Sennheiser HD650 or HD600 - Do they really need an amp?
Aug 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #46 of 72
Thank you for your time! I think a simple test would be as follows:

Your friend brings a few random sources of decent quality (laptops, smart phones, headphone amps) and a sound level meter to first normalize volume between sources. The less details you know about the sources beforehand (especially their price range), the better.

Then just pick your favorite song(s), and start comparing sources (which are named A, B, C...) making notes as your friend changes the source when you wish ("OK, give me source X now"). Continue until you can do some kind of ranking between the sources or at least have found your favorite one.

If differences are not found, you could try repeating the test with a lower/higher volume across the sources.

If you include sources in the test which you already own, there's a great risk that if you manage to identify those sources ("Ha! Source C is clearly my Valhalla!") during the test, you will retain a certain fondness for them which can lead to biased results as you make the familiar source your reference which all the other sources will be compared against.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 72
  Cool,

today I very briefly compared a PC w/ ALC889, Samsung S7 and Macbook Pro with HD600 and a FLAC file and each source sounded equally awesome :)

I can´t deny that I find it odd, because in my case I notice differences with every source. It's still the same headphone, they are really nice sounding, a little laid back if you ask me. But I hear differences with every source. Maybe it's all in my head. We should know soon. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #53 of 72
There's no doubt that the high impedance cans do.  I tried using my 650s without one as a test instead of my Bottlehead crack and the results were crappy.  The soundstage was tiny and the volume was minimal.  That was on a Firestudio mobile as well as TC Impact twin.  My my Prism Orpheus they were fantastic but the crack with tube rolling takes the cake.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #54 of 72
  I can´t deny that I find it odd, because in my case I notice differences with every source. It's still the same headphone, they are really nice sounding, a little laid back if you ask me. But I hear differences with every source. Maybe it's all in my head. We should know soon. 

Hi, created an account just to bump this thread. Has this test been carried out yet? This is by far the most interesting convo I've seen here (between Onma and alitomr). Or has it been carried out and there was no significant difference with and without an amplifier (or amplifier/DAC combo) when done with the test Onma suggested?

Thank you!

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #56 of 72
i think the best way to go may be getting a all-in-one machine, DAC+Amp. source is always more important than the headphone anyway. but it still does not stop us enjoying good music and instrument, happy listening

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #57 of 72
simple answer: YES, yes they do. they need, and deserve a good amp.

if you don't intend to amp then, then choose a different headphone. the HD555 or HD595 will still be open back headphones, but won't have the need for an amp in most cases. they will still benefit from and amp, but it won't be completely necessary.
Not true, I use HD600 directly connected to Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 10 tablet, and they play very loud even at 40% volume (max for my ears) with great quality similar to my Xonar STX II. They are easy to drive, they play with similar volume as my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm.
HD800 I heard are even easier to drive, so I don't know where are these 300 ohms :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #58 of 72
I have the 600. I used to listen to them on a Denon 80's reciever. You could tell they were good headphones. But I didn't love them. Then after a big sell-off/downsize I ended up with a Ragnarok. Wow. They were great. Flipped over to a balanced cable and nothing I bring in can touch them with regular cables - except very exotic stuff LCD-3.... . So yeah, the better they get the better they give, and it's not subtle.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #59 of 72
Can anyone give me some advice please? I'm getting Audient ID14 USB interface for recording and I'm considering getting HD600/650. Do you think the Audient would be enough to drive them? I wouldn't be getting a dedicated hp amp anytime soon, so I wonder if it's worth it with this setup..

Here are the specs of headphone out:

Headphone
Maximum Output Level +12 dBu

Into 30 ohms: +4 dBu
THD+N: 0.005%
Power: 101mW

Into 60 ohms: +5 dBu
THD+N: 0.004%
Power: 64mW

Into 600 ohms: +13 dBu
THD+N: 0.0025%
Power: 39mW
Reference Level +12 dBu = 0 dBFS
Voltage Gain +6 dB (optimized for loudness)
Output Impedance <30 Ohm Balanced
Frequency Response ±1.0 dB 10Hz to Fs/2 (load dependant)
Crosstalk -100 dBu at 1 kHz & 10 kHz
THD + N <0.002% (-94 dB)
Dynamic Range 108 dB un-weighted
111 dB A-weighted

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #60 of 72
Not true, I use HD600 directly connected to Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 10 tablet, and they play very loud even at 40% volume (max for my ears) with great quality similar to my Xonar STX II. They are easy to drive, they play with similar volume as my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm.
HD800 I heard are even easier to drive, so I don't know where are these 300 ohms :wink:

Not for nuthin'; but more volume does not equal more better. Gnome sane?
If you have a high quality source, and high quality recordings, you will have no problem discerning the improvement better amplification provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back