Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #991 of 1,112
how to download Shanling firmware? I go to their website and http://www.shanling.com/download/List, but the link only show "http://www.shanling.com/download/List#modal" when I click.. and never go anywhere after that...

EDIT: nevermind... my "adblock" extension block it... after disabling it now it works...

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #992 of 1,112
Hi Folks - I said I'd put a tutorial up on how to change the screen out in one of my M5's.  Turns out I didn't take nearly enough pictures to do an effective tutorial, but more like a "here it is, and watch for this" message.

In January, I essentially destroyed the front of my Gold M5, rendering it useless.

Needless to say, I was bummed.  After much pleading and shipping charges, I was able to get Shanling to ship me the parts I needed.  Namely, a new screen.

The M5 is well built, solid aluminum for the frame, but certainly not unbendable as shown above.  During the rebuilt, a little hammer and a shield for the aluminum, and it was straight again.

The main part of the post.

Remove this ridiculously tiny allen screw.

BEFORE you perform the next step, use some tape to hold the power button in place or it will most certainly fly across room with the non-carpeted floor, with so many sound reflections, you will never, ever find it again.

Then using a "tool" I've never thought of as a tool until today's electronics - a suction cup to gently pull the carbon-fiber-looking back off of the unit.

Now that the unit is open, there's still quite a lot to do.  There are several screws that must be removed before you can get to the damaged screen, which BTW, loads from the front.  (These screws have already been removed in this pic)

Nice Design

After gracefully unplugging the bad screen, and getting the board out, it was literally brute-force to get the damaged screen thanks to some very sturdy industrial glue.

The next pics are of more info and gotchas.

See the nylon ring?  As one would surmise, that goes into the hole in the casing for the navigation wheel (which is in 4 parts, that can only go back together one way, but watch the silkscreened nav part). If you forget this nylon ring pictured, you get a rather nasty metal-on-metal scraping when rotating the nav-wheel

After you lay in the screen from the front, you'll need to secure it temporarily as reassembly is all from the back.  I used scotch-tape.

Couple pics on the ribbon connector for the screen.  Though they're not great pics, and from different angles, there is a lever which must be snapped in place once the ribbon connector-edge is inserted into the base-connector.

Open:

Closed

Reassemble.

Back again.

Note that I broke M5 in January.  Here is it, into March, and finally getting it fixed. 

After about a month w/o my M5, I bought another, so I could stop missing the music.  At the time, I didn't have a lot of confidence that I'd be able to fix my gold one.

Funny as it may be, I actually did fix the gold one. 

It's the one I'm going to keep, and I'm going to sell the new black one here.  :)

Thanks for reading.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #994 of 1,112
honestly just asking, I've been thinking about M5 and jvc combo.

jvc+m2 or+m3 will yield FANSTIC results.

Sold my fx750 not long ago. it will yield such richness in mids. Shanling usually brings mids to the forefront.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #995 of 1,112
cool.gif
I have my M5 coupled to an Aune B1 Class A amp. Oh My. The Bass is SO luxurious and precise.

I feel this is a permanent Pairing, at least for me.

wink.gif
wink.gif
TWIN

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #996 of 1,112
:cool: I have my M5 coupled to an Aune B1 Class A amp. Oh My. The Bass is SO luxurious and precise.

I feel this is a permanent Pairing, at least for me.

:wink: :wink: TWIN

I can see that.Got to out the B1 as well. I can "sense" the power and control of the amp. K3 with that too?

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,005 of 1,112
Hi Folks - I said I'd put a tutorial up on how to change the screen out in one of my M5's.  Turns out I didn't take nearly enough pictures to do an effective tutorial, but more like a "here it is, and watch for this" message.

In January, I essentially destroyed the front of my Gold M5, rendering it useless.

Needless to say, I was bummed.  After much pleading and shipping charges, I was able to get Shanling to ship me the parts I needed.  Namely, a new screen.

The M5 is well built, solid aluminum for the frame, but certainly not unbendable as shown above.  During the rebuilt, a little hammer and a shield for the aluminum, and it was straight again.

The main part of the post.

Remove this ridiculously tiny allen screw.

BEFORE you perform the next step, use some tape to hold the power button in place or it will most certainly fly across room with the non-carpeted floor, with so many sound reflections, you will never, ever find it again.

Then using a "tool" I've never thought of as a tool until today's electronics - a suction cup to gently pull the carbon-fiber-looking back off of the unit.

Now that the unit is open, there's still quite a lot to do.  There are several screws that must be removed before you can get to the damaged screen, which BTW, loads from the front.  (These screws have already been removed in this pic)

Nice Design

After gracefully unplugging the bad screen, and getting the board out, it was literally brute-force to get the damaged screen thanks to some very sturdy industrial glue.

The next pics are of more info and gotchas.

See the nylon ring?  As one would surmise, that goes into the hole in the casing for the navigation wheel (which is in 4 parts, that can only go back together one way, but watch the silkscreened nav part). If you forget this nylon ring pictured, you get a rather nasty metal-on-metal scraping when rotating the nav-wheel

After you lay in the screen from the front, you'll need to secure it temporarily as reassembly is all from the back.  I used scotch-tape.

Couple pics on the ribbon connector for the screen.  Though they're not great pics, and from different angles, there is a lever which must be snapped in place once the ribbon connector-edge is inserted into the base-connector.

Open:

Closed

Reassemble.

Back again.

Note that I broke M5 in January.  Here is it, into March, and finally getting it fixed. 

After about a month w/o my M5, I bought another, so I could stop missing the music.  At the time, I didn't have a lot of confidence that I'd be able to fix my gold one.

Funny as it may be, I actually did fix the gold one. 

It's the one I'm going to keep, and I'm going to sell the new black one here.  :)

Thanks for reading.

Is that an easily replaceable battery I see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back