The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jun 13, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,041 of 2,481
Same here. I'm not trying to start a feud. I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm just frustrated with them, as many others must be. They seem to actually be surprised by that. And their replies always seem to come across as somewhat arrogant.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,043 of 2,481
Hmmm.... let me just reiterate the past 15 months.... just waiting for packaging, shipping soon, under assembly as we speak, looking to ship by end of month, definitely within 4 weeks, just a couple of bugs to fix, need to upgrade to android 6.0, engraving wooden cases as we speak...............(fill in the blank)

Ad Nauseum....:rage::poop::worried:

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,044 of 2,481
My Fostex HP-P1 died today, so now I need a DAP for use at work ASAP. If I wait 1-2 weeks, does it seem like there is a good chance I'll actually get my Echobox or should I just cut my losses and buy something else?

Some of US have already bought new DAPs....

Read into that what you want..

Worse case scenario, the explorer arrives and you can always sell one

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,048 of 2,481
Today is the day that EB was hoping to have the remaining IGG units completed. They didn't mention anything about testing those units, though. If all went well (which, given EB's track record, would be nothing short of a miracle), we might see some IGG units ship early next week.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,049 of 2,481
Had a quick FB chat with Sam today. I asked about production progress and was upfront about wanting real, solid details regarding what's left to be done before shipping; he said that the factory reported that production is going well, but he also expressed his frustrations with the factory, putting some of the blame on them for the delays we've encountered over the past year. Because the information he's received from the factory throughout this whole journey has been "historically difficult to trust," he didn't want to go into further detail regarding the state of the Explorers and left it at "production is going well." He added that he will relay updates to us when he receives "real, 100% solid information" that he himself has confirmed to be true. He recommends that "we all keep our fingers crossed that production goes well and hope for a notice over the next few days that the Explorers are starting to ship." I appreciated his candor, and I genuinely feel like, at this point, he has done all he can from his end to get these things finished and shipped.

I asked about testing of the units post-assembly, and he explained that they use standardized equipment to ensure that the units are "working," and that standardized testing is "quite thorough." He added that, given the "sheer scale of units being made," they do not have the ability to perform a "comprehensive test where (they) spend quality time listening to and playing with each unit." However, they do perform "random spot checks where (they) test a random unit in a more 'in depth' manner." He further clarified that "testing and packaging occur as part of 'production.'" So that all sounds pretty fair to me.

I asked about shirts, docks, and Tidal codes:
- Shirts are in their US warehouse, and Sam "will be sending those personally to everyone next week."
- Docks will be shipped with the Explorers (I assume IGG backers who already received Explorers will get their docks at the same time as the rest of us, unless they've requested an updated replacement Explorer - in which case, I assume the dock would be sent with the replacement).
- Tidal codes will be sent via email by Sam. He didn't give a date, but I assume they'll be sent when the Explorers start going out, as this would help ensure that backers can actually enjoy Tidal on their Explorers this time around.

Of course, as we all know by this point, everything is subject to change...but I was happy to get a quick and sincere reply from Sam today, and I honestly think he's as frustrated about this whole ordeal as we are. To be sure, he and the team are to blame for much of this, but, at this moment, I appreciate his honesty and am hopeful that we'll actually see some units move within the next week or so.

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,051 of 2,481
Holy smokes, a factory they can't trust, EB isn't on site, only spot testing of random units, what could go wrong?. I don't see this ending well. Reality sure isn't as rosy as it was being made to sound. @silverstare11, nice job getting some candid information, the first time I feel we've really gotten any in some time. Given the overly optimistic spin EB puts on things, "production going well" based on info they can't rely on, things might be much worse than we thought. "Global launch" in 4 days, whatever that actually means anymore.

I'm really shocked that EB engineers aren't at the manufacturing site, everything being said made it sound like at least somebody was there. Any time my company ever had a third party doing manufacturing for us, we always had a technical team there. Even at start ups of new products at our own plants, the team was there. A lot different than "keeping your fingers crossed", that really is an alarming approach. I really have a hard time understanding this company.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #2,052 of 2,481
Hello All,

Having not posted here in some time (I have been away in China), I thought it was time for me to share my thoughts on the current situation.

Everyone has extremely valid reasons to be completely head over heels furious with Echobox, and given our track record we completely deserve that to be honest. I just want people to know that I have always done my best to be honest and transparent with the information I have been given. If the factory tells me "The Explorers are Shipping Out Next Week!", then in the past I would immediately pass that information on to everyone. As you well know, that information was regularly false, and from my end it was beyond frustrating as, upon approaching the ship date, I would contact them saying "where the hell are they?" to be met with either silence or "well, there is another delay" from our engineering team.

I am by no means attempting to be an "Echobox Apologist", and as the face of the company I accept personal responsibility for the delays and poor communication presented over the past two years. I do, however, wish it to be known that there are a few truths of which I am 100% certain of, and of which I possess 100% control over:

1) I am always honest. At no point in my career, and especially not with my time at Echobox, have I ever lied. There have been multiple circumstances where the information I was provided turned out to be inaccurate, however none of these situations were the result of an intentional display of dishonesty. I pride myself on being honest, and will continue to do so no matter how tough the circumstances.

2) I will always work to the full extent of my professional abilities to represent you (our backers) and all future customers. I personally believe in the vision of Echobox, and have worked my tail off for this project to find success. No matter what happens, and even if it doesn't quite seem like it sometimes, I will ALWAYS have your backs.

3) I am always available to be contacted, either via Facebook, or via email at team@eboxaudio.com. I do not have the time to keep up with Head-Fi, and to be honest it is simply not the right place for us to perform official customer service as a company. That being said, anyone can reach me (or our support staff) at any time by emailing or sending a Facebook message.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you as well for your continued patience and understanding, albeit frustrated understanding, as we have worked our way through this difficult process. Let's hope for everyone's sake that this time we truly are at the end of the road, and that sometime soon everyone will be holding their shiny new Explorer DAP's :)

Regards,

Sam McKinney
CCO

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #2,053 of 2,481
Holy smokes, a factory they can't trust, EB isn't on site, only spot testing of random units, what could go wrong?. I don't see this ending well. Reality sure isn't as rosy as it was being made to sound. @silverstare11, nice job getting some candid information, the first time I feel we've really gotten any in some time. Given the overly optimistic spin EB puts on things, "production going well" based on info they can't rely on, things might be much worse than we thought. "Global launch" in 4 days, whatever that actually means anymore.

I'm really shocked that EB engineers aren't at the manufacturing site, everything being said made it sound like at least somebody was there. Any time my company ever had a third party doing manufacturing for us, we always had a technical team there. Even at start ups of new products at our own plants, the team was there. A lot different than "keeping your fingers crossed", that really is an alarming approach. I really have a hard time understanding this company.

Daniel,

Our engineering team IS based full time at our factory, however I am not personally an engineer, so must therefore rely on the information they provide me. I can assure you they have also not intentionally been dishonest, but I also do not disagree they could have handled things better.

Production is ongoing, and I know this for a fact. The speed of that process, however, is not something I am personally sure of, and I rely on our engineering team for this knowledge.

Listen, I agree this process could have been handled better, but I can also assure you we have learned a lot throughout the last two years and are using that new knowledge to better ourselves moving forward.

For now, "fingers crossed" is the best I can personally offer as I am not physically standing in China (although I was physically there for the past 2.5 weeks). Let's all hope production continues to go according to plan, and if it does not, you can count on me providing you with all of the information at my disposal in order to continue a tradition of transparent and honest communication.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,054 of 2,481
Great to finally get a more personal, informative response :thumbsup: hopefully you aren't using "that new knowledge" to come out with a completely new dap in 2 months, so we are left with an outdated one from the start.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,055 of 2,481
Great to finally get a more personal, informative response :thumbsup: hopefully you aren't using "that new knowledge" to come out with a completely new dap in 2 months, so we are left with an outdated one from the start.

Kenny,

We will not be releasing a new DAP immediately, and have not started working on any DAP other than the Explorer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back