Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
May 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #301 of 2,298
Wondering if someone here has got both N1 and XB90EX. If so can you please compare the sq between two of them.

There was someone that did own both. He had his reasons, but in the end returned the N1 because he didn't like the sound signature. Compared to 90ex, the bass is not up to the 90ex levels...no surprises there. Exactly why I'm moving away from them, they can be quite jarring (and this is coming from a basshead lol). I'm looking for something more refined and cleaner so hopefully the n3 fits the bill.

May 12, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #302 of 2,298
Just ordered the N3, should be here under 2 weeks. Kind of nervous really. Don't really know what to expect
Hi, good choice. :)
Wouldn't be nervous, you should like it. Best not to have too high expectations, though, just approach it with an open mind. :wink: The brain is a funny thing, you can overload it with preconceptions.
When I first heard it, I thought it was quite good, but only when I brought it home and listened longer did I realise how good it is - it might not blow you away instantly, but I'm sure once you listen longer..:)
I've heard a lot of things now, and nothing beats it IMHO, everything else was limited in some way. This is a whole other level than the XB90, btw, better in every respect.
Enjoy!

May 13, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #303 of 2,298
Wondering if someone here has got both N1 and XB90EX. If so can you please compare the sq between two of them.
I just sold my XB90EX, but I have listened to the N1 before too in a shop. My first impressions of N1 was that it had too much lower mids and mid bass. Vocals were a bit muddy and flabby bass on N1. XB90EX definitely has better bass and clearer vocals quality, but has lesser bass quantity than the N1. For the treble I didn't had them side by side to compare so cant say much about it, but I think the N1 treble was pretty tamed and had more presence than XB90EX. XB90EX has a larger soundstage though. :k701smile:

May 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #305 of 2,298
I noticed a discrepancy by comparing the specifications of the Japanese model (N3) with those of the international model (N3AP), also sold in Europe.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/XBA-N3/

http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-n3ap/specifications

The only difference should be the Android-compatible cable for the AP model. But it is said to be a 32 ohm impedance, versus 16 ohm for the Japanese model (N3).
Anyone with the Japanese version can confirm the 16 ohm impedance?

May 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #306 of 2,298
The only difference should be the Android-compatible cable for the AP model. But it is said to be a 32 ohm impedance, versus 16
I've got the Asian market N3,AP, and it's marked 16 Ohm on the box. I suspect a misprint, Sony did the same with the MDR 1A, which I also have, the marketing material showed 48 Ohm, the box 24 Ohm which is what they are.

May 16, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #307 of 2,298
Yeah, I assumed my N1 were 32ohm as well. Is there no Sony presence on here to clarify that ?
Found that by rolling in KZ Star Tips from ALi-X I think they are called - much better low-end tightness/fullness, extended decays, better imaging ....a great seal basically in short-hand.
Absolutely loving these things for electronic music anyway with the elevated bass and rich tonality ( no dry graininess/entry-level Sony veil).
Wish I'd spent more time tip-rolling to take them to a better SQ at the start.

May 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #308 of 2,298
Yeah, I assumed my N1 were 32ohm as well. Is there no Sony presence on here to clarify that ?
Found that by rolling in KZ Star Tips from ALi-X I think they are called - much better low-end tightness/fullness, extended decays, better imaging ....a great seal basically in short-hand.
Absolutely loving these things for electronic music anyway with the elevated bass and rich tonality ( no dry graininess/entry-level Sony veil).
Wish I'd spent more time tip-rolling to take them to a better SQ at the start.
Hmm I see, I do have KZ starline tips as well. Think I will do a little tip rolling as well for my N3s' when they come. In the meantime, still waiting for them :triportsad:

May 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #311 of 2,298
I've got the Asian market N3,AP, and it's marked 16 Ohm on the box. I suspect a misprint, Sony did the same with the MDR 1A, which I also have, the marketing material showed 48 Ohm, the box 24 Ohm which is what they are.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
It looks like there are two versions for the XBA-N3AP.

The Asian one actually reports the 16 Ohm indication on the box and also the datasheet included.

img.php

The same in the international version indicates instead 32 Ohm!

9154200_thumb.jpg

This is really very strange, as product name is exactly the same.

May 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #312 of 2,298
Hi, good choice. :)
Wouldn't be nervous, you should like it. Best not to have too high expectations, though, just approach it with an open mind. :wink: The brain is a funny thing, you can overload it with preconceptions.
When I first heard it, I thought it was quite good, but only when I brought it home and listened longer did I realise how good it is - it might not blow you away instantly, but I'm sure once you listen longer..:)
I've heard a lot of things now, and nothing beats it IMHO, everything else was limited in some way. This is a whole other level than the XB90, btw, better in every respect.
Enjoy!

Very well said. Just got these last Friday and they are absolutely amazing! I am happy with them, and they are really fun to listen to. Very versatile I find.

May 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #313 of 2,298
Hi, thank you for your reply.
It looks like there are two versions for the XBA-N3AP.

The Asian one actually reports the 16 Ohm indication on the box and also the datasheet included.

img.php

The same in the international version indicates instead 32 Ohm!

9154200_thumb.jpg

This is really very strange, as product name is exactly the same.

That is strange indeed. I myself tend to believe that it is 32 ohm, these things can take a lot of amp/eq.

May 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #314 of 2,298
Just got these last Friday and they are absolutely amazing! I am happy with them, and they are really fun to listen to. Very versatile I find.
Cool! :)
I try not to hype, it's a dangerous thing to do as we all have different tastes, but I think if anything these are underrated. Maybe some people don't like the shape, it's a bit unusual, or dislike Sony because they are a mass market company, but whenever anyone listens to my N3 they always think they sound fantastic.
There's an interesting read, linked way back with the designers of the N models, and a lot of work went into making these best of class - which I believe they are.
Enjoy!

May 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #315 of 2,298
Very well said. Just got these last Friday and they are absolutely amazing! I am happy with them, and they are really fun to listen to. Very versatile I find.

Yea, they are probably the best XBA for everyday use currently. It's small and easy to wear unlike the A3/Z5. They are easy to drive and the sound is pretty neutral and does not cause fatigue even on long sessions. The A3/Z5 still have some advantage but are more expensive and bulky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back