO X3/Cayin C5 combo and the CEntrance DACport Slim and they’ve worked very well with all of them.

Demo list:
    Thomas Dybdahl – A Lovestory
    Norah Jones – Don’t Know Why
    Celldweller – Unshakeable
    Jack Johnson – Better Together
    Seinabo Sey – Younger (Kygo remix)
    Dire Straits- So Far Away
    Lupe Fiasco - Deliver
    Morrissey – Earth Is the Loneliest Planetello
    Adele - Hello
    The overall sound signature on the A&D D2’s is smooth and fairly well balanced with a mid-bass hump and a slightly forward midrange.

At first listen the things I noticed right away was the hump I the mid-bass and the overall smooth presentation. Sub bass on the D2’s is fairly well extended with a nice impact but the mid- and upper bass is clearly more noticeable. The bass is of good quality for the price but I do find it to interfere with the midrange a bit more than what I ideally would prefer. The mid bass might be a bit too much for my tastes but I’m quite sensitive to it and I’m sure that for a lot of others it won’t be a problem but for me a bit more sub bass and less mid-bass would have been welcome. Still this is not big enough of an issue to be a deal breaker to me (especially not at this price) and I’ve heard much worse.

The midrange on the D2’s is smooth, liquid and quite full but still feels overshadow by the mid bass sometimes. It does have rather good presence and both male and female vocals are smooth and full and quite forward only occasionally overshadowed by the upper bass. I’ve seen some mentioning of the D2’s being a mid-centric IEM but I wouldn’t say that since the bass is the most noticeable on them to my ears but the combination of forward mid bass and forward midrange makes them quite special.

The treble is smooth and fairly well extended without being very detailed but it never introduces any sibilance either. The transition from the upper midrange to the lower treble feels very natural and liquid and as a whole the presentation is pretty even to my ears except for the mid-bass hump.

As already mentioned the overall presentation is quite smooth but it’s also surprisingly airy. This combination works really well to me and gives a signature that easy to enjoy. The added air also helps to keep instrument separation well above that what I’d consider to be average at this price. Both soundstage width and depth is about average for an IEM at this price point. I think the area where the D2’s loose out the most to more expensive offerings (and also some good cheaper and similarly priced ones) is in clarity and resolution. It’s still good in these areas but it’s obvious that this is a trade-off for the smooth and non-fatiguing presentation that I don’t here in the SHOZY Zero ($50) for example.

Comparison:
    Please note that the comments in the comparison section are not in absolute terms but in comparison between subject A and B. This means (as an example) that if subject A is found to be brighter than subject B it does not necessarily mean that subject A is bright sounding in absolute terms. I hope this makes sense.

For these comparisons I’ve been listening thorough my CEntrance DACport Slim.

Philips TX2 vs Alpha & Delta D2:
    I picked up the TX2 for $29 shipped from Honk Kong more than a year ago and it’s still one of my favorite sub $30 offerings.

Compared to the D2 the sub bass on the TX2 reaches a bit deeper with more impact and better layering. The D2’s on the other hand has more mid bass impact with more bass bleed. The midrange on the TX2’s is recessed compared to the D2’s but also cleaner due to less interference from the bass. Vocal’s more forward, and does also sound fuller and more natural on the D2’s. The treble on the TX2 has better clarity and extension but still manage to stay smooth. Details, clarity and especially resolution are noticeable better on the TX2’s. The TX2’s also perform better in soundstage in all directions while the separation is quite similar on both.

I find them equally comfortable and both are also well built.

The TX2’s are harder to drive.

Isolation is pretty similar.

Brainwavz S0 vs Alpha & Delta D2:
    Although the MRSP on the S0 is $49 it’s quite often available on sale for $29 so I still figured that it would be valid comparison.

These two are actually quite similar in the overall presentation. Compared to the D2 the S0 has about the same amount and impact in the sub-bass while the S0 has less mid- and upper bass impact with less bass bleed.  Although the character of the midrange is similar on both it is a bit more forward on the D2’s and vocals sounds more natural with them. The treble is quite similar although slightly more distinct on the S0’s and none of them are prone to sibilance. Details, clarity and resolution are better on the S0. Soundstage depth and 3D presentation is quite similar while width is better on the S0.

I find them equally comfortable and both are also very well built.

The S0’s are harder to drive.

Isolation is better on the S0.

Vsonic VSD1 vs Alpha & Delta D2:
    The Vsonic VSD1 has been around for a few years now but is probably one of the most well-known good performers around the $30 price point.

Compared to the D2 the sub bass on the VSD1 doesn’t reach quite as low while more impact is quite similar. The mid bass is actually very similar in both quality and quantity on the two. The midrange on the VSD1’s are slightly less forward compared to the D2’s and they both have a full liquid midrange presentation. Vocal’s more forward, and feels more natural on the D2’s. The treble on the two is quite similar with the VSD1 being slightly fuller. Details, clarity and resolution are very similar on both. The D2’s perform better in soundstage width while the VSD1 has better depth as well as a more 3D presentation. The VSD1 is more intimate in its presentation while the D2 has more air giving them a bit more energy and better separation.

Built is considerable better on the D2’s while I found comfort (helped by the adjustable nozzle) to be slightly better on the VSD1’s.

They VSD1 are slightly harder to drive.

Isolation is better on the Vsonic’s.

Summary:
    All in all I find the Alpha & Delta D2 to offer a great total package. Its easy going and enjoyable smooth sound signature combined with excellent comfort and a very good build quality makes them a great offering in their price range. As a matter of fact they hold up pretty well even against some of my favorite sub $50 offerings.

Like every other IEM’s they’ve got a couple of less good properties as well and those would include the slightly boomy mid bass, potentially difficult fit and the half way memory wire solution would pretty much sum it up. None of these are deal breakers to me though and as a total package with an easy enjoyable sound, comfortable fit and sweat resistant build I find them to be an easy recommendation to anyone looking for a sport style IEM in the sub $50 price range.

IMG_3670.jpg
  3. BloodyPenguin
    "A Budget Sport Earphone for Us Audiophiles"
    Pros - Great Sound for the Price, Well Built, Comfortable, Sweat Proof, Microphone Version Available
    Cons - Housing are Dust Magnets, Shallow Fit for Some
    I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone:

P1060957C2.jpg

**A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**:

#1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the Alpha & Delta D2.  I’d like to thank Teo for the Sample.

#2 – I’m not a fan in general of sports/workout earphones, as I don’t like to use them when I work out.

#3 – All photography was completed by me, no stock photos from LMUE were used.

*Price*

A the time of this review, the D2 can be purchase for $23.33 and the D2M is $26.67.

*Product Links*

D2 - http://www.lendmeurears.com/alpha-delta-d2/
    D2 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EUT2Y8C

D2M - http://www.lendmeurears.com/alpha-delta-d2m/
    D2M - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EUV61R0

The few differences between the two models is the D2 has an angled jack and the D2M has the straight jack, along with the Microphone & Volume control.

*Mobile Version*

Reviewed is the D2M (mobile version with the microphone and volume control)

P1060970.jpg

*Features*

- Flexible memory wire for secure and easy over the ear fit
    - Balanced and clear sound signature
    - IPX 4 sweat resistant design

*Packaging*

For a budget IEM, Alpha & Delta kept the box simple and to the point.  Looks nice IMO.

P1060975.jpg

- Speaker Sensitivity: 95 +/- db/ mW
    - Cord Length: 1.2m
    - Plug: 3.5 mm

*Build/Design*

As a sweat proof sports earphone, one would imagine there would be a tight, rubbery build and you would be correct.  LMUE did a wonderful job keeping the D2 light, small and water resistant.

The matte black housing feels nice in the hand it is a great material to get a good grip when inserting the D2.  From a photography stand point, they are the worst!  They are dust/debris magnets.  You don’t know how long it took me to clean them before each picture and even then I still missed some.   Though for most people, this will not be an issue.

Strain relief is more than sufficient throughout.  I am very confident that the Alpha & Delta D2 can take a beating and then ask for more.

The strain reliefs at the housings are red (right) and black (left) in coloring, I like this simple touch as it helps to quickly discern which side each earphone goes to.

P1060974.jpg

*Fit/Comfort*

The light and small build makes for an easy and comfortable fit that is also due to the plethora of ear tip options.  I found that the foam tips worked best for me, as they created both a tight seal and also helped to keep the D2 securely in my ear.

The one thing I am confused about is the “Memory Wire”.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they really don’t feel like any sort of memory wire.  While they flowed around the ear with ease, they just did not seem to want to stay there as the wire would flop around and never really provide much of any grip.  The best way to keep everything in place was with the use of the chin strap.  I think providing a pair of cheap ear guides would be a nice addition to the accessories.

Once inserted, I did not notice much discomfort, even with long use.  If anything, I found the D2 to be less intrusive that I thought they would be.

Now I know I could have used that chin strap thing to tighten up the cable to my ears under my throat, but it is not comfortable and looks a bit silly IMO.

P1060965.jpg

*Sports Use*

While I have been quite the athlete over the years, soccer, track, baseball, basketball, weightlifting and anything else I had time for, I never once used earphones when training;  Never.

In the last few years I have backed off on sports and working out a lot as I recently got married and now have two children.  The one thing I do a lot of is walking, as I live relatively close to my work.  This gave me lots of time to use the D2M while on the go.

During my time walking to work, I was able to test both the microphone and volume control on a daily basis.  Phone calls to the ball and chain were clear and done with little distortion.  The volume control was handy as I did not have to take my cell phone out of my pocket while waking and instead could concentrate on not getting hit by crazy drivers looking to get points for running me over.

Overall, the optional mobile features worked very well and are of great use to me.

P1060969.jpg

*Sound*

Lows – Believe in burn in or not, but at first listen, I could have sworn these had a lot more bass.  After some use, that bigger bass turned it to much more controlled bass.  While there is an emphasis on the lows, I never found them to be overpowering.

Mids – I like the mids.  They are tuned to bring out a high class of vocals with accurate playback and detail.  While they might not have the resolve of more expensive earphones, they do amazingly well for their price.

Highs – These are workout earphones in design.  So while you are out concentrating on your run or whatever, it is nice to know at least your ears will not feel any fatigue.  That is because the highs in the D2 are rolled off very nicely.  Not to remove clarity, but to remove any chance of being sibilant or piercing. The D2 is nicely tuned in the upper region.

Soundstage – May I say I heard a hint of airiness within the decent depth.  I sure did.  Kind of a surprise here, for a closed back IEM these really do have a decent sense of distance and space.

Isolation – Isolation with the D2 is going to depend a lot on your fit and seal.  Well the same can be said for most IEMs.  The plastic housing does block some noise, but I would not say they isolate overly well.

P1060972.jpg

*Sources*

Samsung Galaxy S4:  My main source used for the D2M was my phone, as I received the M (mobile version).  As I discussed earlier, I paired these two during my daily walks to work.  I even used them once in a light drizzle.  I found that the two played very well together, as the D2 is easy to drive and very forgiving with sources.

FiiO M3:  For ultra-portability, these two were a great duo.  The M3 with its small body and the D2 with its small housing gave way to a very small combined footprint.  They also worked very well together in tonal aspects as well.  I noticed a little lower end presence (still with lots of control).  Mids and highs were also brought up a touch in presentation.

ORB Casa DSD System:   I wanted to test the full potential of the D2, so I ran it through the best system I own.  I was quite impressed on how these scaled up.  While not high end IEM killers, the little Alpha & Delta sports earphone did surprise me with the playback for its price.  With the ORB at the helm, it helped the D2 to tighten up the bass even further with a little added clarity through the mids and highs.

Pro-Ject Audio Head Box DS:  Here I found the best signature response.  The Head Box DS has a handy knack for smoothing out bass and replacing it with boosted detail in the Mids and Highs.  And so was such when it was paired with the D2.

P1060960.jpg

*Overall Thoughts*

I think Alpha & Delta has a real sports earphone winner on their hands.  As it is, for this price, the D2 is quite the all-around performer.  They take on the lows with authority, the mids with clarity and smooth the highs in an articulately way.

Comfort and fit can depend on ear size and tip rolling, but the small matte housings are gentle in the ears.

It is nice that there is an optional mobile version for those looking for additional features.  For me, I think it is well worth the extra $3.34 (at the time of this review).

Those looking for a great sounding sports IEM that is easy on the wallet, many will find the D2 is right for them.  I'm glad I took a chance to review the D2, as I was pleasantly surprised by this budget IEM.

P1060971.jpg

4. audio123
    "Pushing The Limits Of Budget Iems"
    Pros - Excellent cable, Clear mids, Extended treble, Good fitting, Accessories,
    Cons - None given the retail price
    Alpha & Delta D2

Alpha & Delta is Lend Me Ur Ears house brand and the D2 is their second product. Priced at 40 SGD which is equivalent to 30 USD, they prove a strong competition among the budget iems.

Good for everyday use and for sports activities
    Clear midrange, extended treble and controlled bass resulting in clear reproduction of music
    IPX4 sweat resistant
    Excellent noise isolation
    Flexible memory wire for secure and easy over-the-ear fit

Specifications

Driver Unit: 10mm dynamic driver
    Impedance: 16 ohms
    Rated Power: 1 mW
    Frequency Response: 10Hz - 20kHz
    Speaker Senstivity: 95+-3 dB/mW(@1kHz)
    Cord Length: 1.2m

6 pair of silicon tips
    2 pair of foam tips
    1 case

Unboxing

This is the most subjective area.

I find the D2 tonality to be quite balanced in a sense. However, there is a slight lean towards a bright sound. This IEM has an above average details retrieval that is unmatched of at this price point. Of course, dynamic iems benefit greatly from burn-in and this iem is no exception. One thing that impresses me is the extension of treble and the mids. The treble extends really well and is neither harsh nor smooth. Treble of the D2 is pretty close to Pinnacle P1 by MeeAudio, however it still lacks the refinement. It is important to note that price of P1 is close to 8 times the price of D2. The elevation of mids is quite prominent and there is an emphasis on the upper mids which allows vocals to shine. Interestingly, the mids and sub bass of these reminds me of the FLC8S. It is hard for the D2 to replicate the performance of the FLC8S given its price. In conclusion, those who are looking for a budget iem should start off with these. I would not say the D2 is perfect but at this price point, it is arguably the best I have ever heard.

Conclusion

The D2 is a serious contender for the best budget iem. Apart from the good sonic performance of the D2, the accessories are excellent at 30USD. Definitely worth buying considering the price to performance ratio.