Shozy Alien+
Jun 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #226 of 539
Sooo folks, I am on board.
Aaaand straight away I am confused cuz most of my library ain't working in normal playback mode (folder), but works fine with random mode. Both cue and tracks. Really confusing.
WTH and how can I fiz it?
Most of my library is 16bit FLAC (tracks and cue -50/50) and I reaally wanna avoid converting it.

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #227 of 539
Sooo folks, I am on board.
Aaaand straight away I am confused cuz most of my library ain't working in normal playback mode (folder), but works fine with random mode. Both cue and tracks. Really confusing.
WTH and how can I fiz it?
Most of my library is 16bit FLAC (tracks and cue -50/50) and I reaally wanna avoid converting it.

Yeah.. it seems the Alien+ has been designed to work principally with WAV files and not FLAC.
I heard it can play 16/44 FLAC but not 24/192 FLAC (but it can certainly play 24/192 WAV).

What exactly is happening when you try to play 16/44 FLAC files in normal playback mode?

Perhaps @NLNH or one of the other Head-Fi'ers on here who own the Alien+ could offer some insights?
I've ordered one, but still waiting for it to arrive :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #229 of 539
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #232 of 539
@nmatheis Thanks for this review! Very informative!
And @msiekkb , I read your review and loved it!

You guys are killing me.. I thought my Alien+ would be delivered on Monday and the waiting is getting increasingly tough :p

At least I'll hopefully know how to use it now, once it arrives! I bought a micro USB cable and a new 200GB micro-SD card specially :D

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #233 of 539
thanks @Layman1

Alien+ is very good DAP, I very like his sound. When I listening music on other DAPs I don't feel emotional from music, textures and SQ is worse, no quantity body, only if I take AK380 SQ much better and textures, but Astell is more expensive and not good holography and natural weight of instruments like Alien+.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #234 of 539
IMGP6106.JPG

2pac, Bob Marley and Pink Floyd sounding excellent.
Good stuff!

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #235 of 539

2pac, Bob Marley and Pink Floyd sounding excellent.
Good stuff!

Wow, you can tell that without even wearing the headphones? :-O
You must really have amazing skills :wink:

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #237 of 539
I'm waiting for delivery of my Alien+.
I've spent the better part of two days converting all my FLAC files to WAV and sorting them all into folders.
I had to google to find out how to use Foobar2000 to batch convert FLAC to WAV first :D

This process also included some file cleanups/housekeeping that I've been putting off for a while; tracks that I'd found out were defective or glitchy, reorganising folders, etc.
I imagine someone with better technical knowledge could have automated the process further and done it much quicker, but hey ho :p

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #238 of 539

Re-posting

This thread needs a bump.

Yeah, and that's a good video to bump it with :)
Would be interested to hear more from you about how you perceive the sound signature, strengths/weaknesses etc :)

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #240 of 539
@Layman1 Have you heard the original Alien? By original I mean the Gold or any previous model. If so, I'll be greatly looking forward to your comparisons!

Unfortunately not.. My goodness, I really want to, but I just can't afford both >.<
I think @musicday is based fairly near to me in London, and he has the Alien+
We talked a while back about doing a meetup so I could hear it, but I was unwell for a while and it hasn't happened.
But once I get the Alien+, maybe we can get together, do some A/B testing and both share our impressions and comparisons of the Alien gold and Alien+ on here :)
@musicday , if you're reading this and interested, let me know :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back