The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,426 of 1,456
  Not as far and wide as I'd like.  I wanted to go to the Yucatan this year, but a neck issue nixed that.  Next year, I'm thinking Labrador.

While it may be legal to use headphones or iems while driving, I am pretty sure it is not legal to let your dog drive any vehicle, let alone a motorcycle!   
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,428 of 1,456
Jul 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,429 of 1,456
Maybe I should just give up finding the ultimate audiophile player and get a Sony. I was content enough with them back in the day.

There is not, nor will there ever be, an ultimate - just top-tier stuff where you pays your money and picks your trade-offs.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,430 of 1,456
I disagree, some DAPs available now or in the near future will be the "Ultimate" in some peoples eyes, having all the features they desire. 
Not everyone really needs "all" possible features in the same DAP (like Wifi Bluetooth Optical and Coaxial outs)
"All" i need is a sweet sound to IEMs, a user friendly Ui, changeable storage, and decent battery with good build quality.
(considering Cowon Plenue but waiting for Fiio X7 release)

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,431 of 1,456
  I disagree, some DAPs available now or in the near future will be the "Ultimate" in some peoples eyes, having all the features they desire. 
Not everyone really needs "all" possible features in the same DAP (like Wifi Bluetooth Optical and Coaxial outs)
"All" i need is a sweet sound to IEMs, a user friendly Ui, changeable storage, and decent battery with good build quality.
(considering Cowon Plenue but waiting for Fiio X7 release)

I think you are actually agreeing with me   
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #1,432 of 1,456
The truth is, there's no ultimate anything in audio, well not absolute or forever endgame. This hobby highly revolves around curiosity and building immunity to performance levels over time. All you do by upgrading is set a new standard you have to beat, up the game. Within a few months that endgame DAP or IEM just sounds normal, less and less wow factor as you build immunity to the sound and performance.

Shortly after your back on Head-fi, back in the saddle looking for more, that upgrade. Then add on top of all this how quickly new DAP's come out now, there simply no end, for anyone.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,433 of 1,456
I think the AK Jr is currently the most reasonable offering, I hope to see AK take the same approach in the future. It is over-priced if you see it based on Australian figure value but for 400 USD I feel positively about it. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,435 of 1,456
  I think the AK Jr is currently the most reasonable offering, I hope to see AK take the same approach in the future. It is over-priced if you see it based on Australian figure value but for 400 USD I feel positively about it. 

According to the A&K rep in the video with Tyler, this external DAC is a A&K100 without a display and storage.
That's what he said.
rolleyes.gif

So I get a 5.7” Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560 x1440) Display to play with (which is fun,fast,easy cuz it has 3 gigs or ram too) and can still get a WM8740 putting the final touches on the sound.

The jr has about as much space as an old ipod nano and the album thumbnails are so small as to be useless

This is album art..

If you can hear the difference between Red Book and Hi-Res then I get it. I don't get it personally though.

44.1 kHz

44.1 kHz (44100 Hz) is the sampling rate of audio CDs giving a 20 kHz maximum frequency. 20 kHz is the highest frequency generally audible by humans, so making 44.1 kHz the logical choice for most audio material. High quality tape decks using metal tape, and medium quality LP equipment can reproduce 20 kHz (higher for top quality LP equipment, though some of this is harmonic distortion inherent in the medium). Note that the upper limit of human hearing falls rapidly with age. While people in their teens can hear 20 kHz, many older people cannot hear above 14.5kHz.

The FiiO X7 would seem to be worth it's 700 bucks more than the little guy is worth (A&Kjr) 500 bucks.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,436 of 1,456
The truth is, there's no ultimate anything in audio, well not absolute or forever endgame. This hobby highly revolves around curiosity and building immunity to performance levels over time. All you do by upgrading is set a new standard you have to beat, up the game. Within a few months that endgame DAP or IEM just sounds normal, less and less wow factor as you build immunity to the sound and performance.

Shortly after your back on Head-fi, back in the saddle looking for more, that upgrade. Then add on top of all this how quickly new DAP's come out now, there simply no end, for anyone.

I don't know, I'm still pretty consistently impressed with my T-peos H-300 when hooked up to my v-moda vamp verza and I've had them for a year :p.

Headphones are another story though, I haven't really ever been impressed by any headphones that I've tried.

Endgame really hasn't changed a ton though, most of the top of the line speakers are still where they are today, I think the biggest change is IEMs.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,437 of 1,456
I don't know, I'm still pretty consistently impressed with my T-peos H-300 when hooked up to my v-moda vamp verza and I've had them for a year :p.

Headphones are another story though, I haven't really ever been impressed by any headphones that I've tried.

Endgame really hasn't changed a ton though, most of the top of the line speakers are still where they are today, I think the biggest change is IEMs.

I think the only genuine way to complete an ultimate DAP, IEM or headphone setup is to leave Head-fi (seriously). Once I turn my computer off I'd be more than content with the majority of my gear for a much longer period of time.

Blame Head-fi.

#easywayout

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,439 of 1,456
I think the only genuine way to complete an ultimate DAP, IEM or headphone setup is to leave Head-fi (seriously). Once I turn my computer off I'd be more than content with the majority of my gear for a much longer period of time.

Blame Head-fi.

#easywayout

It's true though.  When at work and no internet access, I slip on a pair of iems hooked up to a rockboxed clip plus, hit play and I'm good to go for an hour or so at a time. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,440 of 1,456
Or the other way of doing it which is they way I've gone, is to go TOTL on everything, I've spent more money cycling around mid tier gear than I have by saving and going to the top of the tree...

I highly doubt that today's TOTL will be tomorrow's mid tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back