Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,666 of 1,957
When I came on 2.5 years ago the W-series had just launched. It took some time but we did start to see issues with the C-clip. Because of that we are very supportive in sending replacements when needed.

The W80 we moved to a "J"clip which allows us to use a different material that is less likely to break.

What I can tell you is that I have seen this issue vocalized and we are looking into possible solutions for the W10-60.

I would love to know where you got those metal faceplates though. Can't hurt to chat with them.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,667 of 1,957
When I came on 2.5 years ago the W-series had just launched. It took some time but we did start to see issues with the C-clip. Because of that we are very supportive in sending replacements when needed.

The W80 we moved to a "J"clip which allows us to use a different material that is less likely to break.

What I can tell you is that I have seen this issue vocalized and we are looking into possible solutions for the W10-60.

I would love to know where you got those metal faceplates though. Can't hurt to chat with them.

@jgosroc : is this the one you got? Just found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/OKCSC-Exchangeable-Faceplates-Westone-Earphone/dp/B01MYH8N9F/ , though not much info about the company.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,668 of 1,957
Nobody is disagreeing with you, we are aligned here :wink: And I think Westone did realize the original issue in the design of these c-clip faceplates as well. Plus they honor the replacement within 2yr warranty, and I heard from a number of people - even outside of 2yrs. The design was updated in mid-production cycle of W-series, and then W80 has a slimmer more robust design as well, though still plastic.

9464589.jpg

If it would be up to me, I wouldn't even use faceplates. But from my discussion with Westone, they wanted something different/unique to stand out with customization option, sort of giving us a chance to mod the IEM. Plus, some people like to use different color faceplates to distinguish Left/Right earpieces.

Either way, hopefully they (Westone) are reading these threads and taking notes. You can see already, for example, UM Pro series got a complete refresh of the shell. And all their mmcx connectors has been updated, including Epic cable. As long as company is willing to admit they had a problem and moving forward fixing it - that's what matters :D

With the metal replacements, I'm actually not against Westone using them as a customisation option, provided that the plates are made of metal - then they won't crack every few weeks.

Anodised (coloured) aluminium, painted steel, chrome.. red/blue... there are so many potential ways to customise the metal plate idea that does work. (The two year warranty for a product that cracks in a few weeks, remains unsatisfactory for the reasons outlined earlier.) By the way, it would be a nice relief not hear that old "user error" defence get cited every time this issue is raised. That's what truly being genuinely "willing to admit they had a problem", actually looks like!

And I can attest from personal experience that the revised W60 plastic plate design, should never be confused with being "robust". However I'll take your word for it that the original W design was flimsier!

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #1,670 of 1,957
That's correct, although personally I went straight through Ali Express.

So it comes from China? I could swear I've seen some reference to OKCSC on FB to a group of guys from Japan making custom metal shells and faceplates. Or maybe it was a different acronym, don't remember exactly and can't find it now.

Regarding your other reply, maybe you meant to say revised W80 design which I called more "robust"? That W80 j-clip faceplate felt a little less brittle in comparison to W60 c-plate (the original early production design). But as you know, only time will tell. I don't have the revised W60 shell with an updated design, so can't judge it. But in the past I did have a faceplate crack on me and then replaced under warranty, so I can only speak from my own personal experience, but I did realize I was tightening screws too much.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,671 of 1,957
You might be quite correct about the Japan origin. Then shipping company were communicating with me, so I guess they're manufactured there at least. Anyway Westone PMed to suggest they were looking at metal plates for their customers, so that would be cool if it panned out. I'd love to see customised metal plates, it would be a cosmetic win for Westone, we'll see.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,673 of 1,957
Who is the manufacturer of the headphones Weston? it's the us or Germany?

It's Russia, don't you know it? :wink:

Designed in US, probably manufactured here too, though not 100% sure. I know certainly that both ES60 and ES80 are made in Westone Labs in Colorado.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,675 of 1,957
W series is China manufactured isn't it???? Then the Pro U series is or was US manufactured I thought. I guess Westone will confirm... (or not).

I will let you guys/gals know as soon as I hear back from Westone with confirmation.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,676 of 1,957
Westone's products contain parts that are manufactured all over the world. From the US, to Europe, to Asia.

The main assembly and pack out is currently done in China. We take several trips to the facility a year including myself and the head designers and we do extensive testing on all products locally to ensure the builds hold up to our standards.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #1,677 of 1,957
After 2-3 weeks with the used W80 that I got for $740 I am loving it. I returned the ALO cable for partial refund as it had bit of damage and for me EPIC cable is good enough and I like it for more balanced signature.

I am really loving this IEM. This is super comfortable to wear and the laid back but good resolving nature of this super light IEM is just great and only complain is that I do not want to take them off. Similar to HE1000 I really like this and it put me to sleep whilst listening. It does the job in the background and never harsh or in your face (say like Focal Elears etc). I am so glad that I got this for a good price.

I was about to give up on IEMs and I said to my self that if W80 does not do it then it would be my last try on IEM and W80 definitely is a keep. I tried AKG K3003, JH Roxanne and Shure SE846 before and all of that did not give any hope of substituting my full size HPs and could not wear those for more than one hour. With W80 I even do not notice that I am wearing IEM. Great product

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,679 of 1,957
I've spotted a deal on a pair of these. Did I read somewhere though that there is a quality problem, along the lines of the shell coming apart along the join?

W60?!? Where did you read this, on head-fi? Do you have a link or you just saying it?

There were a few people back in Um Pro thread, talking about older UmPro50, but I don't recall reading about W series or even too many people talking about it in um pro thread. As you know, people go on-line to voice their opinions about problems more often than praising the product. So, you can be rest assured, you would see many posts about it here on head-fi if that would be wide spread :wink:

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,680 of 1,957
I've spotted a deal on a pair of these. Did I read somewhere though that there is a quality problem, along the lines of the shell coming apart along the join?

We have not had any case separation issues with the W-series. We did have a small run 2 years ago with some UM Pros but made corrective action quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back