TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Apr 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #738 of 1,582
BobA with all the way on gold filter, fit issue with Auvio and spin fit and spiral dot. What I'm saying is the included foam seems to be the only way to go for me. But I will add that the masters are miles better than what I expected. Can't wait for balanced cable!

Honestly I'm not so sure we'll see any balanced cables after the fiasco with the case and "bonus" tips (spinfits or kombis). It appears they've pulled back on extras without notice which I found rather grating.

All that said yes the Masters with gold filters are phenomenal.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #739 of 1,582
Honestly I'm not so sure we'll see any balanced cables after the fiasco with the case and "bonus" tips (spinfits or kombis). It appears they've pulled back on extras without notice which I found rather grating.

All that said yes the Masters with gold filters are phenomenal.

I tend to agree, but if those were supposed to be provided initially then they should honor that.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #740 of 1,582
Looking closely at the Masters, I do not think it will be possible to implement a balanced cable for it. The connector at the y-split is a female 3.5mm TRS, meaning the grounds have already been tied together at that point. In order to use a balanced cable, the connector would need to be a female 3.5mm TRRS with the channel grounds still separated. Does this sound logical?

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #741 of 1,582
Where did you get that cable?
Strangely VEClan.com, Wild Lee is doing all sorts of cables and i/c on there at excellent price too!

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #743 of 1,582
Looking closely at the Masters, I do not think it will be possible to implement a balanced cable for it. The connector at the y-split is a female 3.5mm TRS, meaning the grounds have already been tied together at that point. In order to use a balanced cable, the connector would need to be a female 3.5mm TRRS with the channel grounds still separated. Does this sound logical?
No it's a balanced 3.5 female connector.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #746 of 1,582
Because you can connect a Single Ended connection to a balanced one but not the other way around. Plus Bob mentioned it several times early on when the modular cable system was introduced.
No, that is not correct. I believe you have that reversed. A single-ended cable cannot be connected to a balanced source because the channel grounds in the single-ended cable are common and would short the R- and L- balanced outputs. Furthermore, an adapter would be required because TRS and TRRS connectors are not interchangeable.

However, the opposite is indeed possible, to connect a balanced cable to a single-ended source. An adapter is required, such as the FiiO L26. Since the supplied cable with the Master is TRS on both ends, one can only assume that the connector at the y-split is single-ended only. If the connector were indeed balanced as you say, the supplied cable would be TRRS on one end. A balanced version of the cable would be TRRS on both ends.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #747 of 1,582
That's exactly what I said. The Masters are balanced all the way from the earpieces to the female 3.5mm connector. You can connect either a single ended or balanced cable. If they were wired single ended you couldn't connect a balanced cable to it.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #748 of 1,582
That's exactly what I said. The Masters are balanced all the way from the earpieces to the female 3.5mm connector. You can connect either a single ended or balanced cable. If they were wired single ended you couldn't connect a balanced cable to it.
No, that's not what you said. You said that a single-ended cable could be connected to a balanced output, which is not correct. That cannot work. Regardless, that is not necessarily the issue here.

Yes, the Masters are balanced from the earpieces to the female 3.5mm connector, but the R- and L- wires are tied together at that point because it is a TRS connection. It is a TRS connection because the supplied cable is TRS on both ends. TRS and TRRS connectors are not interchangeable. You cannot connect a TRRS male connector to a TRS female connector or vice versa. Therefore, since the female connector is TRS by definition, you will never be able to achieve a true balanced connection from the earpieces to a balanced source because the earpiece grounds are common at the y-split.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #749 of 1,582
No, that's not what you said. You said that a single-ended cable could be connected to a balanced output, which is not correct. That cannot work. Regardless, that is not necessarily the issue here.

Yes, the Masters are balanced from the earpieces to the female 3.5mm connector, but the R- and L- wires are tied together at that point because it is a TRS connection. It is a TRS connection because the supplied cable is TRS on both ends. TRS and TRRS connectors are not interchangeable. You cannot connect a TRRS male connector to a TRS female connector or vice versa. Therefore, since the female connector is TRS by definition, you will never be able to achieve a true balanced connection from the earpieces to a balanced source because the earpiece grounds are common at the y-split.
I didn't say you can connect a single ended cable to a balanced output. I said you can connect a single ended cable to a balanced cable. Just like when you have a balanced cable on headphones you connect an balanced to single ended adapter to use with a single ended output. Like I said before Bob said it was balanced down to the female connector. I don't know how he wired it so I'm just passing info to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back