The Darkvoice/La Figaro 332C and 332S Impressions/Discussion Thread
Feb 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #421 of 454
I am looking at the 332c to be used with Grados.  I have a Valhalla that I really like, and a MAD Ear+ HD, that I really don't like that much.

Anyone use a 332c with Grados?  Any comments positive or negative?

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #422 of 454
I've always thought that OTL tube amps were designed to work with higher ohm loads. Or that's the impression I got from my reading on these forums. Earlier on in this thread I think the designer or someone speaking on his behalf mentions that some tweaks were made to make the 332C to work better with lower ohm phones. Specifically higher capacitance caps were added. I recently got a pair of Magnum v4s (modeled after Grados) in wooden cups and I fired them up with the 332C. To my tin ears I thought the 332C sounded good. YMMV.

On another note... If this amp or the DV 332 was designed around Sennheiser HD650s... why is it that I can only get the pot up to about 9 or 10 o'clock before volume levels get too loud? Wouldn't it be better if you could the pot up to 12 to 2 o'clock before the volume is too loud? It reminds me of most amps in conjunction with IEMs -- you turn the amp up a hair and it gets loud way to quickly. With other phones I can get up to 10 - 12 o'clock before it's too loud to my ears.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #423 of 454
The Valhalla is also an OTL I believe, and I think that one mates quite well with the Grados I've listened to through it.

I know that in theory, OTL's and low impedance 'phones aren't supposed to be a good match, but that hasn't always been my experience.  Something about bass control, slew rate, etc.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #424 of 454
^^^

Not slew rate, I don't think, but dampening factor goes along with bass control. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #425 of 454
So I guess it has to do with the output impedance of the amp vs. the impedance of the headphones. I know the capacitance was raised on this amp to make it more suitable for low impedance loads. I'm wondering what the output impedance of this amp might be.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #426 of 454
Hi,Just in case any one is interested there is a 332S for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130711492623?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #427 of 454
Hi,All i see this question quite a bit from people looking to purchase what is the difference between a 322c & 322s well i can tell you having had both units, the best way i can think of describing this is this way. The 322c is like listening in a box 5 by 5ft and then the 322s is like listening in a box 9 by 9ft, you can here the same things except in the 322s they are wider in the stage and deeper and you can here more little detail the sizzle which is just missing from the 322c.
I used the same valve's in both units to do this test & the same CD discs.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #428 of 454
Today I received a 332C which I purchased from one of the members here. I bought it because it was available locally thinking that I could use it with some of my lessor headphones but certainly that it would not drive my HE-500's. I was wrong. It not only drives the HE-500's but it does so effortlessly and with such beautiful liquid sounds that I feel I have heard these HP's again for the first time. The 332C has far more than enough gain to drive these HP's and still maintains a tight and detailed bass foundation. The mid's are to die for especially with female vocals (absolutely spooky at times). Highs are pure silk. I know from experience that there can be a synergy between components that just lock onto musicality. Well, the HE-500 with the La Figero 332C is a match made in audio heaven. Just wanted to share this for anyone thinking, like I did, that class A tube gear won't drive the HE-500's. At least this one piece of gear can do it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #429 of 454
Quote:
Today I received a 332C which I purchased from one of the members here. I bought it because it was available locally thinking that I could use it with some of my lessor headphones but certainly that it would not drive my HE-500's. I was wrong. It not only drives the HE-500's but it does so effortlessly and with such beautiful liquid sounds that I feel I have heard these HP's again for the first time. The 332C has far more than enough gain to drive these HP's and still maintains a tight and detailed bass foundation. The mid's are to die for especially with female vocals (absolutely spooky at times). Highs are pure silk. I know from experience that there can be a synergy between components that just lock onto musicality. Well, the HE-500 with the La Figero 332C is a match made in audio heaven. Just wanted to share this for anyone thinking, like I did, that class A tube gear won't drive the HE-500's. At least this one piece of gear can do it.

I am glad that you like it. The 332 can get very hot (I wish I had it when I used to sleep in a cold room in Europe), but it can drive anything 
dt880smile.png

Regards from BKK.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #430 of 454
Quote:

Have you heard the HE-400s with the 332C amp? How does it pairs up? Heard that the 332C can drive high impedance headphones well but couldn't drive the low impedance ones that well.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #433 of 454
So, the high heat is normal for these? Its my first night listening to them(sounds AWESOME btw) OUUUCHHH!! I thought I burnt myself the whole unit is hot(Cept the knobs)..I mean this will be great in the winter and all lol but is the heat ok? should a fan be on it?

Oh yeah, someone asked..I plugged my Grado SR125 into the amp and it sounded great.. I couldn't go past halfway as it was very VERY loud.. My DT 880's I have to turn 3/4 to reach the same level...

I think my 332s is overkill for my Grado's but hey I tried them to see and they sounded incredible.

Im using my D1 as the dac.. I have crappy rca plugs...look like 1dollar specials. will change that soon.

Heat thing is concerning but if it doesn't hurt the thing I am cool with it lol

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #434 of 454
Quote:
So, the high heat is normal for these? Its my first night listening to them(sounds AWESOME btw) OUUUCHHH!! I thought I burnt myself the whole unit is hot(Cept the knobs)..I mean this will be great in the winter and all lol but is the heat ok? should a fan be on it?

Oh yeah, someone asked..I plugged my Grado SR125 into the amp and it sounded great.. I couldn't go past halfway as it was very VERY loud.. My DT 880's I have to turn 3/4 to reach the same level...

I think my 332s is overkill for my Grado's but hey I tried them to see and they sounded incredible.

Im using my D1 as the dac.. I have crappy rca plugs...look like 1dollar specials. will change that soon.

Heat thing is concerning but if it doesn't hurt the thing I am cool with it lol

Hi,The heat is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back