Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #556 of 811
Yeah it's a coilcraft. I think they look cool. UE used to make their personal custom sounding ueprm, where the user would tune the sound he wants and get a personnalized ciem. Those used the inductors as well

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #557 of 811
Yeah it's a coilcraft. I think they look cool. UE used to make their personal custom sounding ueprm, where the user would tune the sound he wants and get a personnalized ciem. Those used the inductors as well

And also, by adding these large crossover components, it becomes a challenge to keep the shell small. With UERR 3-driver design they did an excellent job making universal ToGo version nearly the same size as CIEM. With 6-driver UE18+Pro version, it's a little more challenging. I got the initial universal prototype of UE18+ ToGo, and it's on a large size. UE was able to optimize the design, and I'm waiting to receive now the final universal shell which should be more compact.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #558 of 811
So happy some volume picked up on this thread. Lots of great timely info. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a UE CIEM soon after a decade's absence from the CIEM market.

Just started following the Summit-Fi CIEMs a month ago and it's overwhelming the amount of choices. Back then it was just UE or Sensaphonics.

Heavily leaned towards the 18+ this past week especially after the excellent write-up in flinkenick's shootout, but now reconsidering UE RR.

Priority is comfort and lightness. Afraid 18+ may add weight which makes a difference after hours of wearing. Is the weight marginal?

Using Mojo for now, but maybe upgrade to an Hugo2. But most likely no because of the form factor for portability.

Prefer the sound signature of the UE RR, but the trend seems to be to go for 6+ drivers?

Any input would be great. Just rocking back and forth between these two products.

Plan A: Stay light with Mojo and UE RR
Plan B: Mojo and 18+ but have to fiddle with CIEM weight issues?
Plan C: Screw it, just deal with all the weight issues with Hugo2/18+

$ aside, how can I justify leaning back towards the 18+? someone mentioned the 18+ is what the UE RR should have been?

I don't mind having both UE RR/Mojo now and next iteration of 18+/Hugo2 in the future. Or should I just go for the 18+ now?

Just seeing if it's worth the extra heft...

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #559 of 811
You should probably contact a UE dealer. If you are anywhere near the major cities in socal, there should be on near you. The dealers may also have demos you can listen to so you can judge for yourself. There's only 6 drivers in the UE 18+ so I don't see weight being much of an issue if you are going custom.

http://pro.ultimateears.com/find-ue-near-you

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #560 of 811
Thanks. I'm heading to the HQ in a week or two to pick up a repair. Hoping to get 3dscanned at that time and then pull the trigger. I'll try to demo at that time, but hope to gather as much intel before then. Also demos may sound differently than one's fitted custom to one's ear, so hope to be prepared to make an informed decision before the demo.

Okay, I must of read on the Summit-Fi CIEM where weight was an issue on some CIEMs. Must of mistaken that that correlates to the UE 18+.

Thanks for the link. Been on their site everyday for the last two weeks and missed that web page.

Really hope I can take weight out the equation.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #561 of 811
So happy some volume picked up on this thread. Lots of great timely info. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a UE CIEM soon after a decade's absence from the CIEM market.

Just started following the Summit-Fi CIEMs a month ago and it's overwhelming the amount of choices. Back then it was just UE or Sensaphonics.

Heavily leaned towards the 18+ this past week especially after the excellent write-up in flinkenick's shootout, but now reconsidering UE RR.

Priority is comfort and lightness. Afraid 18+ may add weight which makes a difference after hours of wearing. Is the weight marginal?

Using Mojo for now, but maybe upgrade to an Hugo2. But most likely no because of the form factor for portability.

Prefer the sound signature of the UE RR, but the trend seems to be to go for 6+ drivers?

Any input would be great. Just rocking back and forth between these two products.

Plan A: Stay light with Mojo and UE RR
Plan B: Mojo and 18+ but have to fiddle with CIEM weight issues?
Plan C: Screw it, just deal with all the weight issues with Hugo2/18+

$ aside, how can I justify leaning back towards the 18+? someone mentioned the 18+ is what the UE RR should have been?

I don't mind having both UE RR/Mojo now and next iteration of 18+/Hugo2 in the future. Or should I just go for the 18+ now?

Just seeing if it's worth the extra heft...
The weight of the UE CIEMs are not a concern, especially the difference between the UEPRR and the 18+ are supremely marginal. Super especially since you use the Mojo, which is about 99.99% more weight than the difference in weight of the RR and the 18+ and magnitudes more weight in all than the difference in weight of the RR and 18+!

Best thing to do in my opinion is to go to UE's headquarters - heck, if you'd like, let me know when you'll be there and I'll try my best to meet up with you there. A couple days during the week I coach, but I can make mornings as well currently if you decide to go there a day I coach. You'll be able to listen to the whole lineup there, check out faceplate options that aren't published on the website, and you'll be able to ask and receive correct answers about any internal components that are seen. :wink:

Hope to see you there!

Cheers

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #562 of 811
The weight of the UE CIEMs are not a concern, especially the difference between the UEPRR and the 18+ are supremely marginal. Super especially since you use the Mojo, which is about 99.99% more weight than the difference in weight of the RR and the 18+ and magnitudes more weight in all than the difference in weight of the RR and 18+!

Best thing to do in my opinion is to go to UE's headquarters - heck, if you'd like, let me know when you'll be there and I'll try my best to meet up with you there. A couple days during the week I coach, but I can make mornings as well currently if you decide to go there a day I coach. You'll be able to listen to the whole lineup there, check out faceplate options that aren't published on the website, and you'll be able to ask and receive correct answers about any internal components that are seen. :wink:

Hope to see you there!

Cheers

It's your fault in the first place I'm getting some new customs. You and your shiny gold UERR's. Just joking. Although after seeing photos of your gold customs, I said damn I need to think about modernizing.

Thanks for your reassurance on the weight. I'm going with the UE 18+...

Maybe meet up at next CanJamLalaLand. I'm recovering from a basketball dunking injury to my back so UE will be a hit and run after a long drive. I'll probably have to skip the demo as well if my back acts up since it's another long drive back.

But many thanks for the generous offer.

Cheers

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #563 of 811
It's your fault in the first place I'm getting some new customs. You and your shiny gold UERR's. Just joking. Although after seeing photos of your gold customs, I said damn I need to think about modernizing.

Thanks for your reassurance on the weight. I'm going with the UE 18+...

Maybe meet up at next CanJamLalaLand. I'm recovering from a basketball dunking injury to my back so UE will be a hit and run after a long drive. I'll probably have to skip the demo as well if my back acts up since it's another long drive back.

But many thanks for the generous offer.

Cheers
Congrats in advance!

Maybe we can meet up at the next CanJam SoCal. Parking nearby will cost and arm and a leg, but if you are able to walk a bit, you can find parking that costs only a finger (comparatively speaking).

Hope to see you then! :beerchug:

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #564 of 811
It's on.
IMG_1358.JPG

It's Ultimately on.
IMG_1337.JPG

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #568 of 811
Ok well after owning these for a couple of months I feel a duty to report at least a few thoughts. (I don't think of myself as enough of an audio expert to give a full review) I owned the original UERM for about 3 years prior to purchasing these and absolutely loved their sound from first listen. With the UERRs, it was a little bit different. Everything seemed less, less soundstage, less transient amplitude, less dynamics. Initially I was a bit underwhelmed, but after weeks of critical listening, and retuning my brain, I'm starting to hear more details. Small subtle background sounds, things that I didn't hear in the UERM. Treble and bass extension, reach out farther and what seems to be flatter. I'm getting more used to the flatter frequency response, but there are still parts about the imaging that bother me. The UERRs appear to have really strong center imaging, and while this does help vocals and single instruments, to sound more focused, I feel that it makes the soundstage seem uncomfortably narrow. The UERM, had a massive, almost open back soundstage width that surrounded you with lush punchy sounds (although admittedly a tad bit peaky, and less extended) While this may have been less accurate, it made everything come to life, cymbals crashed with deafening attack, and snares exploded with a shatteringly crisp pop, that to me very well replicated the harshness of reality. The UERR in contrast, sounds very inoffensive, which is good most of the time, but sometimes gives a sense that some sounds are artificially restricted/smoothed over.

I fell in love with the original UERM, because of its wide soundstage and harsh, hold-nothing-back (realistic to me) in your face dynamics. All in all I'm satisfied with the UERR for what it is, an accurate, and highly detailed CIEM. In many ways it is an improvement over the UERM in terms of tonal accuracy and extension, and while I do enjoy listening to it, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that part of that original UERM character is missing. Once again these are just my humble observations, YMMV.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #570 of 811
Ok well after owning these for a couple of months I feel a duty to report at least a few thoughts. (I don't think of myself as enough of an audio expert to give a full review) I owned the original UERM for about 3 years prior to purchasing these and absolutely loved their sound from first listen. With the UERRs, it was a little bit different. Everything seemed less, less soundstage, less transient amplitude, less dynamics. Initially I was a bit underwhelmed, but after weeks of critical listening, and retuning my brain, I'm starting to hear more details. Small subtle background sounds, things that I didn't hear in the UERM. Treble and bass extension, reach out farther and what seems to be flatter. I'm getting more used to the flatter frequency response, but there are still parts about the imaging that bother me. The UERRs appear to have really strong center imaging, and while this does help vocals and single instruments, to sound more focused, I feel that it makes the soundstage seem uncomfortably narrow. The UERM, had a massive, almost open back soundstage width that surrounded you with lush punchy sounds (although admittedly a tad bit peaky, and less extended) While this may have been less accurate, it made everything come to life, cymbals crashed with deafening attack, and snares exploded with a shatteringly crisp pop, that to me very well replicated the harshness of reality. The UERR in contrast, sounds very inoffensive, which is good most of the time, but sometimes gives a sense that some sounds are artificially restricted/smoothed over.

I fell in love with the original UERM, because of its wide soundstage and harsh, hold-nothing-back (realistic to me) in your face dynamics. All in all I'm satisfied with the UERR for what it is, an accurate, and highly detailed CIEM. In many ways it is an improvement over the UERM in terms of tonal accuracy and extension, and while I do enjoy listening to it, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that part of that original UERM character is missing. Once again these are just my humble observations, YMMV.
I'll say that the quality of the recording has a lot to do with those observations. Since you don't mention what tracks you are listening to, I'll assume that they are commercial "saleable" recordings. The UERRs soundstage is actually fairly wide, as long as the material was mixed in that manner. Listening to recordings as they are mixed (directly from the studio patches and board), and then a mastered release of the same material, the UERR reproduces the audio fairly accurately. With well mixed/engineered material, the UERR shows it; when the material was engineered poorly, it shows even better. Since most people haven't ever heard the "raw" recording of the material, they seem to think that it is the UERR's fault. Remember that a lot of music is mastered "to a lower standard" (i.e. the "expected customer"), so that the music sounds good for both listeners with good gear and those with iPods and crappy earbuds.

I've mixed and listened to tracks with the UERR (as well as the old UE-10) in front of a mixing console and the result was really, really close to what was coming out of the near-fields - Low acoustic bass that resonated accurately as well as cymbal hits that sounded almost the same as standing in the drum room.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back