Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #811 of 3,234
Secondly, it seems to me, most people say that the buffer stage makes no real difference. I run my NP Tung sols in the buffer section, and just roll the gain stage. Is that correct, or should I be rolling all 4?

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #812 of 3,234
one of my Kenrads (in gain stage) is causing odd noises even with volume all the way down, as it warms up.
Sometimes cleaning the pins can help. Get some 100% isopropyl alcohol (NOT 90% or 95%) and some q-tips. Soak a q-tip in the alcohol and gently scrub the pins to remove any oxidation. To get behind/between the pins you might need to pull some of the cotton wool off the q-tip head so that it fits. Repeat with more q-tips until nothing more comes off (it could take 1,2,3,4,5 depending on how dirty the pins are). Afterwards they should look pretty shiny. Leave for 10-15 minutes to evaporate, and see how they sound.
Secondly, it seems to me, most people say that the buffer stage makes no real difference. I run my NP Tung sols in the buffer section, and just roll the gain stage. Is that correct, or should I be rolling all 4?
The buffer stage makes a small difference, but much less than the gain stage. Your strategy seems good for the moment.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #813 of 3,234
Are there good New Production tubes? I have 4 Tung Sol NP and a pair of Kenrad Staggered plates (amongst others). I agree with above comments, but one of my Kenrads (in gain stage) is causing odd noises even with volume all the way down, as it warms up. It seems to go away, but it bothers me. Anyway, this hit or miss buying old tubes on eBay is a bit obnoxious. Are there any really good NP tubes, that would fall in (or at least near) "Class A"?
I'm very happy with my Northern Electric 6SN7's.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #815 of 3,234
Has anyone tried the Sovtek 6sn7. That is the only new tube that I have not tried.
I haven't tried them but according to The Tube Store it is used as original equipment in many currently produced home audio tube amplifiers although they don't give any specifics.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #816 of 3,234
I received new Freya only a day ago, which included Sovtek 6SN7s . They are dead quiet, and,so far decent sounding-much better than expected.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #817 of 3,234
I received new Freya only a day ago, which included Sovtek 6SN7s . They are dead quiet, and,so far decent sounding-much better than expected.
I had the same experience with my Freya. Sounded good right out of the box and very quiet. I have upgraded the tubes to ones I already owned but certainly enjoyed it as is.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #818 of 3,234
The Freya finally took a schiit this AM, just filed an RMA on the Schiit site. I've not had any luck with their support line in a reply so let's see if Schiit takes care of me. Freya was purchased Feb 7th 2017.

Looks like I'm down to the Schiit Sys for now (talk about downgrade).
-----
@Mike, same deal - it cuts out randomly and needs to be touched to play. Talk about quirky! This morning it stopped working all together. I also tested all the inputs, both outputs, different tubes, jfet and tube modes in all combinations. Same issue
What happens when you play it back in Passive or JFET Buffer bypassing the tubes?

My Schiit Freya is on the fritz:

My Schiit Freya has been acting funny. Some people at the last Seattle Bottlehead HQ meet said it might be a bad ground but not sure. I've sent off an email to Schiit yesterday about it and another e-mail directly to their support/tech e-mail from previous issues with other Schiit stuff and nothing yet.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #820 of 3,234
I'm very happy with my Northern Electric 6SN7's.
Me too! I have 2 of the electro harmonic and 2 of the Northern (on the right side). I also agree with those saying the stock tubes didn't sound all that bad. I really like this thing with the Northerns though!

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #821 of 3,234
I just received my Freya on 7/22, unfortunately, one 6N8S has a dead triode, I substituted a short RCA 6SN7 for it in one of the cathode follower positions, turned it on and started listening Even though it has not burned in, I found the Freya to be quiet, expansive it it's soundstage, and not adding any coloration. The controls are easy to use, and the remote is fine for its intended application. I emailed Schiit for a replacement 6N8S, and found that I have a number of 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes to try, including 2-6SL7 brand new in the box, accepted by the government in January 1952. I intend to start with the stock tubes, but have a lot of options. Any thoughts?

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #822 of 3,234
I just received my Freya on 7/22, unfortunately, one 6N8S has a dead triode, I substituted a short RCA 6SN7 for it in one of the cathode follower positions, turned it on and started listening Even though it has not burned in, I found the Freya to be quiet, expansive it it's soundstage, and not adding any coloration. The controls are easy to use, and the remote is fine for its intended application. I emailed Schiit for a replacement 6N8S, and found that I have a number of 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes to try, including 2-6SL7 brand new in the box, accepted by the government in January 1952. I intend to start with the stock tubes, but have a lot of options. Any thoughts?
Glad you hear you're enjoying your Freya. I too found the stock tubes to be pretty good but have since replaced them. You certainly want to have the bad one replaced. If you decide to sell it sometime in the future you'll be glad you have a full set. I would agree with you regarding the sound (in tube mode). I love the way the base comes through and it definitely sets up a great sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back