Questions about S4i or Sub $40 In-Ears
Apr 1, 2013 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

boweldi

New Head-Fier
Sorry for making another s4i thread but after reading many threads, I am still confused about the quality/value of these phones.

I currently own a pair of Audio Technica M50s and Thermaltake Isurus and i think they both sound great. The isurus are amazing at the $10 i got it for. i LOVE the sound of the M50s, but I simply cannot handle it on my ears for extended periods of time, they started to clamp down on my ears and cause soreness. 
I listen to all kinds of music. ie. EDM, hip hop, some rock, r&b, etc.

Now I am considering a pair of S4i, but I keep reading threads that either praise it or bash it. 

1. I understand at full price, it probably is not the greatest value but I can easily pick up a pair for about $35. So are S4i's considered a good value at that price point?

2. Also is the only difference between S4i, S4i II and Rugged ONLY the wiring/cosmetic design?

3. What else can I snag for about $40 considering sales or buying used WITH microphone, remote buttons would also be nice, but mainly need microphone. 

Thanks guys!

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Sorry for making another s4i thread but after reading many threads, I am still confused about the quality/value of these phones.

I currently own a pair of Audio Technica M50s and Thermaltake Isurus and i think they both sound great. The isurus are amazing at the $10 i got it for. i LOVE the sound of the M50s, but I simply cannot handle it on my ears for extended periods of time, they started to clamp down on my ears and cause soreness. 
I listen to all kinds of music. ie. EDM, hip hop, some rock, r&b, etc.

Now I am considering a pair of S4i, but I keep reading threads that either praise it or bash it. 

1. I understand at full price, it probably is not the greatest value but I can easily pick up a pair for about $35. So are S4i's considered a good value at that price point?

2. Also is the only difference between S4i, S4i II and Rugged ONLY the wiring/cosmetic design?

3. What else can I snag for about $40 considering sales or buying used WITH microphone, remote buttons would also be nice, but mainly need microphone. 

Thanks guys!

i too was in your situation (had $30 to spend) and did some research on s4 but i found out it's not that great for its price
i got ue 500 instead ($27 on amazon) and i was very satisfied with their sound quality
to be honest tho, it is really hard to find an iem with decent SQ, builty quality and those features you're looking for under $40 :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 9
i really disliked the s4 2's, cheap build quality, the sound quality wasnt that great even though reviews rave about them, i picked mine up on ebay for 10.00 and definitly felt like the quality was far less than what i expected. if you need the talk control and your looking atthem for other reasons other than just sound quality they might be for you. but imo i was really unimpressed.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
i really disliked the s4 2's, cheap build quality, the sound quality wasnt that great even though reviews rave about them, i picked mine up on ebay for 10.00 and definitly felt like the quality was far less than what i expected. if you need the talk control and your looking atthem for other reasons other than just sound quality they might be for you. but imo i was really unimpressed.

for 10 bucks are you sure they werent defective or fake?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 9
S4i was my daily iem for a year. Then I learned about better IEMs.

Honestly, I prefer Brainwavz R1 (which I bought for my son) to S4i. Only thing lacking in R1 that annoyed me was the recessed mids, but that's compared to SE215 which has great mids for the price.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 9
S4i's are a bad joke. Don't waste your time.

Get apple earpods refurbished for $15. Superior sound quality, mic, ff, rew, volume controls. Put on foam covers and fit and SQ improve markedly again.

Or, go to the mega IEM thread and chase your own tail for however long you'd like.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 9
i got my hands on a pair of apple earpods while i wait for the s4i to arrive.
they seem to be pretty nice for vocals and acoustic songs, but anything other than that and my isurus outperform them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back