Sacramento Meet?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #61 of 78
I'm almost done with finals so I might be able to come. The San Jose meet a couple of months ago wasn't too bad, and I have completely changed my setup now as well.

May 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #65 of 78
Yeah a library room seems like a good option.

May 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #67 of 78
Hello Gents, I am an a ex-Sacramentan who would love to come back for a meet-up and visit old friends. I have the new AAW amplifier and phono preamp show along with Audeze and Fostex, and vinyl to blow you minds with.

Saying that I would like to note that I went to the Houston event last weekend (I now live in Austin) and it was a disaster. I tell you this because if you are going to do something try to do it right. The production of the Houston was totally failing and no one showed. Let me offer some thoughts on how to get it right as this too was held in a library.

1 - Know the rules of the site and tell everyone. Know when they open for set up, when you can open for headphone folks, when you have to strike the event and when the last of the crew have to be out of the building. Know all about parking, entering the building, the rules of the library as to noise and disturbances (I know head phone aren't loud but an excited group of devotees can be).

2 - Supply water and snacks at the least, know the rules at the event site covering all this, some places require a clean up fee know all this. Charge a few bucks at the door anyway to keep the flakes out and to cover this.

3 - Know about tables and chairs, the physical resources and assets of the site, and what will have to be brought in, tell everyone.

4 - Know who is coming, especially from the vendors. At the Houston event there was an amplifier designer (AAW) and a headphone researcher (Audeze), both could have given scheduled talks and Q&A on technology to draw attention to the venue, in the Houston case both were ignored.

5 - Market the event, the public is not the enemy, they are new enthusiasts looking to join the community. The goal is to spread the word, not circle the wagons. Post and re-post it on the forums, tell the local collage radio and news outlets, do PSAs for the PBS stations, audio and video, local colleges, the local vinyl and digital dealers, audio stores, and other web sites (vinylengine, audioKarma, etc.) Not hard, simple stuff.

6 - Organize, get some volunteers and spread the work out, get as many as you can, have each to just on thing they can be accountable for.

Think about what you would like if you were going, you will very successful and have a lot of fun. And after all, it is all about fun.

Barry Thornton

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #68 of 78
u will very successful and have a lot of fun. And after all, it is all about fun.
Hello, Barry.

Thank you for the pointers. I have been reading on the rules yesterday. For food I could make some chili, cookies, pies, or any other food that might be wanted. We need to commit to a date and place. Volunteers might be a little difficult to find.

May 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #69 of 78
From what I can tell most public places have very different rules for prepare foods and packaged foods. Packaged foods require no kitchen, have very little chance of making a mess (no roaches need apply), and no liability as to illness, contamination, or the like. You may incur a considerable clean-up charge for prepared foods and you should have a kitchen or kitchenette, and there could be a possible shut-down if the venue is not prepared for it and surprised.

I went to a meetup in Dallas a couple of years ago and the invitation it was suggested one bring peppers or salsa. Now this is Texas and we-all love our salsas and peppers, there were 6 or 7 types of salsa (no Pace Picante or New York salsa here, just home-made taste jewels) plus an assortment of dips and peppers. The fellow putting it on was an epicurean and let me tell you that it was a delightful afternoon of tasting and listening. Recipe swapping, story telling, outstanding headphones and quality music. One hell of a party without booze.

Since this is all about sensuality it is fair to mix it up a bit, have your attendees bring stuff, you don't need to cater to them but get them to join in on the celebration of the senses starting with the ear, then on to the tongue.

May 23, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #70 of 78
From what I can tell most public places have very different rules for prepare foods and packaged foods. Packaged foods require no kitchen, have very little chance of making a mess (no roaches need apply), and no liability as to illness, contamination, or the like. You may incur a considerable clean-up charge for prepared foods and you should have a kitchen or kitchenette, and there could be a possible shut-down if the venue is not prepared for it and surprised.

I went to a meetup in Dallas a couple of years ago and the invitation it was suggested one bring peppers or salsa. Now this is Texas and we-all love our salsas and peppers, there were 6 or 7 types of salsa (no Pace Picante or New York salsa here, just home-made taste jewels) plus an assortment of dips and peppers. The fellow putting it on was an epicurean and let me tell you that it was a delightful afternoon of tasting and listening. Recipe swapping, story telling, outstanding headphones and quality music. One hell of a party without booze.

Since this is all about sensuality it is fair to mix it up a bit, have your attendees bring stuff, you don't need to cater to them but get them to join in on the celebration of the senses starting with the ear, then on to the tongue.

I agree. I just hope more people respond here.

May 23, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #71 of 78
It's good we have members who have done it before chime in. Knowing the limits and getting it done right is important, especially for a small city like Sacramento where getting anything started can be difficult. Let's hope the first meet (?) Will be successful with potential for future events.

May 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #72 of 78
It's good we have members who have done it before chime in. Knowing the limits and getting it done right is important, especially for a small city like Sacramento where getting anything started can be difficult. Let's hope the first meet (?) Will be successful with potential for future events.
I will do my best. We need to try to set a date and commit for a location.

May 24, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #73 of 78
We had a very successful meet here in Austin when a local company let us use their break room to meet on a Saturday. You might consider contacting SMUD or another utilities, maybe on of your local head fi members has access to their employers break room or a warehouse., or a church, consider contacting the Elks Lodge out in Carmichael (I know a member I can ask for you). How about one of the colleges?

May 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #74 of 78
Let me offer an idea. As I see it one of the biggest problems is attendance. This Forum system is a pull marketing approach, that is people have to find out about meetup by searching diligently through thousands of post to get a clue something is going on in their area.. Out Tribe, headphone aficionados, must seek out and catch a specific tread to find out about a meetup. One of the major effects of the meetup is to attract new members to the tribe and re-energize existing members so we want people to come attend.

If this is true then we need to move from pull marketing to push marketing. Head-fi Central has the ability to do this without becoming obnoxious in the processes.

It would require their help in this matter. It looks like the 956xx, and 958xx zip codes cover the north part of the state.

Head-fi Central has the all the names of people in these zip codes.

If they would do a search and send out a Private Message (PM) to all these folks saying some thing benign like:

"Sacramento is have a meet up on (month, date) at (place), contact (organizer's PM address) if you would like to attend and/or help. See Forums, meet ups, Sacramento.or goto this link"

And include a link to the thread.

Not an ad but an announcement pushed to the geographical area. Our success is based on awareness of members and friends. This might make a major difference on the attendance and success of the meet-up.

As the organizer you might forward this idea to Jude. If they would do this it would make a hell of a difference for the smaller communities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back