The ear can detect a sound wave so small it moves the eardrum just one angstrom...

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Steve Eddy

Eh?

What'd you say?

Speak up!

[​IMG]

se

2. LFF

Quote:
    I could hear you typing that.....[​IMG]

3. OneSec
    Some times our perception / selective hearing deceive us.

I think I can only capture 30% max what my wife say... So I guess our ears being a great device, our brain keep failing us all (or the brain serves us well, which ever way you want to look at it)

4. sridhar3
    Quote:

The brain serves us well.  For example, you don't feel your clothing touching your skin all throughout the day, and you probably didn't notice until I just brought it up.  Yet, now that I did, you notice.  If you noticed things like that all the time (that is to say, if the brain didn't filter and attenuate chronic auditory and tactile stimuli), it'd be sensory overload.  We'd all lose our damn minds.

5. Currawong Contributor

Quote:

That's definitely not a problem with your ears. [​IMG]

6. 62ohm
    Found this thread while googling about THD significance, what a good read.

I guess this could be a reply to those "Why do you spend so much on audio gear" questions [​IMG]

7. wink
    Or, why you hate your bank manager.

8. eke2k6
    Awesome thread. I think this makes makes me even more in awe of the human brain, which has to constantly sort out all the low level noise and only bring potentially important sound cues to our conscious mind's attention.