Rate the DAPs you've heard
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

gerelmx1986

Headphoneus Supremus
I've decided to make this forum as there is one for IEMs

Let's rate our DAPs (dead or alive)

I'll go frist

1 will be first place and the Nth will be the looser, you can add your chain, e. G. DAC/amp stack

1)Sony Walkman NW-ZX100
2)Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 + Oppo HA-2 (Via Fiio L5 analogue out)
3)Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
4)Fiio X3 1st gen
5) Walkman NWZ-X1060
6)Walkman NWZ-A818
7)Walkman NW-E507
8)JVC Discman in the 90's
9)iPod Classic (2009) 160GB

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 36
901s balanced
901 minibox
120 II
QRP
DX90
Studio V
DX50
Nova N3

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 36
FiiO X5 2nd gen is nice mid fi, but apparently FiiO X7 is summit fi, and first hearing tests show it to be a giant killer even better than 901s. This can only be good for the industry.

Other than that i don't like the warm sound of the Astell&Kern 120mkII, so it rates way down the list for my hearing.

Colorfly C3 is nice but has a clinical sound.

FiiO X3 2nd gen is a feisty competitor but ultimately loses out to the bigger boys.

iPod 7th gen has a nice clear sound and good soundstage. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 36
Interesting i rated my ipod as the worst
biggrin.gif
 i found the music so lifeless (maybe ebcause i never amped it)

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 36
on a 1 to 10 scale of DAPs I like with 10 being the best:
-10 for those who make nasty noises when close to an active cellphone.
0 for those hissing with my sensitive IEMs (studio V, ak100, dx50, xduoo x2, most sonys......most DAPs really. and most of those are in fact also in the -10 area, save for the sonys that are usually well shielded against EMI)
5 for everything that is relatively silent, most cowons, most FIIOs, sansa clip if we disregard the annoying buffering noise)
10 for anything from 0 to 9 plugged into a proper amp, but you disqualified those ^_^.

I guess what I like the most in music, is silence from anything that isn't music
deadhorse.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 36
SONY ΖΧ2
Ibasso DX90
Cowon J3
clip+

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 36

Yes i would have to agree. It had good clarity and natural sound etc with good soundstage, but like you say, it seemed a tad lifeless, and not sure why though.

a friend of mine told me the iPods use a $1 to $3 DAC chips (lower range)

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 36
  a friend of mine told me the iPods use a $1 to $3 DAC chips (lower range)

Just like smartphones and FiiO DAPs, so Apple is not alone. Most DACs cost that... $1 - $15 max. If i owned a company i would stop dicking the customers around and just put in the latest Sabre DAC $12 and be done with it. Give the customers prime time at negligible cost! Sick and tired of these tech companies holding out on us.
angry_face.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 36

Just like smartphones and FiiO DAPs, so Apple is not alone. Most DACs cost that... $1 - $15 max. If i owned a company i would stop dicking the customers around and just put in the latest Sabre DAC $12 and be done with it. Give the customers prime time at negligible cost! Sick and tired of these tech companies holding out on us.
angry_face.gif

As far i know sony DAPs use their in-house developed DAC/AMP chip called S-MASTER HX, is really good thing and the circuit implementation too, I have a huge soundstage in my ZX100 walkman, i can hear the distant "unda maris" (organ register like vibrato like) and the Bass wood pofaune pipes, 32-foot, some brass reeds and the trumpet near me... I can differentiate between the rela trumpet and the organ imitation pipes... more important and amazingly i can feel the room (inthis case a cathedral)

Sony has improved their SQ over the years since 2004 i had my firt walkman to the legendary X series in 2009 the firt with S-MASTER, the A17 walkman last year and this one represents the pinnacle of sony's SQ, maybe the zx2 is the true flagship

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 36
  As far i know sony DAPs use their in-house developed DAC/AMP chip called S-MASTER HX, is really good thing and the circuit implementation too, I have a huge soundstage in my ZX100 walkman, i can hear the distant "unda maris" (organ register like vibrato like) and the Bass wood pofaune pipes, 32-foot, some brass reeds and the trumpet near me... I can differentiate between the rela trumpet and the organ imitation pipes... more important and amazingly i can feel the room (inthis case a cathedral)

Sony has improved their SQ over the years since 2004 i had my firt walkman to the legendary X series in 2009 the firt with S-MASTER, the A17 walkman last year and this one represents the pinnacle of sony's SQ, maybe the zx2 is the true flagship

Can the digital upscaling function be switched off? And do you think this Sony player beats the FiiO X5 2nd gen? Thoughts appreciated, i'm still looking for another DAP.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 36

Can the digital upscaling function be switched off? And do you think this Sony player beats the FiiO X5 2nd gen? Thoughts appreciated, i'm still looking for another DAP.

Yes you can switch it off in the settings menu > music settings or in the music playback screen one quick press on the OPTION/PWR OFF button opens a menu, you'll see a DSEE (HX) option: select OFF and OK, and you're done.

For the fiio x5II i cannot comment as i don't own one
frown.gif
 but the fiio x3 I had i found it to be super warm thing giving a werid stage and spearation issues

I found the DSEE HX on my walkman to add an artifical sound, like artifical widening, reverb so i turned it off

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 36
Since you are making your own thread go off topic 
biggrin.gif
....The reason Apple uses $3 DAC chips is because with the quantities Apple buys, they can get them that low.  It is not saying they are poor quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back