Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 9, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,926 of 6,080
IMG_4171.JPG
I am running iOS 10.3.1 and have never had an issue with my iPod Touch--Mojo--KSE combination. In fact, I have been using this combination since iOS 9.2 back in February of 2016 when I bought the KSE1500. The key is the Penon Audio Lightning decoder cable. It is a bit pricey at $135 but it is a real CCK camera connection not just the code and chip put into the cable.
http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

May 9, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,927 of 6,080
Wow, that is quite a bundle! I suppose if the sound quality is that much better, then certainly worth it. I didn't know you can use mojo jack for line-out. Can you use any one of the two jacks on the mojo or is there a designated one for line-out? I gotta try this out right now!! Is the sound quality of mojo that much better than the DAC in KSE1500... obviously, otherwise you wouldn't bother. So, you think it is the cable and not the mojo or KSE that my iphone is not recognizing? I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff. Thank you!

May 24, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #2,930 of 6,080
Got mine yesterday. For anyone interested , did a very quick comparison to my shure 846

Size : KSE1500 feels much lighter and flatter, the 846 felt bulky.

I listened to a few tracks only, what can you say about the KSE1500, amazing level of clarity and detail...wow, i was just randomly listening to music on Tidal and was amazed with anything that was not rock/pop etc etc.

Will it replace my Shure 846 : nope, The 846 has that fun factor when listening to my favourite genre , rock, and sometimes I just want to have fun and not worry about the details etc, the 846 is staying.

Value : hmmmm if I could only have one, the 846 easy winner, it's so good, it's fun, and plays nice with so many sources. I got my KSE1500 for £1000 less than retail with 16 battery cycles and even at that price.....I feel like I have buyers remorse ....though as soon as I hit a song I like and get pulled in....retail makes sense, for a portable, the sound is amazing.

May 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,933 of 6,080
Now that Astell & Kern has apparently fixed the issue of the 2,5mm balanced headphone out with the SP1000's, I wish SHURE will come soon with a balanced Amp module (balanced analog input). This will be a great upgrade to the KSE1500...

A&K SP1000 +KSE1500.jpg

Attachments

• SP1000-Shure KSE1500.jpg
    SP1000-Shure KSE1500.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,934 of 6,080
Now that Astell & Kern has apparently fixed the issue of the 2,5mm balanced headphone out with the SP1000's, I wish SHURE will come soon with a balanced Amp module (balanced analog input). This will be a great upgrade to the KSE1500...

I may be mistaken but do you mean you would like two separate channel output from the KSE energizer?

To me one of the main advantages of a balanced amp is the four active lines. Instead of simply a left, right and ground you have two lefts and two rights (one pushing and one pulling). Again, I could be wrong but the KSE energizer, like all electrostats, has four active lines because the stator in each ear are always in opposition (pushing and pulling). If I am correct then the KSE energizer is already outputting a balanced signal. Please illuminate me if I am wrong which is very likely.

Edit: I still own but no longer use the Ray Samuels F-35 Lightning amp which had both balanced and single input and only a balanced output. Honestly while I heard the merits of a balanced output (which again I believe the KSE has) I could not hear a difference with balanced inputs but maybe someone with better ears could.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,935 of 6,080
I may be mistaken but do you mean you would like two separate channel output from the KSE energizer?....

NO NO I wish that the KSE Energiser also had a balanced analog INPUT.

May 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,937 of 6,080
If an energizer or amplifier is well engineered and designed I was never able to detect an audible difference between a balanced or single analog input. I could never with my RSA F-35 Lightning, balanced output yes, balanced input no.

you may be right, but... I wish I could take advantage of the balanced 2,5mm out of the A&K SP1000.

but anyway, right now I am testing an alternative (trans)portable Electrostatic setup that, against all odds, sounds quite good :wink: So...I intend to try it, stacked with my A&K SP1000 when I get it :

KS03-SR009 1.JPG

plus this energizer includes a 6.200 mA battery that can also be used to recharge the DAP :)

KingSound back.jpg

May 27, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2,940 of 6,080
The downfall with the kse 1500 is how uncomfortable they are to wear due to the housing.
??? For me the KSE1500 are the most confortable IEMs I have ever used !. I use a 3 flange tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back