SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #13,066 of 45,723
I purchased a used WM1A from amazon warehouse deals. The item arrived with serious cosmetic damage to the lower right corner. The metal case has large dents in it. The item appears to work fine, but I'm concerned what happened to it to cause such damage. Amazon offered me a discount that would make my total cost $700. For this price I'm tempted to keep it. Resale value would be greatly affected. Any thoughts? Is it a good deal for $700?

Returned it, and bought another. The damage was just too much.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #13,068 of 45,723
The difference is immediately apparent, the 1Z has a reference, natural and organic presentation. I have the 1A and do wish I purchased the 1Z.

I could swear the 1Z is a re-badged Accuphase.
If you like the 1Z tonality it you should aim for a neutral sounding IEM else you will not enjoy the sound of 1Z. I found the more neutral tonality of 1A more universal.
However 1Z and UERR will bring many grown man to tears.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #13,069 of 45,723
The difference is immediately apparent, the 1Z has a reference, natural and organic presentation. I have the 1A and do wish I purchased the 1Z.

I could swear the 1Z is a re-badged Accuphase.
that drastic?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #13,070 of 45,723
If you like the 1Z tonality it you should aim for a neutral sounding IEM else you will not enjoy the sound of 1Z. I found the more neutral tonality of 1A more universal.
whichever DAP I get from Sony, will only be used with the Z5 and Z1R. the synergy between sony products is undeniable.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #13,071 of 45,723
For 1A i went for a slightly warm and impactful gold-silver cable with a more neutral BA iem.

I just want the that ambience sound.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #13,073 of 45,723

I have the 1A as well, and a TG334 on order which will pair nicely.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #13,075 of 45,723
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #13,076 of 45,723
Nanoholic,
If you are of a certain age and a lover of music, all genres, your collection of legal music, (CD, records) far exceeds the space provided with a microSD slot. $30K music collection is not outside the realm of possibility. You start with one CD, forty years later you have one room full.
There must be some technical reason why an SD slot is not considered, do you know?

I'm approaching 40 and I started collecting CDs more than 20 years ago and I "only" have 600 physical CDs. If I tell normal people about this they already think I'm crazy to have that many CDs (but that's more to do with people thinking why buy when you can pirate, which is a different story). The truth of the matter is most people don't have that many legally purchased music in their collection, and they most certainly don't try to stuff everything into one device because most people only rotates maybe 1000 songs. If you use some smart computer software to organise your music library and swap the music out, 128GB really is plenty for most people, so there's no point in buying more memory which a) raises the BOM cost for the maker, and b) they then have to raise the price on the product to keep the profit margin by passing the cost to the costumer (they really don't want to discount it you know) which makes the sticker price of the device less desirable. So for a product that is aimed at budding to-be audiophiles like the ZX300, 64G with one expansion slot really is sufficient for the most cases, which is why the makers settles on this number. For the hi-end audiophiles like the WM1Z that's why they included 256G internal memory plus a microsd slot (which the spec should support up to 2TB), that's really quite a lot of space. Then there's the WM1A which has 128G in the middle, so you have a nicely organised "spec up" product line up of 64/128/256GB which makes it easy for customers to understand where the product sits as well.

Sony could use the unused "wasted" space in the left side of the walkman to add a nother microSD slot or a full sized SD slot

There's no wasted space - if you look at the circuit board of the WM1 walkmans it's already packed to the brim with several through holes at that area and the battery pack on one side (and the top half is reserved for the analog audio components so that area is out of bounds) so it's not a place for them to put another slot there.

9415437.jpg
ss024.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #13,077 of 45,723
Confirming my upgraded Wm1z sound with Stax 009 as a preamp analog source.

Definitely more sub-bass and reverberation, larger soundstage though vocal and singer are still up front, but all instruments are circulating around them nicely, every back ground beats and plays are vividly presenting with thicker tonal body and speed! Especially the trebles, extends nicely with great details and speed, dense tonal, which helps treble to have more layering resolutions.

It sounds more organic than ever before.

IMG_1698.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #13,078 of 45,723
I'm approaching 40 and I started collecting CDs more than 20 years ago and I "only" have 600 physical CDs. If I tell normal people about this they already think I'm crazy to have that many CDs (but that's more to do with people thinking why buy when you can pirate, which is a different story). The truth of the matter is most people don't have that many legally purchased music in their collection

Crazy you are not.
57 years old - 7000 lp's and 2000 cd's
all legally bought

One of the reasons which pushed me over the edge to get the 1Z - 512gb of storage
well that ....... and the sound.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #13,079 of 45,723
Crazy you are not.
57 years old - 7000 lp's and 2000 cd's
all legally bought

One of the reasons which pushed me over the edge to get the 1Z - 512gb of storage
well that ....... and the sound.

I absolutely love my Sony NW-WM1A, but my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana with a 512gb SDXC card, and Shure SRH1540 headphones is damn close to a religious experience. That pairing is so very magical. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GMs sound great on my Questyle QP1R, but horrid with Diana. The Shure headphones don't pair particularly well with QP1R. Everything seems to pair well with the Sony NW-WM1A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back