TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,997 of 2,185

You could get some background noise when listening while charging. Anyway with NX1A featuring 150 hours of playback time, you don't need to have it plugged in all the time.

Yeah, for sure, NX1A is pretty bad-ass with its 150 hours, but NX1 is not so far behind with its 120 hours. I can't find NX1A in my country, so I think NX1 will do the job. Thanks for the help.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,000 of 2,185
FYI, NX-1 drives all my headphones to high enough levels, except AKG K612 Pro which does indeed require a much more powerful amp.

My Xonar ST and also my integrated Sony stereo amp(TA-FB940R) has no problems driving the AKG:s. So, do not use NX-1 with AKG K6*,K7* or Q7*, pretty much all other "normal" headphones works just fine.

My experience varies. For a couple of years I put off buying the K612 because of posts like this saying that the Topping Nx-1 was too weak to drive the K612. I eventually bought the K612 and a Cayin C5, which easily drove them on low gain setting. I then swapped over to the NX-1 on high gain and found the sound cleaner and less warm than the C5. The volume was obviously lower through the NX-1, but I preferred the sound. I can hear details clearly and the soundstage is fine. Perhaps it's because I don't want to listen at high volume. My only regret is that I delayed my purchase of these excellent headphones based on the advice and experience of several posters like you whose opinion I respect. Sometimes it is best to just take the plunge and find out for oneself. I am so glad that I did

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,001 of 2,185
Have had the nx1a a week and literally my only gripe is how bad the interference is from 4g,so much so I've completely given up pairing with my phone. I'm on O2 in UK so connecting at 800mhz and the interference is abysmal compared to Fiio E06, so I'd be wary if you're planning on using with phone at similar frequency, not sure if other ranges are impacted as badly. Other than that is a spot on little neutral amp, and battery life is just incredible.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,002 of 2,185
I'm somewhat suspicious of the specs on this. Sure, it sounds amazing, especially detailed mids and highs but there isn't much gain. Something fishy about an amp using a small 3.5v lithium battery lasting 300 hours. I suspect its more of a buffer. Works best with highly efficient headphones.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,003 of 2,185
I'm somewhat suspicious of the specs on this. Sure, it sounds amazing, especially detailed mids and highs but there isn't much gain. Something fishy about an amp using a small 3.5v lithium battery lasting 300 hours. I suspect its more of a buffer. Works best with highly efficient headphones.

Battery life is indeed hard to believe. But 6dB (on the "low" setting) isn't much gain? I think it combines well with a weak source or not so efficient headphones. For me it works great with a weak source and not so efficient headphones, but I don't listen at high volume.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,004 of 2,185

All the specs I've seen suggest 150hrs, from a 1000mah battery. In comparison the Fiio E6 (my previous headphone amp) specs were 10hrs from 160mah, if specs are right that would mean the NX1A would need to have over double the efficiency of the E6. I don't honestly know how feasible that is but know from vaping different cells even with the same mah rating can have very different life at the same output current, so if the NX1A is more efficient I suppose 150hrs is not unreasonable, honestly couldn't say but from other people's experiences battery life seems exceptional and it certainly is loud enough for me, though I haven't used anything remotely hard to drive.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,005 of 2,185
Hello there! I'm thinking to get the nx1a to amp the aux line in my car and wonder if it will work. My car has a very weak aux-in therefore I have to both increase my phone vol and well as the radio vol significanfly.

I wonder if I could tuck the nx1a in the glove box with a "always on" configuration - I.e. Have the nx1a vol knob and power turned on, and a USB charger always connected. This way whenever car is turned on, the amp will be on. One thing I'm not sure is that if the battery went completely empty (note the amp will be left on after shutting down the car, since the power switch is always in the ON position), will starting the car and running charging current turn on the unit automatically? Or a "reset" (by turning off and turning on the unit) is required?

Thanks all.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #2,006 of 2,185
Hello there! I'm thinking to get the nx1a to amp the aux line in my car and wonder if it will work. My car has a very weak aux-in therefore I have to both increase my phone vol and well as the radio vol significanfly.

I wonder if I could tuck the nx1a in the glove box with a "always on" configuration - I.e. Have the nx1a vol knob and power turned on, and a USB charger always connected. This way whenever car is turned on, the amp will be on. One thing I'm not sure is that if the battery went completely empty (note the amp will be left on after shutting down the car, since the power switch is always in the ON position), will starting the car and running charging current turn on the unit automatically? Or a "reset" (by turning off and turning on the unit) is required?

Thanks all.

It would work I suppose, but is there anything wrong with increasing volume on your phone and head unit or does it still not get loud enough? You'd find given it has such amazing battery life that you'd probably never drain it as it will just top up each time the USB charger is enabled. Except when you don't use the car for a week or so then it would drain, but presumably power back on when the ignition is engaged.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,007 of 2,185
It would work I suppose, but is there anything wrong with increasing volume on your phone and head unit or does it still not get loud enough? You'd find given it has such amazing battery life that you'd probably never drain it as it will just top up each time the USB charger is enabled. Except when you don't use the car for a week or so then it would drain, but presumably power back on when the ignition is engaged.

Increasing vol on phone / radio to a certain level would create a noise / hum in the background, and worse yet, if I forgot to turn down the volume, switching from aux to CD / radio will blow me up :)

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #2,008 of 2,185
I think the phenomenal battery life of the NX1/A makes it the best choice for what you want to do.

There is no boot reboot issue as it is just an analog amp. You'd have to leave the car switched off for more than a week to completely drain the NX1/A's battery. Even if the battery is flat, it should be up and functioning within a few seconds of receiving a charge current.

Your only problem, as far as I can see, is that you'd have to spend a lot of time driving the car to fully charge the amp.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,009 of 2,185
Have had the nx1a a week and literally my only gripe is how bad the interference is from 4g,so much so I've completely given up pairing with my phone. I'm on O2 in UK so connecting at 800mhz and the interference is abysmal compared to Fiio E06, so I'd be wary if you're planning on using with phone at similar frequency, not sure if other ranges are impacted as badly. Other than that is a spot on little neutral amp, and battery life is just incredible.

That should show you how much interference your body is getting from your cell phone. :) Leave it at home sometimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back