The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,412 of 1,431
Omg where's mine. Good to know they fit well .

No M50 velour pads for you!

I've been thinking about getting M50X pads for my M50. But now I'm thinking that the velour pads would be even better. Too bad I missed them =\.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,414 of 1,431
  No M50 velour pads for you!

I've been thinking about getting M50X pads for my M50. But now I'm thinking that the velour pads would be even better. Too bad I missed them =\.

For velour get HM5 velour. You can also get them in a bunch of different colors. It fits the m50's perfect. They even have slanted hm5 velour like the auduze and denon 2000 pads. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,416 of 1,431
I should try those angled pads some time.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,417 of 1,431
  I should try those angled pads some time.

I bought a pair for my friend who hasn't been corrupted into headphones. His response was 10 text messages acting like a little school girl going to prom. He absolutely loved the comfort and sound improvement. Which doesn't surprise me. The stock m50 pads are some of the worst. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,418 of 1,431
Thanks mate, much appreciated - In the photo I was using velour DT250 pads. But since then, I've changed to BRAINWAVZ HM5/FISCHER FA003/JAYCAR pro monitor pads. Far more comfortable, I found.

The removable cable mod was pretty easy - if you know how to use a soldering iron!

Info available in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod/15
I know its quite late but, which pad on the m50's are the smaller ones? And can I find them on eBay for my m40x? I know it will probably have less soundstage, but I still wanna use it outside with out looking like a freak with these huge things on my head ( the right pad is drastically smaller then the left one ) would be very glad and hyped for an answer :p

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,419 of 1,431

I bought a pair for my friend who hasn't been corrupted into headphones. His response was 10 text messages acting like a little school girl going to prom. He absolutely loved the comfort and sound improvement. Which doesn't surprise me. The stock m50 pads are some of the worst. 

Even Sony V6/7506 pads are an improvement.  What was AT thinking?  Luckily for us all, they didn't skimp out on engineering the drivers well.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,420 of 1,431
Unlike (it seems) most on Head-Fi.org, I am on an extremely limited budget.

I really enjoy my ATH-M50s.  I do think they are a little heavy on the bass, but I find mid, treble, soundstage far better than the price tag would suggest. Isolation is a nice bonus.

I tried the vModa 100 the other day and did not find they offered anything better compared to the ATH-M50.

I find them very comfortable, nicely isolating and don't mind the heavy bass.  I use an ifi Nano dac/amp and they handle the power well (I am usually below 50%, but occasionally push it about 75%).

The one set of headphones I am saving up for, but will audition first, is the Mad Dog Pro / Alpha.  But that is another jump up in $.

I usually listen to classic rock, female vocals, hip hop, progressive rock, pop.  Dire Straits DSD is amazing on these headphones.

I like the stock ear pads and don't have any plans to change them until they start to fail.

Happy listening!

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,421 of 1,431
The M50 Velours are back on Massdrop! I already have a black velour pair from Audio Professionals that I really enjoy. What they do to the sound is quite nice. Those maroon and white velour pads on Massdrop still look tempting.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,422 of 1,431
  The M50 Velours are back on Massdrop! I already have a black velour pair from Audio Professionals that I really enjoy. What they do to the sound is quite nice. Those maroon and white velour pads on Massdrop still look tempting.

Thanks for the heads up.  I just ordered a set of the black ones.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,424 of 1,431
Finally got a listen at these m50's. My first impression was, not bad. But considering the pricetag of about 159 euros. Which is about $165. They're far from thát good. As a minute or two passed. They clearly became yet too muddy for my taste. I can clearly hear folks who come ditectly from lowfi gear would love them. I could also clearly hear why senheiser fans would stick to senheiser. Now I dislike both. Now the m50 sound better than any lowcost sony's I've heard like the mdr55. The m50 are a little clearer. Not that warm. But even for 50 euros I'd leave the m50 alone.

Then the m70 I guess they were called. A ridiculous double the price of the m50. Guess what. They sound like they have filters to cut the bass. Sound something like the grado 60e and 80e only way louder and way harsher. Considering the pricetag. Another big NO.

Versus my Grado sr60e. Well the 60 lack bass, oddly enough for such big headphone-drivers. And they're odd-sounding too. Not exactly my taste. But I like them better in terms of clarity and flatter response. Though they color the sound like hell. They do sound better to me. Do we really need to pay thousands for a fair headphone? It's rudiculous !

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,425 of 1,431
Finally got a listen at these m50's. My first impression was, not bad. But considering the pricetag of about 159 euros. Which is about $165. They're far from thát good. As a minute or two passed. They clearly became yet too muddy for my taste. I can clearly hear folks who come ditectly from lowfi gear would love them. I could also clearly hear why senheiser fans would stick to senheiser. Now I dislike both. Now the m50 sound better than any lowcost sony's I've heard like the mdr55. The m50 are a little clearer. Not that warm. But even for 50 euros I'd leave the m50 alone.

Then the m70 I guess they were called. A ridiculous double the price of the m50. Guess what. They sound like they have filters to cut the bass. Sound something like the grado 60e and 80e only way louder and way harsher. Considering the pricetag. Another big NO.

Versus my Grado sr60e. Well the 60 lack bass, oddly enough for such big headphone-drivers. And they're odd-sounding too. Not exactly my taste. But I like them better in terms of clarity and flatter response. Though they color the sound like hell. They do sound better to me. Do we really need to pay thousands for a fair headphone? It's rudiculous !

I mostly agree with what you're saying.  I find that the M50s sound best when I don't try to EQ them.  With a flat setting, it actually clears up the sound a lot.  I like to use them because they're portable, durable, fairly cheap, and easily amped.  They run great off my Fiio X5/E12 combo.  I don't know, I kind of like their sound.  It's not equal to my Senn HD650s or Audeze LCD2 in quality, but they have a charm to them.  I still use them a lot even though I have more expensive choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back