TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #17,552 of 24,683
Does that mean that they will not do the open closed headphones?
Is there any other open/close IEM out there?

I have no clue if they'll revisit the open/closed over ears, although I'd like it if they did. As for open/closed IEMs, if I remember correctly, Philips had the Fidelio S1 and S2 which were semi closed with features of both open back and closed back.

May 25, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #17,554 of 24,683
I think it depends on what you expect a "TOTL" sound to actually sound like, I think. They have a very heavy emphasis on detail - it's not necessarily that they are pulling a load more out of the tracks I am listening to than something like my Campfire Andromeda or Vega, but the micro details that are there are more present. They also do very well with spatial cues and "room noise", lending a sense of realism to the sound.

They lean towards the more analytical and crystalline side of things rather than warm and organic for me (presumably why Bob is running the Icarus line, to cover more of that type of sound), so definitely sound more technical than anything else I have heard from Trinity. Whether you deem that the defining factor for a flagship or not is down to preference - they are not as well rounded as the Andromeda for my personal taste, but they offer a few things in terms of staging and crispness which the Andro didn't (and isn't tuned to).

Best example I can give is the difference between the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2 and the Campfire Vega - both are considered TOTL single DD IEMs, both are over $1000, yet the Vega sounds huge and full and the Galaxy is a much sharper, leaner affair with more pronounced detail perception but less body and viscerality as a trade-off. If you listen closely, the Vega still packs in a lot of detail, but presents it differently. This is how I hear the Hunter - something different from the IEMs I currently have access to, but certainly playing in the higher tier of sound with the right filters.

It won't be for everyone, and I think people who prefer brighter sounds will probably enjoy more of what it has to offer, but as I am personally a fan of warmer and darker signatures and can still find plenty of ear time for this piece of gear, that should day something about its overall achievement.

Is it TOTL worthy? For some people it will be, others will find a flaw they can't overlook (probably the sharpness). For me, at the price I paid this is a truly impressive technical achievement, and has that certain something I can't put my finger on that keeps me listening. It's certainly not perfect for everyone, but at £400 paid including 2 8-wire Litz cables (coming soon) I don't think you can fault the value.

As always, YMMV. Members like @Neotribal and a few other more vocal thread posters are starting to receive them now, so you should get a general consensus starting to appear soon.

Given your description, the Hunter would be right for me, considering if I am able to hear similarily. I did look at the two CA IEM's mentioned and the Andromeda would have fit my preferance , but huge price differance. And for those prices would expect a custom. I do have somewhat of a concern for too much brightness, as I notice that with the Master. But have been able to tame it better with the proper tip for my ears.

May 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #17,557 of 24,683
Said I would still support them. Not a bit interested in open back IEMs. Have the open back Bower & Wilkins C5. Never use them. My main IEM uses are portability and or isolation. Rarely in portable use is the environment quiet enough for open back. I usually prefer using the Venture Electronics Monk+ if portability and no isolation is required. Just more comfortable.

For serious home listening IEMs are rarely used. My over ear Mitchell & Johnson electret dynamic hybrid headphones are closed back. They isolate well ( won't quite match IEMs) at home. They sound better than any of my IEMs.

I would like an IEM designed differently than most. Run a very good dynamic driver nearly full range. Use a crossover to add a 2nd dynamic super tweeter to add sparkle. Talking 8-10K crossover point. Dynamic drivers can extend as high as BA. They just have to be built to do it vs playing bass. Done correctly this should give very natural sound that is very coherent. A fully dynamic driver 2 way.

May 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #17,558 of 24,683
So I decided to weigh the IEMs using a very basic set of digital scales (not professionally calibrated). It goes without saying that this is very unscientific, but it might give you an idea. The first weight is a single IEM with cable attached but the cable is not on the scales and a filter and kombi tip on also (as there is no way to detach the cable from the master). I also weighed those with a detachable cable by themselves, but there was no measurable difference in the results. The second weight is both IEMs and the standard cable, i.e. the entire headphone set.

1st 2nd
------------------------------------------------------
Vyrus 3 grams 15 grams
Sabre 4 grams 19 grams
PM4 5 grams 21 grams
Hunter 7 grams 24 grams
PM6 8 grams 25 grams
Master 10 grams 37 grams

May 25, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #17,560 of 24,683
I have no clue if they'll revisit the open/closed over ears, although I'd like it if they did. As for open/closed IEMs, if I remember correctly, Philips had the Fidelio S1 and S2 which were semi closed with features of both open back and closed back.

Saw these the other day.. But can't find out much about them... Only one person leaving reviews. The "Adjustable Bass Port" probably goes from open to closed and in-between, to adjust bass?

Ultraudio added 2 new photos to the album: The N12.
April 26 at 1:56pm ·
TWELVE DRIVER: The U12 is comprised of 12 drivers that work in perfect harmony to deliver a remarkably rich and immersive sound with impeccable spatial imaging. The U12 will reveal undiscovered layers of sounds that you couldn't hear with conventional IEM's.
A bass adjustable port is available so you can be the tune the sound. If you are a bass head you can get a huge amount of slam yet at the same time monitoring fans will enjoy the ability to dial that bass right down to almost flat neutral level. We pushed the limits with innovation and design to fit such a driver package in a custom earphone and are thrilled to finally drop this bomb on the in-ear monitor industry.

May 25, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #17,561 of 24,683
I would like an IEM designed differently than most. Run a very good dynamic driver nearly full range. Use a crossover to add a 2nd dynamic super tweeter to add sparkle. Talking 8-10K crossover point. Dynamic drivers can extend as high as BA. They just have to be built to do it vs playing bass. Done correctly this should give very natural sound that is very coherent. A fully dynamic driver 2 way.

Wow! That sounds amazing! Let's start a petition now (just as soon as everyone's got their IEM's lol) :D

To address an earlier question, does the ADEL module used in certain IEM's count as a open/closed bass port?

May 25, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #17,563 of 24,683
Guaranteed? Otherwise, they can't move forward because the need the feedback. How else would they know how to run a business?!?!

In all fairness, the first question in the survey asked how would you rate your Trinity product? Um well stupid question for some like me who did receive the survey but have nothing in hand yet and still waiting to get it. They should of maybe waited a little longer to send this survey out before asking disgruntled users what they think of a product they are still waiting for. Kind of ruins the rest of the survey to try to answer.

Just my stupid opinion.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #17,564 of 24,683
To address an earlier question, does the ADEL module used in certain IEM's count as a open/closed bass port?
ADEL is more like open-back headphones and their effect on the bass response is for similar reasons. That is why ADEL has reduced sound isolation. ie. it is separate from the open or closed nature of the bass port. That's how I understand it anyway.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #17,565 of 24,683
In all fairness, the first question in the survey asked how would you rate your Trinity product? Um well stupid question for some like me who did receive the survey but have nothing in hand yet and still waiting to get it. They should of maybe waited a little longer to send this survey out before asking disgruntled users what they think of a product they are still waiting for. Kind of ruins the rest of the survey to try to answer.

Just my stupid opinion.

Can I ask what your waiting on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back