Westone W80
Apr 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #616 of 1,446
  Been using W80 with Sony TA-HZ1ES amp & gold Walkman with this 4.4mm balanced Kimber Kable. It is world-class sound! 

How does the sound compares to Ref8, if you can still use it together with your WM1Z/HZ1ES setup?

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #617 of 1,446
Twisted
In your review you use the ref8 3.5mm? I cant believe with my dx200 is bad paring :/, today i have the opcion of buy effect audio thor I and effect audio eros ii+. The pairing can be better with dofferent cable?
Hmm

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #618 of 1,446
Twisted
In your review you use the ref8 3.5mm? I cant believe with my dx200 is bad paring :/, today i have the opcion of buy effect audio thor I and effect audio eros ii+. The pairing can be better with dofferent cable?
Hmm

What exactly don't you like about pairing of W80 w/Ref8 and DX200?  I mean, we all hear things differently and have our own personal sound preference, but I'm trying to understand what exactly don't you like about this pairing in order to offer the next step suggestion.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #619 of 1,446
Your 95% of opinion on your reviews are exactly like my opinion.
I dont listen the w80 now.. maybe un 4 week or 5 i can do it, but you said en your review the sinergy is bad! That is my problem

My friend have
Both Ref8 2.5/3.5, thor I and eros ii+

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #620 of 1,446
Your 95% of opinion on your reviews are exactly like my opinion.
I dont listen the w80 now.. maybe un 4 week or 5 i can do it, but you said en your review the sinergy is bad! That is my problem

My friend have
Both Ref8 2.5/3.5, thor I and eros ii+

Man, you are killing me!!!

From my DX200 dap review:

"W80 (8BA) - a wide/deep expanded soundstage.  The sound signature is very balanced and smooth, yet still with great retrieval of details.  The bass has a perfect balance of sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch, well controlled, not spilling into lower mids.  Lower mids have slightly above neutral body, but under control without muddying the sound.  Upper mids are smooth and detailed, very organic but not veiled or dull.  Treble has a great definition, moderate sparkle and airiness.  Overall sound is not as layered or separated due to its smooth signature, but it never gets congested or veiled.  No hissing."

That doesn't mean the synergy is bad
wink.gif
  If you want something more revealing and layered (with more air between layers of instruments and vocals), W80 is not for you.  It's tuned differently, and I described above how I hear it with DX200.

If you are waiting to receive W80, let's wait until you get it and then continue this conversation.  Otherwise, maybe W80 doesn't have your preferred sound sig and you need to look into another IEM.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #622 of 1,446
Ok thanks, i see you after test w80 :wink:

Just make sure you give it some burn in time, mostly for the benefit of Ref8 cable. I know, some don't believe in cable burn in, but I actually found it noticeable with Ref8 cable.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #625 of 1,446
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #626 of 1,446
hey Twister, i just saw your Vega review.
which one would you pick if you can only have 1, W80 or Vega ?

Vega is in a different category. If you are basshead who wants more than just bass - you would probably prefer Vega. But if you want all-around more balanced tuned iem that will work with many different genres and not as source dependent (Vega loves power), than you would probably go with W80.

Given a choice between these two, if you want all-around performer - go for W80, but if you want a sidekick to all-around performer - Vega is a great choice.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #627 of 1,446
Hi @twister6...just curious as to whether you've heard the Audeze iSine20 and if so, what your thought were?

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #628 of 1,446
Twister6 do you recommend getting a w80 for my wm1a?

Mainly using full sized headphones but I'm curious about 4.4mm balanced.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #629 of 1,446
Hi @twister6...just curious as to whether you've heard the Audeze iSine20 and if so, what your thought were?

In comparison to W80 or just in general? I only spent a short time with iSine20 at CJ/NYC and to be honest didn't find it to be my cup of tea. They were too warm, not as resolving, and soundstage was way too much out of my head to the point where I had a hard time focusing on the music and the vocals. Maybe I had different expectations, thinking it will be tuned brighter, more resolving. Of course, all subjective opinion, and I have read plenty of positive feedback.

Btw, Unique Melody is about to release their own open (or semi-open) ME.1 planar magnetic iems.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #630 of 1,446
Twister6 do you recommend getting a w80 for my wm1a?

Mainly using full sized headphones but I'm curious about 4.4mm balanced.

I'm not familiar with WM1A, but thought it's on a warmer side? I don't want to make misleading statements since I don't have 1A in front of me to test the pair up, but I'm guessing if you prefer a smooth organic resolving sound and not looking for revealing bright details, this would be a good pair up. W80 is not very demanding, easy to drive.

.. just read someone's impression of WM1A in another thread, and they mentioned that sound really scales up in high gain from 4.4mm balanced output. So, I think you will be good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back