Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #541 of 811
I'm having one here as well. Similar impressions for the most part, perhaps maybe feeling a slight bump on the treble than the UERR. Feels, from my memory, like the U shaped 18+ pro combined with the UERR, which is the dip to the midrange is not that obvious, bass and treble not too pronounced. Flatter U, I suppose, but early impressions.

Both universal ToGo versions? I need to take a closer listening and will do quick measurements later. As you know, different eartips will have some influence on the sound as well, where usually seal can affect the bass impact and material of eartips (foam vs silicone) can affect the energy of upper frequencies, at least to my ears :wink:

But I'm very excited about ToGo versions, and @moedawg140, thank you for the announcement, Maurice! I feel like UE iems are under rated and part of it that some people don't want to make CIEM commitment. With access to universal ToGo version - I think more people will give it a shot!

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #542 of 811
Both universal ToGo versions? I need to take a closer listening and will do quick measurements later. As you know, different eartips will have some influence on the sound as well, where usually seal can affect the bass impact and material of eartips (foam vs silicone) can affect the energy of upper frequencies, at least to my ears :wink:

But I'm very excited about ToGo versions, and @moedawg140, thank you for the announcement, Maurice! I feel like UE iems are under rated and part of it that some people don't want to make CIEM commitment. With access to universal ToGo version - I think more people will give it a shot!
Anytime, my friend!

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #543 of 811
It's going to be fun to compare not only the UEPRR to the UERM and UE 18+ , but listen to any perceived sonic changes and possible improvements to the sound when I use the two new "Ultimate Series" cables with them. I may even throw in the original UE 18 as part of the comparisons as well since I was able to listen to both the original and the UE 18+ back to back.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #544 of 811
That's great news. I've been waiting for them to be released for a while.

Just out of curiosity would the andromeda and uerr make sense? I try not to have earphones with too similar of sound signatures which is the only concern.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #545 of 811
I noticed on the UE Pro website that there is an option for a MMCX cable along with other new options. It was not there a few days ago.

If one were to order, is that the recommended nowadays? May cable roll one day.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #546 of 811

Nope. So that's probably why we have almost similar perception, but yours is perhaps a better direct comparison. I only have the UERR in custom form.

Eartips to me does influence sound so I always try to stick to the stock tips when I do my review on universals. Just to provide what I feel is a better perspective, since not everyone like to go for aftermarket tips. Material wise, foam just doesn't suit my comfort needs like 90% of the time.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #547 of 811
I noticed on the UE Pro website that there is an option for a MMCX cable along with other new options. It was not there a few days ago.

If one were to order, is that the recommended nowadays? May cable roll one day.

I chatted with ue today. The option for the mmcx just became available. When I was there in march the Rep alluded to this becoming available. It was not ready then.

You can also get your old customs updated with mmcx connectors for 50 bucks a side. A little steep but I will likely do it.

I am planning to get my ue4 upgraded to mmcx so I can use the Bluetooth cable when I am on the go.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #548 of 811
That's great news. I've been waiting for them to be released for a while.

Just out of curiosity would the andromeda and uerr make sense? I try not to have earphones with too similar of sound signatures which is the only concern.
I would say yes, in my opinion.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #549 of 811
I chatted with ue today. The option for the mmcx just became available. When I was there in march the Rep alluded to this becoming available. It was not ready then.

You can also get your old customs updated with mmcx connectors for 50 bucks a side. A little steep but I will likely do it.

I am planning to get my ue4 upgraded to mmcx so I can use the Bluetooth cable when I am on the go.
I would personally say for a custom IEM company to change connectors (most all don't usually perform that service), $50 per side is an absolute bargain. Let us know how it goes if you decide to go with the connection change!

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #550 of 811

Thanks for the confirmation. I will make sure to go the MMCX route.

Unsure if I should lean for the Bluetooth MMCX cable (+70) or just stick with an iOS MMCX cable (+10).

The option is there to just get an aftermarket cable at a later time.

I don't think I can wait for the "Ultimate Series" cable to go into production, but look forward to MoeDawg140's review.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #551 of 811
Nope. So that's probably why we have almost similar perception, but yours is perhaps a better direct comparison. I only have the UERR in custom form.

Eartips to me does influence sound so I always try to stick to the stock tips when I do my review on universals. Just to provide what I feel is a better perspective, since not everyone like to go for aftermarket tips. Material wise, foam just doesn't suit my comfort needs like 90% of the time.

UE18+Pro has a huge crossover capacitor, so I was giving it a little more burn in time to make sure crossover point is settled in. Now, after a closer listening between UERR and UE18+Pro, I definitely hear more bass (sub and mids) a little warmer (more body) lower mids and more sparkle in treble. For some reason I didn't hear as much of treble change out of the box (in comparison to UERR), but I certainly do hear it now.

Did a quick comparison capture with Veritas; of course, the usual disclaimer this is not a high end measurement setup :wink: And you can clearly see the lift in sub-/mid-bass and higher peaks in treble.

uerr_vs_ue18+pro.png

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #552 of 811
UE18+Pro has a huge crossover capacitor, so I was giving it a little more burn in time to make sure crossover point is settled in. Now, after a closer listening between UERR and UE18+Pro, I definitely hear more bass (sub and mids) a little warmer (more body) lower mids and more sparkle in treble. For some reason I didn't hear as much of treble change out of the box (in comparison to UERR), but I certainly do hear it now.

Did a quick comparison capture with Veritas; of course, the usual disclaimer this is not a high end measurement setup :wink: And you can clearly see the lift in sub-/mid-bass and higher peaks in treble.

Lol I remember first inspecting the unit and noticing that huge crossover cap. It certainly does smack your face with its presence.

Upon burning it in a little more, I can feel that sound signature coming out even more. Keeps in line with the old UE18, for me.

Jun 25, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #553 of 811

Thanks for posting those measurements!

That roughly aligns to what I had heard at CanJam SoCal.
I visited the Ultimate Ears booth since I recently purchased the UE RR. I had a good time talking to the representatives there about their True Tone technology and the works. I listened to the Pro 18+ and I thought it was good, but not quite my preferred sound signature. It was definitely a step-up in terms of overall cohesiveness and had better imaging, but the lows seemed boosted relative to the RR, and the treble shelved. I guess for a professional live artist singer, who would actually use the Pro 18+ as real in-ear monitors, that kind of sound signature is the preferred one.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #554 of 811

It's not a capacitor. it's an inductor.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #555 of 811
It's not a capacitor. it's an inductor.

Damn, you are right!!! I glanced (actually took a picture for another post), saw "C" and some value with "F" and quickly made an assumption it was a cap :D I just looked closer, kind of fools you because you don't see a wrapped coil. It looks like a self-enclosed surface mount inductor by Coilcraft, I googled the label and Coilcraft makes these type of inductors and they have a square white label and "C" marking on the top. So, UE18+Pro crossover has both tantalum caps (I see a yellow one on the side) and inductors, for whatever high/low pass filtering they do inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back