Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,807 of 3,631
SO I got my new Walnut and unfortunately it is the 2.1 version. I asked the seller for a partial refund since it was marketed as the original one (and all the pictures were of the original oen as well) and they agreed so no harm done.

What is interesting though is that this one also distort and sound awful when used as an amp. This got me thinking and instead of using the line out from the Aune M1S or Opus #1 I tried them both from the headpone out and thisn seems to be working properly so it seems as if the line out on these two devices are too hot for the Walnut. ANyone have any thoughts on this and are someone using it as an amp from a line out from some other device(s)?

I'd add some pictures of the two but yeay, I'm sure everyone that's lucky enough to be able to access a thread understands :wink:

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,808 of 3,631
I got the 2.1 Walnut too. I tried amping with the M1s too but it is way too hot. Just blaringly loud from the Line Out. It sounds great from a Pono player which has the option to manually adjust the Line Out. That works really well at 50% or even below ( so that's about an indication as to what the Walnut wants from a Line Out). I'll try something else out with the Walnut and M1s and get back.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,809 of 3,631
@peter123 I put that thing called IEMatch in between the Line Out of the M1s and the Walnut. It lowered the levels substantially and is very clear and good sounding. Cut the level by about half. It is still pretty loud but manageable (with Monk+ which is a sensitive 64ohm earbud). I would suppose an impedence adapter plug here (a value to me that is unknown) could also help to lower volumes so that the Line Out would be more useable drom the M1s. It sounds really good though through the IEMatch placed in the Line Out path.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,810 of 3,631
Also turn the Digital volume down on the Walnut. That seems to lower the overall volume and distortion when using it as an amp. Press the Walnut's "Prev" button whilst wiggling the volume knob in player mode until there is no sound from the volume knob. Then switch to amp mode.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #2,811 of 3,631
SO I got my new Walnut and unfortunately it is the 2.1 version. I asked the seller for a partial refund since it was marketed as the original one (and all the pictures were of the original oen as well) and they agreed so no harm done.

What is interesting though is that this one also distort and sound awful when used as an amp. This got me thinking and instead of using the line out from the Aune M1S or Opus #1 I tried them both from the headpone out and thisn seems to be working properly so it seems as if the line out on these two devices are too hot for the Walnut. ANyone have any thoughts on this and are someone using it as an amp from a line out from some other device(s)?

I'd add some pictures of the two but yeay, I'm sure everyone that's lucky enough to be able to access a thread understands :wink:

Whats wrong with v2.1?

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #2,813 of 3,631
No man....this is a replica..Dont risk on that one...here is the link from U3.6 even if this bluebird is now out of stock ask the seller to bring it back :frowning2:link)
BlueBird new U3.6 portable headphone amplifier HIFI EXQUIS Class A headset amps standard version OPA2604 op-amp
http://s.aliexpress.com/rMJFvAVv
(from AliExpress Android)
Is it same as u3 mini?

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,814 of 3,631
Is it possible for a firmware update to be released to allow this player to support folders and FLAC? Or is there something about the chipset it uses that doesn't make it possible (hardware limitation vs. software limitation.)

That being said, "possible" is less as important as "likely" since even if it is, someone would have to convince the manufacturer to make the effort to do so. The only carrot I would dangle in front of them is they now have some stiff competition from the Zisha Z1 -- which does support those features.

Alas, it's still an awesome DAP. But the more codecs/features the merrier!

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,816 of 3,631
@silverfishla
Thabks for confirming and also thank you for the suggestion. Been thinking about getting a IEMatch for some time so will definitely see if I can manage to get a hold of one. I've also got a 75Ohm resistor that I'll try. I noticed the same as you with the digital volume.

@Sulbh
Nothing is wrong with it unless you like to roll op amps. I enjoy doing so and that's why I wanted the original one where the op amp isn't soldered.

Sorry for not quoting but the new site won't let me......

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,817 of 3,631
@silverfishla
Thabks for confirming and also thank you for the suggestion. Been thinking about getting a IEMatch for some time so will definitely see if I can manage to get a hold of one. I've also got a 75Ohm resistor that I'll try. I noticed the same as you with the digital volume.

@Sulbh
Nothing is wrong with it unless you like to roll op amps. I enjoy doing so and that's why I wanted the original one where the op amp isn't soldered.

Sorry for not quoting but the new site won't let me......
This new site is a mess its so repulsive.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,820 of 3,631
Original walnut store on Taobao updated their listing to state rollable rc5532

So that's the rumored v2.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back