Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind testing
Jun 4, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #1,351 of 1,376
Also to the moderator. How was my original post offensive? Isnt this whole thread a stab in the neck to every audio company out there? How can you let a rant like this continue? Isnt this completely offensive to the Zeus almighty audio companies gods? Wont the mighty sennhesier PR team come and complain about this post. Won't Audeze squad team be knocking on your front door by now? The host took on every audio company out there and my little tiny 7 words was more damagable than this whole thread.

Cheers

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,352 of 1,376
Also to the moderator. How was my original post offensive? Isnt this whole thread a stab in the neck to every audio company out there? How can you let a rant like this continue? Isnt this completely offensive to the Zeus almighty audio companies gods? Wont the mighty sennhesier PR team come and complain about this post. Won't Audeze squad team be knocking on your front door by now? The host took on every audio company out there and my little tiny 7 words was more damagable than this whole thread.

Cheers

This thread is mainly a joke. Junk science and phony intellectualism. All kinds of unsubstantiated claims about motives of audio companies, obscene profits and why a lot of stupid people buy stuff that is too expensive. It's a classic place for people who believe they know more than everyone else so they can feel better than everyone else. They often phrase it in terms of how they are trying to save the world from evil audio companies. They don't have enough self-awareness to realize they are promoting their own dogmatic views. As with so many places on the web, critical thinking and analysis is completely lacking.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,353 of 1,376
This thread is mainly a joke. Junk science and phony intellectualism. All kinds of unsubstantiated claims about motives of audio companies, obscene profits and why a lot of stupid people buy stuff that is too expensive. It's a classic place for people who believe they know more than everyone else so they can feel better than everyone else. They often phrase it in terms of how they are trying to save the world from evil audio companies. They don't have enough self-awareness to realize they are promoting their own dogmatic views. As with so many places on the web, critical thinking and analysis is completely lacking.

Hahaha. Yes sir. You are right. I fear your post will mysteriously disappear soon.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,354 of 1,376
[1] Isnt this whole thread a stab in the neck to every audio company out there? [2] How can you let a rant like this continue?

1. No, it's not. Only to the rip-off audiophile companies.
2. You do realise this is the science forum? It's perfectly OK here to rant on occasion about how the science is being perverted in order to rip-off audiophiles.

Junk science and phony intellectualism.

Agreed, so why don't you stop it then?

G

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,355 of 1,376
I fear your post will mysteriously disappear soon.

Hopefully it will but it won't be mysteriously, it will be because it's offensive nonsense from someone who is guilty of exactly what he's accusing everyone else of and is butt-hurt that he's been called-out on it. Hopefully the last few posts, including these last two of mine, will be deleted and we'll get back to the actual facts. You do realise this is the science forum?

G

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,356 of 1,376
So there is no end game, night and day, total bliss, out can or system if I just drop a few more grand (s) maybe many more, or wait for the next upgrade? I hear if I just drop my drawers and buy Dave and utopia I will know what I'm missing, or susvara, or Orpheus 2... now I'm confused, sarcasm off

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,357 of 1,376
Hopefully it will but it won't be mysteriously, it will be because it's offensive nonsense from someone who is guilty of exactly what he's accusing everyone else of and is butt-hurt that he's been called-out on it. Hopefully the last few posts, including these last two of mine, will be deleted and we'll get back to the actual facts. You do realise this is the science forum?

G
Yes yes i understand. This thread triggered me it seems.

Cheers

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,358 of 1,376
So there is no end game, night and day, total bliss, out can or system if I just drop a few more grand (s) maybe many more, or wait for the next upgrade? I hear if I just drop my drawers and buy Dave and utopia I will know what I'm missing, or susvara, or Orpheus 2... now I'm confused, sarcasm off

I notice you have Hugo and the TT? Any difference in your opinion? Major or little?

Cheers

Jun 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,360 of 1,376
Why? it's all there in post 1347, only you put it in the quoted part. Click the "Click to expand..." link and you can read it, even "the so call offense parts".

No i rewrote it again. Kind of double post it without the quote and that was deleted.

It dosnt matter anymore. This is all silly anyway

Cheers

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,361 of 1,376
What we should not forget however is for what purpose all this end-game pursuit consequently, if not for our relative/subjective happiness. :) At the moment, just enjoy.

Only sharing my subjective experience. After A/B testing music sound quality from my new $200 portable DAP, and old laptop soundcard. I was quite surprised to find myself liking the sound of the laptop better. Although it has more hiss/background noise. I found that the sound is for me better, more-favourable. This taught me that even though something may be more expensive, has more technical features, etc. It will all eventually comes to our personal taste. Even though I was quite stubborn then, expecting the new toy (DAP) to perform better to my liking. But unfortunately several A/B testing prove otherwise. Fortunate for me, I could sell the player in the market with not much loss. But imagine being in a similar situation with $2000 desktop DAC, which doesn't sound much different than a $200 one. I think it would be more excruciating.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,362 of 1,376
What we should not forget however is for what purpose all this end-game pursuit consequently, if not for our relative/subjective happiness. :) At the moment, just enjoy.

Only sharing my subjective experience.. After A/B testing music sound quality from my new $200 portable DAP, and old laptop soundcard. I was quite surprised to find myself liking the sound of the laptop better. Although it has more hiss/background noise. I found that the sound is for me better, more-favourable. This taught me that even though something may be more expensive, has more technical features, etc. It will all eventually comes to our personal taste. Even though I was quite stubborn then, expecting the new toy (DAP) to perform better to my liking. But unfortunately several A/B testing prove otherwise. Fortunate for me, I could sell the player in the market with not much loss. But imagine being in a similar situation with $2000 desktop DAC, which doesn't sound much different than a $200 one. I think it would be more excruciating. Just my humble opinion.

It's all up to the implementation. My iPhone is amazing compared to my dac. My laptop is amazing compared to my dac. Both are cleaner than my dac/amp combo, more convenient to use and I can tweak the sound to however I like.

I've tried countless headphones and dac/amp combos but you know what? I can get the exact sound I want for free, with a pair of transparent headphones and a laptop or rooted android phone that has a clean output.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,363 of 1,376
EDIT 2: Okay, somehow I thought that the quote I was responding to was removed, so I removed my response. Turns out I just missed it scrolling up. In retrospect, it wasn't worth the response anyway, so the record will show that I had to edit a post twice in the space of a minute.

Nice day everybody?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,364 of 1,376
I notice you have Hugo and the TT? Any difference in your opinion? Major or little?

Cheers

Significant difference from hugo, don't give % ever....plus balanced out xlr to my amp so double bonus. I like hugo too as a portable.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,365 of 1,376

Only sharing my subjective experience. After A/B testing music sound quality from my new $200 portable DAP, and old laptop soundcard. I was quite surprised to find myself liking the sound of the laptop better. Although it has more hiss/background noise. I found that the sound is for me better, more-favourable. This taught me that even though something may be more expensive, has more technical features, etc. It will all eventually comes to our personal taste. Even though I was quite stubborn then, expecting the new toy (DAP) to perform better to my liking. But unfortunately several A/B testing prove otherwise. Fortunate for me, I could sell the player in the market with not much loss. But imagine being in a similar situation with $2000 desktop DAC, which doesn't sound much different than a $200 one. I think it would be more excruciating.
I ran my 846 from a phone and i pad for a while after i got my first totl iem, not bad. Hugo improved it for sure but once you become accustomed to correct timber, bass tightness, note depth, the iPhone and iPad become noticeably different. there are differences between my fostex hpa8 akm chip dac and my fga hugo, certainly differences again between hugo and my TT. granted this has generated preferences in use for me as well as the cans that i use with each..... notice i never stated better or % but to me there are advantages to dac amps....the budget is independent and i don't mock folks that have price points beyond mine and i know there are price points beyond even them....however there is an endless if i spend more shtick for what, that i think we all can be satisfied, at whatever price point you are comfortable with, in this hobby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back