PK2 died, time for an upgrade?
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

edenn

New Head-Fier
I think I finally managed to kill my Yuin PK2's, but maybe I can resurrect them with a cable replacement, who knows.

For prolonged use I really love the shape of the Yuin's, and would probably be looking for something similar.
Most of their use were listening to podcasts, radio, TATW recordings and a little bit of music every now and then.

If I wanted to listen to something a bit more serious I usually turned to a set of DT770's, or a pair of iem's.
Sadly headphones I never enjoyed wearing, and that is why I got the PK2's in the first place about ten years ago!
To me the DT770's are a bit too base heavy, and the vocal just seems hard to make out a lot of the time with them.
The iem's I only really own because that is what I have to use on boats, airplanes and trains...
Even though they are custom molded, it is not a joy to use.

What I am trying to search for is an upgrade to the PK2's, with a similar shape, but not a flag-ship.

Since they will be used mainly where mids are important, but hopefully will be good enough so I don't have to switch to something else if I want to get a bit more serious about listening to some music with orchestra, and classical.

For the latter part I am looking for something totl that is good enough that I won't be tempted to go to headphones again.
I heave heard about the Blur's, but besides a littlebit of mentioning here I don't know about options in this range.

(Note: 99% of the time I'll be using odac and objective2 amp, if the totl earbuds happen to do better with a more coloured amp, then suggestions are welcome)

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 11
~100 for the Yuin case ones
~200 for the other ones (this one I got good time for, beginning of september to arrive to me is still considered 'early')

I'm not very good describing that, but analytical is always something I've leaned toward, as bassy, forward or any attempt for a single range to be very dominant kinda turn me of,
however I don't have enough time with cans that I know are one way or the other, so hard to pinpoint.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Sorry, I am confused. You are looking for two different IEM's?
I am looking for no IEM's.

What I am looking for is two earbuds.

i. Prolonged everyday use in similar shape to Yuin housing, an upgrade to PK2, but don't have to be flagship.
Should not be super critical to source, and no resessed mids.

ii. High end, possibly flagship, will be used souly for critical listening, more toward then neutral side than v shaped possible.
Hopefully good enough that I will not want to turn to headphones as I've been forced to with the PK2's.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Just gotta say there are very few earbuds out there. Everyone is trending to iem's so that market is going to be pretty small. Earbuds do not isolate very well and that is what most portable users want so that is what most makers gear for. I myself can not stand earbuds for more than a hour before it hurts my ears. Your ears must be setup for them that's fine with me but I doubt your going to find too many other earpods I could be wrong though.

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Check out the Shozy Cygnus. It could potentially work for one of your two purposes. It is terrific.
I will try look them up a bit more.

Just gotta say there are very few earbuds out there. Everyone is trending to iem's so that market is going to be pretty small. Earbuds do not isolate very well and that is what most portable users want so that is what most makers gear for. I myself can not stand earbuds for more than a hour before it hurts my ears. Your ears must be setup for them that's fine with me but I doubt your going to find too many other earpods I could be wrong though.
I am painfully aware.
There is probably no store around here that even stock earbuds, except the ones that come with the iPhone/Pad.
The very worst is that I could probably mow down quite a few of the 'iem' users every day if I didn't watch out well.
Nose in the phone, and iem's blocking all the sound while then walse down the street...

The moment my transit is over and the loud engines are shut down my custom iem's come out.
Regular iem's I can't listen to more than two songs on before I have to let my ears rest.
If I want to block out sound a set of earmuffs + earbuds just works better :d

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 11
@edenn not sure if you have made a decision yet on what to buy, but I wrote some impressions on an affordable earbud (sub $20) that uses the Yuin PK shell which may be suitable for your everyday use.

NiceHCK DIY PK2, impressions here and here

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 11
I haven't yet.

So far I am checking out the Cygnus, but it is close to a month delivery, and I have to go away for a few weeks in mid july, so I probably won't be ordering anything before I am sure it won't arrive when I am gone.

I'll try check that out, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back