SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #12,211 of 45,723
Nw-wm1a internal wires are 22awg x4. they look so thin when compared with some other high end cables. I recabled balanced side of Sony dap (4.4mm plug) with 8 wires 26awg black widow from toxic cables last month. Sound quality is noticeably better. I get more details and better extends from entire range of sounds. Overall, a bit brighter and warmer sound signature. Soundstage is larger. It's like when you compare from large size room to a town hall space. I get more powerful kicks and details from the bass. Stock cables sounded veil by comparison.

Modified WM1Z by swapping out the pathetic Kimber Kable yield noticeably much better performance from the player, mainly in soundstage and the upper mids (which are important to me).

May 23, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #12,212 of 45,723
Not trying to bash or be a mincer about this but aren't those 4.4 plugs slightly misaligned to their respective chamber/housing?

Sorry my ocd just kicked in :p

Haha you just made me go back and re-examine my connectors again...they looked OK and perfectly aligned to me so it must be the cameras angle then :k701smile:

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #12,213 of 45,723
IMG_8034.JPG Stock cables vs black widow cables x2. Oem cables are tiny by comparison.

May 23, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #12,216 of 45,723
since then your warranty is voided, you should haf waited till warranty had expired
I'd think those that do this already have enough technical know-how to deliver their own repairing needs thanks to the available service manual.

May 23, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #12,217 of 45,723
Just normal 26awg cable. No insulation. At first I was expecting just a bit more bass and warmer sound from typical 8 wires config. I'm didn't expect this mod will also extend high range, a tiny bit brighter and bigger soundstage.

May 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #12,219 of 45,723
since then your warranty is voided, you should haf waited till warranty had expired
I fix electronics gadgets for living so I know some what what to expect.

May 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #12,220 of 45,723
What stunned me was the sizes of the 26AWG look to be almost as big or bigger than the stock 22AWG....what in the hell
Yes. This a will agree. LOL! What the hell.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #12,222 of 45,723
Awesome to see others replacing the internal wires. The only piece of kit in these players that is a compromise is the stock wiring (the Japanese OFC in the 1A and the "Kimber Kable" in the 1Z) and the audible difference in a wire swap is quite large.

Also, props to Sony for great aftermarket service. Having opened my player so many times that the gold ring around the balanced jack popped out without me noticing outdoors due to the adhesive weakening after repeated openings and re-stickings, I ordered a replacement from the local service centre and it reached me in 3 days. Maybe that's something to do with the factory just being across the border where I am, but that's still impressive nonetheless, and I believe you can even order any component of both players as long as you're willing to pay which is great for tinkerers who may need to replace components.

And finally, Furutech is coming out with 4.4mm connectors:
upload_2017-5-24_2-17-3.png

They look awesome as always. I'm happy with my Pentaconn OFC, but the barrel is a bit long – if these ones are shorter, a retermination might be in order for me.

May 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #12,223 of 45,723
Stock cables vs black widow cables x2. Oem cables are tiny by comparison.
I am not clear on this. Do you have an image of the final wiring?

May 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12,224 of 45,723
Awesome to see others replacing the internal wires. The only piece of kit in these players that is a compromise is the stock wiring (the Japanese OFC in the 1A and the "Kimber Kable" in the 1Z) and the audible difference in a wire swap is quite large.

Also, props to Sony for great aftermarket service. Having opened my player so many times that the gold ring around the balanced jack popped out without me noticing outdoors due to the adhesive weakening after repeated openings and re-stickings, I ordered a replacement from the local service centre and it reached me in 3 days. Maybe that's something to do with the factory just being across the border where I am, but that's still impressive nonetheless, and I believe you can even order any component of both players as long as you're willing to pay which is great for tinkerers who may need to replace components.

And finally, Furutech is coming out with 4.4mm connectors:

They look awesome as always. I'm happy with my Pentaconn OFC, but the barrel is a bit long – if these ones are shorter, a retermination might be in order for me.
I hope that Furutech doesn't use steel for the center pin as they did in the 2.5 TRRS. I asked them about this and they said the steel pin was the best option but I have plugs that cost 1 dollar that have no steel and hold up just fine.

May 23, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #12,225 of 45,723
I hope that Furutech doesn't use steel for the center pin as they did in the 2.5 TRRS. I asked them about this and they said the steel pin was the best option but I have plugs that cost 1 dollar that have no steel and hold up just fine.
I'm convinced that the steel pin is only for the 2.5mm owing to how fragile that connector is compared to 3.5mm and 4.4mm. If Pentaconn can do up a plug in OFC (which I've verified as part of the plating on mine has worn off), pretty sure Furutech can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back