Alpha & Delta D2

1. Johnny_Joestar
    Bass on a Budget
    Written by Johnny_Joestar
    Published Sep 9, 2017
    Pros - Good quality, many tips, decently durable, water & sweat resistant
    Cons - Leans on the bassier side (not a problem for me, but for some), memory wire
    Man, I've been waiting to crack my review fingers for this one. With an extensive library of genres and songs, as well as many different formats, I wanted to show my views on these wonderful things for a while. After I (sadly) lost my KZ ZS3s, I was in the market for a new IEM. I had a few choices, but ultimately decided on these due to the carrying case and varieties of eartips. Enough of that, though. Let us get into the review.

Note: these are the D2 and not D2M, so I cannot speak on terms of the microphone. Also, I was not given these for free, and I will never stop sharing my honest opinions just due to the fact I get something for no cost.

Appearance:

I personally believe these look great. Although not as cool as something like the CA Andromeda, or as strange as the ZS3, I think these are nice. The build is good as well, and it works for what it is. Something not in your face, but that still has itself stand nicely. Each side has either red or black near the connectors. They're very helpful when trying to find what each side is.

Accessories:

I find it nice they included a plethora of things. The carrying case is hard, but not by too much. It also has pockets to store the extra goodies you get, the eartips. I did not expect this many. You have standard silicon eartips in three sizes, as well as rubber ones with the same simple three sizes. These fit nicely, and slide in and out with ease. Not bad. However, I did not expect them to have foam tips. I can say these are very comfortable. They are mainly for isolation, the design of the tips being a giveaway. I think these are finely made, as there are two, and the first ones have been lasting well since I got them. There is an included shirt clip as well, but I don't really use shirt clips much. Maybe I'll use it sometime, but for now, I can't say much for it, other than it looks solid. All around, you get a lot of things for the little money you paid.

Comfort:

I've had very long listening sessions with these on. Saying from experience, these will be good for a 5-minute listen, or a 5-hour flight. They're over-ears, but their design makes this work in its favor. I've never had them not seal or slip out of my ear. They fit very well, and won't irritate you on a ride.

Specs: These are straight from the official sellers themselves.
    • Driver unit: 10mm dynamic driver
    • Impedance: 16 ohm
    • Rated power: 1mW
    • Frequency Response: 10 Hz- 20 Khz
    • Speaker Sensitivity: 95 +/- db/ mW
    • Cord Length: 1.2m
    • Plug: 3.5 mm

This is very important to say, but although I like balance, I find these still fit my tastes due to the tracks I listen to the most. These would most benefit you if you're into jazz, hip-hop, or another genre that works with bass. Chiptunes also benefit. But everything else? Still works, but you'll hear more bass. Not as badly as something like Beats, but it may be a turnoff for some.

Bass:
    There is enough strength in the low bass ends to make it a big focus with these, but not enough to drown the other parts. This could either sell you on it or turn you away from it. Some people have said it is too much for them, but the music I listen to lets this pair shine for what they're made for.

Songs for testing: Spring Yard Zone, Stardust Speedway Present, Staff Roll (SM3DW), Studiopolis Zone Act 1

Mids:

They aren't going to blow you away, but at the same time they aren't muffled. Male singers are audible and clear, as well as other instruments that rest themselves in the middle of this spectrum. They're fine. Not horrid, but not great. Not much to talk about here, they just work.

Songs for testing: Great Days, Unknown from M.E, Let me Clear My Wallet (Mashup), Mirage Saloon Zone Act 1, Tuck 'n Roll (MMX: Maverick Rising), Bloody Stream

Highs:

For a pair that focus on bass a little more, the highs are still well-done. Not real sharp or sparkly, but this probably happens due to the bass focus. The highs could use a bit of polish if a new version of these came out, but they would have to shift the bass focus, so I understand. Female vocals are still easy to listen to, and the highs won't cause fatigue.

Songs for testing: This is Madness! (Sonic CD: Temporal Duality), Jump Up, Super Star!, Fire Fire!!, Jeh Jeh Rocket

Overall, if you're looking for a good budget buy, and you couldn't care if the main focus on the sound is bass, this is for you. However, those of you out for a balanced signature, you'll want to look elsewhere. They may not be perfect, but they're still worth what I paid for them.
  2. shahkhan
    Budget King
    Written by shahkhan
    Published Feb 1, 2017
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Nice Bass, strong built, ergonomic design
    Cons - weird memory wire
    I am using these for more than a month now, and I am quite liking them, using them with my sony xperia Z3 quite easily. Design wise they got a good ergonomic in ear structure, and are easy to use with a nice fit, but "sort of memory wire" in the iems may confuse you a little at start. They are sweat resistant, so can be used easily while running, workout etc. Package comes with a sturdy case for storage and several pairs of eartips including foam tips to choose from. Sound of D2 is way ahead of its price bracket. Very detailed sound leaning towards a darker tone making them bass heavy iems with bit boomy but still punchy lows. Mids are not overly elevated and detail retrial is good. Treble is nicely extended, with no prominent hint of sibilance. You can buy it from "lendmeurears.com"
  3. crabdog
    Alpha & Delta D2 - "I'm Australian! How much more alpha can you get?" Sam Worthington
    Written by crabdog
    Published Sep 26, 2016
    Pros - IPX 4 rated, very comfortable, bundled accessories, price
    Cons - Bass may be a little boomy for some
    20160914_162105_002.jpg

Introduction:

Lend Me UR ears, based in Singapore is an online and physical store that opened in December 2011 with a goal to “bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good customer service in the process” They offer free international shipping and international warranty for all items purchased. They also have their own in-house brand “Alpha & Delta”. Today I’ll be looking at their sport oriented model the Alpha & Delta D2.

Disclaimer:

This item was sent to me free of charge for the purpose of this review. Opinions here are mine based on my experience with the product. I’m not affiliated with the company and am not gaining any financial incentive for writing this review. I’d like to say thanks to Teo from Lend Me UR ears for the opportunity to test the Alpha & Delta D2.

Lend Me UR ears website: http://www.lendmeurears.com/

Specifications:

20160909_224445.jpg       20160909_224503.jpg       20160914_161601.jpg

20160914_161735.jpg

Build quality:

In a word – outstanding. Very solid construction that also includes an IPX 4 rating. The housing is made from a solid plastic with a rubberized coating and are an over-ear design. There are no sharp edges – everything is nicely rounded. On the inside of the housing towards the back is a pinhole port. It’s difficult to tell but I’m fairly certain that the port would be blocked once the earphones are inserted which makes me think that it may not be a bass vent but there to prevent driver flex. If that is the case, then they work very well because I haven’t encountered any driver flex whatsoever.

There are strain reliefs (red on the right and black on the left (clever design) joining the cable to the housing and from those are attached a clear plastic tubing that acts like a memory wire but is more malleable and easy to manage. On the cable (I chose the version without microphone) there is a rubber Y-splitter with very good strain relief. There’s also a cable cinch which is always a nice addition for those that like them. The cable itself is a black rubber that feels quite strong and doesn’t tangle easily. The cable ends in a rubber 45-degree angle plug with strain relief.

20160910_194858.jpg       20160926_220413.jpg

20160926_220440.jpg       20160926_220459.jpg

Fit, comfort and isolation:

The rubberized coating and rounded edges make the D2 feel silky smooth and extremely comfortable in the ear, in fact they’re one of the most comfortable IEMs that I’ve ever used. The plastic tubing I mentioned above does a really good job of holding the D2 in place when you’re moving about and is much more comfortable than having actual memory wire. I can easily wear these for hours on end.

Sound isolation is about average for this type of earphone, blocking a fair amount of external noise and making them suitable for noisy environments or commuting.

These earphones have a V-shaped signature, with emphasis on the mid-bass and laid-back treble. As a result, they’re non-fatiguing (unless you don’t like bass) and well-suited to long listening sessions. They have a warm and inviting sound but still manage to convey detail quite well.

Bass is prominent but well controlled and textured. There is some slight bleeding into the lower mids but for the most part is more than acceptable. Personally I’d like a little less mid-bass (this can be achieved with EQ) just to allow a bit more detail to come through in the midrange and make the sound slightly more neutral.

Male vocals can at times be a little overshadowed by the warmth of the mid-bass but still sound intimate enough without being too distant. These are really well suited for hip-hop and electronic music but handled everything I tried with competence.

Highs have reasonable extension and I don’t find them at all edgy or piercing. There’s enough of it there to give music some energy and brightness without being uncomfortable. A little more emphasis on the highs might have been nice to balance out the weighted low end.

Comparisons:

Alpha & Delta D2 vs Fischer Audio Omega Ace
    Both of these have a similar V-shaped sound signature and form factor. The housing on the D2 is slightly larger but it’s smooth edges and rubberized coating make them more comfortable. The memory wire and cable placement on the Ace also made it difficult for me to get a good fit where the Alpha & Delta mate perfectly with my ears providing a wonderful fit and seal.

Alpha & Delta D2 vs Tennmak Piano
    The D2 has more fullness and warmth in the midrange making the presentation feel smoother than the Piano. As always in this price range though I still find the Piano’s bass superior in texture and control. There’s a way the bass resonates in the Piano’s housing that is just so engaging for my taste. The Tennmak has more detail and has a brighter sound overall. They’re both comfortable to wear but the D2 considerably more so. This one would come down to personal preference and intended use.

20160926_220537.jpg
    20160926_220552.jpg
     ​

Conclusion:

The Alpha & Delta surprised me with its build quality but even more so with its fit and comfort. While the sound is about average for the price range I think it’s well suited to the intended purpose of the D2 (being advertised as a sport model) with enough bass to be energetic but a smooth overall presentation. Weighing up I find the sound to be pretty good but considering they’re IPX4 rated, extremely comfortable, reasonably priced and come with a generous amount of accessories I think they’re easily deserving of four stars. Highly recommended.
      peter123 and B9Scrambler like this.
  4. Brooko
    Alpha & Delta D2m – Warm, Durable, Great Value
    Written by Brooko
    Published Sep 5, 2016
    Pros - Value, fit / comfort, clarity, on cable controls, case, isolation, consumer friendly signature, responds well to EQ
    Cons - A little boomy and bass oriented (some will find this a good thing), shallow nozzle lips
    ADD2m28.jpg
    For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images
    INTRODUCTION

A little earlier this year (March) I received a PM out of the blue from Teo of Lend Me Ur Ears. While I'd heard their company mentioned by quite a few Head-Fiers and featured in other reviews, I'd never had the opportunity to try any of their offerings before. So when Teo asked me to have a listen to their house brand Alpha & Delta D2 I was naturally interested. The pack arrived in late April – the A&D D2 along with the V-Sonic VSD3S and VSD2SI (which I'll review at another stage).

ABOUT LEND ME UR EARS (LMUE)
    Lend Me Ur Ears is a combined retail and on-line store which opened in December 2011 in Singapore. Their web store is located at www.lendmeurears.com and their web store in particular has grown in popularity over the last 5 years and now stocks a large number of audio products from a multitude of well known manufacturers – including the likes of DUNU, Fidue, and FLC. They have an Amazon store-front in both Canada and the US for some products also. One of the services they offer is free shipping and international warranty on all items purchased from them – which I thing is a pretty nice touch. I like their mission statement too – short and simple:
    Lend Me UR ears only have one mission: That is to bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good customer service in the process.”

Alpha & Delta is LMUE's house brand – which kicked of with the A&D AD01 IEM in 2015. This was followed by the A&D D2 in 2016 – and it is this “sports model” I'm reviewing today.

DISCLAIMER
    The Alpha & Delta D2m that I’m reviewing today was provided to me gratis as a review sample. I have made it clear to Teo that I still regard any product they send me as their sole property and available for return any time at their request. Teo told me to keep them though (he wouldn't want them back) – so they are a freely given sample for the purpose of reviewing.

I do not make any financial gain from this review – it is has been written simply as my way of providing feedback both to the Head-Fi community and also LMUE themselves. I have now had the A&D D2m since May 2016. They are currently available from LMUE or their Amazon store-front for approx USD 30.00. Mine is the microphone version.

PREAMBLE - 'ABOUT ME'.
    I'm a 49 year old music lover. I don't say audiophile – I just love my music. Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up. I vary my listening from portables (including the FiiO X5ii, X3ii, X7, LP5 Pro and L3, and iPhone 5S) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > USB > iFi iDSD). I also use a portable set-up at work – usually either X3ii/X7/L3 > HP, or PC > E17K > HP. My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD600 & HD630VB, and AKG K553. Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs, and lately it has mainly been with the Jays q-Jays, Alclair Curve2 and Adel U6. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-Fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock. I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock. I am particularly fond of female vocals. I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences. I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880. I have a specific sensitivity to the 2-3 kHz frequency area (most humans do) but my sensitivity is particularly strong, and I tend to like a relatively flat mid-range with slight elevation in the upper-mids around this area.

I have extensively tested myself (ABX) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent. I do use exclusively red-book 16/44.1 if space is not an issue. All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line). I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables, and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences. I am not a ‘golden eared listener’. I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 49, my hearing is less than perfect (it only extends to around 14 kHz nowadays).
    Over the last few months – I’ve used the A&D D2m from a variety of sources, but for this review, I’ve mainly used it with my iPhone 5S and FiiO X1 or M3. I've used a smart-phone and value oriented DAPs as this is likely to be more in-line with the target audience.

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience. Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

THE REVIEW

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES
    The Alpha & Delta D2m arrived in a 100 x 155 x 53mm retail box. The box has a grey background with red highlights and easy to read white text. On the front of the box is a picture of the Alpha & Delta D2m as well as a highlighted image of the on-cable mic and controls. There is also a couple of blurbs which touch on the isolation, the IPX 4 sweat resistance, and the fact that these are designed for a more active lifestyle (music : sports : play).

ADD2m01.jpg ADD2m02.jpg ADD2m03.jpg
    Front of retail box
    Rear of retail box
    Inner packaging

Opening the outer packaging reveals a clear plastic moulded inner containing the accessories, a zippered clamshell case, and the Alpha & Delta D2m.

Full list of accessories:

1. The Alpha & Delta D2m earphones
    2. Zippered clamshell case
    3. A shirt clip
    4. 3 pairs of hybrid silicone ear tips (S,M,L)
    5. 3 pairs of black silicone ear tips (S,M,L)
    6. 2 pairs of generic crystal foam tips
    7. User manual and warranty

ADD2m04.jpg ADD2m07.jpg ADD2m06.jpg
    Full accessories included
    Clamshell case and Alpha and Delta D2m
    Included tips

Considering the value price of the Alpha & Delta D2m – the accessory package is good value.

The carry case is a hard mesh covered zippered clamshell with an internal pocket – and easily carries spare tips and the D2m. The case is quite sturdy and should offer reasonable protection to the IEMs. It is by no means a flat or small clamshell – but I still consider it pocket-able.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    (From LMUE)

Drivers
    Dynamic 10mm
    Shell
    Black matte soft touch plastic
    Rated Impedance
    14g with tips attached
    Fitting
    Ergonomic, over ear.

FREQUENCY GRAPH
    The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the 711 standard on my budget.

I measured both channels, and driver matching is reasonably good for an IEM at this price level – well done Alpha & Delta.

d2mchannels.png d2mCSD.png
    Frequency plot and channel matching
    CSD chart

What I’m hearing:
    1. Very elevated bass response – both mid and low bass
    2. Comparatively recessed mid-range (relative to bass), with comparatively lean lower-mids, and raised upper-mids – particularly in the presence area from 2-3 kHz. This leaves vocals a little thin in body but very clean and clear.
    3. Clear lower treble which portrays sibilance if it is present in a track, but does not accentuate it. There is a certain amount of crispness to the lower treble (peaks at 5 kHz and 9 kHz).
    4. Overall it is a V shaped signature with warm bottom end, and somewhat thin but crisp and clean top end.
    5. I included the CSD also, and you will see evidence of some bass bleed through into the mid-range frequencies.

BUILD QUALITY / DESIGN
    The Alpha & Delta D2m are an over-ear design. The body is a rounded oblong shape, measuring approx 16-17mm across, 18mm from the top of the cable exit to bottom, and approx 10mm in width (not counting the nozzle). The nozzle extends approx 8mm, angled forward from the main body. It is just over 5mm in width and encased in a very fine mesh and its open end. The nozzle has a slight lip (I would have preferred something a little more pronounced – we'll discuss this when we look at tip options).

ADD2m08.jpg ADD2m09.jpg ADD2m13.jpg
    Inner face showing porting
    Good forward angle on the nozzles
    Nozzle mesh

The casing is two piece, but the two pieces are joined really nicely (practically seamless). The body is nicely rounded with no sharp edges, and is comfortable worn. On the outside main body face on both earpieces is the Alpha & Delta logo in red – which looks pretty classy printed on the matt black. The surface of the IEM is a “soft feel” plastic which is IPX4 water resistant, so it is ideal for a fitness or sports oriented IEM. There is a single bass port or vent on the internal side.

The cable exit has excellent strain relief. And is coloured red on the right hand side for easy identification (although ergonomically it can only be warn one way anyway). Its a nice touch though. There is a preformed 85mm loop of flexible memory wire at each exit – designed to drape over your ears instead of you actually forming it for perfect fit. Personally I find this great for an exercise IEM as it just seems to sit naturally and you can have them fitting well in seconds. The cable is 1.2m long and has an on-cable control and mic unit where the Y-split would normally be (there is a cinch just above this unit which is easy to use and holds quite well).

ADD2m10.jpg ADD2m11.jpg ADD2m12.jpg
    Angled from the rear
    Rear view - you can see the fit will be quite shallow
    External side view

The on cable controls work perfectly with my iPhone 5S, allowing volume changing, and also play/pause (one push), next track (two pushes), and previous track (three pushes). A single long push also activates Siri which is really handy. The volume control is a sliding resistor set-up, so will work with any source. It's only real issue is that there is a lot of play on the volume control – but a very small change can have quite an effect on the overall volume. All the same it is nice to have an all-in-one-unit. I also tried the D2m with my wife's Galaxy, and everything worked perfectly (including volume controls) except for the previous track (3 pushes) – it simply advanced the track and either paused or played (depending what was active). With the FiiO M3 the track buttons also worked perfectly, but not with the FiiO X1 (must be a FiiO issue). I also tested the Alpha & Delta D2m with taking a call (with my wife), and it was reasonably clear at both ends. There was the usual hollow sound on my end due to the isolation and bone conduction. All up I'd rate the mic quality at about 3/5.

ADD2m14.jpg ADD2m15.jpg ADD2m17.jpg
    Control unit with mic and volume control
    Jack is very smartphone friendly
    Even with a case

The cable itself is very slightly micro-phonic, but this can be eliminated by tucking under clothing, or using the cinch. The cable is copper encased with a soft sheathing, and despite its thinness between control unit and earpiece, still appears to be relatively strong/sturdy. The jack is a 4 pole 3.5mm gold plated straight entry with very good strain relief, and a svelte / skinny profile. It easily fit my iPhone 5S plus case, and should fit most sources with cases intact.

All in all – very good build and design for the price point.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION
    I have one ear canal slightly different to the other one (my right is very slightly smaller) - so I tend to find that usually single silicon flanges don't fit overly well. I initially tried the large silicone tips included, and it was impossible for me to get a seal because of the shallow fit. I also tried a large pair of crystal foams, and had a good seal – but an issue with the tips not holding on to the nozzles (coming off in my ear). Eventually I used large Shure Olives and they gave me an extremely good seal, and great comfort. For the record, the D2m nozzle takes a Comply T200 stem type – and unfortunately I had no large fit to try.

ADD2m23.jpg ADD2m22.jpg ADD2m21.jpg
    Ostry tips fit well, Spiral Dots slipped off.
    Spin-Fits & Sony Isolation/Trinity Kombi tips both fit well
    Crystal foam tips slipped off, but large Shure Olives fit perfectly for me.

I tried my usual selection of tips to ascertain what would fit. Spin-fits, Ostry tuning tips, Sony Isolation / Trinity Kombi, and any silicone with a small bore fit pretty well (to the nozzle). Crystal foams, Spiral Dots, and anything with a slightly wider bore would come off because of the shallow lip. Fortunately for me the Shure Olives were perfect, but for future LMUE should look into slightly extending the lip to anchor tips better. I'd also suggest a longer nozzle (even 2-3mm) which would make the fit a little less shallow.

ADD2m16.jpg ADD2m29.jpg ADD2m30.jpg
    The lip on the nozzles just needs to be slightly wider / more prominent
    Fit is wonderful and very comfortable
    You can easily lie down with them intact

Isolation is better than average with a good seal (probably because of the internal port), and comfort for me is truly excellent. The Alpha & Delta D2m are nicely rounded internally, and there are no sharp protruding edges. They sit inside my outer ear, so it would be possible to lie on my side with them, and I would have no issues sleeping with them intact.

SOUND QUALITY
    The following is what I hear from the Alpha & Delta D2m. YMMV – and probably will – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline). Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done my iPhone 5S and FiiO X1.
    ADD2m18.jpg
    Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

Thoughts on General Signature
    As I outlined above in my comments in the frequency section, the Alpha & Delta D2m has quite a V or U shaped signature with the main frequency boosts in the mid and sub-bass, and also in the upper mid-range and lower treble (2-3 kHz, 5-6 kHz and 9 kHz). As such it tends to sound (for me anyway) a little thin through the mid-range with a lot of bottom end warmth, but quite clean and clear vocal presence. The comparative dip in the vocal range does give a sense of space or distance, and tendency toward sibilance will depend on your own individual sensitivity.

Overall Detail / Clarity
    Tracks used: Gaucho, Sultans of Swing, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
    1. Overall detail retrieval is quite good, but higher level lower treble detail tends to be masked by the bass to a certain extent.
    2. Bass is dominant, but vocals are clean and clear, as is anything prominent in the mid-range (including horn, sax, guitar etc)
    3. Cymbals are there, but subdued, and the normal decay tails off very quickly and is easily over-powered by the mid and sub-bass (bass guitar very dominant on Sultans)
    4. Cymbals which are usually extremely prominent on PJ's “Elderly Woman ….” definitely sit back a little and tend to be a little flat. Still sounds OK – but veiled compared to how this track sounds with an IEM with more frequency balance.

Sound-stage & Imaging (+ Sibilance)
    Tracks used: Tundra, Dante’s Prayer, Let it Rain
    1. There is a slight sense of distance – but it is still very much in head, and I would call it an intimate experience rather than expansive
    2. Sense of stage width and depth is narrow and on the small side.
    3. Separation and general imaging is pretty good – this is the clarity in the upper mid-range and lower treble at work.
    4. The applause section at the end of “Dante's Prayer” is actually pretty good, and I didn't expect this. It isn't hugely immersive, but the smallish stage projected is quite realistic.
    5. Let it Rain is nicely holographic. The warmth of the bass effectively masks the sibilance which I know is in the track. A nice listening experience though.

Bass Quality and Quantity
    Tracks used: Bleeding Muddy Water, Royals
    1. Marks vocals sounded a little distant, but there was good overall bass impact. I wasn't overly impressed with texture in the vocal area.
    2. There is some bass bleed through the mid-range area
    3. Bass had very big impact with “Royals” (visceral) and sub-bass was prominent and dominant. It was also a little on the slow side. Ella's vocals were pretty clear though – so the D2m is cleaner and clearer with female vocals
    4. For those looking simply for impact (quantity), I think the D2m will suit you well.

Female Vocals
    Tracks used : Aventine, Strong, For You, Human, The Bad In Each Other, Howl, Safer, Light as a Feather, Mile on the Moon.
    1. Really nice tuning for female vocals – sweet and a euphonic
    2. No hollowness or stridency – even with difficult tracks like “Aventine”
    3. Vocals are very clear.
    4. Good contrast with high impact tracks (Feist, FatM) – and lovers of female rock with good beat will be impressed
    5. Overall quite impressed with female vocals – definitely a strong-point (Norah was fantastic)

Male Vocals
    Track used: Away From the Sun, Art for Art’s Sake, Broken Wings, Diary of Jane, Hotel California, Keith Don’t Go, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.
    1. Compared to my female vocalists, I often had to turn the volume up with my favourite male vocalists - just because sometimes the vocals were too distant initially.
    2. Older rock tracks were very good – the upper mid-range lift really helped with artists like 10CC, and the V shaped nature of the D2m made for a fun listen.
    3. Bass is dynamic, and reasonably hard hitting – which should be great for the gym with rock tracks. Acoustic tracks (or anything with less bass) shone quite well – but that is my preference for more balance kicking in. “Hotel California” (live version) was really good.
    4. I covered PJ earlier. It actually wasn't a bad rendition of the track, but Vedders vocals were just a little thin and lacking in texture. By no means bad – but I'm finding the bass a little one-dimensional.

Other Genres
    1. Alt Rock was very artist dependent – good with Porcupine Tree and Wilsons higher pitched vocals, and well recorded tracks. Pink Floyd could be a little bass guitar dominant and wouldn't be my first choice.
    2. Jazz / Blues – the D2m were actually pretty good. The fundamental detail was there – but just missing some of the high level (slow decay of cymbals etc). Enjoyable though, and the sax on the Portico Quartet tracks was very enjoyable.
    3. Rap / Hip-hop / Electronic – again lovers of bass quantity with these genres will find the D2m really good. It is definitely a fun listen with the V shaped signature giving both high impact, and also reasonable clarity. Trance was a heck of a lot of fun with the D2m – especially anything with female supporting vocals.
    4. Pop – again the V shape will help a lot of modern Pop music. Adele was pretty good, very clean and clear. Coldplay was also a lot of fun – and the contrast between the bass line and vocals (whilst not my taste) will appeal to many.
    5. Indie – generally pretty good. Better with higher pitched vocals, and this applied to both Band of Horses and Wildlight.
    6. Classical – a mixed bag here. Solo cello and solo piano were generally very good. Anything requiring more a more expansive presentation suffered a little.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
    ADD2m20.jpg
    The Alpha & Delta D2m is very easily powered straight out of virtually any portable device, and I didn’t experience any issues with any of the DAPs I tested (iPhone 5S, or any of the FiiOs). With the iPhone I was between 30 and 40% on most tracks, and with the X1 around 25-30/120. I did test the X1 with both the FiiO E17K and E11K (A3), and I couldn’t say it added anything sonically once volume matched.

EQUALISATION
    To be fair, anyone buying the Alpha & Delta D2m will be doing so for a specific signature, so this section may be a little superfluous – but it is part of my testing regime, so I make sure I cover it. For this test I used the X3ii + E17K, and just used the tone controls. All I wanted to do here was just tone the bass down a little and see how the mid-range reacted. So using the E17K tone controls I gave the bass -6 dB. The result was pretty good. The bass still had a lot of impact – but the mid-range was a lot cleaner and clearer. I went back to PJ and Vedder again, and the transformation was amazing. Vedder's voice now had texture, and cymbals suddenly had the decay that was missing (confirming to me it was simply a matter of the bass masking the detail which was actually all there in the first place). With EQ – the D2m is a gorgeous sounding IEM.

COMPARISONS
    I wasn't too sure what to compare with for this section, but given that the overall signature is reasonably close to that of the Alpha & Delta Jive, and also it is being marketed as a “Sports Earphone” I thought the three candidates would be the Jive, XF200 and T-Peos Raisel.

Please note that these are all very subjective, so please take my personal bias into account (see the “about me” section). When testing, I volume matched first at 1 kHz using an SPL meter and test tones. The Alpha & Delta D2m was unequalised.

Alpha & Delta D2m $30.00 vs Brainwavz Jive $25.00
    ADD2m25.jpg
    d2mvsjive.png
    Alpha & Delta D2m vs Brainwavz Jive
    Frequency response comparison ​

Both have a very good build with little between the aluminium shell of the Jive and soft finish of the D2m. Fit and comfort go marginally to the D2m – both are really comfortable to wear. Sonically both have similar signatures with the Jive being slightly more V shaped, and also a little on the colder, leaner side. Comparatively the D2m are a little fuller and leaner. Despite the price difference (which is pretty small) the overall package of the D2m – especially the fit – would tend to have me recommending it slightly ahead.

Alpha & Delta D2m $30.00 vs Brainwavz XF-200 $25.00
    ADD2m26.jpg d2mvsxf200.png
    Alpha & Delta D2m vs Brainwavz XF-200
    Frequency response comparison

These two IEMs have the same target market and both are advertised as a sports earphone. Build quality is similar overall – with the XF-200 utilising a clear hard plastic housing while the D2 has the matt softer rubbery finish. Both have an ergonomic fit with looped cable guides, but to me the D2m is more comfortable overall, and is easier to get a great fit. Both have similar bass responses relative to their lower mid-ranges, and the main difference is in the upper mid-range. The XF-200 is once again more V-shaped and the D2m as a result sounds slightly more balanced (still with a very bassy tilt though). This is a tough one to call – but I prefer the fit and finish of the D2m a little more.

Alpha & Delta D2m $30.00 vs T Peos Rasiel $40.00
    ADD2m24.jpg d2mvsrasiel.png
    Alpha & Delta D2m vs T Peos Rasiel
    Frequency response comparison

Again a lot of similarity in the signatures. The Rasiel has the better overall build (durability) and cable, while the Alpha & Delta D2m has the in-line controls and once again the more comfortable fit. Bass is somewhat similar between the two with the Raisel having comparatively more bass impact, and more resultant bleed. Where the Alpha & Delta D2m is reasonably clean and clear, the Rasiel tends to be a bit more comparatively subdued in the lower treble. This gives a smoother presentation, but also accentuates the bass a lot more, and this is the downfall of the Raisel – there is simply way too much warmth. The D2m is cheaper, has a better fit, and a more appealing signature – so its no real contest for me.

ALPHA & DELTA D2M – VALUE & SUMMARY

The Alpha & Delta D2m delivers quite an attractive overall package for a comparatively low cost. The build is very good with attention to detail where it matters. The two things I would change is a slightly better lip on the nozzle and also a slightly longer nozzle (to allow more options for workable tip selections). Comfort is phenomenal (I can forget I am wearing them).

Sonically the Alpha & Delta D2m is quite V shaped with a bassy and warm bottom end, yet overall lean and clear mid-range. It is very good with female vocals, but a little less so with male vocalists for my tastes. Bass quantity is good, but the bass itself can be a little one-dimensional (too much quantity can mask texture), and there is some bleed in the lower mid-range, and also the lower treble.

The D2m does respond incredibly well to EQ though, and a little reduction in the overall bass really does change the signature if you are looking for some better balance.

For the extremely low price of USD 30.00, the Alpha & Delta D2m is quite a good package and I can see where it could very well attract a following among exercise enthusiasts with its exciting/fun V shape, comfortable fit and on-cable controls.

The problem I have with it is for my own particular tastes there is simply a little too much bass. None-the-less it is a good earphone, and for the package it offers, I'd have no problems giving 3.75-4.0 stars or around 75-80%. If you are prepared to EQ though, it is very easy to transform the D2m into a 5 star IEM for the price, and that is spectacular value in my books.

My thanks once again to Teo – this is a pretty amazing IEM for the cost. I'd love to see what you could do with a slightly bigger budget in mind!
    ADD2m19.jpg
      cpauya, leobigfield, puppyfi and 3 others like this.
    1. Podster
      Nice review Paul, mine were absconded by my 15 year old, seems that little extra boom got his attention:wink:
      Podster, Sep 7, 2016
  5. suman134
    Your Gym and Jogging companion.
    Written by suman134
    Published Aug 3, 2016
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Sounds nice, Build quality is really good, Sweat resistant, Plenty of accessories.
    Cons - Memory wire could have been better.
    Intro:-

IMG_20160502_152116_HDR.jpg

Thanks to the popularity of earphones and audio gears many companies linked to this business are jumping right into this business with their own earphone line ups. Lend me ur ears is one of the and largest online vendor and last year they decided to join the manufacturers with a little help from china. last year they came up with ad-01 which was a huge success with its bassy signature and was applauded for its all metal build and detachable cables, it was approved as a success by both users and reviewers.
     This time around LMUE has come up with a more budget friendly option A&D D2 with memory wire for easy and secure over the eat fitment, its sweat resistant too with IP X4 certification. It's meant for gym goers, sports activities and ideal for joggers. D2 has an microphone variant too, named D2m, currently retailing for around $30 for the MIc version and $26 for the non MIC version. When on sale, prices drop to under $25 and $20 respectively.
     These days the market is flooded with earphones in this price bracket and most of them are really good for their price. Earphones like VSD1/2/s, soundmagic E10, Piston 2/3/hybrids, Brainwavz Jive are up in the charts in this price bracket.
     What I have here is the MICed version, D2m. This earphone has only one color option, black where as other brands have earphones with plenty of color options like VSD3 and E50/E10. Still.. Black looks good with red accent to it, all in all it looks fine if not funky or anything.
    Let's find out if AD D2 is good enough or not.

P.s.: I would like to thank  And Alpha & delta for this review unit.

Accessories and ergonomics:-

D2m comes with plenty of accessories and a nice and slightly larger than average carry case. In the box you will get a set of black rubber and red core rubber tips in S/M/L sizes, two pairs of foam tips and a shirt/cable clip too.
     One should not ask for more.
     Ergonomically earpieces are good but my set has a badly twisted right side memory wire which at times makes the earphone lose seal or even fall out when putting it in. Its a unit specific problem but it can be on a few more pieces too which is a negative thing for sure.
     Once you get proper seal (foam tips fall less often and have better seal too) you will find this earphone comfortable enough. It doesn't fall out easily but it eventually falls after a sometime and I keep adjusting. It ain't good but after few adjustments everything settles down and one can sit down and enjoy the music.
     The memory wire could have been softer but it's okay. There are plenty of stress relievers at both ends. One doesn't need to worry about that. This cable is soft and supple and it looks strong too, 90° plug is not my favorite type but its good. There is a cable/chin slider too.
    No need to look out for L/R markings as they won't fit in the wrong ear.

There is no Microphonics to be precise.
     Isolation is good with both rubber or foam tips.

Remote & MIC:-
     I do have the MIC version with. The D2m has an universal remote and microphone unit and a single button controller. This remote cannot control the device's volume but the inline volume, it operates independently. Remote doesn't exactly need stress relievers, its takes the place of the cable splitter too.
     Single button remote does all that most of the single button remotes do. Single tap can take or end calls, play or pause music. Double tap will reject calls and forward songs, and while playing music three click will take you to the last song.
     This remote works with all of the android devices, and the remote will work with anything. Sound quality through the MIC is good.

Pictures:-

Not the best, good enough to show you what you need to see.

IMG_20160502_152135_HDR.jpg   IMG_20160502_152146_HDR_1462182887969.jpg

IMG_20160502_152219_HDR.jpg   IMG_20160502_152311_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160502_152403_HDR_1462182909883.jpg   IMG_20160502_152703_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160502_152721_HDR.jpg   IMG_20160502_152816_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160803_002917.jpg   IMG_20160803_002928.jpg

IMG_20160803_003015_HDR.jpg   IMG_20160803_003056_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160803_003142_HDR.jpg

Sound Quality:-
     Now now.. D2 is kind of V shaped. It has a dominant bass and slightly elevated highs with softer cushier still clear mid range.
     It has a warm and netralish signature.
     Before I start I would like to make it clear that I burned it for more than 100hrs and I am using foam tips for this review. I am not a huge fan of EQ but I would like to let you know that D2 responds well to EQs.
     Here are some the songs I used for this review.
     Raury:- Wildfire,

Jamie Lawson :-  wasn’t expecting that,

Imagine dragons :- Warriors,

Fetty wap :- Trap queen,

Bastille :- Things we lost in the fire,

Selena Gomez - Kill Em With Kindness.

Lows:-

AD2 has a really nice bass, its decay is decent, better than XF-200, E10, Piston 2. Don't take it for anything less though, even when a line like "it's as bassy as things can get, period" doesn't exactly apply here, it's up there with some of the bassier earphones I have experienced. It has nice rumble with good amount of air. Has a fuller and meaty body like Ath-im-70 that don't stress much even when used for longer period of time. It does have better body than VSD2 and piston 3, goes deeper than piston 3. Sub bass reaches deeper than many earphones in this price, there is a small upper bass elevation but it's not bothersome at all.
     Goes boom whenever it's given an opportunity still keeping composure and control and doesn’t bleed.
     There is plenty of details for an $30 earphone. Picks up most of the details save for some micro details.
     It doesn't exactly have many short comings when it comes to being bassy and keeping bass details, which I found some more expensive earphones like XBA-H1 and brainwavz S0 are unable to demonstrate.
     To be sum things up. Its bass is bassy and still detailed enough to keep me seated.
    Mid range:-
     As I said D2 is V shaped. It doesn’t attract much attention, lacks the forwardness of the bass and sharpness of the highs. Still its more than detailed for its price range. It has more details than S0, XF-200 or even E10 and has better body when compared to VSD1. D2 has some of the best clarity and details I have seen in this price range, it's not sharp like the Delta or the jive but it kills with kindness (Selena style). Its meaty, it has some of the ticker notes presentation I have seen in this price range.
     I have to admit that Male vocals sound nice, they exhibit the proper amount of body but slightly lacks the depth with D2, It's just that D2 doesn’t bite like a Jive or she9850 or A151 2nd gen. Notes are a bit thicker than they should be. Still if you believe me I think it has nice clarity for under $30, and for female vocals things are good too, even when they don’t sound as sharp as they should, they sound better than with other earphones like E10 and Piston 2.
     Instruments too sound nice, they have enough details and clarity even when they lack sharpness, its more than enough. Even when it doesn’t pick micro details like A151p 2nd gen and lacks accuracy still one will not miss much. It does quite a few things right. Lacks the upper mid tingling but one won't miss it much.
     Not exactly vivid but not lacking much.

D2 has a nicely rounded sound stage with good width and height but lacks some depth.

It's not the best but it really nice, puts things in their places nicely and keeps the show going.

Highs:-

As I mentioned earlier Highs are not as flat or lacking depth or sharpness like mids. You won't find these highs hounding at you. Highs here have nice amount of extension and presence. It's not overly energetic nor lacking the required amount of spark. Unlike earphones like S0 or Jive, D2 has a nicely balanced top end with enough details. Has nice clarity and transparency. D2's top end has nice presence and sharpness without sounding tiring or bothering, one should forget about sibilance or harshness. Just like other part of the spectrum, highs do lack some depth. It could have had better bite.
     Have enough details and texture to keep me seated. Thanks to D2's bigger than average Stage, layering, separation and instrument placement is good, clarity is not awesome but more than one should ask for.
     This Top end is good when compared to other earphones in this price.

Conclusion:-

What impresses me the most is its ability to keep up with any kind of music without losing much of the genre's essence let it be with pop or RnB, which D2 is good at or let it be electronic or house music, it doesn’t fall behind.

Another thing I loved about it is that its not grainy by any means, earphones like Jive or even A151 2nd gen are slightly grainier at some places, some have some harshness, some have an overly V shaped signature, and some have a part of the spectrum lagging behind, D2 doesn’t have any short comings like this. Mostly most of the cheaper earphones exhibit some kind of disability to exhibit cleaner presentation which D2 doesn't.

It's not an earphone for an audiophile for sure. But it's not an earphone an audiophile will overturn for casual listening. It has its beautiful ability to sound sweet and will appeal to anyone who is looking for a Fun sounding earphone or someone looking for a GYM or jogging companion.

D2 is a nicely built, sweet sounding, sweat resistant, sports oriented earphone for active people who like to enjoy their music while doing some physical labor or just working out.

If you are out in the market for a nice sounding sweat resistant earphone for gym or jogging purposes, D2 should top your list for under $40.

Thank for reading.

Have a nice day, Cheers!!
      cpauya likes this.
  6. bhazard
    A great choice for athletes
    Written by bhazard
    Published Jul 21, 2016
    Pros - Very comfortable, sturdy, form fitting, good sound
    Cons - Lacks a bit of detail. Boomy bass without foam tips
    Introduction

Lendmeurears of Singapore has been a quality, trusted store that has served audio lovers all over the world for a long time. They recently introduced their own in-house brand Alpha & Delta, and today we are going to focus on their sport model, the D2.

I’d like to thank Lendmeurears and Teo for the opportunity to review the D2.

About me

I’m a price/performance value shopper in everything I purchase. I spend an extensive amount of time researching purchases and always look for a good value.

I have also spent many years as an A/V and music enthusiast. I have owned some high end audio equipment, from amps, speakers, subs, to just about anything audio related you can think of. I eventually moved on into building my own DIY custom speakers, as I felt the value and performance of most commercial speakers were lacking. I found out through this process that you could create high end setups from equipment costing thousands less than most branded commercial setups.

Since I cannot play music at 100+ decibels all day and night in an apartment complex, I started looking for similar values in the Headphone/Earphone/IEM world. In a Beats dominated setting, I was very disappointed.

I then found out about some excellent headphones/IEMs at great prices being made by Asian companies that are not known of here in the US. It renewed my interest in headphones and became the basis of the Asian audio thread.

My love of quality audio continues to this day, and I enjoy sharing my opinion of the gear I listen to. I have been guided toward purchasing some life altering, fantastic gear from great reviewers, and I feel if I can guide someone in the same way in which they truly appreciate what they have found, I’ve done what I wanted to accomplish.

REVIEW
    IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg

Specifications

Accessories

2. 3 pairs of silicon tips

IMAG0053.jpg

Housing/Fit/Isolation

The housing is a simple, black matte plastic casing with a rubber type, sweat resistant coating. It is very lightweight, yet rugged, which is great for active purposes. The strain relief of the right earpiece is red, making it easy to figure out which side is which with a quick glance (a small but great feature)

The D2 fits almost perfectly in my ear. The sport type elliptical shape of the housing kept the D2 in my ears without issue during my workouts, no matter how hard I tried to get them to pop out.

The cable is pretty standard with a chin slider included. Despite not looking much different than most plastic coated cables that get tangled easily, these were pretty easy to untangle (another small but great feature for me on the go)
    IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

Sound Review
    Testing Gear (in order of quality)

LH Labs Pulse X Infinity 2.0
    LH Labs Geek Out V2+ Infinity (Balanced)
    HTC 10
    Asrock Fatality amped onboard DAC/amp

Music used for testing
    New Gojira, Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Deftones, Katatonia, Slayer, Volbeat, Clutch, AC/DC, Van Halen, Hendrix, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Mudcrutch, Zac Brown Band, and hundreds more bands
    Random EDM
    New Drake, 2 Chainz, Havoc & Alchemist, Straight Outta Compton OST, Big K.R.I.T. and many more
    Live concerts: Pearl Jam 4/16/16 soundboard

Amplifier Needed?

Sound Signature

Consumer oriented V shape signature. Fairly common in the $30 price range

Bass

The bass is nicely boosted with a good amount of energy, but there is a bit of bleed into the midrange with most silicone tips. It can become overpowering at times and hurts detail.

One thing I noticed is that foam tips removed a lot of this bass bleed. Normally foam tips enhance bass and decrease treble for me, but on the D2 it happens to work opposite and it works wonders. The tips can make the fit slightly less comfortable however, as it doesn’t let the housing sit as nicely in.

Midrange

The mids are recessed a bit to make way for the enhanced bass. This is normally found and expected in this price range, as it is more attractive to provide good bass levels at the expense of some midrange clarity. The vocals manage to avoid most of the recession and are very much present in the mix. I’ve heard $50 sets that were much worse in recession than the D2, so it does well in this regard.

D2.jpg

You can see the peaks in the 3k and 6k region which seem to be intentionally tuned to bring out those vocal, guitar, and cymbal areas.

Treble

Treble is enhanced with a bit of roll off towards the end. Much like with the vocals, there are several upper peaks to provide some airiness to what would be an otherwise flat sound. While present, some of the treble detail is lacking a bit.

Soundstage, Imaging, Resolution

Resolution and detail are the weakest parts of the D2. While there is a good amount of detail and instrument separation for its price range, the D2 simply gets outclassed by $50 and up sets that aren’t meant for sport use. For a sport earphone, they are average to slightly above average in this regard, and the soundstage is a little wider than expected (possibly from the upper peaks).

Comparison

D2 vs Piston 3 = The D2 has a more balanced, less dark sound with better detail and soundstage characteristics. The D2 is better overall, but also technically almost twice the price.

Conclusion

For those looking for a good sounding, inexpensive earphone that will stay in your ears during the toughest of runs and workouts, the D2 is an easy recommendation.

The D2 can be found for purchase from LMUE here:

1. bhazard
      Forgot to add the FR graph. Will upload later
      bhazard, Jul 22, 2016
    2. DaddyMojo
      Nice comments, good use of pictures. I have purchased from Lendmeurears before and service was good, not speedy, but good.  I liked your review and will give them a good look.
      DaddyMojo, Jul 25, 2016
  7. TwinACStacks
    A Sports Earphone even an Audiophile will like.
    Written by TwinACStacks
    Published Jul 2, 2016
    Pros - Very nice overall sound signature, Water resistant, Price
    Cons - May be a tad Bass-Heavy for some listeners, could use a Tad more control in lower frequencies

Preamble:
    I was contacted by LendmeUrEars on May 26th and invited to give my impressions of their new Alpha/Delta IEMs, designed to be inexpensive sport earphones that are water/ sweat resistant and perform quite a bit above their price level.

They most certainly do.

Disclaimer: I am a hobbyist only. I am NOT affiliated with any sellers or manufacturers for items that may be used in my review, nor at this time am I provided with any samples for endorsement or reviews. I purchase all of my own gear. I do However, post links to the particular individual seller from whom I have made my purchase of the item under review. These reviews reflect my personal opinions of the performance and general information about the item, and should not be used as a basis for any purchase. As I am sensitive to higher frequencies, your impressions may also vary from my own. I will try to offer comparisons as long as I have something similar both in price and construction to compare. If however at any time I am provided a sample for review, I will disclose this fact immediately on an additional disclaimer.
    Please also note an absence of graphs unless they are included in the Seller's links. Although they are a great tool for determining what kind of EQ or other characteristics a particular IEM or Headphone should have,  alas all too often my own experience upon listening with my ears, tells me something different. Sometimes radically so. I may be correct I might not be, sound quality is VERY subjective at best. Therefore I will leave the scientific data, analysis and comparisons to more qualified and experienced reviewers.

ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMER: I have received these earphones as a sample in return for my un-biased review from LendmeUrears.  As the review is now concluded I have given them to a co-worker whose IEMs had met an untimely death. He very much likes them.

Here They are:

Nice selection of tips. I preferred the Red-Cores:
    AlphaandDeltaD2006.jpg

The Alpha/Delta D2M in all it's glory:
    AlphaandDeltaD2007.jpg

Molded Plug compatible with mobile devices:
    AlphaandDeltaD2008.jpg

Combo "Y" Splitter, Mic, and Chin Slider:
    AlphaandDeltaD2009.jpg

Specifications:  They are available using the link to the seller(s) posted at the top of the page

Construction:

Black Matte Plastic body, Kidney bean shaped? ear molded, over Ear design. A nice touch here is the actual Right standoff for the Cable is red for easy L/R identification. Inside is a 10 mm Dynamic Driver. From the Standoffs down are what appear to be Teflon coated cables that merge into a combination “Y” splitter Microphone with chin slider, that continues down a main cable that is slightly larger diameter to a Plastic “L” shaped plug with the same articulation as the Body Standoffs. The Mic/”Y” is constructed out of the same Black Matte Plastic as the Body. The whole presentation is one of utility, economy and efficiency. On the Standoff end of the cables are a thin clear plastic Tube designed to make the upper cable behave like memory wire. The nozzle length like many of these over-ears could be a tad longer for deeper insertion/ seal.

Source Details:

For this particular review I used my Rockboxed  XDuoo X3 (very much improved sound quality) both amped and un-amped through a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc portable amp and a Schiit Audio Vali headphone amp. Line out from source to both amps. My Files are all at Least 320kbps to 96khz high resolution files. I used this source in all comparisons. Note that there were no appreciable differences noted in sound quality using the 2 different amp sources, However,  In THIS case there was a slight additional warmth added to the overall SQ with the Tube driven Vali amp.

Source Material:

The following is a list of songs that I used in this review. Some I use all the time, some less frequently. They all contain some type of frequency, Detail, or EQ that make them suitable for reference.

Christina Novelli -- Concrete Angel (Long Version)
    Robert Plant --- Far Post
    Molly Bancroft – Silence (Short version)
    Ai Takekawa – Beyond the Moon (Short Version)
    Vivaldi – Four Seasons (Spring and Summer)
    John Bryson --- Let the Pipes play (full pipe organ album 1st Cut)
    SOAK --- Immigrant Song

General Sound Quality:

The Alpha/Delta have obviously been designed to appeal to mass consumers. They offer a smooth, bassy tuning with relatively neutral mids and sparkly Treble that lacks annoying peaks or sibilance or any harshness. I would say they have a fair depth and width to the soundstage with a surprising amount of Air. Nice placement, space and decent resolution. I think quite good for an IEM at this pricepoint. The bassy presentation also helps mask external noise in outdoor use. I can’t comment on the Microphone as I don’t use this option with a portable DAP.

Bass:

The bass is a little loose, but just slightly, however, it is fast and doesn’t mud up like many consumer EQ’d IEMs tend to do. There is a Mid Bass extension/emphasis that tends to cloud the lower mids on some Bass-heavy source material.  Good sub extension and with burn in gained some additional control. Although there is an emphasis on lows,  I like it. Quite a bit in fact.

Mids:

The Mids aren’t the most forward but they are quite well presented and present honest vocals with good detail. They are smooth and quite full and warm but sometimes can be masked by the mid/ upper bass on some music tracks.

Treble:

Highs are nicely extended but stop with a nice rolloff  before they can become harsh, peaky piercing or sibilant. They have a nice sense of Air and detail. Really quite nice for the price and maintain just enough sparkle to maintain a real nice overall presentation.

Comparisons:

I really don’t have anything single driver/ over-ear configuration in this price range other than the less expensive KZ ATE   Needless to say the Alpha/Deltas significantly outclass and outperform them in a myriad of ways.

Conclusion:

At around $30.00 USD I think the Alpha/Delta have a real good sports IEM going on here. Nice all around performer. With Good build Quality that won’t break the Bank if you should damage them in a sports activity. They are quite good for just listening and will make a great IEM for beginners or even seasoned “Audiphiles”.
    In fact I would be more worried about the Damage from that last Rep of those Skullcrushers at the Gym, than hurting these Gems….

Thanx Teo for the opportunity to review these. Nice Product
      cpauya, crabdog and B9Scrambler like this.
  8. Hisoundfi
    Great on the go. The Alpha & Delta D2 sports in-ear monitor
    Written by Hisoundfi
    Published Jun 28, 2016
    Pros - Comfortable fit, Useful volume slider, Fun sound signature, Low price, Good isolation
    Cons - Consumer oriented sound will have too much bass for some poeple, Very similar to many budget monitors already made
    20160628_203204.jpg
    At the time this review was written, the Alpha & Delta  was listed for sale on Lendmeurears website. Here is a link to their listing of the product:

Introduction
    Lendmeurears introduced its line of in ear monitors last fall, releasing the dual driver Alpha & Delta AD01. It was a bass forward earphone that received  a fairly high approval from reviewers. Being in the industry already, they had insight in terms of what their target market was. Their experience combined with what they’ve learned has led to the release of their next model, the D2.

Lendmeurears has designed a new sports earphone. They have an ergonomic fit, are sweat resistant and designed to be used with a smartphone or DAP. Let's take a look at what they’ve accomplished and go over them with a comprehensive review.

Disclaimer
    I was given an opportunity to review the D2 in exchange for my honest opinion and review. I am in no way affiliated with Lendmeurears, aside from agreeing to give an unbiased review to inform my friends on Head-Fi what the D2 are all about. I would like to take this time to personally thank Teo for the opportunity.

My Background
    I AM NOT a numbers and graphs audiophile or sound engineer. Personal audio enthusiast? Absolutely! Headphone junkie? Possibly…

There’s something about quality DAPs, DACs, Amplifiers and Earphones that intrigues me. I want to hear any earphone that looks promising, in hopes that I can share my impressions with  enthusiasts and help them find the audio product they’re looking for. My Head-Fi profile has a list of audio products ranked from favorite to least favorite. For me, this hobby is more about getting great price to performance ratio from a product, and having a variety of different gear to mix and match. With personal audio gear, we tend to pay a lot of money for minor upgrades. One thing I’ve learned over the last few years is that just because a headphone has a higher price tag, it doesn’t mean that it has superior build and sound quality.

I’m always looking for great audio at a great price. I’m after headphones and IEMs that give me the “WOW” factor. I can appreciate different builds and sound signatures as long as they are solidly built, with ergonomics and sound that is pleasing to my ears. It’s my pleasure to share my experiences with audio products and make recommendations based on gear I have owned and used.

REVIEW
    The A&D D2 comes in a gray box with red lettering. Unfortunately, DHL managed to crush my box, leaving me with no packaging to photograph. Please check another review if you would like to see the packaging. Sorry everyone...

Specifications and Accessories
    20160628_202414.jpg

Specification:

Accessories:
    2. 3 pairs of   silicon tips

Housings
    20160628_202916.jpg
    Looking at them, the best way I could describe it is that they are is that they are rubbery plastic beans with nozzles. They are a great fitting earphone that will work with many people's ears. The D2 has a nozzle that is relatively standard in terms of width and length. Tip rolling was easy to do and I was able to get a good seal with almost every style of tip I used. Alpha and Delta logos can be seen on each housing. A red marking on the strain relief of the D2 Identifies the right channel.

Cable, Y-Split, Cable Jack, Strain Reliefs
    20160628_203305.jpg
    The D2 cable is a standard black rubber cable that is in alignment with Alpha & Delta’s asking price. Some nice features are the very pliable memory wire that improves the fit. There is a chin/neck slider and Y-split that also operates as single button remote and microphone. Just when that wasn’t enough, a manual volume slider is also built into the Y-split. This combination make the D2 a fantastic traveling companion. Cable jacks are a straight 3.5 mm plug. Strain reliefs are well placed and seem to be very adequate.

Functionality
    20160628_203246.jpg
    The D2 comes in two variations, with or without a microphone and remote. I selected the mic/remote option. The single button works great to play/pause/skip tracks in my LG V10. Alpha & Delta has applied manual volume slider attached to the remote, making controlling volume easy. It was a positive experience not having to turn on a screen or reach in my pocket. Kudos for this, especially considering that they are marketed as sports earphones.

Ergonomics, Fit and Microphonics, Isolation
    20160628_203358.jpg
    I really enjoyed the fit of the A&D D2. Their egg/bean shape was small enough to fit in just about anyone’s ear, and also rests in the concha of my ear, taking weight off of the nozzle and making the the D2 fit comfortably. The very flexible memory wire didn’t feel uncomfortable, and the housing’s satin texture was smooth and the somewhat spherical shape renders smooth edges. The including chin slider is icing on the cake. The D2 fit fabulously for me. Your mileage may vary. You will know when they fit because they create a suction like seal. You may experience some driver flex if you get too much pressure on the D2 dynamic driver.

NOTE: If there is one thing that might make them hard to get a fit it’s their shallow fit. If you are having trouble getting the D2 to fit well try a wider and shallower fitting tip.

Once I was able to get a nice fit and found the right tip I was able to enjoy the D2 with little or any need to readjust. The D2 is a better than average isolator. The create a suction like seal that blocks out most ambient noise.

Sound Review
    I did my demo with my usual gear. I used an LG-V10 for smartphone use, and either my Shanling H3 or iBasso DX80 DAP/Bushmaster D14 DAC/Amp for high fidelity portable use. For desktop use, I used my Toshiba Satellite Laptop in combination with a ifi micro iDSD playing at 32/192 kHz. I tested them with several other sources as well. I used Google Music in its highest download quality (320 KBPS), and also streamed FLAC via Tidal streaming service. I also used purchased and downloaded tracks in MP3, FLAC, WAV and DSD. I make sure that any gear I test has sufficient playtime before writing a review.

I used my usual same songs for testing gear:
    “Limit to your love” by James Blake (bass speed, punch, response)
    “Doin’ it Right” by Daft Punk (sub bass)
    “Get lucky” by Daft Punk (bass to midrange transition resolution, male vocals)
    “Madness” by Muse (soundstage, separation)
    “Some nights” by Fun (soundstage and male vocals)
    “The soundmaker” by Rodrigo y Gabriela (texture and imaging)
    “Bassically” by Tei Shi (bass to midrange resolution, female vocals)
    “Skinny Love” performed by Birdie (female vocals, acoustic playback)
    “One” by Ed Sheeran (male vocals, acoustic playback)
    “Outlands” from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack (symphonic presentation, imaging)
    “Sultans of swing” by Dire Straits (detail, separation, balance)
    “And Justic for All” by Metallica (driver distortion, treble response, rock playback)
    “Ten thousand fists” by Disturbed (driver distortion, treble response, rock playback)

Note: Other tracks were used, but the listed songs were primarily used to assess and break down the gear’s response.

Source Selection
    The D2 is designed to be used with a portable device. They has a bassy presence that is further emphasized by warmer sources. I got my favorite results listening to them on my LG V10 in Hifi mode.

The D2 sound signature is not set up to make the most of your high bitrate recordings. Plugging these into your high power desktop tube amplifier would be silly.

The D2 is forgiving with poorly recorded music. They will make your Tidal, Itunes and Google Music sound great. They have a bass forward, warm tilted sound with aggressive upper midrange much similar to the sports earphone models of time’s past.

Don’t try to make the D2 anything more than a great sports and portable music companion. They are designed for this and will not disappoint you if used this way.

Sound Signature
    D2 is a entertainer, offering a bass bumping sound that will get you going during your run or commute. They have a forward bass and upper midrange that gives you the boom and vocals a younger generation of consumers are looking for. The tuning works great for pop and modern genres of music. Indie, Hip hop and EDM all sound excellent on the D2.

Usually for twenty five dollars you know what to expect, but the D2 will surprise you with its sonic performance. Although not the greatest thing I’ve ever heard, if you popped them in my ears without telling me, I wouldn’t tell you that you got a bad deal if you paid more than what Lendmeurears is asking for them. They are a fun sound that works great in loud environments or during physical activities.

Bass
    The D2 is a little bassy for my preference, but on a bright note they have some very nice range and depth. During Daft Punk’s “Doin it right” the D2 was easily able to hit the lowest of low notes without distorting or losing it’s tone.

Occasionally the D2 bass would be a bit too forward, making things seem boosted or slightly boomy. Bassheads will love it. Purists will be able to tolerate it. It doesn’t ruin the D2 sound, it boosts it.

Attack and decay are that of your average dynamic driver, but nowhere near as clear as some of the world’s best transducers I’ve heard. They aren’t sloppy, but at the same time they aren’t going to blow you away with low end resolution and clarity.

Midrange
    Midrange of the D2 is warm tilted and takes a slight back seat to their authoritative bass presence. I can’t pinpoint if it’s the bass or overall clarity, but the D2 didn’t have an airy or detailed midrange presentation. A lift at upper midrange frequencies prevents them from sounding dark. Still, for twenty five dollars the midrange sound really good and really fun. You won’t feel like vocals are missing. It's a fair amount of decibels lower than the booming stuff, but but also not the farthest back in the mix (that title goes to the treble tuning).

Upper midrange puts a nice bite on vocals. Harmony sounds okay as long as the bass isn't dominating the track. There will be some breakup in midrange sounds when the bass hits hard.

Treble
    Treble is formidable, not harsh, and not what I would consider to be extended. A forward upper midrange presence extends and rolls off when we get to treble sounds. You can make out things like cymbal crashes and pronunciation of the letters S and T, but they will be a considrerable amount behind the rest of the tuning. The forward upper midrange saves them from being an incredibly dark sounding earphone.

Soundstage and Imaging
    Because the D2 can hit the lowest bass notes and hold the tune, I give them a good rating in terms of soundstage depth. The gradual decent from bass to treble prevents me from saying they have any advantages in terms of soundstage height or imaging. All in all the D2 ranks average in this criteria.

Comparisons
    Brainwavz XFIT sports earphones ($25 to $30 USD on many sites)
    Comparing the two, the XFIT seems to have a more balanced, and also more grainy sound. Although they aren’t very far off in terms of sound signature, the D2 bass seemed to dig a bit deeper. The XFIT seemed to be a bit more forward and a bit more extended at upper midrange and treble frequencies.

Builds are nearly identical. I give the D2 a decisive advantage in terms of shell material shape and surface material. I also give the D2 an advantage for adding a manual volume slider on the Y-split. It made controlling music fun and easy during running and bike rides.

Accessories is a draw. Brainwavz may get a slight edge for offering a few more tips.

At the end of the day, it’s a toss up with these things. It depends on what you think looks best and is tuned more for your preference.

Moxpad X3 ($19 to USD on many sites)
    The X3 is a budget Shure SE215 challenger released a few years back. They have detachable DC style cable, solidly built and designed housing with over-ear fit. They make great workout phones or stage monitors.

Comparing the two, they honestly have a very similar tuning. Bouncing back and forth it was very hard to distinguish differently between them aside from the fact that the D2 seemed to have a bit more refinement and clarity in the midrange and higher frequencies. Bass on both are boosted at about the same degree to the rest of their tuning.

Accessories is a draw. The X3 gets an advantage for having a replaceable cable, but D2 gets a slight edge in terms of fit.

Conclusion
    I really like the D2. Alpha & Delta hasn’t reinvented the wheel for sports earphones, but they’ve refined it a bit. If I were in the market for a sports earphone, I would consider these for sure.

I give the D2 three and a half stars for sound, three and a half stars for materials and build quality, and five stars in terms of fit and functionality. Average them out, the D2 gets four stars.

If you are looking for something to throw in the gym bag, use on the bus, or take on a bike ride they won’t disappoint. They’ll give you everything you need to make the most of your music collection while on the go.

20160607_111220.jpg
    Thanks for reading and happy listening!
      cpauya, peter123, B9Scrambler and 2 others like this.
    1. Cinder
      Good review! One thing I would suggest, purely in terms of visuals, would be to reduce the strength/intensity of the vignette you are using. I feel as if it clutters otherwise good pictures.
      Cinder, Jun 29, 2016
    2. WardrumMastodon
      I would of liked to see a comparison to the piston 3s. Which is also another excellent 20 dollar IEM.
      WardrumMastodon, Jul 6, 2016
  9. shotgunshane
    Alpha & Delta D2 - Bring Your Sweaty, Athletic Masses
    Written by shotgunshane
    Published Jun 4, 2016
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Price, Ergonomic Design, Soft-Touch Housings, Male Vocals
    Cons - Nozzle Angle, Bass Quantity
    Note: The D2 used for this review was graciously supplied free of charge.

D2case.jpg

The Alpha & Delta D2 is the newest in-house branded in-ear from Lend Me UR ears. Marketed for active users, the D2 is very affordable at an MSRP of only $25.92. It’s IPX4 sweat resistant design makes it perfect for outdoors, workouts and pool/beach-side usage.

Specifications:
        •    Driver unit: 10mm dynamic driver
        •    Impedance: 16 ohm
        •    Rated power: 1mW
        •    Frequency Response: 10 Hz- 20 Khz
        •    Speaker Sensitivity: 95 +/- db/ mW
        •    Cord Length: 1.2m
        •    Plug: 3.5 mm

The housings are of an ergonomic design, made to fit flush in the ear. The housings are covered in a soft-touch, smooth rubberized plastic coating. Only time will tell how long this coating holds up but the effect is very pleasing. The D2 is meant to be worn over-the-ear and comes with pre-formed ear hooks built into the cable. Housing strain reliefs appear to be robust and durable, as is the Y-split. Thankfully the D2 cable has neck slider to adjust the cable to preference. Overall the cable is on the thin side and is plenty flexible. Lastly, it is terminated in a tiny 45 degree case friendly plug.

D2y-split.jpg D2plug.jpg D2tips.jpg

Accessories include a carrying case, shirt clip, several single flange, dual flange and foam tips.

Fit is snug and easy, due to the smooth and light weight housings. The ergonomic design has a broad angled nozzle that may cause some issues with achieving a perfect seal. My ear canals are fairly straight and nozzles with this much angle are somewhat difficult of me seal properly. Luckily I happen to prefer a loose seal with the D2, due to the tuning - more on that shortly. For normal activity the fit is comfortable and pleasing.

I had hoped, with the IPX4 rating, that the D2 would be an option for mowing use. I like to use in-ears underneath noise reducing ear muffs, while using my riding lawn mower. While the housings of the D2 or very smooth, they do have a large surface area that comes in contact with the ear. The very bumpy ride of my yard proved a bit too fatiguing with the D2 over the 2 hour time span it takes me to complete mowing. Other than this specific use case, The D2 remained comfortable over extended periods.

D2nozzles.jpg

The sound of the D2 is a bass first signature. With a full seal, the bass is quite prominent and strong. It reaches deep, with lots of rumble, but peaks and is strongest in mid bass. Impact is definitely king. Lower mids are full and forward, if a bit aggressive. Vocals are warm and intimate, as well as engaging. Upper mids take a bit of a back seat, which makes distortion rock guitars rounded and smooth. The D2 is definitely more tailored towards male vocals than female with it’s lower midrange voicing. Treble is also a bit on the laid back and smooth side but does rebound with some sparkle and presence after the upper mid dip. Due to the D2’s bassy nature, I prefer the loser seal the nozzle angle affords me.

TLDR: Prominent mid bass focus, forward and full lower mids, laid back upper mid and fairly smooth treble.

Comparisons

D2 vs Shozy Zero

The Zero comes across as V shaped with plentiful but not overbearing bass, that is tilted towards deep bass. It has a supple, bouncy nature with plenty of rumble. Treble is pretty easy going and laid back, with just enough lower and middle treble to provide some sparkle; afterwards it rolls off fairly quickly. The midrange, while somewhat recessed, is full, clear and transparent with a hint of sweetness.

In comparison, the D2 comes across as much bassier, with more emphasis in mid and upper bass. The result is a warmer, harder hitting bass. Due to the downward sloping frequency response of the D2, treble presence takes a back seat to the more forward bass and midrange. Vocals are more forward than the Zero but less clear and transparent with much greater warmth and fullness.

D2 vs Brainwavz S0

The S0 is a bassy and very smooth signature. Bass is full with loads of rumble and extended decay, supporting a thick and rich note. While lower mids are also full, middle and upper mids are recessed for a laid back vocal. Treble is easy going and laid back with just a hint of sparkle.

Similarly to the S0, the D2 is just as bassy, if not a bit more but is tilted more towards mid bass for harder hitting impact. The D2 has less decay for a slightly faster bass and less warm vocal. Vocals are fuller and more forward, as well as slightly clearer. Treble, while laid back as well, does have a hair more brightness and sparkle.

D2 vs Samsung Quadbeat 3

The Quadbeat is a pretty balanced signature with a prodigious sub bass lift. Otherwise mid and upper bass are balanced with it’s midrange and treble. The large sub bass lift can make it feel lacking in mid bass impact at times. Vocals are neutrally placed with very good clarity and definition. Treble is neither bright nor laid back with average sparkle and above average timbre.

Next to the Quadbeat 3, the D2 is a veritable bass machine with much harder hitting impact and overall bass presence. Notes are much thicker and fuller than on the Quadbeat. The D2 pushes vocals much more forward as well, although with less overall clarity. Treble isn’t as bright and is further back in the mix, with less realistic timbre, in direct comparison.

D2 vs Zero Audio Tenore

The Tenore is a warmish, downward sloping take on neutral. Relative to its signature, the Tenore has a full bass note, tilted more towards deep bass. Similar to the Quadbeat 3, Tenore vocals are neither recessed nor forward but do carry slightly more weight and warmth. The treble of the Tenore is very smooth and extended, if just slightly laid back.

In comparison, the D2 is warmer and a good bit bassier, again with more emphasis in mid bass but similar amounts of rumble. Overall note weight is fuller and richer. Vocals on the D2 are more forward and the midrange is more aggressive overall. While both have a laid back treble, the D2 seems is even more so, yet isn’t quite as smooth and peak free as the Tenore.

Conclusion

For less than $26 dollars, there really isn’t anything to complain about, unless perhaps you happen to be looking for more treble and less bass. The D2 is an easy to please, bassy, all rounder that is nearly perfect for those sweaty and humid activities.
      peter123, B9Scrambler and puppyfi like this.
  10. HiFiChris
    A solid and bassy Budget In-Ear for rough Use in every Situation
    Written by HiFiChris
    Published May 21, 2016
    Pros - bass speed & control despite the price, accessories, really good cable, good sound for the price, IEMs seem very sturdy
    Cons - could use a little more sparkle in the highs, not for those looking for a non-bassy in-ear
    P1020980.jpg

Preamble:

After having reviewed the Alpha & Delta AD01, Lend Me UR Ears’ (http://www.lendmeurears.com/) Teo asked me if I was interested in reviewing their upcoming Alpha & Delta D2 in-ear, a low budget entry-level model that was designed for careless on the go use in any weather and climate condition, as it is IPX4 sweat resistant, wherefore it is also well-suited for sports (besides of its shape and design that suit well for that purpose, too). Based on numerous customer feedbacks wishing for a tough and low priced model, this beater in-ear was created.

Technical Specifications:

Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 20 kHz
    Sensitivity: 95 +/- 3 dB/mW @ 1 kHz
    Cable Length: 1.2 m

Delivery Content:

Unlike some other products at this price point, the D2 comes in a nice cardboard box that contains many nice accessories for the price.

The box’s front displays a picture of the in-ears, along with showing that they are IPX4 sweat-resistant. The left side gives you information about the included accessories and the back shows the technical specifications as well as pictures of the in-ears, the 3.5 mm connector and y-split above a description of the in-ears’ features.

P1020962.jpg   P1020961.jpg
    P1020963.jpg   P1020964.jpg

Inside, the amount of included accessories is quite ample: we don’t just find the in-ears and a manual, but also a nice zipped carrying case, three pairs of hybrid silicone tips, three pairs of black silicone tips, two pairs of (differently sized) Crystal foam tips and a shirt clip. That’s really neat and definitely more than could be expected at the price point.

P1020965.jpg   P1020969.jpg

Looks, Feels, Build Quality:

The in-ears have got nicely rounded edges and feature a red Alpha & Delta logo on the faceplate. The in-ear bodies are made of two pieces and made of the quite common matte black soft-touch plastic that will start to look sub-average over time if not handled carefully although the matte finish looks quite nice.

P1020972.jpg   P1020975.jpg
    P1020979.jpg   P1020980.jpg

The cable is good and tough although it could be somewhat less springy; it appears very sturdy, which is the most important thing at the price point. What’s really nice to see is that a chin-slider is not missing.
    The strain relief is excellent on all parts and what I find extremely handy is that the right earpiece features red strain relief wherefore it is super easy to see which side is the correct one.
    The 3.5 mm is angled by 45° and low in profile.

P1020970.jpg   P1020971.jpg
    P1020981.jpg   P1020982.jpg

The overall impression is that what we have here are really sturdy in-ears.

Comfort, Isolation:

The in-ears are rather on the smaller side and quite easy to insert (in my large ears, there is still plenty of free space). The nozzles could be slightly longer or the shape near them more rounded for my ear anatomy (more specifically my Tragus), but comfort is still good.

The in-ears are designed to be worn with the cables around the ears which might be new to some people, but it is the standard in the professional and higher priced sector. After some setting-in period, one will value the improved security, comfort and fit.
    The ear guides are reinforced and just contain of a silicone/plastic tube without the commonly found memory wire and are made to shape the cable in that place near the ears, wherefore the in-ears are also nicely suited for people who are new to this and fail using memory wire correctly (yeah, some of them really seem to exist).

P1020976.jpg   P1020977.jpg
    P1020978.jpg   P1020983.jpg

Together with the cable cinch (chin-slider), microphonics are commendably low and much lower than with in-ears that are worn “cable down”.

Although isolation doesn’t entirely reach closed IEMs’ levels, it is above average and fairly decent.

Although I am not really a burn-in supporter for headphones, the D2 was burnt in with noise and sine signals for more than 50 hours before initial casual and critical listening started (just in case).

For listening and evaluation, I used the iBasso DX90 plus DX80, FiiO X3 (first generation) as well as the LH Labs Geek Out IEM 100.

For listening, I used the largest standard black silicone tips as I found the treble and midrange refinement to be somewhat better than with the hybrid silicone tips.

Tonality:

I would describe the D2’s sound as engaging, quite bassy and smooth with relatively linear and non-obtrusive treble.

The lows’ emphasis starts around 600 Hz but climbs quite quickly, then reaching the climax around 120 Hz and keeping this level upright past 20 Hz without roll-off. Though, around 200 and also 300 Hz, in the lower/middle fundamental range, level is already emphasised and this area sounds quite full. Therefore, the bass is full-bodied, warm, somewhat heavy, kicking and impactful. Compared to a strictly flat monitor like the plainly reference Etymotic ER-4S, level is emphasised by ca. 13 dB, but at times, it can sound if it was slightly more because of the full lower fundamental range.
    Vocals are on the warmer and darker side but not by too much and overall not too much coloured sounding although they are on the warmer and fuller side.
    Between 1 and 4 kHz, in the presence area as well as lower middle treble, level is in the background and comes back to about normal level from 5 kHz on. At 6.5 kHz is a slight dip again, but above, in the upper highs, level is about flat again. In the super treble above 10 kHz, not much is going on anymore.

It is a bassy, smooth tuning that lacks harshness and any peakiness, nonetheless the treble sounds relatively realistic. Compared to the full bass and lower root, a slight elevation in the (upper) highs wouldn’t do harm though.
    Mids strangely sound somewhat distanced but not by too much.
    Despite the warm bass and lower mids, timbre is not much off, although trumpets could use slightly more level in the 3-4 kHz range where they sound a little quiet.

This kind of tuning with a really strong, impactful bass is well suited for noisy outdoor use where frequency masking by exterior noise is present.

Resolution:

For the price, overall resolution is a little better than adequate. While midrange and treble refinement somewhat lack behind higher priced dynamic and entry-level BA in-ears, these ranges don’t really do anything wrong for the price and the in-ears sound well behaved and really controlled despite not being shy on the bass. The lows don’t become muddy with bass-oriented and fast tracks, which is a really nice thing where some other low-priced, similarly bassy in-ears often struggle. It is not the cleanest bass, but overall good and quite quick as well as controlled nonetheless. The quite good speed also helps the bass not to become too muddy.
    And what’s quite nice on the long run is the treble – at first it might appear as lacking some sparkle compared to the bass, but it does not and is just a little on the smoother side of flat, but sounds very authentic and does not try to produce fake treble details by edgy emphasises as some in-ears do.
    This in-ear is not the best for vocals, as it is somewhat veiled sounding in the centre frequency band to me, however it fares quite nicely (for a low priced dynamic driver model) with complex Electronical music without any vocals. Yeah, in my opinion, it works best with Electronical music although it doesn’t do anything wrong either with other genres.

Soundstage:

The portrayed imaginary room is wider and deeper extending than average with just as much width as depth. However, nothing feels congested and the instrument separation is quite precise and the generated depth sounds authentic. In my view, this is clearly one of the better soundstage presentations at this price point – it doesn’t have the ultimate size but is nonetheless quite spacious, precise and instruments don’t really blend into each other.

---------

In Comparison with other In-Ears:

TTPod T1 (non-E):
    The T1 has got clearly less bass and the brighter, more sparkling treble. Its fundamental tone range is somewhat on the warmer and fuller side as well, but bass (midbass, upper bass) quantity is noticeably lower (to my ears, the T1 has got 6 dB more bass than a flat monitor). In the lowest registers (the subbass), the TTPod rolls somewhat off whereas the D2 has no roll-off. The T1, although its lows aren’t on the lean side at all, is less obtrusive in comparison. However, its treble has slightly more quantity than its bass, wherefore it can be a bit obtrusive at times.
    The T1 has got the somewhat better midrange resolution and better speech intelligibility. In the treble, resolution is about comparable although the D2 sounds more harmonious and even. What’s for sure though is that the D2 is less gimmicky in the upper frequency range. The D2 has got the tighter, less spongy bass and handles quick bass attacks and fast music somewhat better. Overall, the D2 has got the slightly better control and resolution.
    Regarding soundstage, both have comparable width, whereas the D2 has got more depth and the T1 more height. The D2 has the better instrument separation by just a smidgen.

Brainwavz Jive:
    The Jive is more v-shaped sounding with more distant mids and a more forward lower and upper treble (at times, the Jive’s lower treble can be a little strident). The D2 has got more upper bass and lower root quantity, hence sounding fuller and bassier although subbass and midbass have about comparable levels (the Jove has got more subbass). The Jive has got the brighter mids. In the treble, the D2 is smoother and more even, but also a tad more refined.
    D2’s bass is somewhat better controlled and less spongy. The Jive’s mids sound somewhat clearer, less veiled and more detailed. Overall resolution and control are just slightly better on the D2’s side.
    Soundstage depth is identical but the D2 has got a bit more width. Instrument placement and separation are a bit more precise on the Alpha & Delta’s side.

Alpha & Delta AD01:
    The AD01 has got somewhat more lower and upper treble quantity but not much – it sounds still smooth and bassy. Sub- and midbass quantity are comparable, however the D2 has got the stronger upper bass and lower root emphasis, wherefore it sounds somewhat bassier and fuller.
    In the treble and mids, the AD01 is somewhat more refined and has got the superior speech intelligibility, minute detail retrieval as well as authenticity. Overall resolution is not far apart by any means though.
    While the AD01 sounds slightly more detailed in the bass, too, the D2 is better controlled, quicker and more arid in the low frequency range, sounding overall tighter.
    D2’s soundstage is slightly wider and deeper but has got less height. Surprisingly, instrument separation is a bit better and more precise on the D2’s side.

Conclusion:

The Alpha & Delta D2 is a really solid starting point and a pretty sturdy in-ear for rough, careless use. It is very sturdy and features a really nice range of included accessories at this price point; its cable has got excellent strain relief on all critical parts as well.
    Who is looking for a quite bassy, smooth and well-controlled in-ear for noisy environment on a budget could have an eye on the D2. It is not the best resolving in-ear nor the best-suited model for vocals and works better for Electronical music in my view, but adequate at the price point and features a quite nice soundstage with fair value.

All in all and for the price, the Alpha & Delta D2 gets 4.16 out of 5 possible stars with my usual 70% sound/price (79/100) to 30% comfort/build/design (93/100) weighting.

Bonus – Frequency Response Charts: