Schiit Mani
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #77 of 144
I have a Debut Carbon DC (though with Ortofon 2M Red) and the Mani and have no issues with noise playing through my integrated amplifier and only a very small hiss when playing though my Mjolnir 2 at high gain and high volume with my LCD-3's. I have attributed this small noise to the 3 meters between my audio rack and wi-fi router and my choice of RCA cables (single shielded).

Is the noise crackling? Hum? Distortion? If it's humming it could be a ground loop issue and you might want to pick up a Furman M-8X2 on Amazon to fix that issue and protect your gear. I also remember that before I picked up the acryl-it platter I could hear a decent amount of resonance/hum and reduced static by removing that felt mat which is a nightmare during the colder months. Upgrading your platter could be one solution, though a free solution might be rotating the wall warts of your mani and debut carbon to get the devices in phase with each other.

The last, and least likely, possible cause that I can imagine would be that your stylus may be misaligned. This is a lot trickier to check if you don't own a protractor to check cartridge alignment. The only reason I mention this possibility is the asymmetry of the noise between the two channels.

You could rule this out the possibility of a defective unit by asking a friend to borrow their phono pre-amp. If that's not an option you might want to pick up the cheapest phono pre on Amazon and return it once you've tested it out.

Hope that helps because vinyl really is worth the extra steps once you get your system dialed in.

Cheers

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #78 of 144
First of all I would like to thank you for the lengthy reply and advice, very much appreciated.

If I try to describe what I hear I believe it to be mostly a hum or ringing mostly which leads me to think it is some sort of grounding or interference issues I'm dealing with, or simply a byproduct of the amount of gain brought on by a pre-amp in general. I did hear some weird static/crackle noise with the audioquest evergreen, but i need to do a little more troubleshooting to prove its actually the cable and not everything else.

Your recommendations are a bit funny in the fact that I have already made strides in that direction. While I didnt order the audio rack version Furman you suggested, I did order another Furman with some rfi/efi noise filtering. I have heard others have had success with noise reduction with it. Also, I do plan on picking up the acrylic platter at some point, it has been in my "cart" since I bought the turntable but am just waiting for that indulgent part of me to just go ahead and click buy. I do find I get a lot of static electricity pops from the included mat, and want to eliminate that part....but thats more in the playback stage of things....im trying to clear up the non-playback noise I'm getting. Rotating the wall warts is something Ive never heard of or tried so I will give that a shot. 

I did also borrow another $10 pre-amp and tried it in my system, similar results. Around the same amount of hum/maybe less...but much less gain than the Mani so henceforth less noise. I did expect the Mani would be a little better at filtering out outside noise being a product at 10 times the cost, but then again the cheap made in china power adapter is probably the culprit. 

The cartridge/stylus was factory aligned but I did check it with a protractor and it seemed to be good.

I am loving my new TT and setup but I really (like you said) am trying to get it dialed in. I know it could be better and until I get there it will drive me crazy. Hopefully I would figure out a setup  that is "acceptable" in my brain and be able to kick back and enjoy. But just want to knock out a bit more of this noise that Im getting. 

Thanks again.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #79 of 144
I had a problem that sounds very similar to your problem. I isolated the whole audio setup on a power conditioner because it sounded like a ground loop or some freaky RF interference. That didn't help much at all. Better cables helped marginally. I even had the tone arm and cartridge replaced by Rega. (I'm using an RP1.)

In the end it was the Mani that had the issue. I sent it back to Schiit and when it returned there was no and I mean absolutely NO background hum unless I turned my Valhalla 2 volume up to over 80%.

I'm not saying your problem is the Mani; but it can happen.

May 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #81 of 144
  By adding the Swagman Labs PSU it has made the Mani smoother, darker, more refining, clearer and detailed. It has turned what is a very good Phonostage into a giant killer. That's what I was trying to get across in my previous post. The detail retrieval I am getting now is as good as my friends Sutherland I believe, plus voices are to die for now.
My RP6 "Rocks" through my Beyer T1's via my Schitt Magni2 Uber, which will be the next to get a Swagman Labs Signature Edition Filtered Power Supply Unit.  

I would like to hear more on the power supply swap. I just bought the MANI to replace my RQ970 Rotel and it really made a difference in sound. I can't imagine it getting any better, but I am open to options.
I have a JVC QL-y66 turntable that I now use an AT440Mlb cart and pass it through the MANI and Marantz SR5010 into some newly acquired Klipsh RF3 II speakers(wonderful speakers). I had been using the stock JVC200e cart (MC) that was ok, but sounded much better going to the MANI as I was able to use the 47k setting with a little higher gain that the RQ970 didn't allow for. Made a great difference, day and night. I went to the AT440 just because I do play older records and read that the 440 reads deeper into the tracks and more important I think has a lighter tracking force. It also sounds great with the MANI, and I really couldn't tell the difference between the 2 cartridges but the 440 has only had about 10 albums played so I don't know if it's had it's full break in if there's such a thing. Very very new to playing vinyl with decent equipment, so please bear with me.

I would definitely like to hear more on the power supply swap and if it really does, or can, make a difference since the mentioned Swagman is slightly more than the cost of the MANI.? I'm not doubting or down playing the opinion of Hawkertempest, I would just like to hear more input on the subject.

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #83 of 144
Ok here's my deliema. I have a at-lp60 cause I'm just starting out in vinyl. It has a built in pre amp but when I have it hooked into my asguard 2 I can turn the volume all the way up in high gain mode and it still is not as loud as it should be. My question is if I get a mani with it boost the volume or will it just take it to where it already is volume wise? Tia

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #84 of 144
Ok here's my deliema. I have a at-lp60 cause I'm just starting out in vinyl. It has a built in pre amp but when I have it hooked into my asguard 2 I can turn the volume all the way up in high gain mode and it still is not as loud as it should be. My question is if I get a mani with it boost the volume or will it just take it to where it already is volume wise? Tia

Are you sure you have the LP60 set to the correct output (Should be Line)?  The Mani does have higher gain and output, but I'm still surprised that you are able to crank up the Asgard.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #86 of 144
I'm sorry to hear it, but the Mani should fix the problem. I don't have much experience with the LP-60, but I have used the Mani + A2 as a headphone setup with a variety of headphones across the gamut of impedances with great results. As rmullins08 pointed out, the Mani will offer more gain, and if you're not stoked Schiit has a great return policy.

I hope that helps,
Cheers!

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #89 of 144
I ended up with the Swagman Labs power supply for the MAI. Very nice supply, well built and works great. Can't say if it made any difference in playback, but it's nice to know theres no starving of power and it's a clean regulated supply. The MANI sounds great anyway.
I did however, just upgrade to a MOON 110LP. Very nice, although I think the MANI comes very close. The MOON seems a little more detailed somehow, hard to explain.  I just had a case of upgrade fever. I thinks it's ended now. I will kep the MANI as it too sounds very good.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #90 of 144

I just sent Swagman labs an email a few minutes ago.  I want to be sure their PSU for Rega is OK with my 2016 Rega Planar 3, I assume it is.  How did you get them to make a PSU for your Mani?  Or is it a stock one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back