Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,441 of 1,697
Does anyone with a more recent Fulla 2 know if the QC issues that affected launch still occur?

e.g.
1. Static when adjusting volume
2. Crooked Knob
3. Channel imbalance
4. Tight USB ports(afaik this is fixed now)
etc
Just got mine yesterday.
1. I have no static at all (time will tell)
2. I have a crooked knob...not really an issue as it does not hit the case. I too would like it NOT crooked. I have a sneaking hunch that item #1 (static) comes from people trying to bend the knob back...lol. The only way to straighten it would be to re-solder the pot back to the board.
3. Channel Imbalance (only at the very earliest travel of the pot.) 0 = about 7:00 - by the 8:00 position my balance is dead on....very acceptable. Again time will tell if wear of turning the knob might affect this more. This too might be part of that trying to bend the knob as internals to the pot I am sure do not respond well to excessive forces.
4. Tight USB - Mine is firm and works perfectly with the supplied cable. I like that it grips firmly but nothing that seems improper.

Impressions. I have been using my Dragonfly Red as my only dac till I got this. I am listening right now going A/B with my Grado SR80e cans before work starts. I know it will take about 200 - 300 hours of break in before the ever so slight harshness in the highs smooth over a bit. I love open airy highs and this and the grados seem to be a good match for a nice even transparent sound. As for the difference between the two dacs so far. The best way to describe it is that there is more definition between elements in the music with the Fulla 2. Like each element has its own defined wrapper and is clearer. Everything is just a bit more distinct....but the separation and details come together nicely. I can only imagine what one of the better DACs offer sound wise.

For now the Fulla 2 will be my "at home" dac and use with my Grado RS2e units. I will still use the dragonfly red on the fly....if you will pardon the pun. Side by side there is a distinct difference and will pick the Fulla 2 easily over the Dragonfly Red...but if you take any more than a few seconds between switching...the differences are more subtil and the Dragonfly is a very good product and for mobile listening is hard to beat.

When I get my new ....read better unit for my desk in the next year (Looking squarly at the Jotunheim) I will move the Fulla 2 to my office as permanent duty at my desk.

For me (again so far....as a new purchase) The Fulla 2 is a LOT more than I expected for a measly $100.00.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,442 of 1,697
Wait a minute. Really?! I usually listen to jazz at "average" levels, and other stuff just a touch over (snarky puppy is "loud" enough for me on the AEON out of my iphone SE without maxing out... ...doesn't do an ounce of justice to the cans though) I need to investigate this further. Mine also distorts more on the right channel... :frowning2: ...and is packaged up with an RA. I really am not digging the 15% restock on a defective box...

Did Schiit respond? Curious what’s wrong with it...

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,443 of 1,697
I know it will take about 200 - 300 hours of break in before the ever so slight harshness in the highs smooth over a bit. I love open airy highs and this and the grados seem to be a good match for a nice even transparent sound. As for the difference between the two dacs so far. The best way to describe it is that there is more definition between elements in the music with the Fulla 2. Like each element has its own defined wrapper and is clearer. Everything is just a bit more distinct....but the separation and details come together nicely. I can only imagine what one of the better DACs offer sound wise.

I didn’t experience a change after 200-300 hours... IME that slight harshness disappears when you step up to a Jotunheim!

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,444 of 1,697
Just got mine yesterday.
1. I have no static at all (time will tell)
2. I have a crooked knob...not really an issue as it does not hit the case. I too would like it NOT crooked. I have a sneaking hunch that item #1 (static) comes from people trying to bend the knob back...lol. The only way to straighten it would be to re-solder the pot back to the board.
3. Channel Imbalance (only at the very earliest travel of the pot.) 0 = about 7:00 - by the 8:00 position my balance is dead on....very acceptable. Again time will tell if wear of turning the knob might affect this more. This too might be part of that trying to bend the knob as internals to the pot I am sure do not respond well to excessive forces.
4. Tight USB - Mine is firm and works perfectly with the supplied cable. I like that it grips firmly but nothing that seems improper.

Interesting! 2/3 of my Fullas had slightly crooked knobs. I didn't really mind it all that much either. The current one I have is quite level and was perfect upon arrival, but developed scratching in the right channel after 3 weeks or so of usage. Let us know if anything pops up.

Nice to hear that it's faring well against the DFR.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,445 of 1,697
My volume knob was straight and centered when I got it, but the scratching in the right channel (when adjusting volume) appeared after a few days of use. I've heard this has been solved in the latest units, but again time will tell.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,446 of 1,697
Yep, Just try (not my favorite track, but...) "Partition" by Beyonce past 11 o'clock or "Midnight" by Lianne La Havas :astonished:. (Loud) These tracks both start with a relatively clean deep but over the top bass (808/909 esque and low electric bass guitar respectively)- Fulla 2 literally died on both songs when the bass drops. Like, crackle, pop, no sound at all. :frowning2:

Are you using it with power from a charger/hub/whatever? Because I just tried this, and it worked fine. But also that's super super loud, and I'd never listen to music anywhere near that level.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,447 of 1,697
Are you using it with power from a charger/hub/whatever? Because I just tried this, and it worked fine. But also that's super super loud, and I'd never listen to music anywhere near that level.
I just tested that on mine with both songs. My headphones are very efficient and I was able to crank it up to 3:00 (for a few seconds....insanely loud)....crystal clear. Could your drivers in your headsets be damaged and the bass is bringing that problem out?

Roman

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,448 of 1,697
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, the dac in the Fulla 2 is the same one as in the Modi 2, correct? The Fulla 2 also serves as a dac/amp combo and is portable. Aside from aesthetically being able to "stack" with the Magni, is there any reason to go with the Modi 2, then, since they are the same price? I was thinking between these two combos:

Modi 2 + Magni 2u
vs
Fulla 2 + Vali 2

Would the sound quality difference from these two combos pretty much just come down to the Magni 2u vs Vali 2?

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,450 of 1,697
I am guessing the stand alone Magni 2 has a considerably stronger amp. at 32ohms we are talking Magni 2 = 1200mw vs Fulla 2 = 360mw.

So if you have hard to drive headphones that would be a consideration. Guessing otherwise there should not be an insane difference.

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't comparing the amp in the magni 2 to the amp in the fulla 2. I was comparing the dac in the modi 2 vs fulla 2, and the amp of the magni 2u vs vali 2. :)

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,451 of 1,697
Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't comparing the amp in the magni 2 to the amp in the fulla 2. I was comparing the dac in the modi 2 vs fulla 2, and the amp of the magni 2u vs vali 2. :)
My bad! Sorry did not understand the question. I have been doing a lot of research in that arena as well. Most say the Vali is not really a great representation of a tube amp. If your looking for tube at a good value you might want to look at something like the DarkVoice 336.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #1,452 of 1,697
I'm using a converter for my IEM. Why is it so that whenever I use an IEM with a remote control it has issues with the output but when I use a normal cable without the remote it outputs fine.
Is it got to do with the 3 lines and 2 lines of the 3.5mm on the connector? How to make it work with all my IEMs? Thanks

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,453 of 1,697
I'm using a converter for my IEM. Why is it so that whenever I use an IEM with a remote control it has issues with the output but when I use a normal cable without the remote it outputs fine.
Is it got to do with the 3 lines and 2 lines of the 3.5mm on the connector? How to make it work with all my IEMs? Thanks

Find a good adapter. I have a couple adapters from hosa and elsewhere, but the only one that works with both regular and mic cables is the one that came with my Sennheiser HD 6XX. Probably the contacts inside are shorting together some of the rings and ground contacts, causing mediocre sound.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,454 of 1,697
Did Schiit respond? Curious what’s wrong with it...

While I now think 65% there is something wrong with the amp section, I have decided to hold of returning it for a bit longer. (No, between my emails thus far, they have not offered any ideas) ... (and shipping to boston, from boston, then something back to boston seems lucrative for a $100 box)

I discovered my hifiman edition S really DID have a buzz on the right channel (which opened up and turned into an "edition S++" so to speak - they sure don't buzz anymore :). As for the aeon, I gave up. It is true, they are not distorting too much until about 10 to 12 on the knob OR a song with ridiculously low-end energy is on. The Aeon sounds best elsewhere, and DAC in the fulla 2 does sound really good.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,455 of 1,697

You will need something like this: headset splitter

Then you can just leave the mic side unplugged and use the 1/4" adapter on the headphone side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back