Project Ember Tube Rolling
May 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,971 of 3,354
Thanks, Tunkejazz!

I am quite content and thrilled with the sound of the dual Visseaux and Tung Sol 6J5G. We have the same vintage Raytheon 6SN7 and that is a great tube as well.
I just can't help myself when a tasty worm or new lure is tossed into the lake.

NSBO (New Shiny Bright Object!)

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,972 of 3,354
Nice!

I'll be waiting for your results.

Is the 6SN7W a metal base, or if black base a short or tall glass?

can't say as I have nothing to compare it to though non of the sellers specified the height of the glass sadly

I'll have pictures if the three soon!

May 19, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,973 of 3,354
20170519_234850.jpg

The two nicer Sylvanias, ones a GTA 6sn7W the others a Jan-CHS 6sn7

I've swapped into the Chrome Dome 6sn6 GTA Chrome Dome... and WOWZA this thing sounds NICE, getting some details out of the Meze 99 Neo I have, that I haven't heard yet!!! Though it's not quite as 3D as the cheaper tube was :/ , here's to hoping that crazy JAN-CHS does the trick for me!
20170519_234928.jpg

with the lesser one

So far I can say it's a nosier version of my Electro Harmonix 6SN7s, sounds not bad, but I do think a faraday cage would help... it's not pictured but I've got a stainless steel paring knife on the back nuts, it really does help a little with the noise

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,974 of 3,354

The two nicer Sylvanias, ones a GTA 6sn7W the others a Jan-CHS 6sn7

I've swapped into the Chrome Dome 6sn6 GTA Chrome Dome... and WOWZA this thing sounds NICE, getting some details out of the Meze 99 Neo I have, that I haven't heard yet!!! Though it's not quite as 3D as the cheaper tube was :/ , here's to hoping that crazy JAN-CHS does the trick for me!

Starting out with the less one

So far I can say it's a nosier version of my Electro Harmonix 6SN7s, sounds not bad, but I do think a faraday cage would help... it's not pictured but I've got a stainless steel paring knife on the back nuts, it really does help a little with the noise

oooooooh wow, sound stage is reallly good on the 6sn7w, pairs really amazingly with my W1000X!!! Had to install a little TinFoil shield though, touch of noise was driving my nuts, my stainless steel knife wasn't working... had just enough to make a little tent ^^ now it's a happy little tube!

the Jan-CHS 6sn7w does sound the best, to start with it's a little microphonic, doesn't like to be touched or looked at, but it is the quietest, didn't make as much noise as the first two, still using the shield though in a different spot... it is a little bassier than the 6sn7 GTA, still not sure if I like that or not, oh yea, I do like it... Transcendental Tripping's intro bass line is... a little over emphasized with some headphones/gear

so to start the GTA 6sn7 Chrome Dome did a nice job masking some of the audible distortion the meze 99 neo has, but swapping into the 6sn7W Jan-CHS, I get the nice mids of the 6sn7 gta, but with a more powerful cleaner bass, which doesn't mask as much on the low end.

To the people who says these are bass light, aren't kidding! It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be, but compared to my PicoPower this amp doesn't have as much bass, though power amps have a good clean controlled low end, with more gusto on the Pico Power

But the JAN-CHS 6sn7W isn't as tubey as the GTA 6sn7, the mids aren't quite as forward, so where the 6sn7 gta would add a nice dynamic boost to a flatter slower headphone, the JAN-CHS 6sn7W doesn't, it's got better clarity for sure, which... is kinda nice, kinda not...

For what it's worth, while I appreciate the JAN-CHS it's not as much fun to listen to as the 6sn7 GTA, and at triple the price... It's a tough call. If you've got a really transparent headphone, and you want to preserve that, It'll do well

And... ooooooh! YEA... yea I'm diggin this bad boi... last time I heard that kind of SNAP on the percussion of So What, was with my LA D5k, out of my Starlight! With a VokShod... nice to get that kinda SNAP back,

Need to make more concise notes, an listen to these tubes with a better headphone than the Meze 99 neo, but this is my last night with it so I'm making due. Plus the 99 Neo isn't as clean in the bass as the Classics were, it's a little softer and loose. The Ember II and 6sn7 jan-chs pair nicely with that softer loose base I think. Out of a solid state, the Meze 99 Neo's flaws are more apparent

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,975 of 3,354
Any who, moving onto the next triple shoot out, I've got 2 sylvania v231s. 1 Black Base white label just sylvania Vt 231, and another black base, green labeled as 6sn7 GT Jan-CHS vt 231

I have to say, I'm really liking how these sound! An enjoying having a couple of these, I'm really impressed with the Ember!!!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,976 of 3,354
Just to reiterate what @nwavesailor said, I wouldn't use a 6F8G without shielding. My Raytheon VT-99 (6F8G) hums annoyingly loud in the left channel. Moving my hand near the tube or touching the thumbscrews quiets it down. With the amount of great tubes out there that don't require any type of cage... why bother?

I have 2 6f8g's and not a hummer in the bunch, cheap too.

May 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,978 of 3,354
NU and Raytheon. I haven't heard hum or any change in any circumstance. I did have to clean the corroded pins and top connector with a metal cleaner. Pretty corroded but they are now shiny, like new. Everything plugs in to a socket saver so they sit kind of high but I never noticed anything when plugged in direct to the Ember I with super charger.

May 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #2,980 of 3,354
Hi everyone,

I am very new to tube rolling. Just got my ember II a week ago and pairing it with hd650. (I got a grado hp1000 hp2 on the way as well)Like it better than the bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade for the versatility.

I like warm, vivid and 3d sound. I prefer warm, intimate vocals. Can anyone recommend me some tubes to start with? I was thinking of getting a amperex 6dj8 orange globe first..

Also, what type of adapters should I get from garage12 to fit more (and better) tube options? I see on some post on this thread a dual tube adapter is used but I can't find it on the garage12 product page?

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,981 of 3,354
Hi everyone,

I am very new to tube rolling. Just got my ember II a week ago and pairing it with hd650. (I got a grado hp1000 hp2 on the way as well)Like it better than the bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade for the versatility.

I like warm, vivid and 3d sound. I prefer warm, intimate vocals. Can anyone recommend me some tubes to start with? I was thinking of getting a amperex 6dj8 orange globe first..

Also, what type of adapters should I get from garage12 to fit more (and better) tube options? I see on some post on this thread a dual tube adapter is used but I can't find it on the garage12 product page?

Thank you!

Hey there! Your in SC as well that's awesome man didn't know I had another neighbor so close. For warm sound I've always looked to Mullard, though I don't know high end what's worth while, people also Praise Ken Rad tubes for their BIG bass, chances are that bass will also have some Low Mid body bump as well, so it should give you a nice full sound too. For duals, I can't help you much... and sadly even for warm tubes I'm not super experienced but try checking out this page for 6sn7 options https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

May 22, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,982 of 3,354
Hey there! Your in SC as well that's awesome man didn't know I had another neighbor so close. For warm sound I've always looked to Mullard, though I don't know high end what's worth while, people also Praise Ken Rad tubes for their BIG bass, chances are that bass will also have some Low Mid body bump as well, so it should give you a nice full sound too. For duals, I can't help you much... and sadly even for warm tubes I'm not super experienced but try checking out this page for 6sn7 options https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

Nice to see you here! I am located at Clemson. Thanks for your information on the 6sn7! I am going to try some of them out soon.. Really excited for the new toys!

May 22, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,983 of 3,354
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Yes, the Amperex Orange Globe (be sure it is Holland production) 6DJ8 would be a good choice. I also have an Orange Globe 12AU7 that is very nice.

The dual adapters are from an E-Bay seller. I'll add the seller's page after I post this. You may want to start with single tubes and no adapter before going crazy and too far down the tube rolling rabbit hole:nerd:!!!

May 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,984 of 3,354
Yes, the Amperex Orange Globe (be sure it is Holland production) 6DJ8 would be a good choice. I also have an Orange Globe 12AU7 that is very nice.

The dual adapters are from an E-Bay seller. I'll add the seller's page after I post this. You may want to start with single tubes and no adapter before going crazy and too far down the tube rolling rabbit hole:nerd:!!!

Thanks for your advice, that makes a lot of sense. Yes, just placed an order of an Amperex Orange Glod made in Holland 6DJ8 on ebay, can't wait for it to arrive on Sat! The 12AU7 will have more power? It might fit the hd650 better than the grado hp1000 then.

May 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,985 of 3,354
Nice to see you here! I am located at Clemson. Thanks for your information on the 6sn7! I am going to try some of them out soon.. Really excited for the new toys!

Mhm, this is an excellent place to get started, and I agree with @nwavesailor singles are a great place to start! Do let us know what you find, as I have no experience with singles, and if your ever in Myrtle Beach hit me up!

Thanks for your advice, that makes a lot of sense. Yes, just placed an order of an Amperex Orange Glod made in Holland 6DJ8 on ebay, can't wait for it to arrive on Sat! The 12AU7 will have more power? It might fit the hd650 better than the grado hp1000 then.

Actually, I use Low Resistance setting for almost all my headphones, so really I wouldn't worry about power, the Ember II drove my HE 4 and then did equally well with my Nhoord Red V1. Sadly though, I don't have any 300/600 ohm headphones in my collection. But you could swap up into Medium Resistance with the HD 650,

But your in for a real treat with the Grado's and the Ember :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back