The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 7, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,036 of 5,761
Honestly, it is not the ZH1Es fault, more like the Z1R fault. zH1Es is beautiful with Utopia for that matter
biggrin.gif

Sounds good. Maybe in some point I will sell my HD800 and buy Utopia to enjoy Holy Trinity of Z1R, Utopia and ZH1ES
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,039 of 5,761

Thanks Daroid. Not going to use those analog inputs though, but instead planning it to be the one and only workhorse between Z1R and PC. What I've heard is that Hugo2 may sound even better than TT so that's why I was interested in it. TT is currently out of my budget. Also I'm going to sit right in front of the desk all the time so I won't have that long chord -issue. Also along with "proper" desktop unit you are always paying extra for more inputs and outputs that I'm not going to need. Just want the most enjoyable sound with 2500€, Z1R and PC - preferably in a "compact" (ie. not several components that occupy a lot of desk space) package.

Good to hear (again) that ZH1ES works for somebody and that someone is questioning the missing star. After listening Z1R with 10+ different sources, I'm now convinced that our friends from Sony know something about sound. But still, why is not everybody with Z1Rs screaming and buying ZH1ESs? :)

I think a Hugo 2 TT would be in the works too, and this is what you should probably wait for, if you were considering a Hugo TT today, but it was out of my price range too - and being a 95% Hugo, it is hard to see where the money really went. On the other hand, they are pricing equipment at the amount people still want to pay, and apparently people with desktop setups are willing to spend more money than people seeking a more portable setup.

I think that the reason why people with Z1R or Sony headphones in general don't fly out and buy the ZH1 is the same reason why a lot of people don't just buy their Beyerdynamic T1 with the Beyerdynamic A1 amp or Sennheiser HD800/S owners don't just blindly buy the HDVD800. It is the boring, non-exotic route. One could also say that choosing a combined dac/amp makes the system harder to upgrade than a system with a dedicated amp and dedicated DAC. Not that I really understand the latter argument, because you're forced to pay more than you pay for the ZH1 for either the DAC or the amp to get something that is better - See Purk's opinion previously in this thread.

I guess you could in theory order both the Hugo an ZH1 and return the one you don't want using the store's return policy? The shops may even offer a demo unit you can borrow/rent?
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,040 of 5,761
Yes the Hugo TT seems to be overpriced at $4,700 compared to the Hugo 2 and the new one will cost more.

The failure to upgrade the TT at the same time has caused confusion in the the marketplace;  a real faux pas on Chord's part.   

John Darko by the way ( http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/) compared my DAC, the Aqua LaScala II to the Hugo TT and according to him the LaScala was better. So I lost all interest in buying the TT. If I could find a used one at a bargain price,  I might be interested. It does has some very nice features. It is relatively portable and it has a much better PSU than the Hugo, 

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,041 of 5,761

The failure to upgrade the TT at the same time has caused confusion in the the marketplace;  a real faux pas on Chord's part.   

Call it what you like. They are not really a large company and I don't think they have the capacity to upgrade everything at the same time.

The thing I am waiting for is the Mojo2.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,042 of 5,761
  John Darko by the way ( http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/) compared my DAC, the Aqua LaScala II to the Hugo TT and according to him the LaScala was better. So I lost all interest in buying the TT. If I could find a used one at a bargain price,  I might be interested. It does has some very nice features. It is relatively portable and it has a much better PSU than the Hugo, 

That might very well be the case. Not saying that Chord do not deserve their praise, but sometimes it "masks" the other relatively unknown products out there which are just as good or better. Not a Chord fan myself simply due to their futuristic (in my eyes lack of taste) design. But luckily we all have different taste. But that horrendous split chassis that leaves a visible horizontal line right in the middle of everything.... Arrgh!

Back to the Sony:

Anyone know of a setup guide to get DSD working in Foobar2k? I have installed AsioProxy, but am only getting sound in DoP mode, which can't be right, or can it?

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,044 of 5,761
Me too. I suspect that the Sony is a solid 5 star product with the three prong mod.
I'm pretty sure that the extra prong Whitigir added wasn't connected, so it was still a two prong connection.

I'm also pretty sure Sony knew what they were doing when they made it two prong.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,045 of 5,761
I'm pretty sure that the extra prong Whitigir added wasn't completely connected,so it was still a two prong connection.

I'm also pretty sure Sony knew what they were doing when they made it two prong.

Yes. I only wanted to upgrade to better wires and socket quality :)

Yes, they do :D

Still selling mine if anyone want it. Need to fund my next Stax project :xf_eek:

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,046 of 5,761
I seem to recall seeing a comment that the TA-ZH1ES volume knob rotates when the remote is used to control volume.

Mine doesn't.

Doesn't bother me but should it?

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,049 of 5,761
thanatosguan on page 8 of this thread reports that it does rotate with remote.

"
Well the volume knob is click-less like the aperture/iris ring on a cinema lens. Volume level is directly shown on the screen and therefore there's no stop when you've reached infinity. This design is a bit idiosyncratic.

Of course the knob magically rotates when you use the remote : )  Always loved this feature."

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,050 of 5,761
  thanatosguan on page 8 of this thread reports that it does rotate with remote.

"
Well the volume knob is click-less like the aperture/iris ring on a cinema lens. Volume level is directly shown on the screen and therefore there's no stop when you've reached infinity. This design is a bit idiosyncratic.

Of course the knob magically rotates when you use the remote : )  Always loved this feature."

I just checked mine again and it does not rotate the volume knob with the remote. Maybe an early unit? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back