The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,051 of 1,101
The (still) lack of hi-fi streaming, the burden of that on bandwidth in general, and (perhaps more importantly) the missing artists and records on platforms means one have to subscribe to a few different platforms to have all the music he wants.............all that means streaming shall face a downfall sooner or later UNLESS one platform (or at most two) standout, clears the market by merger or simply strangling the surviving competitors, and centralizes everything. Which won't happen in the foreseeable future.

Before that I'm very happy with Sony's approach.
That's the primary reason I still use an offline FLAC library

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,053 of 1,101
WARNING ABOUT SONY. I spent $1200 on the Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 when it came out in early 2015. It came with Android 4.2.2 and is still running 4.2.2. I have contacted Sony several times through many channels about upgrading the version of Android that the device is running but Sony absolutely refuses to upgrade Android on their own Walkman device. It's not like they don't have the knowledge; Sony has Android phones and tablets which they do update. They've just decided that those of us who spent the $1200 on the NW-ZX2 aren't worth the trouble. As Android advances and apps are adapted to the new versions of Android, app comparability is starting to become a problem. Get this: Sony's own Android app "Sony Music Center", which replaced Song Pal - which is no longer available - will not install on Android 4.2.2 showing error message " Your device isn't compatible with this version". It's Sony's own hardware and software! This new Walkman NW-WM1Z does not run on Android. It runs on proprietary software. That will limit your audio source choices and you still have no guarantee at all if you're going to get any firmware or software. Stay away from Sony's audio devices. They'll burn you. It's not worth it especially considering that the NW-WM1Z costs $3200. There are other brands and devices out there. You don't need Sony. Look elsewhere.

.The Android code : hasn't it been modified for the device?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,055 of 1,101
God...no, the WM Walkman is running Walkman OS, a Sony own operation system for Walkman....no android

It is the almost perfect UI. Almost. If only it got a more usable play by folder function.............

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,061 of 1,101
Hey fellas, does anyone know where I might pick up an adapter/converter/tails that will go from 4.4mm TRRRS to 3.5mm TRS?
I have a couple of cables with the new 4.4 plugs that I would like to use in other gear with 3.5mm ports

Cheers :D

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,063 of 1,101
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,064 of 1,101
After all the controversy surrounding the NW-WM1A I decided to succumb and purchased. Given my many years of experience with Sony's high end Walkman's and their long term quality. Yes, it is woefully under-powered. However, with balanced output (high gain setting) and a well chosen headphone it can be acceptable. The SQ is very good to my aged ears and the UI is intuitive, simple, and quick. What I miss and is an inexcusable omission, is an analog line-out. Any suggestions for using the unbalance out and estimating what a normal line-out level setting would be? Of course, this depends on the output load impedance which is most likely quite different than a "standardized" line out but I would like to approach it as closely as possible.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,065 of 1,101
After all the controversy surrounding the NW-WM1A I decided to succumb and purchased. Given my many years of experience with Sony's high end Walkman's and their long term quality. Yes, it is woefully under-powered. However, with balanced output (high gain setting) and a well chosen headphone it can be acceptable. The SQ is very good to my aged ears and the UI is intuitive, simple, and quick. What I miss and is an inexcusable omission, is an analog line-out. Any suggestions for using the unbalance out and estimating what a normal line-out level setting would be? Of course, this depends on the output load impedance which is most likely quite different than a "standardized" line out but I would like to approach it as closely as possible.

Hmmmm what cans did you try it on?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back