Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
May 7, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #616 of 3,234
When you see a tube set like this, generally on ebay:

"Tubes tested: 2475/2450, 2200/1900 Micromhos"

Do the unbalanced numbers make for a potentially unbalanced set? One louder than the other or something? And is the 2475 vs 2200 the bigger deal or the 2450 vs 1900?

Thanks, I am still a learning tube noob...

P.S. the ones I just bought were: "Test 2400/2500 & 2500/2600" which I figured was pretty close, at least closer than a lot of them.

I second taht - also interested to hear the answer - thank you!

May 7, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #617 of 3,234
:thumbsup:

Amazing how companies can't make new tubes, eh? And to think those old tubes weren't produced for music and the new ones, well, they are aimed at audiophiles. What?

Actually Most New tubes are made for Guitar Players. That is where the volume of the market is. With Schiit Selling High volumes of Tube Based amps, this may change. The Prices of 6SN7 tubes have already been impacted by about a 20% price increase.

May 8, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #618 of 3,234
When you see a tube set like this, generally on ebay:

"Tubes tested: 2475/2450, 2200/1900 Micromhos"

Do the unbalanced numbers make for a potentially unbalanced set? One louder than the other or something? And is the 2475 vs 2200 the bigger deal or the 2450 vs 1900?
The 6SN7 is a double triode tube, so really two active components stuffed into one glass envelope. 2475/2450 are the numbers for the two triodes in the first tube, and 2200/1900 the numbers for the two triodes in the second tube.

In the Freya, each tube drives one channel. So imbalance between the numbers for the first and the second tube could lead to channel imbalance. For the two tubes you describe, if you average the two numbers for each tube, you are then comparing 2463 vs 2050 which is 20% or about 1.5db imbalance. Whether or not that is audible to you depends on your hearing. I usually try to get all four numbers within 10% of each other, and have never heard any imbalance.

The other things to note carefully is the relation between the given numbers and the "minimum good" numbers. These will vary depending on the tester being used, but should be stated in the item description. If the numbers are close to that minimum value (say within 15%) then the tube could be nearing the end of its life. Test results tend to stay stable for a long time and then suddenly drop, so a low score is potentially bad. However, a low-testing tube could sound great and last for ages. So if one comes up at a price you can't refuse, it could be reasonable to take a punt on it. Just don't pay top dollar, or even medium dollar, for one.

In the end, it's unclear that these test results are much more than a marketing tool. It's important that the tube have no shorts or other electrical faults so that it doesn't damage your gear, but beyond that how much faith you put in the numbers is more a matter of your psychological disposition than anything else. Even if you are diligent about test results, be prepared for a non-zero failure rate in your purchases. Buy from someone with a reasonable return policy and be willing to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #619 of 3,234
Have the Freyas started shipping again? The shipping date was previously 15 April and now it's 15th May. Anyone has their shipped if their order was placed in April?

May 16, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #620 of 3,234
Have the Freyas started shipping again? The shipping date was previously 15 April and now it's 15th May. Anyone has their shipped if their order was placed in April?
Haven't heard a word directly since late April when they forecast about a 2-week delay. Then the site was updated to the week of May 15. Hope they are on track for this one.

May 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #621 of 3,234
Haven't heard a word directly since late April when they forecast about a 2-week delay. Then the site was updated to the week of May 15. Hope they are on track for this one.

Always the same story with their dates. I hope they ship them soon.

May 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #622 of 3,234

I got this from Laura in customer service last week:

"If everything continues as scheduled, we should hopefully have them back in production before the end of the month."

Hopefully, everything continues as scheduled. If your waiting for parts it's out of your control.

May 18, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #623 of 3,234
Anyone has a pair of Hytron 5692 to sell if they're not using it?

May 22, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #624 of 3,234

Apparently not. There are further delays and now they will ship by end of the month, if all goes well.

May 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #625 of 3,234
Always the same story with their dates. I hope they ship them soon.

Just got notification. Looks like mine will ship today.

May 31, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #626 of 3,234
Does anyone Have any experience with these two tubes?

Sylvania 6SN7W made in USA.

General Electric "Electronic Tube" 6SN7GT made in USA.

Where do I find a compiled tube list with sound impressions?
Is there any good shops for buying tubes in mailand europe?
I guess it would be a total nogo to pair them in a freya?

May 31, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #627 of 3,234
I just received my Freya and have rolled in a matched quad of NOS Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA tubes:

s-l1600.jpg

I will use this setup with my powered monitors until Vidar is released and I buy some floor standing speakers. Well, I have some other 6SN7 matched pairs I will roll into the gain stage to see what I think.

Fun!

May 31, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #628 of 3,234
I just received my Freya and have rolled in a matched quad of NOS Sylvania 6SN7 WGTA tubes:

I will use this setup with my powered monitors until Vidar is released and I buy some floor standing speakers. Well, I have some other 6SN7 matched pairs I will roll into the gain stage to see what I think.

Fun!

Sounds fun. Keep the sound impressions coming.
What other 6sn7's will you be trying out?

May 31, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #629 of 3,234
Sounds fun. Keep the sound impressions coming.
What other 6sn7's will you be trying out?

Let's see, here is what I have:

4 - Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, Chrome Top)
2 - RCA CRC JAN 6SN7GT VT-231 (Smoked Glass)
2 - Raytheon 6SN7WGT (1952)
2 - Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W (Black Base, Short Bottle, Chrome Top from 1940's)
2 - Sylvania 6SN7GT (Gray Plate, Solid Bottom D Getter, a 2-hole version of the "Bad Boy", from the late 40's)

May 31, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #630 of 3,234
Does anyone Have any experience with these two tubes?

Sylvania 6SN7W made in USA.

General Electric "Electronic Tube" 6SN7GT made in USA.

Where do I find a compiled tube list with sound impressions?
Is there any good shops for buying tubes in mailand europe?
I guess it would be a total nogo to pair them in a freya?

Check out "The Reference 6SN7 Thread" here on head-fi, the first page is super, as well as earlier pages here. The Sylvania 6SN7W metal base so far for me is the biggest, widest, deepest, tallest, best focused detailed imaging tube yet. The short bottle doesn't have what the tall bottle does. Tung-Sol round plates are second. The late 1951to early 1953 Sylvania 3 hole Bad Boys (see the research about this tube on page one of the reference thread) are next followed by RCA 5692. Actually they are all pretty magical compared to new production. Just my musing with my system:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back