The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 2,251
Cool! What about 3 soundstage size vs. 5 soundstage size and the difference in the separation of things within each of their stages? Thanks!

I'm either getting sick or it's my allergies bugging me, but I woke up this morning to my ears plugged up. All my headphones sound weird *sigh*. Luckily, before I fell asleep last night I took a few notes listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Touch specifically.

When Paul Williams started his singing after that creepy intro build (~1:50), he came across closer on the 5 vs. the 3. At around 2:30 when the cymbals and 70's 'wicka wicka' effect :)D) kicked in, they were further back and to the right on the 5. On the three they lost the depth but were pushed out to the sides a bit more. When the song picked up energy around 3:24 it sounded like it was playing in a wider but flatter plain on the 3 vs. the 5. Instruments were coming from the same locations, but it was much more defined with the 5; drums in front right, trombone (?) back right, piano's sprinkling on both sides just off centre, horns dead centre and forward, etc. As I suspected the 3 has the larger sound scape, but what the 5 lacks in raw scope it more than makes up for with technical prowess. It's got a much more dynamic sound stage. Hopefully this little snippet is helpful.

20170615_160747.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 2,251
How does the E5 compare to the S5S?

I have the S5S and am wondering if its worth getting the E5 because they look some damn lovely in that metal housing.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #19 of 2,251
Gonna liven up this thread because i am really liking the new Exclusive line from TFZ. I don't have Exclusive 1 and Exclusive 5 but i just received my Exclusive 3 yesterday and on brief listening they're much balance sounding overall when compared to TFZ KING. The bass seems to be more on the Exclusive 3 and feels less bright with about the same level of clarity across midrange. Midrange seems to be more prominent too with the E3 which is more forward and is fuller and more natural sounding. Soundstage size and imaging feels about the same as EKing although it does not give the impression of same level of refinement overall as the EKing.

Due to its superb tiny housing and extremely comfortable wearing (much much better than ZS5 and TFZ KING, sits in even more ergonomically in my ears than K3 Pro) i believe it is the IEM i'll take out for a listen more when i'm out and about while the King will still hold its place as the most refined of all for a more analytical listening.

The cable quality is really really good that i can't believe this is the kind of cable i'd get for an IEM at this price. And about the colour for left and right mistakenly switched side, i was thinking are they trying to change some kind of established standard or what coz i noticed the new Simgot EN700 Pro also had the colour switched side from the picture i saw on their instagram.

I know it is using a 2-pin 0.78mm standard connection yet i've tried to fit in a 2-pin 0.75mm cable and it kinda works fine. Not sure if it's actually damaging to the connection, can anyone enlighten me about this ?

They work but stretch out the socket and can make the original cables loose.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #20 of 2,251
They work but stretch out the socket and can make the original cables loose.
I thought only fitting 0.78mm cable into 0.75mm connection causes this ? And the other way round should be the 0.75mm cable fitting loosely into the 0.78mm connection which could result in loose connection, kinda the case of mine as sometimes that 0.75mm cable seems to be not in contact with the connection thus occasionally lost of sound heard.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 2,251
I thought only fitting 0.78mm cable into 0.75mm connection causes this ? And the other way round should be the 0.75mm cable fitting loosely into the 0.78mm connection which could result in loose connection, kinda the case of mine as sometimes that 0.75mm cable seems to be not in contact with the connection thus occasionally lost of sound heard.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
You're right. Misread your post.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 2,251
Sat down with the 3 tonight for a long listening session now that my ears are finally unplugged. They're the most musical sounding of the lineup. Slightly warmer than the rest with softer treble, more prominent mids, deep bass, and a spacious presentation that adds up to a truly relaxing and enjoyable listen. I can easily forgive that they're the least detailed of the Exclusive lineup; still plenty of detail, just not to the extent of the 1, 5, and King. What a well tuned earphone. :L3000:

@VinceHill24 How are you enjoying your 3 now that you've been using them for about a week?

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 2,251
Sat down with the 3 tonight for a long listening session now that my ears are finally unplugged. They're the most musical sounding of the lineup. Slightly warmer than the rest with softer treble, more prominent mids, deep bass, and a spacious presentation that adds up to a truly relaxing and enjoyable listen. I can easily forgive that they're the least detailed of the Exclusive lineup; still plenty of detail, just not to the extent of the 1, 5, and King. What a well tuned earphone. :L3000:

@VinceHill24 How are you enjoying your 3 now that you've been using them for about a week?
Very much agree with you regarding its musicality. It kinda reminds me a bit of the 1More triples but with more prominent midrange on the warmer side and a bass that's in much better control. Compared to the King it sounds less detailed, not as refined, but with more bass this time and taking out the bright edge of treble. They're just so comfortable to wear and enjoyable to listen to but definitely not the analytical type of listening and not as aggresive and forward like the King. Probably it's like something that takes the middle path between their series lineup and exclusive lineup. I even struggled so hard between getting another of Exclusive, the Exclusive 5 or the Aune M1s few days back just because the Exclusive 3 impresses me that much. Got M1s in the end, curious to see how it'll run with balance later haha

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 2,251
Was able to demo the Exclusive 3, 5 and King at a local shop, and found myself really liking the Exclusive 5! Just wondering though, if anyone can give a comparison of the Exclusive 5, Magaosi K3 Pro and the upcoming Fiio F5? I originally wanted to get the F5, was suggested the K3 Pro, but later held out for the Exclusive 5 to arrive at the store so I could demo it. Thanks in advance!

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 2,251

How they compared to FA Dubliz?

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #27 of 2,251
The TFZ exclusives were underrated i guess... need to bump up this thread. They're so comfortable that i didn't realise i fell asleep wearing them in my ears. They may not be technically superior but they're sure to give a smooth musical listen everytime. I always reach out for them whenever i'm done with my other iems.
More impressions ?

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 2,251
Early impressions of my TFZ Exclusive 5:

• Very comfy ergonomics
  • Build quality seems great, except for the plug's strain relief, which is too rigid imo
  • Good clarity and detail across the spectrum
  • Too much bass, but steers mostly clear of the mids
  • Somewhat spiky treble

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #30 of 2,251
I actually like the Exclusive 1 and the King.
Thought the Exclusive 1 reminded me somewhat of Fitear tuning.

The King's trebles can get a bit hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back