TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 25, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #17,567 of 24,683
I've been experimenting with my Masters since the day I got them. I thought I had a good seal with L kombis but I was wrong, I switched to the enormous foam tips provided and what a difference in mids. When listening to gold-undampened the mids were brought significantly closer and the highs became peaky and harsh in certain recordings. I went on and re-listened to all the filters and still couldn't find a favorite.

The gold undampened can sound too harsh and peaky in some recordings, but the dampened version glosses over the minute details which are fun to listen to. Silver has too much bass, blue not enough bass, purple too much treble. Green sounds pretty good but feels congested and mids heavy plus misses out on high end detail.

I got pretty annoyed that I can't get a good and secure fit with the kombis where a partial seal makes the gold (undampened) filters sound good, but with foam tips that provide a great and secure seal the filters sound too damn harsh.

Here's where it hit me, take the black dampening foam and stick it inside the gold undampened filters. So I did, and what did it sound like? Kind of like the black filters but with slightly more mids maybe, the lack of sparkle and treble detail left me unimpressed, much like the gold dampened filters.

But this is where I may be onto something. I pulled the black foam dampening out of the green filters and they came alive with clear highs! Sound signature sounds vaguely familiar and may be similar to the gold undampened filters but with bassier body and SLIGHTLY less elevated treble peaks, possibly. Unless the green filters are actually just the gold filters anodized green and stuffed with black foam inserts. It's really hard to tell without graphing.

The black foam insert seems to act somewhere between the 6-7kHz range the most from what I can tell, but I don't have any test tones on my DAC to verify this.

Next I'm going to pull the black-inserts from the red and black filters and see if they resemble the silver and purple filters respectively. My uncalibrated ears can tell only so much, feedback is greatly appreciated from anyone who wants to compare impressions.

Edit:
With longer filters I could possibly go back to L kombi tips, but as it is now the current filters with kombi tips don't sit in far enough and the top of my ear pushes the IEM back out under any movement of my head.

I'm listening on a X5II with E12A on about 40% volume

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #17,568 of 24,683
The survey was a bit tricky to answer, I am waiting for many products form them but the two I have (Vyrus2 and sabre) have exceeded my expectations at their price point. So, yes I will be happy to support them (still hoping to get at least hunter and PM6 soon) and I would love and open back IEM.

May 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #17,569 of 24,683
The survey was a bit tricky to answer, I am waiting for many products form them but the two I have (Vyrus2 and sabre) have exceeded my expectations at their price point. So, yes I will be happy to support them (still hoping to get at least hunter and PM6 soon) and I would love and open back IEM.

Im in agreement i have recieved 2 and waiting on 2 , the 2 i have recieved im more than happy with , sabre and master.
Still waiting on hunter and a pair of original deltas .
I would also continue to support them.

May 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #17,570 of 24,683
I have Hyperions (well now given to my step daughter), Vyrus 2 & Master. All are excellent products for the price. I have on pre order Icarus 3 & 4 and am looking forward to hearing those.

May 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #17,571 of 24,683
I've never had terrible problems with afixing tips to Trinity products, a bit more effort, but hardly any for me. It's very easy to put them on while the filters are on their flat plates (holders). I have found that tip selection truly matters with the Masters

May 25, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #17,573 of 24,683

I actually wrote up an email to them post-survey... Gave them my impressions on stuff the survey didn't cover. :\ I'm overzealous sometimes.

May 25, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #17,578 of 24,683
@Miko 7
Hey man, sorry, didn't want to quote the whole post but I just had a thought:
How tall is the black foam insert?
If you're willing to experiment, how about cutting a set of the black foam inserts in half (cross-sectionally) to reduce their height by half?

Then try the filters again with only half the damping; maybe it could solve all the issues!

May 25, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #17,580 of 24,683
Any comparisons between the Masters and Hunters yet?

Thinking about buying the Hunters.

There is no comparison, both have a very different sound.In my opinion, the Hunters are in a class of their own. The PM6 (I assume you mean that rather than the Master as that would be a rather pointless comparison) is more technical and clinical sounding. The Hunters on the other hand are warmer sounding but still able to extract bags of detail. This is due I think to the vector chamber which gives the sound a lovely natural reverb like you would get out of high end speakers. The bass goes to astounding depths, much deeper that the PM6, which puts a grim on my face ever time (I use the silver filters). It is a nice natural controlled bass though, not some wooly mess. All in all I would say that given the £100 price difference between the two, it is actually a bargain. I would definitely put it in the TOTL category. With both PM6 and Hunter, you need to use a filter with a damper as the treble can run a bit hot on the undamped filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back