The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #11,101 of 11,341
Still thinking Z1R is good but not worth the price?
amazon jp jpy$178000 -> USD$1585.56, per my previous purchase from the site.
The price includes tax (5%?) so it will be deducted at checkout, but it will add shipping.
You have to create a new account, it is separate from US site.
Good luck, proceed on your own risk.
(don't burn me, us dealers, and don't start again those fights from before ...a.uk)

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #11,102 of 11,341
Still thinking Z1R is good but not worth the price?
amazon jp jpy$178000 -> USD$1585.56, per my previous purchase from the site.
The price includes tax (5%?) so it will be deducted at checkout, but it will add shipping.
You have to create a new account, it is separate from US site.
Good luck, proceed on your own risk.
(don't burn me, us dealers, and don't start again those fights from before ...a.uk)
I don't think you'll get burned, US $1600 looks like it leaves some margin on the bones. The Amazon UK prices were stupidly cheap, virtually dealer cost, and at a time when the Z1R was hot off the press.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #11,103 of 11,341
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #11,104 of 11,341
The entire Sony Signature Series has some of the most detailed development interviews I've seen for these sorts of audiophile products and I love reading all of them - whether it is the new Walkman, the headphone amp, or the Z1R. Even Sony's own internal PR interviews are very informative and it's a pity that they don't translate them officially into English, because as far as I can see, part of the issue with Sony's image is that they appear to be very disconnected and apathetic with the overseas audience, and the complete lack of vital and interesting information (especially regarding the product development cycle, which would also convey their intentions and goals for their products) in an easily accessible language is only hurting their image, and ultimately, their product, even further.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #11,105 of 11,341
Very interesting articles. The second one shows a headphone stand made by the Japanese company Deff specifically for the Z1R - item DST-ZHP2AL.

Me want - anyone have any ideas how to get one sent to the States? Googling has only showed it sold by the Sony store

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #11,106 of 11,341
Very interesting articles. The second one shows a headphone stand made by the Japanese company Deff specifically for the Z1R - item DST-ZHP2AL.

Me want - anyone have any ideas how to get one sent to the States? Googling has only showed it sold by the Sony store

Do you mean the DST-HP2AL? There is an AW version on Amazon Japan. The AL version seems to be Sony only, but some are showing up on Yahoo Auctions and at e-earphone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #11,107 of 11,341
Yes the AL Sony version - the one which has the plate the headband rests on covered in leather. I have seen it currently sold at the Sony Japan online store.
Curious if there is an easy way for me to buy it (I'm Stateside)

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #11,108 of 11,341
Chillin' with my Z1Rs on and catching up with the thread.
Good to hear from everyone! I see there hasn't been too many unwanted guests...haha.
Listening to couple of songs I love on my Z1Rs:

Philosophy by Baio
Sunny by Papa Ya

Hope you have tidal.
Sound better with my Z1Rs than anything else I own.
Even the Utopias sound a bit thin in the lows. Yes, even with Elear pads.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #11,109 of 11,341
The entire Sony Signature Series has some of the most detailed development interviews I've seen for these sorts of audiophile products and I love reading all of them - whether it is the new Walkman, the headphone amp, or the Z1R. Even Sony's own internal PR interviews are very informative and it's a pity that they don't translate them officially into English, because as far as I can see, part of the issue with Sony's image is that they appear to be very disconnected and apathetic with the overseas audience, and the complete lack of vital and interesting information (especially regarding the product development cycle, which would also convey their intentions and goals for their products) in an easily accessible language is only hurting their image, and ultimately, their product, even further.
Interesting read.It's hard not to be impressed by the works done by these people, the real brain of this industry. To me personally, its money worth spent.

p/s-google translate is your friend

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/600821.html

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/1029839.html

It seems to me now that the Japanese (Asian?) ear and the Caucasian ear are specified and measure very differently. Could this be why the headphone reviews are so polarising? In future we'll match our preferences to the reviewer's DNA! :laughing:

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #11,110 of 11,341
Chillin' with my Z1Rs on and catching up with the thread.
Good to hear from everyone! I see there hasn't been too many unwanted guests...haha.
Listening to couple of songs I love on my Z1Rs:

Philosophy by Baio
Sunny by Papa Ya

Hope you have tidal.
Sound better with my Z1Rs than anything else I own.
Even the Utopias sound a bit thin in the lows. Yes, even with Elear pads.
You are in trouble now, you dared to suggest that one can possibly enjoy certain aspects of the Z1R more than the Utopia. That is sacrilege, don't you realize that the Utopia is without compromise:wink:. Just joking, but it is refreshing to hear something favorable about the Z1R as compared with the Utopia. Unfairly or not, I find people do tend to compare the two.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #11,111 of 11,341
Are the Sony z1r any good for rock and pop music? I mostly listen to bands like AC/DC, 90's grunge, top 40 and so on.

My current setup is erc-3 - > schiit yggy - > schiit rag - > oppo pm2. Balanced connection from start to finish.

Sadly, the pm2 is the only headphone I've heard on this setup so idk where to go from here. I find the pm2 to sound great but the imaging and soundstage are lacking.

Would the z1r be a good match to my system and music I listen to or would a different TOTL headphone be better?

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #11,112 of 11,341
Are the Sony z1r any good for rock and pop music? I mostly listen to bands like AC/DC, 90's grunge, top 40 and so on.

My current setup is erc-3 - > schiit yggy - > schiit rag - > oppo pm2. Balanced connection from start to finish.

Sadly, the pm2 is the only headphone I've heard on this setup so idk where to go from here. I find the pm2 to sound great but the imaging and soundstage are lacking.

Would the z1r be a good match to my system and music I listen to or would a different TOTL headphone be better?
I have spent years listening to that type of music, and I have to say that in general the recordings are poor enough that trying to make them sound good might be a tough task. I guess it depends on what aspects of such recordings really draw you in. If you want to hear all the crisp edges of the instruments in as much clarity as possible I would think there are better choices out there. If you want to make the music more listenable the Z1R is a great choice, but there are also less expensive options. I will tell you I really like the Onkyo H900M, they are rather very good, affordable, well made and sport a nice 50mm driver so you also get the benefit of air volume movement which I do like for energetic music. The NightOwl by Audioquest is a headphone I am enjoying reading about.

Anyway, the Z1R depending on your preferences certainly could be quite good for your musical choices. I also take it you want to stay with closed headphones? By the way, that is a very nice system. I heard a Yggy/Rag LCD 3 rig at a local meet and it was very nice indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #11,113 of 11,341
I listen to the Utopia for about 20 minutes at a meet last year and they really didn't do much for me to be honest. I prefer the Ether Flows and the Z1R which added together cost about the same as a Utopia but is far more versatile in my opinion (price wasn't a factor in the purchases but variety is the spice of life). Like I said before personal preferences etc etc...

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #11,114 of 11,341

I would say that type of music along with Hip Hop and RnB, are the genre's these headphones are best suited to. Essentially, any kind of modern music that relies on a good amount of bass impact and texture, whilst retaining a comparatively wide sound stage and excellent imaging. As mentioned much earlier in the thread, including multiple in-depth comparisons, I own the HD800, HD800S, T1.1's, now the LCD-3's, and finally also the MDR-Z1R's too, and I actually find the Z1R's the best balanced for the majority of the music I listen to. I do not notice any such annoying 10hz peak, no matter how much I crank them, and if you go by both N00b's and Head.Fi's measurements, barely such a peak even exists. Tyll's measurements are the outlier. See here.

N00b's measurements.

5ca29fc7_Untitled.jpeg

Jude's measurements.

170616_Blog_HeadFiMeasurements_Measurements_HeadFi.jpg

And finally Tyll's measurements.

170616_Blog_HeadFiMeasurements_Measurements_InnerFidelity.jpg

Notice Jude and N00b's measurements roughly line up, Tyll's however do not.

Also, if you compare peaks in the 5k to 20k range, other popular headphones actually have more of a peak than the MDR-Z1R's, which my own experience and comparisons confirm.

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9424466.jpg

Look at the above graph in full context and given the Z1R's added emphasis on bass and other regions, the impact of any such peak is only further limited compared to other prominent headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #11,115 of 11,341
. I do not notice any such annoying 10hz peak, no matter how much I crank them, and if you go by both N00b's and Head.Fi's measurements, barely such a peak even exists. Tyll's measurements are the outlier.

So let me get this straight, you're straight up declaring Tyll's pair to be an outlier as fact based on two measurements? What about the other measurements posted, including Marv and speakerphone?

Let's take two steps back, and just comment on what is being presented, not jump to conclusions. That whole jumping to conclusions is exactly why this whole fiasco started in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back