The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #10,756 of 11,341
Well I am excited, my family wants to go to Tokyo for vacation and Ive been allowed to visit E-Earphone for one day :gs1000smile: - this is a big deal for me, Ive never been in a meet or show. So I will definitely try as many headphones and compare to the Z1R. I am sure I will be overwhelmed - but I will try as much as I can. Cant wait.
You have a Z1R but you selling it? Why ?

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #10,757 of 11,341
Well I am excited, my family wants to go to Tokyo for vacation and Ive been allowed to visit E-Earphone for one day :gs1000smile: - this is a big deal for me, Ive never been in a meet or show. So I will definitely try as many headphones and compare to the Z1R. I am sure I will be overwhelmed - but I will try as much as I can. Cant wait.

I also strongly suggest listening to some of the harder to find items if you've the time. EX1000, EX800ST, anything from the old qualia series, etc. Local japanese brands that you can't find in the US - accoustune etc. They're certainly worth a shot, and it's the kinda stuff you tend to remember more. :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #10,758 of 11,341

To which I will only add Oriolus mk2 :)

Edit: Scratch that, if you're in E-earphones, also give the Crosszone CZ-1 a try, just for something pretty unusual that you won't find easily.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #10,760 of 11,341
You have a Z1R but you selling it? Why ?

Just want to keep trying other stuff - need some cash flow LOL - but I like them, don't get me wrong - basically selling and buying is a way to try different stuff - I had the Aeons and also sold them. Would have preferred a little extra oomph. I would like to give the Ether FLOW C a try. Base on my preferences I am into a warmer, detailed, relaxed sound with oomph and dynamics. So of the closed ones I listened Alpha Dogs, Alpha Primes, Aeons, and Sony. I think I like the Sony the most so far.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #10,761 of 11,341
Just want to keep trying other stuff - need some cash flow LOL - but I like them, don't get me wrong - basically selling and buying is a way to try different stuff - I had the Aeons and also sold them. I would like to give the Ether FLOW C a try. I might keep the Sonys.

Both are such sweet cans. It's almost like you can't go wrong here.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #10,762 of 11,341
I also strongly suggest listening to some of the harder to find items if you've the time. EX1000, EX800ST, anything from the old qualia series, etc. Local japanese brands that you can't find in the US - accoustune etc. They're certainly worth a shot, and it's the kinda stuff you tend to remember more. :)

Thanks for the recommendations

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #10,763 of 11,341
I've just returned from reacquainting myself with the z1r and comparing it to the th900mk2. I listened and compared some other cans while I was there, but i'll post my brief impressions of those in their respective threads.

the z1r sounded much as I remembered it, as did the comparison with the th900mk2. I've provided comparative impressions of both here before so all i'll add is that i really like the z1r. it offers what i'm looking for in a closed can - a warmish, relaxed presentation that doesn't mask the details. if the 10khz peak is there then it's not bothersome to me. it is the most comfortable closed can that I've worn and that's important to me in a headphone.

the th900 is brighter, more lively, has greater clarity and more "air" to my ears. I've always found it to be a very engaging can, dynamic and visceral. the midrange is more recessed than the z1r as I hear it, however. I prefer the th900's bass presentation.

the th900 is a closed can that sounds very much like an open one and the z1r sounds like, well, a closed can. they have very different sound signatures and I could happily own both but I won't be, so I have a decision to make.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #10,764 of 11,341
I've just returned from reacquainting myself with the z1r and comparing it to the th900mk2. I listened and compared some other cans while I was there, but i'll post my brief impressions of those in their respective threads.

the z1r sounded much as I remembered it, as did the comparison with the th900mk2. I've provided comparative impressions of both here previously so all i'll add now is that i really like the z1r. it offers what i'm looking for in a closed can - a warmish, relaxed presentation that doesn't mask the details. if the 10khz peak is there then it's not bothersome to me. it is the most comfortable closed can that I've worn and that's important to me in a headphone.

the th900 is brighter, more lively, has greater clarity and more "air" to my ears. I've always found it to be a very engaging can, dynamic and visceral. the midrange is more recessed than the z1r, however. I prefer the th900's bass presentation.

the th900 is a closed can that sounds very much like an open one and the z1r sounds like, well, a closed-can. they have very different sound signatures and I could happily own both but I won't be, so I have a decision to make.

Spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself (wait a moment......that's a lil' concerning :upside_down:)

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #10,765 of 11,341
I'll guess you didn't actually read my posts, so I'll quote myself to save you the trouble:

...What's our conclusion? Right now, we'll assume that perhaps Tyll has an outlier Sony MDR-Z1R. n=3 across two different measurement setups isn't enough to come to a conclusion...

No, you missed the point of my post. Whether your measurements are right, wrong, representative or not, it is your approach that is the problem. Rather than first reaching out to Tyll to discuss your findings (as he now is to you, and as any reasonable person would), you instead:

a) presume your data is the one truth
b) fail to carry out enough due diligence to realise that Tyll's measurements are corroborated by multiple other sources
c) proceed to plaster your findings over the front page of Head-Fi, authored in a way as to be a direct confrontation to Innerfidelity's data

Imho, you are trying to position yourself as an authority on measurements, which in and of itself is fine* (you have the expensive gear after all). But you are doing this at the expense of another person who also makes a living out of this stuff. Not cool.

You would have done your readership a far better service if you had worked with Tyll to cross measure your samples before posting your findings, as all we are now left with is confusion over what is going on with this headphone.

* edit: Actually, thinking about it a bit further, it isn't really fine at all. You're in a position to influence thousands of people who may well spend serious money based on what you're putting out there. To earn a position of authority on headphone measurements (and I'm led to believe it is a very complex subject), you should be able to demonstrate that you've built up that knowledge, not least before you start waving around your numbers at far more experienced people elsewhere. You've had the measurement gear for two years, and you must have access to just about every headphone known to man...so presumably you have a database of many, many measurements you've already taken whilst learning the ropes..?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #10,767 of 11,341
I didn't make a comparison other than to express my concern with your considerable chastising of a persons post. I know it's easy to misread these posts and that often people don't mean exactly what you interpret their post to say or mean. So to beat it to death seems so unfriendly. I've been on both ends of that kind of thing. As I see things being taken differently than intended I try to change my posts to be realized as friendly comments or informative in a friendly information sharing way. So if your fire alarm post has a purpose go ahead and explain but don't pick on people for their thoughts. So what if they don't match yours or mine or anyone else's. As long as their posts aren't abusive let people say what they think right or wrong. Just my opinion on how to treat others.

I appreciate your concern but I think you are barking up the wrong tree, I'm not the one who keeps insisting people they over-paid for an under-performing headphone in an owner's thread. I'm also only merely asking that person to quantify his opinion, that is not what I would consider chastising.
If you state a fairly pointed opinion (that the headphone is overpriced in the owner's thread), you should expect your opinion to be challenged, and either you are prepared to defend it, or you keep your mouth shut in the first place. You can't drop a bombshell by knowing that you would offend a good majority of the people in thread (by implying they don't know any better and overpaid for under performing gear because another OEM won't make THAT mistake of making poor gear) and then throw up your hand and call foul and say people can't rebut it and must respect that opinion. That's having one's cake and eating it too.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #10,768 of 11,341
No, you missed the point of my post. Whether your measurements are right, wrong, representative or not, it is your approach that is the problem.

You would have done your readership a far better service if you had worked with Tyll to cross measure your samples before posting your findings, as all we are now left with is confusion over what is going on with this headphone.

Please chill, Jude is not a full-time journalist yet and is not subject to such ethical conduct. If he goes along with Tyll's propsal then what's the problem? And he definitely should because even if it proves one of Tyll's points is correct as to the differences in the presentaion of the 10K peak, It's always good to learn from mistakes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #10,770 of 11,341
Please chill, Jude is not a full-time journalist yet and is not subject to such ethical conduct. If he goes along with Tyll's propsal then what's the problem? And he definitely should because even if it proves one of Tyll's points is correct as to the differences in the presentaion of the 10K peak, It's always good to learn from mistakes.
Not subject to such ethical conduct? Maybe politics would be a better choice if Fox News turns him down when he grows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back