Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,101 of 2,709
I've been rocking these for the last week and a half, and I have to say that overall I'm impressed.

The ANC is really good, a bit like magic if you will, and compared to that last set of so called ANC headphones I had (back in 2010) this actually works. The noise of a bus engine is pretty much totally negated. Voices remain, but are well recessed and slightly tinny in nature, but that's par for the course with ANC headphones. Unfortunately I'll never be able to try these in flight as I go pretty much completely deaf ten minutes after take off, and remain that way until about half an hour after landing - I've had stewards and stewardesses shout at me from 3 feet away and all I can hear is a muffled voice that sounds like it comes from 200ft away. I guess I have my own homegrown ANC when in an aircraft.

They've got a good soundstage which frequently throws the sound seemingly outside of the earcups - I was listening to a track today which had some ambient conversation in the background and I was looking aorund to see who the hell was daring to interupt my listening session, only to realise that I was in a mostly empty carriage with nobody anywhere near me.

They've got a nice pacey delivery, with rythms coming across in such a way as it makes me want to tap my foot and nod my head - they're nice and tight in this respect. Transient response is actually pretty good.

The bass is a bit recessed for my taste but easily accomodated - this improves with ANC active as yu would expect, and the treble, while detailed and relatively smooth is just a bit more forward than would be perfect for me, but again easily acommodated.

Midrange is pretty good in tone and texture for this type of headphone. However voices, male and female, do suffer from sibilance from time to time, but it's not overly harsh and easily liveable with.

There are a couple of things that I have to give minus points to however. The first is that they do sound slightly synthetic, as if it's a very good computer's best guess as to how something should sound. That said given the amount of digital trickery going on in these headphones it's not really surprising. The other problem is a slight creaking of the earcups when I walk - no big deal, but when ANC is activated the creak turns into a thump as the ANC seems unable to handle this.

Oh and I have a love hate relationship with the earcup touch controls. Overall they work reasonably well, but I've had volume adjustments misinterperated as track skips, and when you're listening to hour long DJ mixes this is a real pain. Also random accidental touches are a pain as well. While the technology is ineteresting and cool, I don't think this is the best use of touch, and quite frankly I'd prefer hard buttons.

Nice HPs and a good contrast to my B&W P7W (which really do win out on the fun factor)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,102 of 2,709
I guess that's one thing I didn't understand. Is it possible to use the NC without activating the pre-amp in the headphones.

I'm thinking no.

Active noise cancellation requires 2 things - external microphones to measure external noise and an internal DSP system to mix in the right amount of "anti-noise" to the headphone output to cancel out the external noise. This requires power which can only be suppled by the battery inside the headphone.

1000x does not operate as a preamp. When you use the volume controls, all it is doing is using BT connection to change the volume level from your source and not within the headphone itself. It is a remote control for your source.

Powered off, you still can listen wired to a source, but you have no active NC and you have no BT controls. It is basically a standard headphone powered off. It will sound different because without active NC on, your noise floor is higher and your equivalent volume will sound lower.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,103 of 2,709
Active noise cancellation requires 2 things - external microphones to measure external noise and an internal DSP system to mix in the right amount of "anti-noise" to the headphone output to cancel out the external noise. This requires power which can only be suppled by the battery inside the headphone.

1000x does not operate as a preamp. When you use the volume controls, all it is doing is using BT connection to change the volume level from your source and not within the headphone itself. It is a remote control for your source.

Powered off, you still can listen wired to a source, but you have no active NC and you have no BT controls. It is basically a standard headphone powered off. It will sound different because without active NC on, your noise floor is higher and your equivalent volume will sound lower.

What about powered on, no NC, with a wire? Does it not amplify the signal as compared to powered off, with a wire?

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,104 of 2,709
What about powered on, no NC, with a wire? Does it not amplify the signal as compared to powered off, with a wire?

Powered on, NC off, wired? You would have to ask Sony that question because it depends on whether the NC is applied in the digital or analog domain. Given that this is a $399 headphone, I would guess analog and if that is true, there is no amp with ADC, but only a analog mixer. That would be a "no" to your question.

Jun 14, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,105 of 2,709
It's firm weatherstrip which just needs to be cut to correct length and put between the plastic ring and the padding. There's adhesive on one side to keep it in place but because it is firm enough it'll stay on just by itself.

Try some 3/8" foam backer rod. It's round and slips in between ring and padding perfectly. No adhesive, it's just a solid tube of foam. 1/4" should also be fine.

ETA: In some brief testing, music doesn't seem to suffer, but noise canceling does. It seems to let in high frequencies, e.g. male voices on CNN right now aren't muffled nearly as much.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,106 of 2,709

The answer is NO. The controls on the 1000X communicate the command to the source. The source/amp is always the volume control ....one wired one not. Simple isn't it?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,107 of 2,709
The answer is NO. The controls on the 1000X communicate the command to the source. The source/amp is always the volume control ....one wired one not. Simple isn't it?
Do you know if this is also true with the Bose QC35?

Powered off with wire, vs. powered on with wire, is any amplification happening within the QC35 internals when the switch is turned on?

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #2,108 of 2,709
Do you know if this is also true with the Bose QC35?

Powered off with wire, vs. powered on with wire, is any amplification happening within the QC35 internals when the switch is turned on?

I have no experience with the QC35. It would be safe to assume that in most BT and wired applications the control is at the player/amp even if remote operated as in the 1000x.

Think of the 1000x as a Bluetooth remote control for say a player like the NW-WM1Z or 1A. And it has NC. Excellent NC by the way!

I always travel with mine with the 1A or 1Z (not so often anymore cuz the TSA ALWAYS pulls me aside to ask what the 1Z is.) :expressionless:

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #2,110 of 2,709
@Roen,
If I may ask, what exactly are you looking for? Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are hoping to get a totally passive operation when wired. The problem is, the vast majority of ANR headphones are tuned to sound their best with power on, because ANR is the main reason to choose these headphones.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,111 of 2,709
@Roen,
If I may ask, what exactly are you looking for? Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are hoping to get a totally passive operation when wired. The problem is, the vast majority of ANR headphones are tuned to sound their best with power on, because ANR is the main reason to choose these headphones.

Since I don't believe in double amping, if the MDR-1000X has it's own internal amplifier that is active when the power is on, I would only want to use them in passive mode with a DAC / Amp.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #2,112 of 2,709
Anyone else notice a price drop on amazon.us? I don't know how long its been/will be $328, and now I'm tempted to order it.

$70 off in Canada too, most likely Father's Day sale.

If you're going to buy, buy now.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,113 of 2,709
I have no experience with the QC35. It would be safe to assume that in most BT and wired applications the control is at the player/amp even if remote operated as in the 1000x.

Think of the 1000x as a Bluetooth remote control for say a player like the NW-WM1Z or 1A. And it has NC. Excellent NC by the way!

I always travel with mine with the 1A or 1Z (not so often anymore cuz the TSA ALWAYS pulls me aside to ask what the 1Z is.) :expressionless:

I ask because, with the MDR-1000X, the difference between (powered, NC, wired), (powered, no NC, wired) and (unpowered, wired) is quite minimal (especially the last two), whereas with the Bose, the difference between (unpowered, wired) and (powered, NC, wired) is quite apparent.

I wonder, what is the point of powered, no NC, wired? How different is the sound quality compared to unpowered, wired?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #2,114 of 2,709
I ask because, with the MDR-1000X, the difference between (powered, NC, wired), (powered, no NC, wired) and (unpowered, wired) is quite minimal (especially the last two), whereas with the Bose, the difference between (unpowered, wired) and (powered, NC, wired) is quite apparent.

I wonder, what is the point of powered, no NC, wired? How different is the sound quality compared to unpowered, wired?

I purchased the 1000x because of the NC feature and use it 100% of the time. However, your questions got my curiosity going. I find a pretty big difference in sound when I compare wired in two modes - power off and power on w/NC disabled. Powered off, I find the sound overall flat and muddy. Powered on, no NC sound is more defined and dynamic. It sounds to me there is something going on when powered on in wired mode versus powered off. I checked Sony's online product help and saw something interesting in the last 2 "Hints" on this page:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176181.html

It would seem there is some Sony "magic" going on that requires power on even for wired mode. I personally like it so I don't plan on listening wired without power unless the batteries are dead. In a quiet room, I don't hear anything noticeably different with NC on or off. It's powered on versus off, I hear the "magic" LOL.

One more note - I have a hard time hearing any different between wired/powered on versus wireless/Apt-X. But wired powered on versus wired power off difference is really obvious to my ears.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #2,115 of 2,709
The sound processors in these headphones are not just for NC. They also apply frequency response, filters and other tuning to correct deficiencies of the earpiece. Bose relies on the sound processor more heavily than most manufacturers to get good sound from the earpiece. The QC35 is only meant for powered listening (which applies corrections), and unpowered is only intended for emergency use when the battery is dead. Sony starts with a higher quality earpiece that needs less correction to sound good.
The point is, you can be listening powered/wired and switch NC on/off as needed. On the Sony, when powered off I find the treble to be rolled off and detail missing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back