Shure SE846 or Unique Melody Miracle?
Aug 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

paulomario77

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Just to give you some background information, I live in Brazil. I own a Shure SE846 and, although I love the phones, I was looking for Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves for better comfort and seal. The 846's were bought online at Earphone Solutions, shipped to a US address, and the daughter of a friend of mine brought them to me when she came to Brazil for vacation. Thus, all I paid for the earphones were US$ 1,000, there were no customs/import fees or taxes, which are pretty significant here in Brazil.

With the help of members like Kunlun, hockey_magnet, moedawg140, spook76 and Monty Burns, for whom I'm very thankful, I was able to get in touch with Claudia at Sensaphonics, who pointed me to Karina Otubo, an audiologist that lives in Sao Paulo and was trained at Sensaphonics. Karina sent me a quote for the SCS, R$ 1,120 (including the cost of getting impressions), which amounts to about US$ 475. I would also have to travel twice from Rio to Sao Paulo, first to have the impressions made and then, when she receives the SCS, for her to check the fitting and instruct me on how to insert/use the sleeves. I asked Claudia if I could just send Sensaphonics the pre molds (made by Karina) on my own, but she recommended that I should follow up Karina.

Well, the total cost of the SE846 + SCS would be R$ 3,470 (US$ 1,475). On the other hand, Unique Melody has a local representative in Brazil which sells the Miracle for R$ 3,200, including the cost for getting impressions / pre molds. Do you think it is worth to invest another US$ 475 on the SCS, or should I just sell my SE846 and get a UM Miracle instead? What would be the pros and cons for each scenario?

Thanks,
Paulo Mario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back