Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #5,206 of 12,199
Hey guys, I just placed an order for a Yggdrasil and I'm very excited. This may be a dumb question, but from what I've read in this thread, it seems that there is a 150-200 hour crucial burn in period that needs to take place before the Yggdrasil sounds its best. Is this just a matter of keeping the DAC on the entire time for it to reach its appropriate temperature? Or does music actually need to be constantly running through it?

It's recommended to leave it on all the time, even after burn in. But burn-in time usually refers to the hours when a signal passes through it.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #5,207 of 12,199
It's recommended to leave it on all the time, even after burn in. But burn-in time usually refers to the hours when a signal passes through it.
Thanks for your response! So to be clear, it's not enough to just leave it on for those 200 hours, but I should have music running through the DAC so it's actively converting the digital to analog, correct?

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #5,209 of 12,199
Thanks for your response! So to be clear, it's not enough to just leave it on for those 200 hours, but I should have music running through the DAC so it's actively converting the digital to analog, correct?

That's right. So it effectively resembles actual usage.

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #5,210 of 12,199
I'm looking to experiment with some AES cables myself as I'm using a very generic one. If you have bought one that you don't use anymore and would like to sell, send me a PM.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,213 of 12,199
Have had my yggy going on close to 3 months now. I think it's all the way there at this point. Listened to one of my favorite songs last night...one that I hadn't listened to since the yggy's full burn in...the song "Return to Forever" off of the original Return to Forever/Chick Corea album. Oh my God, what a trip through the galaxy that was. The imaging and sense of space was breathtaking...and those of you familiar with that album know it is not noted for it's recording quality.
Another random thought. I'm a drummer so of course I really tune into all forms of percussion when I listen. NOTHING does drums like the yggy. Drums are resonant, deep and as close to real as I've ever heard on headphones. And cymbals actually sound like real cymbals, weighty with all the tonal variations real cymbals have...not the electric sizzle you usually hear. Even the smallest percussive accents take a primary position in the sound stage. Listening to Return to Forever last night was like having Airto Moreira in my living room. Such great stuff !!!

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #5,214 of 12,199
I miss my Yggy out here at the work office. The Concero HD is filling in alright, but it's no yggy.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #5,215 of 12,199
I miss my Yggy out here at the work office. The Concero HD is filling in alright, but it's no yggy.

You know, my Mimby is a relatively satisfying substitute from my Yggy when I have to listen to music away from Yggy's location. It does a better job than any $249 DAC has a right to!

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,216 of 12,199
You know, my Mimby is a relatively satisfying substitute from my Yggy when I have to listen to music away from Yggy's location. It does a better job than any $249 DAC has a right to!
I hear ya! I have one of those too, as a matter of fact, it's on my downstairs home system as I type, lol. I have the yggy here too, but I'm not hooking it into the system until my Lynx souncard gets here, hope UPS gets here pretty quick! It says it's out for delivery. Then I'll hook yggy back into the system with AES, and the modi multibit will go back upstairs on my headphone rig, and the concero HD will have to continue to pinch hit out at the work office until my other yggy comes back from repair.

And yeah, that darn modi multibit has to be the best value of any DAC ever really. IMO it far outstrips it's price tag for sure!

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #5,217 of 12,199
NOTHING does drums like the yggy. Drums are resonant, deep and as close to real as I've ever heard on headphones. And cymbals actually sound like real cymbals, weighty with all the tonal variations real cymbals have...not the electric sizzle you usually hear. Even the smallest percussive accents take a primary position in the sound stage. Listening to Return to Forever last night was like having Airto Moreira in my living room. Such great stuff !!!
I'm not a drummer, but I listen to lots of live jazz. Just yesterday I was on the front row at SFJAZZ listening to John Scofield, John Medesky, Larry Grenadier, and Jack DeJohnette playing their new project "Hudson." Now listening to their album via Yggy on my living room, and I hear what you say about cymbals, DeJohnette's precise strokes come through as close to the live session as I could hope for at home.

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #5,218 of 12,199
Some of the guys at the local joint look at me funny when I told them that Yggy needs about 2 weeks at least to sound it's best. They speculated that it would only take a few hours to reach thermal equilibrium. Oh well what would they know. They rather trust their own speculations than someone who has experienced it.

In fact, Yggy after 3 weeks is only starting to show it's colours. Today I compared it with my turntable and whilst not exactly the same, Yggy does sound very vinyl. Only difference being that Yggy sounds more energetic and more defined whilst still sounding natural and organic like vinyl. Of course all of this depends on the system chain. I'm using Yggy with a tube amp and HD800, which is a great combination.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,219 of 12,199
I purchased my Yggdrasil 3 months ago. The first month it worked perfect. It has a great sound, I really enjoy listening to my music collection.

A weird problem started last month. The DAC kept randomly disconnecting from the computer. No noisy source LED, just one click as the relay switch went off. And once it went off the DAC never reconnected. I had to turn the Yggy off, disconnect it from power and wait 15–20 minutes before it could connect again. Sometimes it worked for a few days without disconnecting, some other times it took only an hour of listening to music before it went mute again. Extremely frustrating.

In the beginning I should point it out that previously I had used the same laptop and a Peachtree Decco2 for 5 years without a single connection issue. Anyways, I read Schiit's DAC Problems web page and followed all the Windows 10 audio setup instructions — no success.

I tried all 4 USB ports on my laptop — same result.

Even though the ifi iUSB3.0 permanently supplies 5V to the power line, I bought a Belkin externally powered USB 2.0 hub and put it between the laptop and the iUSB3.0 — no success.

Next I left the iUSB3.0 out of the chain — no success.

My wireless router is placed relatively close to the DAC thus I thought this could somehow mess it up. Perhaps the Yggy was more sensitive to radio waves so was the Wi-Fi disabled. No change.

Then I suspected that my USB cable was broken and purchased a PYST cable. The problem still persisted.

At this point I thought there's something wrong with my computer itself so I bought a Lightning to USB 3 adapter to connect my iPhone to the Yggdrasil. This setup gave me the same exact result; after a few songs the relay switch went off and that's it.

The only thing I learned is the longer the Yggy is turned off/disconnected from power the longer it works before it dies again. A heat-related issue?

By now I'm out of ideas. I ruled out everything I could think of but the problem still persists. What on Earth is wrong?

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #5,220 of 12,199
It sounds like your Yggdrasil is broken. How about contacting Schiit Audio or, if you are not in the USA, the distributor you bought it from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back