The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Apr 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,841 of 4,136
  I've been fiddling with Dolby Atmos Headphone (in Win 10)all night and nothing sounds good on it. I'm using AKG K712, Sennheiser Game One, and some Pioneer AE1000 for testing. My SB E5 with Virtual 7.1 sounds much better. Everything is cleaner. On the other hand, if I set everything to pure Stereo and run the game OVerwatch and change the in-game audio to Dolby Atmos, that game itself sounds better than running it in surround on my SB E5. So I'm starting to think it's a Windows issue. But then if I run the little Atmos Headphone Demo vids, (in win Dolby Access), They even sound better with my Soundb blaster E5's surround on instead of Win's Dolby Atmos. I'm about to check the Dolby tes tones rudy linked earlier. This is definitely a let down so far.

Edit: Just tested the Tone Tests and am also missing the Sub sounds. If you run Dolby Access from Win 10, you can click the little "Info" button on the bottom right side. That will pop up a menu where you can select to leave Feedback. I have left a pretty verbose message about this, already. I suggest you people leave a little feedback yourselves.

Yeah no doubt that this update let me down as well. I was really looking forward to it but everything sounds better with my set up using Dolby Headphone. Sigh....Going to leave feedback as well.

Hopefully Microsoft and Dolby do something about it.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,842 of 4,136
  I've been fiddling with Dolby Atmos Headphone (in Win 10)all night and nothing sounds good on it. I'm using AKG K712, Sennheiser Game One, and some Pioneer AE1000 for testing. My SB E5 with Virtual 7.1 sounds much better. Everything is cleaner. On the other hand, if I set everything to pure Stereo and run the game OVerwatch and change the in-game audio to Dolby Atmos, that game itself sounds better than running it in surround on my SB E5. So I'm starting to think it's a Windows issue. But then if I run the little Atmos Headphone Demo vids, (in win Dolby Access), They even sound better with my Soundb blaster E5's surround on instead of Win's Dolby Atmos. I'm about to check the Dolby tes tones rudy linked earlier. This is definitely a let down so far.

Edit: Just tested the Tone Tests and am also missing the Sub sounds. If you run Dolby Access from Win 10, you can click the little "Info" button on the bottom right side. That will pop up a menu where you can select to leave Feedback. I have left a pretty verbose message about this, already. I suggest you people leave a little feedback yourselves.

Yeah no doubt that this update let me down as well. I was really looking forward to it but everything sounds better with my set up using Dolby Headphone. Sigh....Going to leave feedback as well.

Hopefully Microsoft and Dolby do something about it.

But does it just sound worse to you guys, like a low quality HRTF or do you don't even get any positional audio from it (as if it were just standard 2.0). What I mean is: Is it working at all or it makes absolutely no difference?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3,843 of 4,136

But does it just sound worse to you guys, like a low quality HRTF or do you don't even get any positional audio from it (as if it were just standard 2.0). What I mean is: Is it working at all or it makes absolutely no difference?

It is more about the positional audio. It does not implement the HRTF properly. Everytime it is enabled it goes into 2.0 Stereo which doesn't make sense since in order for games to output 7.1 content is for windows to be set to 7.1 under the playback device.

But even if that was the case, when enabling Dolby Atmos for Headphones, there is a tickbox that says enable 7.1 virtual surround sound.....but seems pointless because it doesn't work even like that. At least I can't get it to work.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,844 of 4,136
Microsoft really needs to release some documentation on this... It's a mess right now.

And Windows not reporting 7.1 output to applications when virtual surround is turned on is absolutely dumb. It's like they try to undermine their own features...

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,845 of 4,136
  Microsoft really needs to release some documentation on this... It's a mess right now.

And Windows not reporting 7.1 output to applications when virtual surround is turned on is absolutely dumb. It's like they try to undermine their own features...

Yeah, I would think it would at least work that way but it doesn't. But what can we expect? Windows updates always mess up something in the beginning until there is a hot fix or a new big update...

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,846 of 4,136
The entire point of Dolby Atmos was meant to be that its object location and mono sound based, very much like DirectX can be as well. So does it just require explicit game support or is something else going wrong here? It is hard to work out whether its a bad HRTF, bad implementation within Windows especially for games or just needing explicit software support.

I want the whole 5.1/7.1 -> 2.0 headphone mode to just die. Its been a good workaround for a decade in the dark ages of sound but we need a full sphere of sound with no individual speakers represented and that is what Dolby Atmos is meant to be about.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,847 of 4,136
  I want the whole 5.1/7.1 -> 2.0 headphone mode to just die. Its been a good workaround for a decade in the dark ages of sound but we need a full sphere of sound with no individual speakers represented and that is what Dolby Atmos is meant to be about.

I think that's it's main purpose. Of course it would still be compatible with legacy 7.1 programs. Problem is no one here on the forum seems to be able to get it working as it should.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,848 of 4,136
  The entire point of Dolby Atmos was meant to be that its object location and mono sound based, very much like DirectX can be as well. So does it just require explicit game support or is something else going wrong here? It is hard to work out whether its a bad HRTF, bad implementation within Windows especially for games or just needing explicit software support.

Technically, Dolby Atmos for Headphones should be giving a similar "set up" to Home Cinema 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 or 9.1.6 ( at least to my understanding) while still being able to use regular 5.1 or 7.1 audio.

Actually, in the description for Dolby Atmos for Headphones, it says listen to your stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 channel games and movies....so does this mean that it is just another HRTF similar to DH or SBX? If so, What M$?

Windows 10 also comes with Windows Sonic for headphones which should be similar to 3D audio but seems like it is also not functioning right or no  one really know how it's implemented.

There are still many unanswered questions....and almost no answers to be found.

Edit: Yeah, Dolby Atmos is more to object location and mono sound based but the whole 5.1 or 7.1 to 2.0 headphone isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless the transition to Dolby Atmos or just in general 3D audio is implemented well, I don't see many people willing to opt out of even the usual 2.0 Stereo settings. Many don't really care and just want to hear bass! lol it's true.

As for me, I am ready to leave the 5.1 and 7.1 to 2.0. I still prefer it over regular stereo for movies and games, I really can't listen to 2.0 for those things anymore. Also, what they really need to do is move away from that DVD quality Audio and move into the 24 bit and 96khz or higher with those different HRTFs as well as content creators to really use higher bit rate audio for games.

EDIT 2: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/apps/access.html

So on their site the description says one thing but then in the video says differently, which is what I am expecting from DA......

but what I really want to know is the XBOX ONE users...they should have gotten an update as well right?

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,849 of 4,136

Both. As others have said, the positional audio is broken and also the quality will drop to 16 bit 44100Hz CD Quality. So it's pretty terrible all the way around right now.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,850 of 4,136
So anyone can say good things about the ATMOS in windows 10 1703 version ?

If I enable it it uses it for everything right ?

ATMOS will win Asus Strix DLX Raid and sennheiser-gsx-1000 ?  The best surround I think is the Asus Strix DLX Raid,  it seems that it doesn't lower the quality at all and you can still use 96Khz + 24 Bit with 7.1 Virtual surround and I think it keeps it Full Range.

Asus Strix DLX Raid 96Khz 24 Bit 7.1 Virtual Surround Full-Range
Atmos lowers to 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 My guess is Full-Range obviously 
Sonic lowers to 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 My guess is Full-Range too
Creative ZXR lowers to Limited Range and only 5.1 
GSX 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 Bicular Surround Full-Range ?

We really need 24 Bit support.  DTS-HD MA movies are 7.1 + 48Khz + 24 Bit !  what is the problem to use 24 Bit ?

Music sound really good with Atmos 7.1 ...
I'm hearing with DT990 Premium 600 Ohms with Atmos , Potplayer set to 7.1  and FLAC Ace of Base - Life is a Flower  ,  the music has so much life xD

The question is with which one I will play games with !?

I really want to know if ATMOS if better than GSX so I won't even think on buying it.. I will invest the money on the atmos when my 30 days trial will finish. and maybe later will buy AMP+DAC and have the best you can have.

Till now I had ...

Creative Card the cheap really old ones Sound Blaster and such they were good .
then Sound Blaster new version
then X-FI Xtreme Music
Asus Xonar Phoebus
Creative ZXR
Asus Strix DLX Raid

now we have extra pick  ATMOS and SONIC and GSX .   and soon new headphones which have real 7.1 . and non stop of Studio premium quality Headphones + the adds of DAC and AMPS.

How can we choose the right one !??

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,851 of 4,136
So anyone can say good things about the ATMOS in windows 10 1703 version ?

If I enable it it uses it for everything right ?

ATMOS will win Asus Strix DLX Raid and sennheiser-gsx-1000 ?  The best surround I think is the Asus Strix DLX Raid,  it seems that it doesn't lower the quality at all and you can still use 96Khz + 24 Bit with 7.1 Virtual surround and I think it keeps it Full Range.

Asus Strix DLX Raid 96Khz 24 Bit 7.1 Virtual Surround Full-Range
Atmos lowers to 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 My guess is Full-Range obviously 
Sonic lowers to 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 My guess is Full-Range too
Creative ZXR lowers to Limited Range and only 5.1 
GSX 48Khz 16 Bit 7.1 Bicular Surround Full-Range ?

We really need 24 Bit support.  DTS-HD MA movies are 7.1 + 48Khz + 24 Bit !  what is the problem to use 24 Bit ?

I'm hearing with DT990 Premium 600 Ohms with Atmos , Potplayer set to 7.1  and FLAC Ace of Base - Life is a Flower  ,  the music has so much life xD

The question is with which one I will play games with !?

I really want to know if ATMOS if better than GSX so I won't even think on buying it.. I will invest the money on the atmos when my 30 days trial will finish. and maybe later will buy AMP+DAC and have the best you can have.

Till now I had ...

Creative Card the cheap really old ones Sound Blaster and such they were good .
then Sound Blaster new version
then X-FI Xtreme Music
Asus Xonar Phoebus
Creative ZXR
Asus Strix DLX Raid

now we have extra pick  ATMOS and SONIC and GSX .   and soon new headphones which have real 7.1 . and non stop of Studio premium quality Headphones + the adds of DAC and AMPS.

How can we choose the right one !??

Hmmm I think you have a lot of misinformation on your post.....

As for Dolby Atnos for headphones and Windows Sonic for Headphones...they are not working properly right now so we really can't give an answer to how good they sound.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,852 of 4,136
What is not working? It sounds very much like Dolby Headphone here. Ive gone back and forth between several games and there is a difference but i cant pin point what it is. Both give very clear positional audio. Enabling it sets 2 audio channel on my sound card and i manually disable dolby headphone.

Whats more interesting to me is what is the difference here between Atmos and Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D and so on.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #3,853 of 4,136
  What is not working? It sounds very much like Dolby Headphone here. Ive gone back and forth between several games and there is a difference but i cant pin point what it is. Both give very clear positional audio. Enabling it sets 2 audio channel on my sound card and i manually disable dolby headphone.

Whats more interesting to me is what is the difference here between Atmos and Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D and so on.

ye I don't know what people saying, not working.  what did they do ? for me I sound differences with all Off, Sonic, Atmos  and my Asus 7.1 Virtual surround.

for now Atmos should be the best my guess, I heard it in real 7.1 movie DTS-HD MA and it sound amazing, the sounds coming from all sides.

Both. As others have said, the positional audio is broken and also the quality will drop to 16 bit 44100Hz CD Quality. So it's pretty terrible all the way around right now.

Where does it say that ? and it drops to 48 Khz not 44 Khz, you could easily check it..

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #3,854 of 4,136
  ye I don't know what people saying, not working.  what did they do ? for me I sound differences with all Off, Sonic, Atmos  and my Asus 7.1 Virtual surround.

for now Atmos should be the best my guess, I heard it in real 7.1 movie DTS-HD MA and it sound amazing, the sounds coming from all sides.

Where does it say that ? and it drops to 48 Khz not 44 Khz, you could easily check it..

Have you even tried testing this yourself? Or read any other posts from other people here? And yes it does drop to 44.1Khz on my PC when Atmos is enabled. It is very easy to check. 

Atmos sounding amazing in theaters  or in a game like Overwatch is different. The Win 10 version is hopefully just broken right now as I would love to see it fixed.

Edit: My mistake. You are right, it does drop to 48Khz 16bit. I tested about 12 times yesterday and could have sworn I was dropping to 44.1Khz. Which is weird. That's still trash though.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,855 of 4,136

I think Atmos doesn't even activate for 2.0 sources... That might be a reason you say it sounds good though.

What player did you use and was your Windows speaker settings set to 2.0?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back